PDA

View Full Version : Fun Club 8: Castlevania - Symphony of the Night

Parish
10-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Viva Metroidvania. LOVE 4EVER

Castlevania Dracula X: Symphony of the Night
Konami | Action | PlayStation (1997) / Saturn (1998) / Xbox 360, PSN, PSP (2007)

Merus
10-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Reverse castle = cheap?

shivam
10-23-2007, 10:54 PM
So guys, one of my favorite parts of this game was the sheer variety of weapons available. I love that one which lets you summon all the random monsters to do stuff. you?

mr_bungle700
10-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm lame. I always just use the Shield Rod + Alucard Shield combo. I cannot resist its awesome power.

Eirikr
10-23-2007, 11:07 PM
IIIIIII'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

ANSWER ME, WHY IS A BEAUMONT PLANNING THE RESURRECTION OF COUNT DRACULA?

DRACULA RISES BUT ONCE EVERY CENTURY - AND MY ROLE IS OVER. IF I CAN RESURRECT HIM, THEN THE BATTLE WILL LAST FOR ETERNITY!

Oh god, someone help me!!! The wait is becoming unbearable!

cartman414
10-23-2007, 11:09 PM
So guys, one of my favorite parts of this game was the sheer variety of weapons available. I love that one which lets you summon all the random monsters to do stuff. you?

Agreed. The Shield Rod spouting the random Gradius frontal shield was some weird stuff.

The game lost some momentum going into the inverted castle though, if not sooner.

Maggie
10-23-2007, 11:09 PM
I always use pretty generic weapons. I don't know what half of the good ones are or how to use them. So it'll be fun actually looking for them this time.

Parish
10-23-2007, 11:33 PM
ANSWER ME, WHY IS A BEAUMONT PLANNING THE RESURRECTION OF COUNT DRACULA?
Don't be fooled by Konami's marketing! His name is actually "Belmont." I know, right?

shivam
10-23-2007, 11:35 PM
and in the new translation, belmont is fighting Count Delacroix.

Maggie
10-23-2007, 11:43 PM
"Shaft... did you get your end in this? I... I got this. The Shaft."

You have no idea how hard it was for me not to add "In my end" to that.

Eirikr
10-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Does the port still have all the Lord of the Rings references in it? Is the Crissaegrim...no longer the Crissaegrim?

Zef
10-23-2007, 11:54 PM
I went around smacking things with random weaponry too, usually the Alucard/t or Jewel swords. It was much later, well after I had put the game to rest, that I learned about stuff like the Crissaegrim, the Alucard Shield, or the Shield Rod. The most ironic part was, after learning that Schmoo drops the Crissaegrim, I prepared myself for a few hours of harvesting when bam! the second Schmoo dropped it.

Right now I'm stuck near the Beelzebub room with Richter trying to get the Belmont's Revenge (I think?) Achievement. It took dying several times to the Snipers in the Inverted Chapel bell towers to realize I took the worst possible route, and now I'm in too deep to double back and look for an alternative.

Eirikr
10-23-2007, 11:58 PM
You probably know this, but just use the Holy Water item crash over and over. If you don't have access to the Holy Water, just try to run through or use Richter's blade dash thing over and over. Man, this is such a help, I know.

Is there an achievement for beating Galamoth with Richter?

Coinspinner
10-24-2007, 12:35 AM
I like the using motions to cast spells in this game but I fail more than half the time on Soul Steal and Tetra Spirit despite using those spells constantly. Never friggin mind Richter's impossible Blade Dash (is that it's name?) or the Sword Familiar's spell.

Parish
10-24-2007, 12:44 AM
When we played SotN with IGA back in March he kept spamming the blade dash. Show-off.

cartman414
10-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Getting the Crissaegrim wasn't terribly hard due to the Schmoo's proximity to the room entry point in that one area where it spawns.

According to GameFAQs, Yuri Lowenthal (Superman from Legion of Superheroes, Sasuke from Naruto) is the new Alucard.

le geek
10-24-2007, 04:03 AM
The game lost some momentum going into the inverted castle though, if not sooner.

Agreed agreed! But damn if it isn't awesome anyway. SOTN oozes style. The later IGA Metroidvanias streamlined and improved on the game, but never quite matched its style. Dawn of Sorrow is actually a slightly better game, but not as classy.

Side note: I don't know where Portrait of Ruin exactly went wrong, but the fact that it felt like "Castlevania as seen on the Kids WB" did not help it at all.

Cheers,
Ben

poetfox
10-24-2007, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I sorta stopped on XBLA when I got to the flipped castle... (that was my first time playing it, actually) I've had a couple random play sessions where I go and beat one boss... but maybe I can go and finish it up now that we're doing this. Stranger things have happened.
I used the Book/Bible/whatever all the damn time... not because it was so good, but because I had just beat Portrait of Ruin and killed like every single boss with it there... so my mind kept telling me it was the best subweapon. I do recall beating that Hippogriff boss with it pretty soundly, though.
Also, I used that "drain life from everyone in the room" spell all the time. Yes, I found it easy to pull off on the 360's D-pad... I'm the only person who loves that thing.

