PDA

View Full Version : how do you make a butter sauce for pasta?

shivam
07-22-2014, 07:55 PM
see the title. i have this awesome ravioli of corn and squash and i want to make a great sauce for it.

Googleshng
07-22-2014, 08:52 PM
Take this bare bones alfredo sauce (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/alfredo-sauce-2/) recipe, throw some extra butter in, maybe a little flour if it's getting too thin, some black pepper, maybe some asiago?

upupdowndown
07-23-2014, 09:51 AM
actually, for a ravioli, I'd recommend that you NOT do an alfredo.

instead, try doing a browned butter and sage sauce.

what you'll need:

- butter
- fresh sage leaves
- salt and pepper

all you need to do is just cook the butter on medium low heat until it melts. keep watching it. when it starts to get brown and smell nutty, throw in some minced sage leaves, and salt and pepper to taste. toss with freshly drained pasta.

throw in some freshly grated real Parmigiano Reggiano and you will have an amazing taste that should sing with veggies.

Violentvixen
07-23-2014, 01:34 PM
The key to remember to actually eat the pasta and not just eat all the buttered sage leaves like I tend to do.

Paul le Fou
07-23-2014, 09:04 PM
I was gonna say sage browned butter sauce too, but was waiting for someone who's actually made one before to do it for me.

Solitayre
07-24-2014, 07:07 AM
That seems like a lot of butter. Is it possible to replace some portion of the butter with something less terrible for you, like milk?

upupdowndown
07-24-2014, 07:34 AM
See: a butter sauce is supposed to be thin. It is a very light coating on your pasta. When I make brown butter sauce I'll use about 2 tablespoons of butter for 4 servings of pasta.

If you add milk it's no longer a butter sauce and you're really going in more of a bechamel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechamel) direction. which isn't a problem per se, bechamels are fucking great. But they are very different than a butter sauce - much thicker and with a different flavor.

taosterman
07-24-2014, 11:52 AM
I'd love advice for pasta sauces in general. I've made successful pasta so many times via recipe, but I'm a dunce at winging it - everything I do on my own never feels flavorful enough, no matter what oils, cheeses and seasonings I use.

(the exception is pesto, which always turns out just dandy)

shivam
08-02-2014, 12:31 PM
so i made the best butter sauce. i took a stick of butter, melted it down, hucked in a bunch of sage leaves gently torn, two mashed cloves of garlic, and a bunch of fresh peas, and it was amazing.

as far as other sauces, here's what i've been doing with my tomatoes from the back yard-
cut in half and seed. toss in olive oil with finely chopped garlic, finely chopped shallots, and fresh herbs (i used basil and marjoram and sage cause it was handy). roast at 375 for like 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
pull out of oven, and either skin the tomatoes yourself, or used a food mill. your sauce is good to go. if you want, add some wine and butter to finish.