PDA

View Full Version : RE: The Star Wars Roundup

Torgo
06-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Mincing whining and disagreement that no one cares about, but hopefully will spark discussion!

- Jedi Academy is pretty much Jedi Outcast + lightstaffs and duel sabers. How is that a bad thing? I mean, it certainly doesn't feel as polished as Outcast, but it's essentially the same game.

- Jedi Power Battles: If we were talking about the Playstation version, I'd totally be on board. While the basic hack 'n slash gameplay is solid, it's riddled with shoddy graphics and bugs. The DC version is a huge improvement. It's still pretty flawed, but a number of fixes + Ki-Adi Mundi as a playable character makes this version, if nothing else, at least playable. To each their own though I suppose.

- I'll admit it upfront: The PSX Phantom Menace game does kinda suck. But it will always win in my heart for the sort-of-open-ended Mos Espa stage, which has several completely pointless side quests for Qui-gon to undertake. You can also wander around town and massacre everyone, but you can't finish the level if you do. What truly makes it wonderful though is that I found a spot in the stage that resets whatever you might have done to flag yourself as a murderer. Once I managed to pretty much slaughter the entire town and still come to Annie and his mom as the kindly Jedi. (Please try not to think about how much I actually played this level to find this.)

Also: There is a Ota Gunga level that has the player, as Obi-wan, running around slaying hostile Gungans (or innocent, friendly ones if you like). How is that not awesome?

- I would call you (or whoever) gave Age of Galactic Empires Battlegrounds II a thumbs up out, but then I remember that I can't stand Age of Empires II, so my opinion of this game is far from objective. It's an alright game I guess.

- Big thumbs up on your thumbs up of Yoda Stories GBC. Big thumbs down on your Retronaut cohorts on Starcraft week dumping on the PC version (aka Yoda's Desktop Adventures.) It's a little coffee break game, meant to fill in a few extra minutes, and on that level, the game delivers in spades. If you jump in expecting X-wing, of course it's going to seem like crap. It would be like booting up Spaceward Ho! (http://deltatao.com/ho/) and expecting Civilization IV.

- I own Star Wars Monopoly The PC Game. And it is about as exciting as it sounds.

That's it.

Vahn16
06-02-2007, 10:30 PM
In elementary school, I had a friend who played Galactic Battleground. I thought it was kind of weird that space-age technology stil needed lumber and other materials in order to operate. I told my friend and he proceeded to explain why things like that were needed as it was relevant to Star Wars. I still think it's just because Galactic Battleground was basically a Star Wars mod for AOE II, but I could be wrong.

Torgo
06-02-2007, 10:39 PM
No, that's pretty much what it is. Bias aside, it's a solid game... well, I only call it solid because apparently a lot of people thought AoE2 was. Which it wasn't. It was only slightly less broken then it's thematically much cooler predecessor (which at least has the excuses of being the first in the series and being made before Starcraft.)

I like to picture the discussion went something like this:

Ensemble Guy: Hey, instead of breaking the game by overpowering siege units, this time lets overpower cavalry instead.

Development Lead: BRILLIANT.

poetfox
06-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Your all-robot army faction thing needed to grow food. That's all I really have to say about Galactic Battlegrounds.
Star Wars Monopoly in board game form, at least the version I played, is exciting because the hotels are these large phallic things, so you get to have all kinds of conversations about erections you might be building. I find that exciting, anyway.

Alex
06-03-2007, 01:05 AM
The original Jedi Knight has an awesome fan mod community. Check it out at massassi.net

They're still going! Holy shit. They're going to milk the engine of a damn near ten-year old game for all it's worth, I guess.

Jeanie
06-03-2007, 05:35 AM
I liked Jedi Academy myself. Some thoughts:

-The female Jaden's voice was done by Jennifer Hale, who many remember as the voice of Bastilla.

- Dual Lightsabers were really fun but really overpowered. Dual-Bladed sabre? Not so fun.

- What's with all the catwalks and ledges? Seriously 1/4 of my kills were from pushing people over to their deaths.

- The movement tricks (wall running, wall jumping, the super dash foward jump) well pretty cool, but completely useless.

-Rosh needed to die anyway.

Torgo
06-03-2007, 06:45 AM
The original Jedi Knight has an awesome fan mod community. Check it out at massassi.net

SBX @ JHS?