Red Hedgehog
10-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Was this on the list of upcoming Fun Clubs? I don't remember seeing it, or else I would have kept it out of my packed stuff. Of course, given I won't be setting up my PS2 until a week from Thursday at the earliest, I guess my first playthrough of Symphony of the Night will have to wait.

djSyndrome
10-24-2007, 09:15 AM
So, has anyone else played through as Richter? Thinking of trying it this week.

Brickroad
10-24-2007, 10:30 AM

Played through, filled out the map, killed Galamoth.

There really SHOULD be an achievement for killing Galamoth with Richter.

Also, screw Crissaegrim/Shield Rod/whatever. Duplicator + Power of Sire.

SamuelMarston
10-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Holy Rod for the win.

The game is easy enough (even on luck mode) that you really shouldn't need the Crissaegrim, so I play with weapons that have style. I also use the fairy. You know, for those random times you take an unlucky hit and actually die (nova skeletons and floor traps), it saves you a trip to the title screen. Although, I can innately unstone myself faster than she can get out her hammer.

I have played WAY too much of this game.

Has anyone found a use for Tyrfing?

Coinspinner
10-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Tyrfing is the sword with negative attack power, right? It's for making the game harder or for slashing bleeders with Dark Metamorphosis active. Might also curse enemies, but I have no idea how you'd know if it did.

I actually found intelligence mode harder than luck mode. In luck mode I always find some awesome weapon early. On int mode I end up relying on spells, which I fail at.

(Also, Moon Rod for the win.)

Eirikr
10-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Played through, filled out the map, killed Galamoth.

Did you get 195%?

Maggie
10-24-2007, 01:51 PM
I was thrilled when I got to the inverted castle.

But this was back before I had the internet, so I thought the game was over. It was short and I was bummed, but I enjoyed it.

Then I flipped through a magazine and heard there was a lot more to it.

Anonymooo
10-24-2007, 05:43 PM
On an only-very-slightly-related note, SotN's soundtrack is absolutely awesome to play Halo 3 multiplayer to.

I'm starting SotN tomorrow night when I get home from work. And yeah, I'd like to know if there are any more major differences between the shiny rerelease and the original version.

SlimJimm
10-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Woo im #1 for this game on my Friend's Leaderboard on XBLA!

And yes I bought this for XBLA when I already own it on the PS1 and I dont know why.
._.

Torgo
10-24-2007, 11:40 PM
I said it in my SotN topic a couple months back, and I'll say it again: I found more satisfaction in playing as Richter then I did Alucard. I also beat Galamoth, but I pretty much had to be a complete cheapass to do so. Heaven knows I tried enough times in a relatively honest way.

With Alucard, I gotta keep it simple and go with the Alucard Sword.

The inverted castle: The pacing would be much better if the entire castle wasn't set to a whopping two or three tracks, all of which pale in comparison to the tunage available right-side up. (Except for that tune in the Upside-down Library. That one's cool).

Maggie
10-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Yup, agreed. And I guess it's sort of the nature of the thing, but there isn't as much exploration in the inverted one. You already know where everything is and you know you need to kill the bosses, so it's just a matter of walking from one to the other in any order. I kind of wish there were some new, more interesting abilities or obstacles, but at the time, I was just thrilled that the game wasn't over.

Parish
10-24-2007, 11:52 PM
I was just giddy once I realized I was fighting the original Castlevania's bosses (plus zombie mockeries of Alucard's companions from Dracula's Curse) in order to procure Dracula's body bits from Simon's Quest. Fanservice was still a new concept back then.

shivam
10-24-2007, 11:54 PM
yeah, fighting grant and sypha and trevor totally made my day when i stumbled on that part of the castle.

Gredlen
10-25-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the inverted castle.

Although I appreciated that it added more time to the game, playing the same repetitive track for nearly the entire castle was a terrible and annoying idea. Also, I disliked that the color palette consisted almost entirely of blue. It's like they tried everything they could to make it feel like the exact same thing.

I also felt that there was absolutely no balance, but I'm willing to go a little easy on that aspect. You're already able to access everything, so directing people along certain paths is difficult without explicitly blocking off given areas.

But I'm still a huge fan of the game! And my gripes with that part of the game aren't so bad that I won't still play through it.

Eirikr
10-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Just unlocked Symphony in DXC. Some things of note:

1. The new voices are lame. Yep, it's true. Even some of the lines are exactly the same! Alucard sounds like he should be attending a Fallout Boy concert instead of storming Dracula's castle.

2. Sequence breaking stuff is still there. You can get the power of wolf and go right into Olrox's Quarters and the Colosseum. I'm currently trying to get a Ring of Varda...

Gredlen
10-25-2007, 12:29 AM
I haven't picked up Dracula X Chronicles yet, but I really liked Alucard's old voice. His deep, booming voice was definitely not what I initially expected, but it made him sound like a badass, so I quickly grew to like it.
I rather liked Dracula's, too. And Richter's was just the right kind of bad that made it classic.
But I'm looking forward to seeing for myself what the new voices will sound like. I already own the PSX and XBLA versions, so I won't much mind whatever changes they throw at the PSP one.

