PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Strategies

Dadgum Roi
11-24-2015, 06:19 AM
I'm having to plot this mess out this year. I usually don't travel for Thanksgiving, or at least not more than a half hour. This year we're going to take a mini vacation and probably grab Thanksgiving dinner at Golden Corral before driving the 3.5 hours home.

Now the problem is that for me Thanksgiving dinner is usually like 90% collards and pepper vinegar, a bit of potato salad, a deviled egg. Maybe some ham if we've got country ham and not that damn sugar-glazed ham crap. But I gotta say that driving more than 3 hours on a belly full of GC collards seems...risky.

Dadgum Roi
11-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Also, strategies for minimizing or mitigating the effects of exposure to Fox News are welcome. Food-related because this could prevent upchuck.

Zarathustra
11-24-2015, 06:39 AM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

stay at home and have a tofurkey.

madhair60
11-24-2015, 06:39 AM
Again, I plaintively beg of Talking Time - can I come to someone's Thanksgiving? I have never experienced this, being a Britain, and I promise to not say fuck and/or bugger.

I will dress formally and bring an English delicacy (Space Raiders)

Loki
11-24-2015, 06:49 AM
No! Thanksgiving is ABOUT not putting up with any Limey nonsense! A Brit at thanksgiving is AGAINST THE LAW.

madhair60
11-24-2015, 06:53 AM
I can do an American accent if it will help.

Zef
11-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Also, strategies for minimizing or mitigating the effects of exposure to Fox News are welcome. Food-related because this could prevent upchuck.

Don't Thanksgive. Just buy a few days' worth of Burger King and pumpkin spice chia latte moschaccinos and camp outside the local Target or Walmart starting right now, so you're well-rested and full of pep to plow through fellow shoppers and criminally-underpaid retail employees on Thursday morning. Scout the store ahead of time so you can figure out the best routes and where you can catch a few winks between the Pre-Black Friday, Black Friday, Pre-Cyber Monday, and Cyber-Monday sales without security spotting you.

As long as you stay within eyesight of the TV department only long enough to snag that $1500 4k Zenith, your exposure to Fox News should remain at minimum levels.

Dadgum Roi
11-24-2015, 07:13 AM
Don't Thanksgive.

'Cuz I just don't Thanksgive a fuck

BLOOP BLOOP

Droewyn
11-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Again, I plaintively beg of Talking Time - can I come to someone's Thanksgiving? I have never experienced this, being a Britain, and I promise to not say fuck and/or bugger.

I invited you last year and you didn't show.

madhair60
11-24-2015, 07:42 AM
I don't know where you live, and can't afford a plane ticket. A tunnel will need to be constructed.

jpfriction
11-24-2015, 08:19 AM
I don't know where you live, and can't afford a plane ticket. A tunnel will need to be constructed.

As soon as Elon Musk perfects teleportation you are welcome at all of our houses every year.

Googleshng
11-24-2015, 08:21 AM

My mother always makes too much food and legitimately seeks out extra people.

Well, you'd need to be fast, but if you just start going west, and ask which direction you're going as you pass Greenland, you should be OK.

Excitemike
11-24-2015, 08:31 AM

Sorry mate, I already have an Irishman coming, that's all we can take.

Excitemike
11-24-2015, 08:40 AM
I am actually pretty excited because my parents can come this year. We're having about ten people which is probably more than we can fit comfortably...
Also great because my mom is a way better cook and she asked if she cook a thing or two and is now doing half the menu. I'm brining the turkey tonight, prepping sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes tomorrow. Thursday I just heat everything and vegetate with the family.

Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday for a while, easily beating Christmas. You get to spend time with family without all the craziness and consumerism of Christmas. Plus, it is a food-based holiday. And thanks to playstation vue, I can actually watch the parade this year. Very psyched!

Shagohod
11-24-2015, 08:53 AM
I can do an American accent if it will help.

Can you do your American accent on some of your 1cc youtube videos?

Dadgum Roi
11-24-2015, 08:57 AM
This had me rollin'...

http://afroculinaria.com/2015/11/22/how-to-survive-black-thanksgiving-as-a-non-black-guest/

3. As with our close cousin “Southern White Thanksgiving,” we don’t call cornbread “stuffing,” stuffing….we call it “dressing.” Calling it “stuffing,” is a dead giveaway you don’t know the quality of what you brought over. Throw that boxed stuff away.

6. Potato salad year round is a thing. Don’t ask who made it, just know their hands are clean. Potato salad is yellow, has paprika and eggs so don’t be confused.

16. White Southern country food is passable but put some paprika in it and you should be good to go. And some season salt, maybe a lil’ garlic or onion powder and a dash of hot sauce….maybe some sugar…

Droewyn
11-24-2015, 10:12 AM
It's stuffing if it's cooked inside the bird's skeleton, and dressing if it's cooked separately. I mean, OBVS.

Red Hedgehog
11-24-2015, 10:21 AM
It's stuffing if it's cooked inside the bird's skeleton, and dressing if it's cooked separately. I mean, OBVS.

Yeah, I'm not sure why that's so hard for people to grasp.

Adam
11-24-2015, 11:48 AM
I'm having thanksgiving with my family (as opposed to my ex-in-laws) for the frist time in 9 years. I am bringing a British person. I may have forgotten how this thing is normally done.

Dizzy
11-24-2015, 11:58 AM
I usually stand in line waiting to fill my plate during meal time with my shirt off.

Büge
11-24-2015, 12:02 PM
No! Thanksgiving is ABOUT not putting up with any Limey nonsense! A Brit at thanksgiving is AGAINST THE LAW.

