PDA

View Full Version : Planet Puzzle League apparently comes out June 4th.

poetfox
06-02-2007, 11:36 PM
I am excited, even if I'm still sort of unhappy about the stylus controls. I'm sure that'll pass once I get it in my paws, though. Anyone else ready to snap it up?

Eusis
06-02-2007, 11:44 PM
It looks like it's not actually required. At the least, I saw the game being played in the normal DS orientation, not the book one.

... Damn, it's that soon?

alexb
06-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Yeah, it sneaked up on me, too. Why don't they just call it Panel de Pon? The League shit was tacked on for the Pokemon flavored one on N64. I don't really want to be reminded of that.

shivam
06-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Puzzle Quest > this.

Potato
06-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Why don't they just call it Panel de Pon?Puzzle League is more sensible name than Panel de Pon, even without the Pokémon trappings.

alexb
06-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Says you. What league? At any rate, I guess they've settled on a title, which is preferable to them constantly thinking up new stupid names.

Eusis
06-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Panel de Pon is too Japanese. I suppose Puzzle Panel could work, but eh, who cares anyway. It's not like they're renaming Tetris... Well, the real Tetris anyway.

cartman414
06-03-2007, 02:01 AM
Puzzle League is more sensible name than Panel de Pon, even without the Pokémon trappings.

Not by much though. On a literal basis, there's no specific league the title refers to.

Personally Panel de Pon makes me think more of "Pon de Replay" by Rihanna than anything. It sounds very un-Japanese.

Torgo
06-03-2007, 07:05 AM
I'ma wait for Brain Age 2, which has Dr. Mario... er, I mean Virus Buster.

poetfox
06-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Puzzle Quest > this.
As awesome as Puzzle Quest is, this has two benefits that Puzzle Quest is lacking.
1) Single Cart Multiplay with up to four people.
2) Online play.
The chances of me playing a game of Puzzle Quest against someone other than the computer is very unlikely. The chances of me playing a game of Puzzle League against someone else are very high.

Greg4cr
06-03-2007, 09:17 AM
As much as I absolutely love Panel de Pon, I'm not sure if I'll pick up PPL right away. I've been playing the homebrew Tetatt to death. It even has online multiplayer.

cartman414
06-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I wish someone picked up Puyo Pop 15th Anniversary Edition for release over here, since that also includes Wi-fi.

PrimeStyle
06-03-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm going to pick this one up this friday when i get paid. I use to play tones of Tetris Attack on the SNES, the touch pad controls surely will make it better and somewhat faster. From the trailers I have seen the games has tones of modes, wi-fi and game share so im really excited.

Calorie Mate
06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Puzzle Quest > this.

Puzzle League's game play alone makes this statement untrue. Tetris Attack is still the best puzzle game ever.

I'll be picking this up first chance I get. I'm stuck in Vegas all week, but if I can find somewhere to pick this up, it might help pass the time.

j00ey
06-04-2007, 10:58 PM
PLEASE INTERNET YOU'VE GOT TO GET THIS STRAIGHTENED OUT:

panel de pon = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
puzzle quest = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
picross = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
puzzle fighter= OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
magical drop = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
money idol exchanger = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
meteos = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
lumines = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
gunpey = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
devil dice = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
puzzle bobble = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
gurulogi champ = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
puyo puyo = OMG BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER
columns = sux

Torgo
06-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Tetris, obviously.

mr_bungle700
06-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Torgo beat me to it.

TheSL
06-05-2007, 07:04 AM
I'm going to try to pick this up on the way home tonight. Hopefully it won't force stylus control on me, though, because I'm still stuck with the original DS and its crappy little stylus.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Puzzle Quest > this.

No.

poetfox
06-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm going to try to pick this up on the way home tonight. Hopefully it won't force stylus control on me, though, because I'm still stuck with the original DS and its crappy little stylus.

I have it in my paws, and I just checked. You can switch it to the horizontal mode from the menu and play normally using the control pad and buttons at any time. You're probably going to be at a disadvantage if you play online, though.

Jakanden
06-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I have Puzzle Quest and Crush which keeps me happy in the puzzle department.

JCDenton
06-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Panel de Pon is probably my favorite puzzle game. There was nothing better than late night Tetris Attack! with my roommate.

SlimJimm
06-06-2007, 02:21 PM
I kinda liked the Yoshi's Island theme in Tetris Attack, at least it was a setting which allowed for different characters and backgrounds.

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm finding this really confusing. I can't get me head around being able to shuffle pieces around like this. Stylus control is nice.

TheSL
06-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I tried using the stylus control, but after about 10 minutes of pieces not moving exactly where I wanted them I went back to the traditional controls. Is it really worth my time investment to try and switch to the new style permanently?

cartman414
06-06-2007, 03:21 PM

columns = sux

I can see it with Tetris, Panel De Pon, Lumines, Puyo Puyo, Picross, Devil Dice, perhaps even Meteos and Magical Drop, but the rest of those (except for the already noted as "sux" columns) are either pushing it or are a little on the obscure side.

poetfox
06-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I tried using the stylus control, but after about 10 minutes of pieces not moving exactly where I wanted them I went back to the traditional controls. Is it really worth my time investment to try and switch to the new style permanently?
See, after a couple minutes of trying to move the pieces up and down Meteos style, I've had no problems with it. It removed a level of tension to the game... I no longer have to worry like crazy about getting the marker to where I need it during those tense "I'm about to die" moments.

Calorie Mate
06-06-2007, 03:51 PM
I still haven't had a chance to pick this up, but I need it badly.

cartman414
06-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Ditto. I'm waiting for Toys 'R' Us' buy 2 get 1 free game sale about 3 weeks from now.

blitzchamp
06-06-2007, 07:04 PM

columns = sux

I liked columns. :(

j00ey
06-08-2007, 11:00 AM
so yeah this is like the best puzzle game ever

cartman414
06-09-2007, 12:46 AM
PPL just got a 7.5 from Gamespot, and predictably, NeoGAF is none too pleased.