Maggie
10-25-2007, 12:48 AM
I had never beaten Castlevania 3 (still haven't!), so I didn't really know who Grant and Sypha were, and I thought Trevor was Simon.

I actually remember being very dissapointed when I first got the game that it didn't have levels like a "normal" Castlevania.

cartman414
10-25-2007, 01:39 AM
Agreed agreed! But damn if it isn't awesome anyway. SOTN oozes style. The later IGA Metroidvanias streamlined and improved on the game, but never quite matched its style. Dawn of Sorrow is actually a slightly better game, but not as classy.

All true. But of course, substance over style in my book. Which also explains my preference of Link's Awakening over Link to the Past among the top down 2d Zeldas, for instance.

Side note: I don't know where Portrait of Ruin exactly went wrong, but the fact that it felt like "Castlevania as seen on the Kids WB" did not help it at all.

Cheers,
Ben

PoR was a somewhat botched attempt at combining both the level based and free-roaming styles of Castlevania.

1. The new voices are lame. Yep, it's true. Even some of the lines are exactly the same! Alucard sounds like he should be attending a Fallout Boy concert instead of storming Dracula's castle.

True. Yuri Lowenthal was miscast here.

Balrog
10-25-2007, 07:55 AM
I had never beaten Castlevania 3 (still haven't!), so I didn't really know who Grant and Sypha were, and I thought Trevor was Simon.

I actually remember being very dissapointed when I first got the game that it didn't have levels like a "normal" Castlevania.

Playing as Grant is one of the funnest things you can do in a video game, honest.

Parish
10-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Portrait of Ruin went wrong by making its characters move too quickly. Compare it to Symphony and you'll see the pacing is off -- since the characters are so speedy, they breeze through every room. Thus more rooms have to be created to make the game feel big enough, and less attention is put into each individual room. Think of how every single room of Symphony was memorable and constructed for a specific kind of challenge, then think of Portrait's bland boxes full of abritrary foes. It had its moments, but they were much less frequent than in previous free-roaming Castlevanias.

That said, I forgot to mention the best part of the Symphony remake in my review! They ditched "I Am The Wind." (Also, I suddenly realized last night that the woman who sang that also sang "Snake Eater.")

Tomm Guycot
10-25-2007, 09:31 AM
That said, I forgot to mention the best part of the Symphony remake in my review! They ditched "I Am The Wind."

B-But! You said the emulated games had WORSE music!

Octopus Prime
10-25-2007, 09:42 AM
That said, I forgot to mention the best part of the Symphony remake in my review! They ditched "I Am The Wind." (Also, I suddenly realized last night that the woman who sang that also sang "Snake Eater.")

I can't decide if this revelation makes I am the Wind better, or Snake Eater worse.

Parish
10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
B-But! You said the emulated games had WORSE music!
Well, yes. Now the ending theme is "The Alucard Rap."

I'm Alucard and I'm here to say
I hate my dad in a major way
I level up, use Power Of Sire
To save all humans from that vampire
Word to my mother! (Not the succubus.)
Aw, yeh.

Tomm Guycot
10-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Aw, yeh.

I demand to know how long it took you to come up with that awesomeness.

SamuelMarston
10-25-2007, 10:43 AM
I still love this game more than the other semi-free roaming Castlevanias, granted I didn't play the Rondo no Ducci Al Dente Richter game or whatever these newfangled PSPs play.

Parish
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I demand to know how long it took you to come up with that awesomeness.
I was totally freestylin', homie.

If you're lucky maybe we'll perform it in the next podcast. I'm still bummed that our acapella rendition of the Retronauts theme was lost to an editing error.

Zef
10-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Aw, yeh.

This is the crowning achievement of man, and I hereby propose that this replaces the hideous GFW Podcast "rap" advert that plagues 1up Yours and EGM Live, from here till the end of time.

Eirikr
10-25-2007, 11:35 AM
I was totally freestylin', homie.

It's been 100 years
Since Dracula made his move
He's back, he's ready, coming soon
Dracula, you better beware
Your time is through
'Cause SIMMON is coming after you

If only that was a freestyle and not plagiarized.

cartman414
10-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Portrait of Ruin went wrong by making its characters move too quickly. Compare it to Symphony and you'll see the pacing is off -- since the characters are so speedy, they breeze through every room. Thus more rooms have to be created to make the game feel big enough, and less attention is put into each individual room. Think of how every single room of Symphony was memorable and constructed for a specific kind of challenge, then think of Portrait's bland boxes full of abritrary foes. It had its moments, but they were much less frequent than in previous free-roaming Castlevanias.

Interestingly, those are the complaints leveled by some people against Aria and Dawn of Sorrow.

Parish
10-25-2007, 11:48 AM
'Cause BEAUMONT is coming after you
Fixed!

Eirikr
10-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Fixed!

http://home.comcast.net/~ericjonathansmith/220px-Hugh_Beaumont.jpg

Beavervania: Morality Lesson In The Daylight?