Hey, speak for yourself. Canadian Thanksgiving is a liturgical festival, according to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)), corresponding "to the English and continental European harvest festival, with churches decorated with cornucopias, pumpkins, corn, wheat sheaves, and other harvest bounty."

So we cool, madhair.

JBear
11-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Well, yes, but he already missed our Thanksgiving by over a month.

All of the leftovers are gone.

Pajaro Pete
11-24-2015, 12:29 PM
strategy: have a halloween-themed thanksgiving called fangsgiving

Excitemike
11-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Stuffing is the stuff made out of bread. Dressing is what you put on your salad.
Gravy is brown and you put it on meat. Sauce is red and you put it on pasta.

Octopus Prime
11-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Hey, speak for yourself. Canadian Thanksgiving is a liturgical festival, according to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada)), corresponding "to the English and continental European harvest festival, with churches decorated with cornucopias, pumpkins, corn, wheat sheaves, and other harvest bounty."

So we cool, madhair.

Of course we've never thrown any tea into any lakes, so our countries are still bestest buddies.

Dadgum Roi
11-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Fire is red and you put it on pasta.

Fixed your post.

Dizzy
11-24-2015, 02:28 PM
strategy: have a halloween-themed thanksgiving called fangsgiving

i want vampkin pie

R^2
11-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Stuffing is the stuff made out of bread. Dressing is what you put on your salad.
Gravy is brown and you put it on meat. Sauce is red and you put it on pasta.

Oh man, where do I even start with you.

Octopus Prime
11-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Here's my Thanksgiving strategy;

hFzz6EZmkq8

Lady
11-24-2015, 06:37 PM
my strategy: stop eating around T-8 hours

Balrog
11-24-2015, 07:31 PM
We're going to my mother-in-laws this year and she's making the bird. We're bringing green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, rolls, dessert, and my bro-in-law is bringing drinks or something. It's not really a tradition in their house to have ham in addition to turkey but that is wrong.

Torzelbaum
11-24-2015, 07:33 PM
As soon as Elon Musk perfects teleportation you are welcome at all of our houses every year.You'll have to teleport to the house that I own in an alternate universe.

It's stuffing if it's cooked inside the bird's skeleton, and dressing if it's cooked separately. I mean, OBVS.Then why don't they call it Stove Top Dressing?

churches decorated with cornucopiahorn of plenty

Falselogic
11-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Stay home, play video games, get drunk, pass out!

#winning

Droewyn
11-25-2015, 07:32 AM
Then why don't they call it Stove Top Dressing?

Because marketing executives are lying liars who lie.

Kylie
11-25-2015, 08:15 AM
First, spend some time grinding. Try throwing potatoes at family members or screaming to yourself for days on end at the table. You'll want to have access to 2d tier classes early, even if you're not actually equipping that class during dinner. Second, be aware of the potential for underutilized classes to shine. The Chemist that seemed worthless when you were navigating the Blessing will likely be a godsend when you're warding off tryptophan and you overextended yourself to try to snag that rare slice of pie. Finally, don't be afraid to bring in your ringers. Sure, Uncle Al's belches may clear the playing field with ease and rob you of a much-needed experience in doing so, but if you're calculating you'll know when to use him to thwart your Racist Grandma's sudden assaults. There's no shame in bringing him out of the ranks to take that hit and answer for it; it saves a lot of suffering in the long run.

Beyond that, focus on one food type and master the-

Oh, never mind. This thread is about Thanksgiving Strategies.

Paul le Fou
11-25-2015, 08:44 AM
Uh you guys are clearly talking about Thanksgiving tactics

Torzelbaum
11-25-2015, 01:02 PM
A sadly overlooked entry in the TRPG genre.

Paul le Fou
11-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Thanksgiving Role Playing Game?

Torzelbaum
11-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Yeah, sure.

Rivers
11-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Stay home, play video games, get drunk, pass out!

Falselogic, you're having the Thanksgiving I wish I was having. Except for maybe that last part.

Mightyblue
11-26-2015, 10:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UcMZmE2.jpg

It begins...well, an hour ago.

Dadgum Roi
11-27-2015, 11:16 AM
Y'ALL!

Golden Corral on Thanksgiving Day. You have no fucking idea. NONE!!!

Dizzy
11-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Y'ALL!

Golden Corral on Thanksgiving Day. You have no fucking idea. NONE!!!

~ *elaborate, please* ~

Dadgum Roi
11-27-2015, 11:58 AM
~ *elaborate, please* ~

Place was packed to the rafters, and the crowd was like half old white people in NASCAR regalia with about a 90% blood nicotine level and half baby butch lesbians. I think it was some kind of organized group, they all seemed to know each other and sent scouts ahead to stake claim to tables. Sizable minority of teenagers who thought it was a good idea to RUN everywhere despite there being hardly any room to move. Actually getting through the food lines and back to the table was like playing some kind of fiendishly advanced Diner Dash/Burger Time level. I found out about a half hour after leaving that my kid had literally stuffed his pockets with dinner rolls.

Balrog
11-27-2015, 07:18 PM
We're going to my mother-in-laws this year and she's making the bird. We're bringing green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, rolls, dessert, and my bro-in-law is bringing drinks or something. It's not really a tradition in their house to have ham in addition to turkey but that is wrong.

That blessed woman made ham and turkey :cool:

Paul le Fou
11-28-2015, 12:44 PM
I had a second thanksgiving with my game group on Friday. We made turkey! There were mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and stuffing! We mulled wine! It was great!

The best Thanksgiving Strategy is to just do it twice

R^2
11-28-2015, 01:15 PM
The best Thanksgiving Strategy is to just do it twice

qft