PDA

View Full Version : Fun Club 7: Orange Box - Team Fortress 2

Parish
10-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Swap strategies here. You can also match-make, I guess, but isn't that what the Hardcore Awesome forum is for? (Hint: yes.)

Schmidt
10-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Set your teammates on fire. All the time. Never stop setting them on fire (well, "never" in the grand scheme of things sense, not in the second-to-second gameplay sense. You obviously want to have plenty of ammo for setting the enemies on fire).

Torgo
10-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Spies: Don't backstab a camped engineer unless you have a good amount of your cloak recharged.

Engineers: Keep your back to the wall at all times and shoot at everything you see... assuming friendly fire is off (I have yet to play on a server where it is on, personally.)

Mr. Sensible
10-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Medics, this applies especially on Assault maps, and that goes double for the attackers (that is, the BLU team). You want to start with an Ubercharge, so have one of your team's Soldiers or Demoguys start damaging (but not killing) themselves with explosives before the gates open. Your Ubercharge will increase faster while healing someone whose health is below 100%, and you can come right out of the gate with an unstoppable assault to get a leg up on the defenders (or keep the Uber-ized attackers at bay).

Egarwaen
10-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Engineers: Keep your back to the wall at all times and shoot at everything you see... assuming friendly fire is off (I have yet to play on a server where it is on, personally.)

Friendly fire was permanently removed a few patches back. Good riddance.

Pro Tip: remember that you have objectives other than killing people. I can't count the number of times when I've noticed that the enemy's left their CP wide open, pointed this out, called for some teammates to help, and wound up getting killed after sitting on the point by myself for long enough to capture it if I'd had even one more person there with me.

Yes, killing people is fun, but capturing CPs on the 5-in-a-line maps gives you more time to kill people.

Rawr.

Excuse me, I don't know what came over me.

ringworm
10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Medic is probably the entry point into the game, but it is excruciating to play with bad medics. There is a lot more skill in playing the class well than is obvious at first, in particular learning how to manage corners and Line of Sight properly is key, not stepping in front of your symbiote when he's engaged.

However! Protip: When starting to use an Ubercharge on a Heavy, they can still be stunned and knocked back by Soldiers rockets. The Medic can then move to act as a human shield and absorb those rockets, leaving the Heavy free to unload uninterrupted.

Egarwaen
10-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Medic is probably the entry point into the game, but it is excruciating to play with bad medics. There is a lot more skill in playing the class well than is obvious at first, in particular learning how to manage corners and Line of Sight properly is key, not stepping in front of your symbiote when he's engaged.

After playing a Priest in WoW for longer than I'm willing to admit, the Medic is far too much fun.

Jeanie
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I mentioned this in the who are you thread, but it should be here more.

Some quick tips for Engineers:

Telepads are great. At the start (especially in Dustbowl) drop an entrance, run back into the supply to get more metal, then run ahead and drop an exit near where everyone is fighting.

Hitting something with your wrench while it's being build will speed it up. Do this lots.

From the GFW Podcast: if a spy is sapping something of yours and you can't get to it in time, blow it yourself. It denies the spy points.

Torgo
10-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Spies: For the love of all that is good, stay out of the enemy's way when you're trying to position yourself behind them. Most players have enough smarts to know that invisible wall they're running into is a cloaked spy, and once they open fire on you you're pretty much screwed since you can't fight back until you're fully de-cloaked. Hug the walls or take the longer path, just don't get near them until you're in a suitable spot to turn off your cloak.

Paul le Fou
10-10-2007, 09:18 PM
A few RULES REGARDING MEDICS:

-If you're a heavy (or anyone else for that matter), and are already being healed by a Medic, stop calling for a medic. Especially since most people are probably dumb enough to throw multiple healers on a single guy and leave the rest of the team to die.

-If you're a medic, and your target is being healed by someone else, go heal someone else, especially if that target is at a full 150% buff. At the very least heal the other medic, for God's sake.

-When the soldiers and demomen are blowing themselves up while you wait for the gates to open and the match to start, they're not just being jackasses - your ubercharge fills faster if you're healing actual damage instead of buffing someone. Heal the ones damaging themselves.