ShakeWell
10-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Right now I'm running on memories of this game, seeing as I haven't thrown it in in some time, but I will say these things: at the time the inverted castle really impressed me, playing as Richter was dope, and I stuck with swords all the way through.

I remember really wanting the Spawn game for my birthday that year, until I rented it. I then told my mother that I really, really didn't want it anymore, and that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night had gotten really, really good reviews, and that she should get me that instead. She did. She's the best. This game still sits in my top ten of all time. In fact, I have a tattoo of Alucard.

Coinspinner
10-26-2007, 10:31 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/Coinspinner/Junk/SOTN_confesional_death.png

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/Coinspinner/Junk/SOTN_WEREBANE_OMGYES11one1.png

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/Coinspinner/Junk/SOTN_WEREBANE_OMGYES22two2.png

Basilard: Love the speed. If you hold down the button Alucard poses.
\/
Jewel Knuckle: Fairly fast and hits hard for how soon you can get it.
\/
Holy Rod & Star Flail: Push back, forward, attack to get a special animation. Doesn't seem to do more damage or hit a wider area though.
\/
Alucart set: Got me a Were Bane in just a few minutes. :D
\/
Were Bane: Quick, but not much reach. Down, down-toward, toward, attack for a devastating special attack. Awesome weapon.
\/
Moon Rod: Down, down-toward, toward, attack to deliver punishment in the name of the moon. This basically kills everything in front of you, even the heavy armored guys in the Black Marble Gallery, and is more satisfying to use than Crissaegrim.

Tomm Guycot
10-26-2007, 11:10 PM
I haven't played this game since it first came out, so I'm a little rusty.

I will say two things:

1) There is more backtracking than recent Metroids. So shut up already.
2) There are as many big empty stretches as the DS games. Sorry kids.

Gredlen
10-26-2007, 11:17 PM
I LOVED that confession booth. The little details always amuse me.
I also liked the birds at the bottom of the Outer Wall.

cartman414
10-26-2007, 11:21 PM

I will say two things:

Thank you. I'd also like to add the long hallways. Less is more sometimes.

Not harshing on it exactly, as a lot of it is still quite awesome, but it isn't like it's the gold standard of the series. Not to mention the attacks on IGA and his Metroidvanias ever since.

P. S. Not feeling the new font used for area entrances.

Maggie
10-26-2007, 11:27 PM
It is impossible for me to use the shield effectively in the first few fights unless I do really weird things with my hands.

Also, trying to do a downward diagonal slash while ducking makes me feel like I'm about to break my PSP's D-Pad, so I'm afraid to even try spells.

But yeah, the empty rooms and hallways are here, but I guess you don't mind as much the first time you have to deal with it. And if the backgrounds are good, you'll feel like you really ARE in the middle of a cohesive world, rather than trapped in a left-to-right game. Castlevania 4 did that really well and SOTN and Aria do it pretty great, too. Haven't played any of the DS games, so I can't really comment there.

Makkara
10-26-2007, 11:28 PM

I will say two things:

1) That may well be true, (I haven't really compared them) but recent Metroids are in 3D, and therefore inherently more complex and tedious to backtrack through.

2) Perhaps, but at least these big empty stretches are interestingly and often uniquely shaped.

Edit:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5806/devilpostvl1.gif

Hell yeah! It even kind of fits the Castlevania theme.

Tomm Guycot
10-26-2007, 11:31 PM
2) Perhaps, but at least these big empty stretches are interestingly and often uniquely shaped.

Vehemently disagree. They're exactly like 2D Metroid--one trope repeated ad nauseum in a single corridor/tower.

Again - I love the game. Am enjoying it. Just trying to rinse some of the rose tinting out of your eyes with a gentle realism wash.

Makkara
10-26-2007, 11:53 PM
I have to disagree with your disagreement. While there certainly are areas that are essentially one screen repeated over and over, such as the corridor in Marble Gallery and the Outer Wall, there are also many more unique and interesting rooms than in the GBA and DS Castlevanias. Things like the long staircase, or the great hall with the stained glass windows, or the big waterfall, or the Merman pond under the huge boulder. These kinds of instantly recognizable landmarks are more scarce (but not missing altogether) in the later installments.

cartman414
10-27-2007, 12:02 AM
I have to disagree with your disagreement. While there certainly are areas that are essentially one screen repeated over and over, such as the corridor in Marble Gallery and the Outer Wall, there are also many more unique and interesting rooms than in the GBA and DS Castlevanias. Things like the long staircase, or the great hall with the stained glass windows, or the big waterfall, or the Merman pond under the huge boulder. These kinds of instantly recognizable landmarks are more scarce (but not missing altogether) in the later installments.

Not all of which are necessarily more fun to play through though. The advantages there are mostly aesthetic.

Kishi
10-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Does the port still have all the Lord of the Rings references in it? Is the Crissaegrim...no longer the Crissaegrim?

Only the spoken dialogue has been redone. Aside from that, the text has been carried over directly from Blaustein's localization. Unes are still "Thornweeds," the alcoholic items are still called things like "Grape Juice" and "Barley Tea," and so on.

