PDA

View Full Version : Fun Club 7: Orange Box - Half-Life 2 (story talk)

Parish
10-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Talk about how awesome Gordon Freeman is in your imagination! But hide your spoilers, gang.

Merus
10-10-2007, 12:14 AM
A story:

One of the first things you see in Half-Life 2, after you get off the train, is a crate. This is the last crate you see for a while, and it's placed there as a tribute to Old Man Murray's start-to-crate rating system.

reibeatall
10-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm not so hot on Podracer: Source.

Adrenaline
10-11-2007, 09:53 PM
What do you mean?

reibeatall
10-11-2007, 10:08 PM
The entire airboat thing. Maybe for 10 mintues, it would have been fine, but goddamn that lasted entirely too long. At times, it felt like a really boring version of Star Wars Episode 1: Podracer.

And I'm not getting this game, guys. I mean, it's ok and all, but why did the collected PC gaming crowd all nerdgasm their pants when it came out? Is there something I'm missing?
Maybe it just hasn't gotten good. I just got to Black Mesa East, so maybe the game will pick up soon.

Adrenaline
10-11-2007, 10:35 PM
If you don't love it, that's ok. I think it's an amazing triumph of design and presentation. But why did you post a gameplay complaint in the story thread?

Makkara
10-11-2007, 10:41 PM
And I'm not getting this game, guys. I mean, it's ok and all, but why did the collected PC gaming crowd all nerdgasm their pants when it came out? Is there something I'm missing?
Maybe it just hasn't gotten good. I just got to Black Mesa East, so maybe the game will pick up soon.

That means you haven't gotten the gravity gun yet, right? I think it's safe to say it does pick up.

Adrenaline
10-12-2007, 05:16 PM
End of Episode Two: The gameplay climax is a bit frustrating because of all the Hunters, but still a really awesome setup.

Storywise, NO, ELI! I was actually just so worried that something would happen to Alyx that it was a relief when they just killed him. It wasn't that surprising, I didn't exactly expect it but he seems like just the kind of character that you can kill off for drama. I really hope they can do Episode Three faster so we can finish this thing.

dangerhelvetica
10-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I really enjoyed this episode, a great more than Episode 1 which I felt was largely forgettable (so the recap at the beginning definitely helped). It didn't feel quite as aimless as Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 did, I felt like there was always a goal to be achieved and something that I wanted to have a resolution to. Of course, the previous two episodes did have a goal, but rarely one that I actually cared about.
It was great to see the nod to Portal in there, I'm willing to guess the portal gun will show up in Ep. 3. The one fault I would consider with it is that we still have almost no idea about who or what the G-Man is. I came in expecting to learn a little more, and he was great in the scenes he was in, particularly the one with him sitting at the desk at Black Mesa. But he taunts me. I think I only spotted him once this time, and I so want to find out what his deal is, that's what I've been wanting to know since the first Half-Life, and I've got this feeling of being dragged along. Well, since Ep 3. is the end of this trilogy, I'm willing to guess we'll have at least a few more satisfactory tidbits about him.

Adrenaline
10-12-2007, 10:13 PM
If the portal gun does show up, I bet it's in a very enclosed situation, like the super-gravity gun at the end of HL2/beginning of Ep. 1. That would be cool though.

dangerhelvetica
10-12-2007, 10:30 PM
If the portal gun does show up, I bet it's in a very enclosed situation, like the super-gravity gun at the end of HL2/beginning of Ep. 1. That would be cool though.

I'm almost completely certain it will. With Aperture Science showing up at the very end, and all of the big mistakes like Black Mesa having been related to portals (and the ship, can't recall the name being referred to as a possible new Black Mesa), it seems like a lock.

I'm also excited at the prospect of using the portal gun during combat. Throw one portal at the top of a tall ceiling, and then just send everyone you come by through the other end. Hilarity.

Daydreamer
10-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Is anyone else disappointed by an early part of Ep.2 like I am? The game play is fine, and even has a few neat things, but ... The Vortigaunt follower you get pisses me off because he seems like a normal model-swapped human. A huge disappointment considering the best part of the HL2 story is how alien the aliens are and how well it channels that Lovecraftian fear of the unknown.

Adrenaline
10-14-2007, 08:01 PM
They did redesign it, but it didn't bother me.

Maggie
10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
I just finished Episode 2 and everyone was right, it IS way better than Half-Life 2. I enjoyed the environments and scenarios much more and I was never really bored.

I especially liked the brain bug in the barn. Yich. What a great setpiece. I think that's the word I'm looking for.

Adrenaline
10-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Set Piece seems reserved for memorable large scale battles/action sequences, not really surprising and affecting story scenes.

Maggie
10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Hmm, in that case, I'm not sure what I'd call it, exactly, to capture what I had in mind. But everything from the wreck outside to the realization that something big is in the barn and you're just gonna have to go in there, was really great.

Adrenaline
10-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Yeah, that was awesome.

Schmidt
10-22-2007, 01:04 AM
IBL!

Just finished Ep2. I think I preferred the gameplay of Ep1, though obviously the plot moves along more in Ep2. Or rather, Ep2 has a plot. Ep1 is basically just an epilogue to HL2.

Also, I put a gnome into space. Which made the driving sections tedious, to say the least.

Adrenaline
10-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Did you find him yourself?

Schmidt
10-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Yes, I did.

Adrenaline
10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Argh, I had to see a video

Schmidt
10-22-2007, 11:52 AM
I had to ask for tips on section where you've got to outrun the helicopter in your car, but the answer was basically "Yeah, it's hard, you have to abuse quicksave and luck, keep trying."

Stiv
10-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Episode 2 surprised me because Gordon Freeman pushed a button in a story sequence and for once nothing bad happened.

Adrenaline
10-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Episode 2 surprised me because Gordon Freeman pushed a button in a story sequence and for once nothing bad happened.

Well, for a little while.

Excalibrate
10-23-2007, 06:20 PM

Guys...spoilers...be careful. As small of a detail as it may seem, what you are sure is going to happen after pressing that button is a major part of the story, whether or not it actually happens.

Schmidt
10-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Guys...spoilers...be careful. As small of a detail as it may seem, what you are sure is going to happen after pressing that button is a major part of the story, whether or not it actually happens.
That's not a spoiler, it's vague enough. Plus, there's no telling how many buttons may come up in the plot from what he said.

Excalibrate
10-23-2007, 06:51 PM
That's not a spoiler, it's vague enough. Plus, there's no telling how many buttons may come up in the plot from what he said.

You have a point, Gordon loves buttons and switches, but actually mentioning the button makes that tiny detail stand out.
I don't mean to make a big deal out of it...I'm just saying we can recognize and remember things we don't mean to. Or maybe I'm just odd. Ah, whatever. It's no big deal.

It was pretty ironic, though. Funny after the fact.

Stiv
10-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Maybe it's not a button. Maybe it's a switch. It's an environmental object with two or more states. I suppose that's vague enough for you.

Does anyone else wonder how Freeman made it through a physics program with the shit luck that he has whenever he touches a (ENVIRONMENTAL OBJECT WITH TWO OR MORE STATES) connected to anything more complicated than a toaster?