Jedi Knight is an amazing game, and I'm glad to see it's still got good support even over a decade later. Too bad finding games online is something of a pain now, finding servers and manually punching in ips and whatnot. Lucasarts unwisely chose to have most of their games in the late ninties run through the irksome MSN Gaming Zone for multiplayer (which dropped its support of its remaining CD-rom games last year). Boo.

Dart Zaidyer
06-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Jedi Academy was rather disappointing. It had all these good ideas and features Jedi Outcast should have had, but it was all executed very poorly and wrapped around a one-dimensional story starring forgettable characters. It felt like an expansion pack rather than a full game.

I think the reason JK and Mysteries of the Sith are still popular is because Raven Software's lackluster entries to the series still don't hold a candle to their design.

Alex
06-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Using the ninja mod in single player to cut through an entire room of enemies, turning around, and seeing them all drop in unison is such a genuine thrill.

Lumber Baron
06-03-2007, 01:12 PM
I was so bad at tangling up AT-ATs with tow cables in Shadows of the Empire that I always had to kill them will lasers. Took you ages, but it was still possible.

dangerhelvetica
06-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Jedi Academy allowed me to play as a Rodian Jedi, and for that I am thankful.

admozan
06-03-2007, 02:55 PM
A long time ago... I remember calling all the Toys R Us stories in St. Louis looking for the NES Star Wars game. I actually ordered the hint book because it was so flippin' hard. Whoever designed the trash compactor level -- featuring rows of spikes immediately after conveyer belts -- deserves a punch in the face.

VsRobot
06-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I bought one of those Jakks TV Games where the controller looks like Darth Vader's helmet. The controller is cooler than the games.

My favorite Star Wars videogame experience (and among my favorite video game memories of all time) is sitting in the cockpit style arcade game and shooting down vectorized Tie-Fighters.

http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/gameon/star_wars_cockpit_arcade.jpg

Torgo
06-03-2007, 08:55 PM
I think the reason JK and Mysteries of the Sith are still popular is because Raven Software's lackluster entries to the series still don't hold a candle to their design.
I disagree. As excellent as JK the game is, the unmodded sabering is pretty simplistic and underwhelming. Jedi Outcast is a huge improvement.

That said, the Saber Battle X mod definitely gives JO a run for its money.

Vahn16
06-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Gametrailers just put up a top-ten Star Wars games list, which includes a few we've discussed. I disagree with their choice for number one, Jedi Outcast, but other than that, it's pretty good. So anyway, here it is http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2111.

Jeanie
06-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, not my choice either. That would be KotOR for me.

Swordian
06-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I became far too skilled at Shadows of the Empire.

Vahn16
06-04-2007, 01:19 PM
I must admit, I loved Shadows of the Empire. People give it a lot of crap these days, but I played it all the time as a kid. I just don't understand how you can hate a game that has jetpacks and yetis. Oh, and also Star Wars; but it's been proven that you can hate a Star Wars game.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 01:28 PM
...it's been proven that you can hate a Star Wars game.

Your typo speaks the truth. I have had the misfortune of playing Phatom Menace for PS1, Shadows of the Cash Grab, Rogue Squadron for N64 and Super Star Wars (Call me crazy, but I found it to be distinctly lacking in fun).

I, without reservation, hated them all.

I do, however, love Episode I Racer for Dreamcast and the Namco Star Wars for Famicom.

Kirin
06-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I actually remember liking Super Star Wars, at least enough to buy Super Empire Strikes Back as well. This was, of course, back when they were new, so I couldn't say how well they've aged. I picked them up over the Jurassic Park games, though, which I think was pretty impressive at the time (zomg dinosaurs were hot).

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
A lot of people LOVED Super Star Wars. I will freely admit that the graphics and sound were nothing short of stunning, but the actual gameplay was horrid.

It was a typical American-designed platformer. Poor difficulty balance, long, tedious stages and jumps requiring far too much precision all added up to kill my enjoyment.

And the less said about the Mode-7 stages, the better.

Vahn16
06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Your typo speaks the truth. I have had the misfortune of playing Phatom Menace for PS1, Shadows of the Cash Grab, Rogue Squadron for N64 and Super Star Wars (Call me crazy, but I found it to be distinctly lacking in fun).