Oh, but the Game Over screen has reverted back to its Engrishy Japanese version. "Let us go out the evening for pleasure," indeed.

When we played SotN with IGA back in March he kept spamming the blade dash. Show-off.

Next time, make him play it on PSP. If he can consistently do it--or any of Alucard's spells, or even Maria's phantom ninja move in the original Rondo--on that crappy D-Pad, then I'll be impressed.

I was just giddy once I realized I was fighting the original Castlevania's bosses (plus zombie mockeries of Alucard's companions from Dracula's Curse) in order to procure Dracula's body bits from Simon's Quest. Fanservice was still a new concept back then.

Fan service was still a new concept in 1989, when Dracula's Curse came out with a revamped version of Block 1 from the original game, complete with "Vampire Killer" as the background music. By 1997, it was an art form.

Just unlocked Symphony in DXC. Some things of note:

I totally agree: His original English voice suited him much better. But Al's always sounded like a teenager in the Japanese games, so they were probably just trying to match.

Actually, everything new about the localization smacks of an attempt to provide a straight literal translation in response to the notoriety of Blaustein's script. Unfortunately, everyone can now see that what we got back in '97 was so much smoother and more nuanced than the alternative they thought they wanted. Even disregarding the VA, the sentence structure of the new dialogue is horribly awkward.

And the reason some lines seem nearly identical to Blaustein's cut is because, for all the flavor he added, he still stayed basically true to what was being said in the Japanese version. So now it seems like the characters are telling the same story, except going out of their way to avoid phrasing anything in a way that would sound, you know, good.

2. Sequence breaking stuff is still there. You can get the power of wolf and go right into Olrox's Quarters and the Colosseum. I'm currently trying to get a Ring of Varda...

You can only get Rings of Varda on a "Clear" or "Replay" file, remember?

Tomm Guycot
10-27-2007, 04:54 PM

I'm referring more to the fact that I get all the way to the upper right of the castle. My next objective is the Mermaid Statue in the lower left. So I go ALL the way down, then ALL the way left. After grabbing the statue, my next objective is the lower RIGHT. But I can't just go right along the bottom cause of the damn waterfall.

I have to go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL the way back around the long way.

That's BS.

everyone can now see that what we got back in '97 was so much smoother and more nuanced than the alternative they thought they wanted

HA HA HA no.

Kishi
10-27-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm referring more to the fact that I get all the way to the upper right of the castle. My next objective is the Mermaid Statue in the lower left. So I go ALL the way down, then ALL the way left. After grabbing the statue, my next objective is the lower RIGHT. But I can't just go right along the bottom cause of the damn waterfall.

That's BS.

Uh, by the time you're in the caverns, you should have the ability to fly, if not super-jump. And the Mermaid Statue is optional anyway, so you can go after it whenever you want.

HA HA HA no.

GEH HEH HEH yes. Again, I'm talking about the writing.

Tomm Guycot
10-27-2007, 06:26 PM
I do not have the ability to fly, nor do I know where to get it (or where to go next).

Kishi
10-27-2007, 06:54 PM
It goes like this.

1. Navigate the Alchemy Lab, Marble Gallery, and Outer Wall to reach the Long Library.
2. In the Long Library, buy the Jewel of Open.
3. Back in the Alchemy Lab, use the Jewel to open the door leading to the Chapel.
4. Navigate the Chapel to reach the Castle Keep.
5. In the Castle Keep, get the Leap Stone. Now you can double-jump!
6. In the clock room at the center of the Marble Gallery, wait for the statue on the left to move out of the way, then double-jump into the passage. This takes you to the Colosseum by way of Olrox's Quarters.

7. In the Colosseum, get the Form of Mist.
8. Go back to the Long Library. Double-jump to reach a new area, then turn into mist to bypass a grate at the end. Get the Soul of Bat.
9. Now you can fly. Head straight for the throne room to get the bad ending or begin navigating the rest of the castle at your liesure.

Makkara
10-27-2007, 07:00 PM

That's BS.

It sounds like you're trying to do things in an order not enforced by the game. Instead of seeing it as a series of objectives, you'd be better off just exploring the castle as you go. The next time you wind up near the caverns, you can go pick up the Holy Symbol. In the mean time, if you can't fly yet, there are plenty of other places you haven't explored.

Besides, if you want to get somewhere fast, there's always the warp rooms.

Tomm Guycot
10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
It sounds like you're trying to do things in an order not enforced by the game. Instead of seeing it as a series of objectives, you'd be better off just exploring the castle as you go. The next time you wind up near the caverns, you can go pick up the Holy Symbol. In the mean time, if you can't fly yet, there are plenty of other places you haven't explored.

Besides, if you want to get somewhere fast, there's always the warp rooms.

There aren't warp rooms near there.

And again, I'm not going from memory (objectives). I WAS exploring at my leisure. That clocktower nonsense is BS as well.

lotusreaver
10-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Those screenshots brought back memories. Quick question for those who have SotN unlocked:

When you sit in the confessional, does the priest speak? I remember that he speaks in the Japanese PSX version. But in the NA version, although they recorded dialogue and it could be found on the disc, they don't actually say anything when Alucard sits down.

