PDA

View Full Version : China Confiscates Death Note Comics

Jakanden
06-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I know Death Note is a popular manga among a number of TT'ers (myself included) so I thought this (http://www.japantoday.com/jp/news/409452) was pretty interesting.

BEIJING China has confiscated close to 6,000 of Japan's popular "Death Note" comic books as part of a crackdown on horror publications that it deems harmful for children, according to state-run media. The 5,912 comic books were in addition to the 1,364 CDs and DVDs as well as 11,930 other "illegal horror books" taken off the shelves across the country, Xinhua News Agency reported late Wednesday.

"Death Note" stories center on a character who decides to punish evildoers using a notebook that kills anyone whose name is written in it. A spokeswoman for Japan's Shueisha Inc said the company does not publish the comic book in mainland China, although copies are formally sold in Hong Kong. In Japan, the 12-part series have sold about 26 million copies, and were also made into a movie.

Censoring for the lose!

JCDenton
06-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Interesting. I wonder what the Chinese took issue with. Probably just that it was popular and Japanese, though I wonder if some of the themes of vigilantism played a role.

tungwene
06-14-2007, 03:02 PM
I remember a while ago that Death Note was banned from schools after a couple kids started writing the names of teachers and classmates they didn't like into their notebooks that they were calling "Death Notes" so maybe that's why the series caught the eye of government officials.

I wouldn't worry about it. The bootleg manga market (like any other bootleg market in that country) is huge in China. The smart kids who know where to find these books will still be able to find them. If anything, this move probably just increased the popularity of the series.

I'm sort of glad that the growing anime fad has passed under the watchful eye of American mainstream media. I'd really hate to see the type of backlash the videogame industry is getting now happen to anime. Sure, the US government would never try to pull anything like what the Chinese government has but who knows what sort of damage some misguided grass roots organization could do. There was a time a couple years back when stuff like Pokemon was starting to catch on that something like that could've happened but that time has passed. I knew a girl in high school who was doodling some anime in church and she got totally chewed out for it by some lady because anime was EVIL because they had un-Christian stuff like shinto shrines in them and such.

Maggie
06-14-2007, 03:28 PM
I remember back when Pokemon was big, my mother and our church "body" all believed that it was evil simply because all the time spent thinking about pocket monsters was time they could spend thinking about Jesus.

I don't know if that line of thinking caught on anywhere else. It's really hard to tell, when you live in Texas, if the rest of the world has this kind of crazy or not.

Squall
06-14-2007, 03:40 PM
I thought it was evil because it taught evolution?
Also, rapant sex for reproductive purposes. But the church never seemed to latch on to that one.

VsRobot
06-14-2007, 03:41 PM
I remember back when Pokemon was big, my mother and our church "body" all believed that it was evil simply because all the time spent thinking about pocket monsters was time they could spend thinking about Jesus.

I don't know if that line of thinking caught on anywhere else. It's really hard to tell, when you live in Texas, if the rest of the world has this kind of crazy or not.

Time spent thinking about Jesus is time you could have spent LIVING ACCORDING TO THE TEACHINGS OF JESUS. PS - Aren't dildos illegal in Texas? Is the vegetable industry paying off the state government or something? I hate Texas. I say we give it back to Mexico.

Torgo
06-14-2007, 03:43 PM
I went to Christian schools from the fifth grade on and none of our teachers or pastors made a fuss about it so long as we limited play to before or after school hours.

Zef
06-14-2007, 04:04 PM
I hate Texas. I say we give it back to Mexico.

I'd agree with you, except we wouldn't have the foggiest clue what to do with it.

poetfox
06-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Probably not mess with it.

Jakanden
06-14-2007, 05:31 PM
I remember a while ago that Death Note was banned from schools after a couple kids started writing the names of teachers and classmates they didn't like into their notebooks that they were calling "Death Notes" so maybe that's why the series caught the eye of government officials.

I remember that as well, but government intervention is still bullshit. However, we are talking about China after all.

As far as Pokemon, I believe Harry Potter is the current evil according to the evangelicals.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Well, I think that thinking about Jesus or anything else for that matter IS more productive than thinking about pocket monsters. It's just a fact of life. Same logic applies to Harry Potter, AD&D, video games, etc.

Now, satanizing entertainment is one thing I do not agree with. But, lets face it, there are better things people can do. And if you can think about Richard Dawkins and the Selfish Gene instead of Pokemon or Harry Potter, by all means, please DO IT.

Maggie
06-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Time spent thinking about Jesus is time you could have spent LIVING ACCORDING TO THE TEACHINGS OF JESUS. PS - Aren't dildos illegal in Texas?

It really wouldn't surprise me.

In all fairness, though, our bodies are a temple to God. It'd be like parking the Wienermobile next to the altar.

Although... more people would probably walk up there and recommit to Chist if they thought a delicious and endlessly satisfying Oscar Mayer Wiener (http://www.kraftfoods.com/om/) was in it for them.

Oh, and by the way, I googled "Weiner" to be sure I wasn't supposed to put the I before E or whatever (I can never remember) and this was at the top of the page:

Weiner - www.ebay.com
Looking for Weiner? Find exactly what you want today.

kekekeke

nadia
06-14-2007, 07:47 PM

Time spent thinking about how much you need to pee could be spent thinking about Jesus.

HOLD IT IN, BOY.

Excitemike
06-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Although... more people would probably walk up there and recommit to Chist if they thought a delicious and endlessly satisfying Oscar Mayer Wiener (http://www.kraftfoods.com/om/) was in it for them.

You'd have better luck at a Temple. (http://www.hebrewnational.com/index.jsp)

Torgo
06-14-2007, 08:13 PM
As far as Pokemon, I believe Harry Potter is the current evil according to the evangelicals.
Yeah, HP wasn't too high on the approval lists, but that was four years ago last I checked (my senior year of high school). That said, I've known as many if not more Christian and evangelical families that are plenty fine with the Potter. (I personally am politely ambivalent, since what little I read I thought was pretty stupid).

You'd have better luck at a Temple. (http://www.hebrewnational.com/index.jsp)
Nothing finer then a Kosher dog, my friend.

Kishi
06-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Are kids allowed to wear trenchcoats again yet?

Vahn16
06-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Why wouldn't they be allowed to? Now you've got me interested.

Kishi
06-15-2007, 01:19 AM
Oh, young Vahn16, let me enrich your sense of history. Journey back the 1999 and the alarmist countryside of Columbania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trenchcoat_mafia).

TheSL
06-15-2007, 08:02 AM
I met a girl in college who's family wouldn't let her buy a Final Fantasy game because it contained magic. She bought one while away at college and thought it was so daring...I laughed.

Torgo
06-15-2007, 08:09 AM
On trechcoats: I'm pretty sure that the 'no trenchcoats' thing was as much in public schools as it was in Christian ones. (Probably even moreso since we are talking about the same public school establishment that suspends kindergartens for bringing plastic knives back from lunch.)

I met a girl in college who's family wouldn't let her buy a Final Fantasy game because it contained magic.
My parents held this view when I was a very young child. That said, they eased up as I grew older and it hasn't been an issue for years.