-If you're an enemy spy, cloaking while an enemy medic is healing you is a very bad idea. The medic won't mind, at least.

Some spy notes I have too:

-If you're consistently being killed by a single opponent while in disguise, there's a good chance you're currently disguised as that player. I know if I had a point for every time I saw myself run past - wait, I do, because I kill that person (and warn my entire team to shoot me if they see me, as I'm a spy in disguise). At that point I usually switch my class back to something else and spy again later - at the very least, try to avoid that player's stomping ground.

Schmidt
10-10-2007, 09:45 PM
A heavy under sufficient fire could certainly benefit from more than one medic. They shouldn't feel entitled to an entire hospital wing following them around all the time, but you shouldn't by any means rule out the occasional doubling up on a heavy.

poetfox
10-10-2007, 10:31 PM
I personally think the whole hurt yourself and charge the ubercharge before the gates open thing is retarded... I don't know why they didn't think of a way to keep that from being optimal like it is...

Friendly fire was permanently removed a few patches back. Good riddance.

Was it...? Just last week I played on a server with Friendly Fire on... but I suppose there has been a patch or two since then, and I got distracted with ep 1 and Portal.

Paul le Fou
10-11-2007, 12:19 AM
A heavy under sufficient fire could certainly benefit from more than one medic. They shouldn't feel entitled to an entire hospital wing following them around all the time, but you shouldn't by any means rule out the occasional doubling up on a heavy.

Under fire, yeah - but I have to wonder even then if it would be more beneficial to have, say, two heavies or a heavy and a soldier/pyro being healed than one heavy being healed really well. But I haven't been able to test that, so I guess it's just food for thought for now.

As for no friendly fire, I'm happy in general, but that hurts spies - shoot all of your teammates and see which one bleeds! It makes it a lot harder to get behind enemy lines (Especially vs. Pyros - when i'm a pyro I blast everyone I come past for a half-second if I'm suspicious. If they ignite, bingo!)

Schmidt
10-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Under fire, yeah - but I have to wonder even then if it would be more beneficial to have, say, two heavies or a heavy and a soldier/pyro being healed than one heavy being healed really well. But I haven't been able to test that, so I guess it's just food for thought for now.
Sure, that'd be great if those people were around to heal. The point is being a good medic will often involve reacting to the situation more than controlling it, so there are going to be good times to double up on a heavy, and good times to split up.
As for no friendly fire, I'm happy in general, but that hurts spies - shoot all of your teammates and see which one bleeds! It makes it a lot harder to get behind enemy lines (Especially vs. Pyros - when i'm a pyro I blast everyone I come past for a half-second if I'm suspicious. If they ignite, bingo!)
That's basically the point though.

Paul le Fou
10-11-2007, 01:30 AM
I know it was the point, I'm saying it was unfortunate because it makes it a lot harder to spy in general. Considering your chances of running into whomever you're in disguise as, or someone noticing the name/class inconsistency, or just getting noticed for going the wrong way or creeping up behind someone or whatnot, it may have been too much.

Schmidt
10-11-2007, 01:38 AM
If you understand that's why they did it, are you just complaining that spying is hard? I mean, not making my favorite class totally invincible makes it hard too.

From what I've played, on a public server, noticing a name/class inconsistency will be next to impossible before the spy has a chance to either slip away or kill you. Getting noticed for going the wrong way or creeping up behind someone are what the cloaking device and having some amount of skill are for.

Paul le Fou
10-11-2007, 02:45 AM
It doesn't just make it harder for the spy, it also makes it easier for everyone else. I'd prefer that players require a little discretion before opening fire on anyone they wish because a person may, just may, be a spy. And I say this not as someone who even plays Spy that much, but as someone who more frequently is on defense and raining hell on my teammates in case anyone turns out to be a spy. And since there's no penalty or any tangible downside at all to shooting teammates, you can go balls out and not worry about accidentally blasting an ally on O or D. Taking out friendly fire didn't make it hard for the spies, it made it easy for everyone but the spies. I call that a balance issue. I'm just saying, there's already plenty to make it challenging to spy - the lack of friendly fire is excessive. I'd just rather it was a server or admin option than being removed outright.

