PDA

View Full Version : Salty about sodium

Nodal
06-09-2015, 12:33 PM
It seems that every single cooking show involves people making something that tastes pretty good, and then destroying it by pouring a pitcher of salt on it. What is it about professional chefs that destroys their taste buds such that they can only taste things that have been salted until they will survive out the lean season in the attic? Does anyone else find they enjoy things with little to no salt way more because they can taste the salt more than anything else in the dish?

Falselogic
06-09-2015, 12:37 PM
ITS KILLING US ALL! (http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2013/03/24/study-eating-too-much-salt-is-killing-us-by-the-millions/)

Excitemike
06-09-2015, 12:40 PM
That reminds me of Restaurant Impossible, in which Robert Irvine chides every chef because they don't use enough salt. It makes a bad restaurant good!

Falselogic
06-09-2015, 12:46 PM
That reminds me of Restaurant Impossible, in which Robert Irvine chides every chef because they don't use enough salt. It makes a bad restaurant good!

No that's MSG

stay tuned for my thread all about MSG!

Gaer
06-09-2015, 12:56 PM
I can't fucking stand salt. It's to the point where I eat very little processed food because it's all so damned salty. Can't stand salted butter or margarine. If someone cooks with salt, it's always too much and I end up not eating it.

My other half thinks I'm crazy and keeps saying I "need salt in my diet". FUCK YOU IT TASTES AWFUL.

Dampe
06-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Salt rules. Don't know what all y'all are talking about.

Red Hedgehog
06-09-2015, 01:32 PM
It seems that every single cooking show involves people making something that tastes pretty good, and then destroying it by pouring a pitcher of salt on it. What is it about professional chefs that destroys their taste buds such that they can only taste things that have been salted until they will survive out the lean season in the attic? Does anyone else find they enjoy things with little to no salt way more because they can taste the salt more than anything else in the dish?

Have you ever thought that maybe you are just more salt sensitive than most? Because the reason so much salt is used in our foods is because people think it tastes better.

Like, I can't quite relate to cooks using too much salt, because I rarely see them using more than two pinches. But on the other hand, I can relate because while my salt tolerance is normal, my wife is one of those monsters from Star Trek who constantly needs a ton of salt to survive.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061220174651/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/7/7a/M_113_Creature.jpg/292px-M_113_Creature.jpg

pointzeroeight
06-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Most foods are severely over salted, but when used in moderation, it can bring out flavours, which is the main reason to use it. Or in cooking to help bring out moisture.

Hito
06-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Yeah, not going to go on another paragraphs-long post here, but basically what PZ8 said. Home cooks tend to undersalt their food, then they eat out and wonder why restaurant food tastes so much better (salt is a primary reason, but there are many more). Processed food is definitely over-salted. Good chefs aren't using pitchers of salt on everything, but just enough to bring out inherent flavors. Even coffee is better with a pinch of salt (roughly .01% of its total weight).

Wolfgang
06-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Even coffee is better with a pinch of salt (roughly .01% of its total weight).

Which is why it's pretty good with a bit of salted butter (http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=16940)

Falselogic
06-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Which is why it's pretty good with a bit of salted butter (http://www.talking-time.net/showthread.php?t=16940)

Read the OP wolfgang only grass-fed unsalted butter counts!

Wolfgang
06-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Read the OP wolfgang only grass-fed unsalted butter counts!

i'll grass feed YOUR butter

which i suppose would achieve the desired result, yes

R^2
06-09-2015, 05:39 PM
What is it about professional chefs that destroys their taste buds such that they can only taste things that have been salted until they will survive out the lean season in the attic?

A pack-a-day smoking habit brought about by listening to people bitch about the food they busted ass making.

Lady
06-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Yesterday I ate a green apple that was too sour so I salted it a little bit to take the edge off. I picked that up from my dad.

I also eat cucumbers and raw potatoes salted! mm mm mmmm

krelbel
06-09-2015, 07:21 PM
raw potatoes salted! mm mm mmmm

You

What

I mean

How

This is the craziest thing I have heard in my entire life and I want to try it immediately

Torzelbaum
06-09-2015, 09:48 PM
I did it when I was growing up.

krelbel
06-09-2015, 09:50 PM
try it immediately

Well I went to the grocery store and bought a potato

It was A potato

Gonna need some more time to think about this

Hito yelled at me like 12 times to stop eating it though

Kishi
06-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Did you peel it or slice it? Because I have this image of you just shaking some salt onto a whole potato and digging in.

krelbel
06-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Did you peel it or slice it? Because I have this image of you just shaking some salt onto a whole potato and digging in.

