PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Michigan Polish Cooking

MrChris
08-14-2015, 04:48 PM
While my mom and I have been busy packing up all our worldly possessions so we can vacate my condo and get her moved back to Michigan, we found a treasure trove of her old cookbooks. I was leafing through one of them, which is a collection of recipes from a long-running radio show back in my hometown, and I decided maybe I should Julie and Julia this thing. It looks like some of these recipes don't require many ingredients at all (having been intended for the harried and overworked people of 1994, not for the indolent inhabitants of our own futuristic paradise), which is good because I'm going to be moving in two weeks and the last thing I need is to be buying a lot of weird specialty ingredients. This could be just the project I need in order to reconnect with my roots while cleaning out the refrigerator. I'll make sure to post some of the more promising-looking recipes here, in case anyone wants to play along and try making some of these dishes.

All right, time for the very first recipe in the book. Are you ready? I sure am!

FAKE FILET MIGNON

Ingredients:

3 pounds boneless round steak
12 ounces Coca Cola (not diet)
1/2 cup ketchup
5 ounces A-1
1/4 cup lemon juice

Instructions:

Mix the marinade ingredients and pierce the meat 20 to 30 times on each side. Marinate the meat for 24 hours. Cook on the grill.

Oh dang, our communal grill isn't working, and no one else on the condo board has been willing to sign off on the work order to get it fixed, so it looks like I'm not going to be able to make fake filet mignon this weekend. Man, this project is already turning out to be more difficult than I expected! If anyone else gets a chance to try this out, could you let me know how it turns out? Thanks!