And it's actually rather easy to notice inconsistencies among your teammates if you just pay a little attention to your surroundings. Any time teammates run by or you pass them, you see what class they are, and you start to notice who's playing what. Then, if someone comes by as a different class - or if you see two allies with the same name in the same area, or see your own name, you've got a likely spy. Also the weapon they're carrying and whether or not they're using it. And if you have any doubts, just back up to a wall and see whether they approach you, etc. etc. To the alert player, spy detection is actually pretty easy, which is why blasting everyone in your colors until one bleeds is, as stated above, an excessive measure.

Merus
10-11-2007, 05:17 AM
I was under the impression that one of the key gameplay issues for the spy is looking convincing enough as a member of the other team that people don't immediately twig. The other possibility is that you ensure that your team shuffles around classes enough that the other team is forced to shuffle as well, and then the spy can profit from the confusion.

Egarwaen
10-11-2007, 07:17 AM

It makes playing against spies possible. Spies are powerful enough without FF on. Sure, if you just run up to an enemy who's standing around, he'll probably spy-check you, and you'll die. But most people don't have time to spy-check in the heat of battle, which is also, incidentally, when backstabbing them or sapping their turret is the most useful.

I've seen good spies take out entire groups in the midst of a pitched firefight. They don't need to be any better.

Also, Pyros really, really suck with FF on, and Demomen get kind of iffy. Valve removed it because it screwed up game balance, and I think they were right.

sraymonds
10-11-2007, 07:27 AM
A spy took out my whole group last night, and I couldn't really do much to prevent it. I was playing as a Demoman, and when I noticed the spy, I started lobbing grenades at him, but he pretty much just ran past them and started doing the stabby routine. The second time this happened I tried the sticky bombs, but same results.

reibeatall
10-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm afraid to play Team Fortress. I have no idea how the game goes.

Adrenaline
10-11-2007, 02:17 PM

It's pretty simple, just pick a class that looks cool and follow your teammates to the action. The tutorial video that plays the first time you load a map tells you what you need to know. Just watch players to try and pick up some techniques. The game's still new so there's plenty of other inexperienced people learning.

sraymonds
10-11-2007, 02:26 PM

Join us, Rei. JOIN US...FOR ETERNITY. And kill some spies while you're here with us.

reibeatall
10-11-2007, 02:43 PM
sraymonds, I'd be more than happy to join you guys, so long as you've got the 360 version.

sraymonds
10-11-2007, 02:45 PM
sraymonds, I'd be more than happy to join you guys, so long as you've got the 360 version.

GODDAMMIT

Radical Ans
10-12-2007, 09:52 AM

I've got the 360 version so if you see me on live I'd be glad to play.

doc_marten_abortion
10-12-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm on the 360 as well: Nihilist04. The 04 is for fun.

I found that the easiest way to defend 2-Fort is to have two engineers build turrets near the flag/attache case. One needs to go right on top of it, the other, in the hall to the right. Build a distributor in the corner, between the two and wait. Sit and hack at your turrets and you'll earn two achievements in no time.

Paul le Fou
10-12-2007, 01:57 PM
I've always found that a sentry and a dispenser should be built very close to each other, such that the engineer is in repair range of the sentry and heal range of the dispenser in a single spot. This way, the sentry gets upgraded to max right away and then the engi can maintain the sentry indefinitely except under the heaviest of fire (both due to the metal feed), in addition to keeping himself healed through any splash damage/other fire. Nor does he run out of ammo when he actually uses his gun.

And to be honest, given where one would usually build sentries, those are good spots for dispensers too - fairly well-covered and/or at least important spots. What I don't like is when someone builds an isolated dispenser right next to the freaking resupply room (as in there's no way it would be faster to use a dispenser than run to the room and back in 3 seconds). There are certain tmies where it might come in vaguely handy, such as heavy-fire invasions, but it's usually just a waste.

Mr. Sensible
10-13-2007, 01:19 PM
If your team already has three or four Engineers, don't be a goddamn Engineer. It's like every team I've been on in the last few days has been super-saturated with Engys. Has this happened to anyone else? Why is it almost always a problem just with this one class?

reibeatall
10-13-2007, 01:24 PM
If your team already has three or four Engineers, don't be a goddamn Engineer. It's like every team I've been on in the last few days has been super-saturated with Engys. Has this happened to anyone else? Why is it almost always a problem just with this one class?