No no, Lady gave me the rundown on IRC. (Peel it carefully and make sure there are no unpeeled or green bits because Poison, slice it into bite sized chunks, salt and serve.) I ate one bite and got a really puzzled expression on my face and Hito said WHY and I thought it was funny so I ate the entire thing and now I have a tummyache.

I'll probably do it again.

Paul le Fou
06-09-2015, 11:31 PM
FTECX5QB6jw

Olli T
06-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Salt is great! It makes everything taste better. Even desserts are better when you add a touch of salt. Chocolate + salt = delicious.

Solitayre
06-10-2015, 03:52 AM
Just a PSA/buzzkill that too much salt does have negative effects on your health so there are totally valid reasons for people to want to avoid too much salt.

Olli T
06-10-2015, 05:08 AM
Just a PSA/buzzkill that too much salt does have negative effects on your health so there are totally valid reasons for people to want to avoid too much salt.

I'm pretty sure everybody knows that. Too much salt will kill you!

Solitayre
06-10-2015, 05:54 AM
Right, it's just kind of disorienting to come into a thread where people are saying "use more salt!" when I'm used to hearing the opposite.

I've heard sea salt is less bad for you, is there any truth to that?

upupdowndown
06-10-2015, 06:00 AM

eh, not so much (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/health/panel-finds-no-benefit-in-sharply-restricting-sodium.html?_r=0)

R^2
06-10-2015, 06:20 AM
Do you have two functioning kidneys? Do you drink enough water? Your salt intake is probably fine.

Red Hedgehog
06-10-2015, 06:22 AM
Right, it's just kind of disorienting to come into a thread where people are saying "use more salt!" when I'm used to hearing the opposite.

Because, as the article upupdowndown posted says, the recommendation to keep salt levels super-low comes from very poor scientific evidence.

Too much salt is not good for you (and too little appears to be not good for you too), but just what number constitutes "too much" is very much up in the air. It certainly seems like the current US salt recommendations are lower than they need to be, so unless you eat a lot of processed foods, use more salt!

Excitemike
06-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Do you have two functioning kidneys? Do you drink enough water? Your salt intake is probably fine.
Thanks for the prognosis, doc.

taosterman
06-10-2015, 06:52 AM
I accidentally made a batch of cookies without salt once and the taste was noticeably flat, in a way I hadn't really thought about before. That's what people mean when they talk about enhancing flavor, not taking an existing, perfectly tasty dish and putting a salt lick on top of it.

upupdowndown
06-10-2015, 07:02 AM
Because, as the article upupdowndown posted says, the recommendation to keep salt levels super-low comes from very poor scientific evidence.

The more I read about it, the more the current state of dietary science and nutrition recommendation enrages me, since most of it is extremely poorly researched and incredibly politicized. Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories on the demonization of fat and valorization of carbohydrates is really eye-opening, as is The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz.

Hazama Kuro
06-10-2015, 07:18 AM
You said it. The demonization of fat (and sometimes meat) is another thing that annoys me greatly. I once had a little argument with someone who thought that milk was the devil, too.

And regarding salt, some countries' warm weather makes large amounts of it a necessity because of all the perspiration and resulting loss of sodium. And possibly to prevent food from spoiling too soon, but I ain't no expert on that. So yeah, salt is good! I enjoy healthy amounts of it, anyway.

Violentvixen
06-10-2015, 08:05 AM
I hate salt so much I have a straight up sodium deficiency. I feel like it tastes stronger to me than it does to most people.

R^2
06-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the prognosis, doc.

Are you honestly just not paying attention?

Rivers
06-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Salt can very easily make something inedible to me, but I do add tiny amounts to certain foods because I also had problems with sodium deficiency in the past.

The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet

I'd be more okay with those things if they didn't make me feel sick afterwards. :-P

Excitemike
06-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Are you honestly just not paying attention?
I don't think it's fair to mock someone who wants to consume salt in moderation, especially from someone who smokes a pack a day.

krelbel
06-10-2015, 10:43 AM
I don't think it's fair to mock someone who wants to consume salt in moderation, especially from someone who smokes a pack a day.

sounds like somebody's a little

salty

Excitemike
06-10-2015, 10:47 AM
I love salt, just keep it out of my grass-fed butter.

krelbel
06-10-2015, 10:57 AM
I love salt, just keep it out of my grass-fed butter.

maybe a little more salt in that grass-fed butter would help improve reading skills

(R^2 doesn't smoke)

Excitemike
06-10-2015, 11:01 AM
maybe a little more salt in that grass-fed butter would help improve reading skills

(R^2 doesn't smoke)

I must have misinterpreted "A pack-a-day smoking habit brought about by listening to people bitch about the food they busted ass making", which I guess means he's not a chef or a doctor. What am I missing?

