PDA

View Full Version : Screenings thanks to Aint It Cool News

doc_marten_abortion
06-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Since I mentioned Harry Knowle's site in my last post, I might as well give him a little thanks for the two films he allowed me to see on Monday. Patton Oswalt hosted screenings both Ratatoullie and The Foot Fist Way, which were both incredibly rad. The Pixar film, and it goes without saying (so why am I saying it?), is another masterpiece by Brad Bird. Patton's acting was great, and he surprised us by brining Janine Garafolo along to answer audience questions about the movie and the act of putting voice to tape. Then, he shooed the little ones away and showed us an indie film about a Tae Kwon Do (the film's title is a literal translation of the martial art) instructor who loses control after his wife admits to an affair. It's got the comic pacing of movies like Office Space and tv shows like The(British)Office. I can tell that when this film is released (sometime in 2008) there will be a cult following that the aforementioned works received. Really, just spectacular stuff.

doc_marten_abortion
06-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Here is the Q&A from Monday's screening of Ratatoullie, if anyone cares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MsQga_Egs

Healy
06-13-2007, 06:18 PM
The fact that Ratatoullie is great pleases me, as I was worried that it wouldn't hold up to the rest of the Pixar canon.

Also, the way Pat Patton is presented in that video reminds me of an uncle of mine.

nadia
06-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I hope Pixar never jumps the shark. It would make me so sad.

mr_bungle700
06-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Bringing in people like Brad Bird is a great way to avoid shark jumping. So long as they don't stagnate and start relying on only a small group of directors/writers they should be okay. Finding (or training) new people of Bird's level will ensure a steady flow of new ideas and ambition. And of course, the moment they start trying to make things that appeal to the audience rather than themselves they're all doomed. I think that will be a long way off, though, if it happens at all.

JCDenton
06-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Phew. I was a bit worried, but only because I like The Incredibles so much. I'm sorry for doubting you Mr Bird!

gamin
06-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Been waiting for this movie ever since I first heard about it. Brad Bird does excellent work, so it's good to hear Ratatoullie won't disappoint.

VsRobot
06-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Iron Giant is far, far superior to Incredibles, even as good as that movie is. Iron Giant might be my favorite cel-animated movie of all time.

Parish
06-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I sort of took Ratatouille's quality as a given. Bird has yet to disappoint.

doc_marten_abortion
06-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Looks like Ratatouille is getting another sneak peak this weekend--Saturday, actually. Check your local theaters for show times.

Jesus, I sound like a god damned marketing hack. Awesome...

locit
06-14-2007, 03:52 PM
The fact that Ratatoullie is great pleases me, as I was worried that it wouldn't hold up to the rest of the Pixar canon.

For the record, Cars was unbelievably boring. Plus it contained the catchphrase "Git 'er done".

doc_marten_abortion
06-14-2007, 04:15 PM
For the record, Cars was unbelievably boring. Plus it contained the catchphrase "Git 'er done".

I really disliked Cars, but it wasn't targeted at the likes of me. It was targeted to the crowd who still laughs when Larry the Cable Guy says 'Get 'er done.' It was targeted to the people who drive around, eulogizing Dale Earnhart with bumper stickers, lanyards, and window graphics.

Don't take Cars as a hint at the quality of Ratatouille. Cars wasn't in the hands of the man who gave us 'Troll 2' (maybe I shouldn't mention that) and 'The Incredibles;' both simply the greatest of their genre... ok, maybe not Troll, but certainly 'The Incredibles'--the Fantastic Four-told-through-different-names-and -better-costumes genre...

ArugulaZ
06-14-2007, 06:03 PM
You guys hear about the Ain't It Cool News reviewer who was fired for writing a negative review of the Fantastic Four sequel? Evidently he snuck into a preview screening, as he had done several times before, but it wasn't until AFTER he wrote a negative review of a 20th Century Fox film that billionaire tyrant Rupert Murdoch demanded his head on a platter.

JR

doc_marten_abortion
06-14-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't actually go to Ain't It Cool for their reviews or previews or editorials or... anything, really. It's just that I live within driving distance of Austin, Texas, home of Harry Knowles, and the site regularly updates its readership with upcoming screenings or geeky happenings. Plus, it's the hometown of the Alamo Drafthouse; a small chain of semi-art-house theaters that run a ton of exclusive movie broadcasts hosted by many of Hollywood's more film-ophile catering directors.

Honestly, I could give a crap about what someone said about Fantastic Four; I'm not going to see it.

Calorie Mate
06-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Are you guys kidding? Cars was great!

I didn't see it for a long time because I was expecting to dislike it...it jsut didn't interest me, as most other Pixar movies had. I finally got off my ass and saw it, though, and it was just great. It was completely charming. How can you say it was boring? With the sole exception of The Incredibles, I can't think of any Pixar film that I thought of as "action-packed".

And I hate Larry the Cable. I found every character in Cars, on the other hand, totally endearing. You guys are nuts.

...but yeah, Ratatoullie didn't exactly look impressive at first, but I learned my lesson from Cars and am excited anyway. Plus, the more I think about it, the better Ratatoullie's premise seems.

locit
06-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Are you guys kidding? Cars was great!

Oh, dear. Can someone strap him down, please? He's got a touch of the crazies.

Cars was massive amounts of empty space bookended by two mildly amusing race sequences, sidelined by uninteresting secondary characters and aimed simultaneously at the lucrative 4-8 "We love cars they go VROOM!" and the 60+ "Damn kids don't know how good it used to be, we love slow things" age brackets. And it had a soundtrack by Randy effing Newman. It just felt hollow, boring, and devoid of the charm of all the other films Pixar has put out. Not that it's an awful movie, it's just... remarkably uninteresting.

I'm interested in Ratatoullie because anthropomorphized rats cooking via a hair control system sounds awesome, it looks like classic cartoon slapstick with that shiny Pixar wit included, and because the main characters will probably move more than two feet on average in any given scene.

Sanagi
06-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Cars wasn't bad, just bland compared to Pixar's other films.