I, without reservation, hated them all.

I do, however, love Episode I Racer for Dreamcast and the Namco Star Wars for Famicom.

It wasn't a typo. I was saying that it is possible to hate a Star Wars game. Thus showing that the Star Wars liscense was not the only reason I liked Shadows of the Empire.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 02:12 PM
It wasn't a typo. I was saying that it is possible to hate a Star Wars game. Thus showing that the Star Wars liscense was not the only reason I liked Shadows of the Empire.

Ah, I mistook your intent, and I do apologize for the assumption.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point, but not your love of SotE.

Torgo
06-04-2007, 02:19 PM
The Super Star Wars trilogy is very good. Whenever I bust out my SNES, I always fire up Super Return of the Jedi and have a blast (no pun intended.)

What I reject is the notion that the games got harder and the formula more tired in each successive game, or at least the Empire is the most difficult. I could at least beat that one, the original of the three I recall being a relentlessly brutal game; I never even got Luke is saber. Jedi is definitely the easiest and most refined of the three... except for Wicket being broken and all. (Apparently the Ewoks defeated the Empire because their bows were more powerful then blaster cannons.)

And yeah, I don't mind post-Hoth stage Shadows of the Empire either. At this point I thought I was the only one left in existence.

Mightyblue
06-04-2007, 02:59 PM
I think gameplay wise, the space sims are my favorite SW games, followed by the Jedi Knight series (Outcast more than I or Academy), though I did like the diversification of saber combat in Academy. SP in that disappointed the heck out of me though.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 03:05 PM
The X-Wing series were the pinnacle of Star Wars gaming to me, which is why I loathe Rogue Squadron so. If you are going to give me a wingman, make him able to take care of himself. A wingman should help you with the mission, not be an artificial difficulty booster by being completely frigging useless at engaging an attacking enemy.

Torgo
06-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Two questions:

1) Is it bad that I've never played any of the flight sim games?
2) Is it worse that I don't even care?

I'm not trying to be combative or anything. I loved Totally Games' take on Star Trek, Bridge Commander, but X-Wing/Tie Fighter, for whatever reason, holds absolutely no fascination for me.

Mightyblue
06-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Dude, the later ones are just awesome. If you like combat flight/space sims at all you are missing out. You get to fly practically every kind of fighter in the movies (and a few from the expanded universe). Doing strafing runs on Star Destroyers and dogfighting is just crazy amounts of fun.

sfried
06-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Why no love for Rebel Assault?

Sarcasmorator
06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Cause FMV games are terrible?

Eusis
06-04-2007, 06:14 PM
But it was the closest thing we had to having new Star Wars movies before George Lucas showed us why to be careful what we wish for!

sfried
06-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Cause FMV games are terrible?

Not all of them...

Dart Zaidyer
06-04-2007, 07:57 PM
I own Rebel Assault, and let me tell you: It's dumb. Imagine Rogue Squadron, but with all the slick fancy polygons replaced with 320x200 pre-rendered FMV everything circa 1993. Now take away the fun parts, replace them with short, endlessly looping scenery on rails, throw in an occasional "navigate this level without hitting the wall and exploding instantly" segment, and cast your hero as "Rookie One", a nameless, eager nobody who starts out on Tattooine (just like Luke!), joins the rebellion and scores major victories in all the movie battles, then makes the trench run and destroys the Death Star. (Just like Luke!) Oh, and for some reason you blow up walkers and get lost in a damn cave on Hoth before that happens, too.

dangerhelvetica
06-05-2007, 07:34 AM
I'm rather surprised that Rebellion got a thumbs up. The game had good strategic chops, but the interface was... hellacious. One playthrough could very well likely give a person carpal tunnel. So many windows and icon dragging that didn't work and Han Solo shouting at you "I can't do that!" Plus, the graphics for the combat scenes were embarrassingly bad, even for the era that Rebellion came out in (post Jedi Knight).

It had its redeeming qualities. It was sort of like a combination of Risk and Clue, where you'd send out scouting teams to try to find the enemy's leaders, which might end in a gigantic space battle that was actually kind of cool. But it was just so frustrating to actually try to play the damn thing.

Falselogic
03-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Whoops