EDIT: By the way, somebody posted videos on YouTube of the new voices (for those of us who don't have the game yet). Death's new laugh sounds hilarious. Hur hur hur hur.

Intro Sequence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpK4XIADdv0)
First Encounter with Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryfwbyifpGM)
Alucard meets Maria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axQlRGHoeM)

Stiv
10-27-2007, 08:55 PM
The game's a little too easy and that inverted castle stuff makes me want to blow my head off. I understand that the rooms are 'different' because they pose new challenges, and it's interesting that the game was designed well enough that they could actually DO the inverted castle, but god, it's boring. Part of the problem is that there are only two (three?) soundtracks that play in it, which robs the individual areas of a good portion of their charm.

Combat Knife FOREVER, suckers. If you know how to use all the spells appropriately it's not hard to get through the game with just that.

Also, for the guy who wondered if it was worth playing as Richter, the answer is yes. It makes the game completely different and also opens up the possibility of a 7-minute speedrun. (http://speeddemosarchive.com/CastlevaniaSotN.html)

Does the new version (any of them) have some of the Saturn stuff? Did they remove the cool bug where you can get down into the unfinished area that's located right underneath the first room?

Torgo
10-27-2007, 10:53 PM
EDIT: By the way, somebody posted videos on YouTube of the new voices (for those of us who don't have the game yet). Death's new laugh sounds hilarious. Hur hur hur hur.

Intro Sequence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpK4XIADdv0)
First Encounter with Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryfwbyifpGM)
Alucard meets Maria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axQlRGHoeM)
... keeping it real, I'm not sure I'd call the voice acting that much better. Point in fact, I'm not even sure the dialouge itself is. I mean, it's a little less nonsensical, but I'd hardly call it the miraculous rewrite some were hoping for.

Kfroog
10-28-2007, 12:49 AM
They should've kept the exact same script and just had new VAs for Maria and Richter. This is horrible. I thought I was going to get this eventually.

edit: And I mean not the new ones they did get.

edit again: I mean, seriously. When you re-localize an already-localized game, that's supposed to be for the purpose of improving upon the previous localization. What happened here? What were they paying these people for?

lotusreaver
10-28-2007, 01:22 AM
"Tribute? You're a thief!"

Do I smell a new internet meme?

Kfroog
10-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Oh, yeah, and also the succubus. The succubus also needed a new voice cause damn

Maggie
10-28-2007, 01:57 AM
What's the move to make the shield rod do its neat tricks? So far, all I've managed is the goofy Gradius thing.

Although I don't know when I'll play next. A little rattled. I got too curious and watched an editted version of Audition.

I NEVER need to see the uncensored one. That was enough. I just.. agh. Maybe playing SOTN would be a good idea.

Makkara
10-28-2007, 02:46 AM
What's the move to make the shield rod do its neat tricks? So far, all I've managed is the goofy Gradius thing.

Have the rod in one hand and a shield in the other. Push both buttons at the same time. The effect varies depending on which shield you're using.

Kishi
10-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Those screenshots brought back memories. Quick question for those who have SotN unlocked:

When you sit in the confessional, does the priest speak? I remember that he speaks in the Japanese PSX version. But in the NA version, although they recorded dialogue and it could be found on the disc, they don't actually say anything when Alucard sits down.

Yeah, he speaks now. He also probably has the best voice actor in the game this time.

Combat Knife FOREVER, suckers. If you know how to use all the spells appropriately it's not hard to get through the game with just that.

Unfortunately, knowing how to use the spells doesn't account for too much when actually pulling off the motions is nearly impossible on the PSP. Diagonals are pretty much out of the question on the D-Pad, and while the analog nub can do them, it compensates by being incredibly imprecise. On average, I think I can pull off Soul Steal about once every twenty attempts.

Supposedly, the D-Pad on the PSP Slim & Lite & 2000 remedies all this, but I wanted this game for thirty dollars, not two hundred.

Does the new version (any of them) have some of the Saturn stuff? Did they remove the cool bug where you can get down into the unfinished area that's located right underneath the first room?

No, you can still glitch yourself down there, same as it ever was. As for Saturn stuff, you can play as Maria, but everything from her sprites to her moveset have been completely redone.

Crested Penguin
10-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Replaying this reminds me how cool it is to be able to have two different weapons equipped. It's nice to be able to swap instantly from a slow reach weapon to a fast, short range one. I suppose Doppleganger sort of had this function in DoS, but I like having them both instantly available is better than having what amounts to a toggle.

Kishi
10-28-2007, 11:41 AM
It's also useful to keep a shield or a recovery item in your off-hand just in case. Then there are weapons that must be held with two hands, or have special properties if you have a certain item in the other hand, or if you have one in each hand...

Yeah, it's easy to see why this is missed in the more recent games.

shivam
10-28-2007, 11:53 AM
i used to spam dual-wielded crissagrims for shits and giggles.

Eirikr
10-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Does anyone know if they messed with the item drop rates in the PSP port? I have been trying to get a Ring of Varda from that giant skeleton in the Colosseum for hours and hours now. I'd give up, but you know, I don't want to feel like I've done all that for nothing.