Because the retards want the turret kills.

Egarwaen
10-13-2007, 02:08 PM

I've seen it with other classes, too. There's few things more frustrating than seeing three Spies and three Snipers running around being very effective at picking off lone enemies and doing absolutely nothing to accomplish objectives or prevent the enemy from accomplishing objectives.

Only Engineers typically get up into the 4-5 range, though. And then they get spectacularly useless. Yes, SGs are powerful, but they die fast unless there's real live players running interference.

Paul le Fou
10-13-2007, 05:14 PM
The only class I see an outright saturation of as often as engineers or moreso is soldiers. At least when there are a ton of soldiers they don't get diminishing usefulness (quite the contrary, rain of rockets is a pretty effective tactic on the order of 3 sentries at a single point). Snipers can be pretty bad too. I usually end up as a pyro or heavy because there rarely are any (relatively).

Mr. Sensible
10-14-2007, 06:00 AM
You'd think Heavies would be more popular than they are. They're basically walking turrets.

Pyros, though...I don't know. I get routinely owned by them but I just can't seem to make the class work for me. Guess I just suck at ambush tactics. Any tips?

Torgo
10-14-2007, 10:29 AM
The thing with heavies is that they are pretty much free backstabs for spies. Trust me on this one.

That said, you guys are complaining about too many engies? I agree, but it's only because that's one surefire way to make me stop using spy. That and pyros. I loath pyros with every fiber of my being. I finally understand why people would get pissed with me for using the flamethrowing so much in old school Enemy Territory.

Paul le Fou
10-14-2007, 01:36 PM
The problem with heavies is that they're huge and slow. You can mow down a ton of enemies, but at the same time you're standing still for all intents and purpose (moving so slowly) you're an easy target. With some good timing (and a medic!) Heavies can be ridiculously dangerous.

Pyro... I like pyro, I really do, but they're just hard to play. If you're in a one-off with another character, and you're not already at range with him, it's going to be hard. Whip out the shotgun and hope they have bad aim. I've actually found pyro to be as good or better on defense, actually, where you can set yourself up better to ambush enemies, though a number of maps have drop points and nooks you can use to get onto someone on O. They're also faster than soldiers (but also more fragile). Also, there's a certain joy in seeing that you've killed an opponent after you've died from burning them out. It depends on the map - I find pyro to excel at Granary, for instance, and to not be rather lacking in Hydro. But that's just me.

Egarwaen
10-14-2007, 01:42 PM
The thing with heavies is that they are pretty much free backstabs for spies. Trust me on this one.

They're free headshots too. If you're playing a heavy and you see a sniper, cringe. Because you're about to take a dirt nap.

That said, you guys are complaining about too many engies? I agree, but it's only because that's one surefire way to make me stop using spy. That and pyros. I loath pyros with every fiber of my being. I finally understand why people would get pissed with me for using the flamethrowing so much in old school Enemy Territory.

I really hate spies, but that's partially because there's some kind of weird lag bug that lets them backstab you from any angle. So you see one decloak, everyone turns towards them and opens fire, and they spam backstab the entire group. Pyros are only annoying when everyone keeps using the same route, which lets pairs of Pyros set up a perfect ambush and incinerate everyone.

Medics in close combat make me giggle with joy. Mmm Bonesaw.

Paul le Fou
10-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Medics can be surprisingly effective with that needlegun. Not powerful or anything, but they can hold their own for the most part. Also lol bonesaw.

I always thought it would be cool if the medic's needles were weakened but added a damage-over-time thing. He gives you the DISEASE!

poetfox
10-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Me bonesawing a cloaked spy by accident was one of the highlights of my play session yesterday... if TF2 had Halo-like movie features I'd be showing you all a video of it right now.

Also, the Needlegun is fine... I think it feels extra weak because it makes a really weak sound...? If that makes sense? It doesn't sound very deadly.