R^2
06-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Oh, you are a treasure.

I am a cook. I do not smoke.

krelbel
06-10-2015, 11:05 AM
I must have misinterpreted "A pack-a-day smoking habit brought about by listening to people bitch about the food they busted ass making", which I guess means he's not a chef or a doctor. What am I missing?

Context, apparently. The actual quote:

What is it about professional chefs that destroys their taste buds such that they can only taste things that have been salted until they will survive out the lean season in the attic?

A pack-a-day smoking habit brought about by listening to people bitch about the food they busted ass making.

i.e. the smoking habit of these over-salting professional chefs in general, not R^2's non-existent smoking habit.

Excitemike
06-10-2015, 11:06 AM
E: FUCK YES I'M SALTY

Paul le Fou
06-10-2015, 11:47 AM
One time I made this indian-spiced yogurt-sauce chicken. I put everything delicious in there, cardamom, cumin, coriander, turmeric, clove, black and red peppers... it was gonna be great. But it came out of the oven SUPER BLAND. I was so confused... until I realized I'd forgotten to add any salt. Sprinkled some on and all the flavors came to life, just like that.

I never forget the salt anymore.

The more I read about it, the more the current state of dietary science and nutrition recommendation enrages me, since most of it is extremely poorly researched and incredibly politicized.

Ugh seriously. I've got whole rants about this stored up.

Sodium is important! So is iodine, and I think we get most of that from iodized salt.

Torzelbaum
06-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Too much salt is not good for you (and too little appears to be not good for you too), but just what number constitutes "too much" is very much up in the air. It certainly seems like the current US salt recommendations are lower than they need to be, so unless you eat a lot of processed foods, use more salt!Per my understanding those recommendations were low-balled because they expected people to go over them. That's why it's very difficult to not go over the recommended amount.

I hate salt so much I have a straight up sodium deficiency. I feel like it tastes stronger to me than it does to most people.*Torzelbaum pulls out a golden hammer* Have you ever checked if you're a super-taster?

Violentvixen
06-11-2015, 06:48 AM
*Torzelbaum pulls out a golden hammer* Have you ever checked if you're a super-taster?

I don't know what the golden hammer part means, but I have checked and I'm not. I actually have a really low density of taste buds.

Paul le Fou
06-11-2015, 02:35 PM
A supra-taster?

Torzelbaum
06-11-2015, 02:45 PM
I don't know what the golden hammer part means, but I have checked and I'm not.It means that it's a concept I often try to use to explain things like this.

Beefy Hits
06-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Ramen's got assloads of salt in it and it's yummy.

Falselogic
06-15-2015, 08:57 AM
Ramen's got assloads of salt in it and it's yummy.

Do you use the full season packet? Do you only use two cups of water?

Should we make a top ramen thread?

Haven't we already?

Patrick
06-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Do you use the full season packet? Do you only use two cups of water?

Should we make a top ramen thread?

Haven't we already?

I started throwing an egg in and I love ramen again. If you keep the water spinning it cooks really well.

Paul le Fou
06-15-2015, 01:58 PM
I tried a little salt in my coffee. Two tiny pinches. I didn't notice much difference. Try a little more next time...?

RT-55J
06-17-2015, 11:03 PM
Once upon a time I used to make ramen with as little water as possible, and then top it with salt when it was done. Because, like, it clearly wasn't salty enough.

Thankfully I'm not 12 anymore.

Galadrome
06-18-2015, 04:15 AM
One time I tried to make ramen and I spilt boiling water all over my thumb and had to go to hospital. I have never eaten ramen since.

Bunk Moreland
06-18-2015, 05:07 AM
Too much salt?! I only put in 60% of the lethal dose!

upupdowndown
06-18-2015, 05:56 AM
One time I tried to make ramen and I spilt boiling water all over my thumb and had to go to hospital. I have never eaten ramen since.

you are gonna do just fine in college, kiddo