Maggie
10-28-2007, 06:51 PM
How do you make the statue on the right go away in the clock room? Do you need an item or do you just have to wait a while?

Also, I love the new boss. I wasn't expecting it and I was watching Bug while playing and looked down at my PSP and realized I was being attacked. So cool.

Oh, and the Joseph Cloak is my favorite item in any castlevania ever.

Usually I have the outer part a forest green and the lining a neon, cobalt blue. But this time, because I'd been using the Elven cloak so much (bought it cuz I couldn't afford the Joseph's Cloak at the time), I made the outer part a light, pastel blue while the inner lining is peach and it looks just great. I wish I could get a picture of it.

And I never get tired of the fact that the bat wings reflect this.

Finally, be sure to stand still for a while with the fairy familiar. She'll sit on your shoulder. Then move suddenly and she'll fall off with a shout. Heh heh.

Makkara
10-28-2007, 07:01 PM
How do you make the statue on the right go away in the clock room? Do you need an item or do you just have to wait a while?

You have to use the Watch subweapon. It's available a few screens to the right of the clock room, I think.

Coinspinner
10-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if they messed with the item drop rates in the PSP port? I have been trying to get a Ring of Varda from that giant skeleton in the Colosseum for hours and hours now. I'd give up, but you know, I don't want to feel like I've done all that for nothing.

You can only get Rings of Varda on a "Clear" or "Replay" file, remember?

If you are doing it right, then I'll just say it always takes me forever to get one of those in the PS1 version.

Maggie
10-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Oh, crap, I never would've thought of that.

Thanks!

Tomm Guycot
10-28-2007, 07:13 PM
What new boss?

Maggie
10-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Maria. That is new, isn't it? I never fought her before, so maybe my memory's just bad.

Kishi
10-28-2007, 07:35 PM

You need to be playing a "Clear" or "Replay" file in order to get Rings of Varda. It was like this on the PlayStation, too.

Maggie
10-28-2007, 07:48 PM
What does the Ring of Varda do, anyway? It sounds familiar.

Um, and apparently my character is now named Alucart. XD Do these do anything special?

Kishi
10-28-2007, 07:56 PM
The Ring of Varda gives Strength +30, Constitution +10, Intelligence +30, Luck +5, Attack +10, and Defense +10. Equipping two of these plus the Crissaegrim is tantamount to God Mode.

Independently, the Alucart items just have bad stats, but if you equip all of them at once, you get the Alucart status, which boosts your Luck stat by 30. It's good for going after rare item drops.

Eirikr
10-28-2007, 08:32 PM
You need to be playing a "Clear" or "Replay" file in order to get Rings of Varda. It was like this on the PlayStation, too.

I never ever knew this. Then again, I haven't played a non-Replay game of Symphony since spring of 2000. Well, at least I gained a few levels, right?

reibeatall
10-29-2007, 08:32 AM
I haven't played this game since it first launched.

Hey guys, there's another me, and he's kicking my ass.

SlimJimm
10-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Symphony of the Night was probably the first game ever where I was compelled to get every item, and explore every corner of the map and try for the highest percentage. Now I have to do this for every new Castlevania that comes out.

Lakupo
10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
This is probably my 9th or 10th playthrough of SotN (it's an annual thing these days, along with the Metroid series), so I know I'm used to certain things and trying not to let that cloud my judgment of the changes, but there's all these little things...

It all isn't much of a retranslation as much as an awkward rewording, so those changes kind of grate because they're different, but not different enough to feel like it was worth changing at all. The new voices are all right, since they had to remain internally consistent with Drac X.

Why are the sound effects so loud and sharper? Sound mixing is a problem with the entire set, music is set too low, but the sound effects actually sound different in SotN.

I've always liked I Am The Wind, as cheesy as it is, so I miss it, and the boring plonky piano tune in its place doesn't help.

This is a hardware issue (like ghosting issues in Rondo), I don't get why I can pull off Dark Metamorphosis on the PSP, but not Soul Steal. I've had to actually use POTIONS. Sheesh. I've been making more use of Summon Spirit than ever before though, and another effort to make this playthrough different, I've been carrying the diamond around, which may only be really useful in some situations, it's still damn fun to watch. Cheap on hearts, too.

Traumadore
10-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, Ditto on Combat Knife. You can beat half the bosses in the game without being hit.

Playing this game again I have realised how incredibly easy it is. I beat all the bosses in 7.5 hours without even rushing, which struck me as much shorter than my memories told me. Even Galamoth was way less of an epic fight. I just put on all my best defense and lightning resistant gear, got between his feet and rocked him with the Rune Sword.

Le sigh. I wish there was a straight up hard mode.

Torgo
10-29-2007, 04:21 PM
..but the sound effects actually sound different in SotN.
That's because no publisher/developer has any idea how to actually get their games to sound right when the port or update them to a portable platform. Most of the sound effects in FFT were fudged as well. This was tolerable on the GBA because of the inferior sound capabilities, when when you're hardware doubles as a freaking mp3 player it ought to be able to play PS1-era sounds.