Mightyblue
10-14-2007, 02:59 PM
He's a medic, not a heavy, sheesh. But I have to say this thread is oddly reminiscent of old ET conversations I used to have with friends back in the day.

Egarwaen
10-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Medics can be surprisingly effective with that needlegun. Not powerful or anything, but they can hold their own for the most part. Also lol bonesaw.

I've killed a turret with the needlegun.

Admittedly, I was doing the "fire around the wall" trick, but it still counts.

Took two and a half clips, I thought the damn thing was never going to die.

SlimJimm
10-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I hate spies so much, but I think part of the intense hatred is that I cant play as one very well.

As to the whole "too many engineers" thing, I think a lot of people play as one because its accessible and new-player-friendly as a medic. Just plop down a dispenser and sentry gun and you can usually rack up a few kills if placed well.

Personally Ive found myself leaning toward Pyro and Demoman, and sometimes Heavy or Scout. Mostly I just love to kill people since Im terrible at capturing anything.

Interesting note, I have 0 minutes logged in as a Sniper.

sraymonds
10-15-2007, 06:17 AM
I feel stupid for having to ask this, but how do you build as an Engineer? What keys on the keyboard are you supposed to hit? I've spent 5 minutes as an Engineer, and I couldn't figure it out.

I switched over to Pyro and started burning people alive to vent my frustration.

Jeanie
10-15-2007, 06:44 AM
4 on the keyboard brings up the build option, from there, 1 is sentry gun, 2 is dispenser, 3 teleporter entrance, and 4 is teleporter exit.

5 is how you self-distruct anything.

sraymonds
10-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Many thanks. The Engineer and the Spy classes are the only ones I haven't devoted any time too, so hopefully I can learn about them now.

SlimJimm
10-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Just make sure you place down a Dispenser before a sentry gun, that way you can upgrade your gun easily without walking over to the respawn points to get metal.

Also in any Capture game be sure to make a teleporter entrance at the start spawn and once your team moves forward and gets a capture node, make the exit nearby so people can jump right back in closer to the action.

Hey do any of you play fairly regularly? Id love to get in a game with anyone, I usually play for 2 hours or so a day (or longer if I can).

SamuelMarston
10-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey, can you play TF2 locally multiplayer, or is this an online only ordeal?

sraymonds
10-15-2007, 11:37 AM
I generally play for about one to two hours during the weeknights.

The only person I've played with/against from the Talking Time Sauna is djfindus (whoever that is).

SlimJimm
10-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Im pretty sure its online-only.
On the PC it just asks to "Find Servers".

I thought Djfindus might be Djsyndrome. Maybe?

Nope! Its Findus (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/member.php?u=298)

SamuelMarston
10-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Im pretty sure its online-only.
On the PC it just asks to "Find Servers".

Any word on the 360 version? Heck, I'll go see if I can rent it. That works.

dangerhelvetica
10-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Make sure to check out all the taunts for the characters. They even have different taunts depending on which weapon you have equipped.

The only unfortunate thing is due to the zoom-freeze kill camera, your quarry can't see you doing it after you've just killed them.

Spikey
10-17-2007, 10:38 PM
If Ubercharging a Pyro and rushing into the spawn areas of Dustbowl is wrong then I don't wanna be right.

SlimJimm
10-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I know your preformance report doesnt really mean anything, and I know saying this makes me sound like a quitter (only sometimes!), but I hate how if you leave a match before the server switches levels all the points/kills you got are not saved.

Paul le Fou
10-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I know your preformance report doesnt really mean anything, and I know saying this makes me sound like a quitter (only sometimes!), but I hate how if you leave a match before the server switches levels all the points/kills you got are not saved.

It's saved for me if I leave on my own. However, until the actual release rolled around, my game was extremely unstable (still is very unstable) and would crash frequently. When crashing, none of my stats from that round were saved - I lost so many high-scoring rounds that way. I had an 18-point sniper round early on, boom, gone. More recently I was in a round where I had 19 points as sniper, new records across the board, and was still alive - and crashed in the middle of that round. That... that made me sad. :(

SamuelMarston
10-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Today is the 18th of October. Let's play tonight, and tomorrow night. The time isn't so important to me so just let me know when you're available. I want to play this with friends before I have to return the rental.