Eirikr
10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
So in other words, eBay prices on PS1 SOTN aren't going down anytime soon?

Lakupo
10-29-2007, 07:02 PM
That's because no publisher/developer has any idea how to actually get their games to sound right when the port or update them to a portable platform. Most of the sound effects in FFT were fudged as well. This was tolerable on the GBA because of the inferior sound capabilities, when when you're hardware doubles as a freaking mp3 player it ought to be able to play PS1-era sounds.

That would be fine if Sony hadn't put out an emulator that runs just fine and doesn't mess up sound effects. The port's sound effects were most likely resampled at a higher rate. In addition to just being LOUD. Ow. What's the point of awesome music when the sound effects are twice as loud?

Maggie
10-29-2007, 07:09 PM
What's the point of awesome music when the sound effects are twice as loud?

It makes you feel like you're at a house party with Alucard or something. I assume he makes the "HWAH!" sounds when he dances, too.

"Seriously, guys, you've got to leave. We can't hear the music, there's guano all over the place, and I don't even want to know what happened to my mom's candles."

Lakupo
10-29-2007, 08:27 PM
It makes you feel like you're at a house party with Alucard or something. I assume he makes the "HWAH!" sounds when he dances, too.

"Seriously, guys, you've got to leave. We can't hear the music, there's guano all over the place, and I don't even want to know what happened to my mom's candles."

"But duuuuuuuuude, the dead people give me cool things when I break the candles! Axes and knives! And money!"

Alucard: *facepalm*

MCBanjoMike
10-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Unlike most of you fine folks, I'm currently playing SOTN for the very first time, courtesy of XBLA. Things got off to a good start with the introduction part of the game, which I found to be quite epic. I mean, you fight Dracula within 30 seconds of starting the damn game! With another character! Very cool.

As someone who stopped playing Castlevania games after III and only picked them up again around Dawn of Sorrow, SOTN is an interesting journey. I enjoy playing the game on a TV, rather than a tiny portable system screen, I find it makes the whole affair much more impressive. Obviously, Symphony's excellent musical score helps as well, the production values are quite good overall.

A little bit less fun was the part where I spent 2 hours wandering around like a vampire with his head cut off, not knowing where to go. After getting the double jump and the wolf transformation, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the next major upgrade was. I finally found it when I realized that one of the clock-room statues had moved out of the way, opening up the passage to the mist transform. But what decides whether the statues move or not? After exploring that whole area, I tried going back only to find the way blocked again! I'm assuming that it has something to do with how long you've been playing, but it's a bit obtuse.

Anyway, now that I'm making progress again I'm having a good time. I have to assume that the game would have had more impact if I hadn't already played some of the later portable games, because they crib quite liberally from SOTN's design (as I'm sure everyone but me knew already). But I have to stop reading this thread, because I keep catching glimpses of various spoilers! At least I already knew about the infamous inverted castle before starting, so seeing it in the achievement list was no shocker.

Brickroad
10-30-2007, 08:47 AM
A little bit less fun was the part where I spent 2 hours wandering around like a vampire with his head cut off, not knowing where to go. After getting the double jump and the wolf transformation, I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the next major upgrade was. I finally found it when I realized that one of the clock-room statues had moved out of the way, opening up the passage to the mist transform. But what decides whether the statues move or not? After exploring that whole area, I tried going back only to find the way blocked again! I'm assuming that it has something to do with how long you've been playing, but it's a bit obtuse.

That's pretty much the bottleneck everyone hits, and I'd even go so far as to say it's a little unfair. Basically, one of the paths opens only at certain times (which basically means standing around the room for a minute or two and waiting for it) and the other only opens if you use the stopwatch item in the room.

MCBanjoMike
10-30-2007, 08:55 AM
That's pretty much the bottleneck everyone hits, and I'd even go so far as to say it's a little unfair. Basically, one of the paths opens only at certain times (which basically means standing around the room for a minute or two and waiting for it) and the other only opens if you use the stopwatch item in the room.

What, the stopwatch? Is there a clue somewhere that's supposed to tell you that, or do you just have to be a master of lateral thinking? Anyway, glad to know I'm not alone in having that problem. It seems pretty cheap to hide an essential item behind a door that might just happen to be closed even though you've got everything else you need to proceed. It's definitely frustrating. Oh well, time to let the healing begin.

On a happier note, I apparently got lucky, because I picked up a Were-Bane sword on total chance with no grinding. It is awfully sweet, although I spent some time with the shield rod, too, trying to figure out what the point of those little stars it shoots is. Still have no idea, actually...maybe I should whip out the shield or something once I've sent one out?

Zef
10-30-2007, 09:17 AM
It is awfully sweet, although I spent some time with the shield rod, too, trying to figure out what the point of those little stars it shoots is. Still have no idea, actually...maybe I should whip out the shield or something once I've sent one out?
Shield Rod + Little Stars? You're getting the shields from classic Gradius. Not much use to them, they're just a quirky little injoke from Konami.

Lakupo
10-30-2007, 02:23 PM
The real magic of the Shield Rod comes through when you use the rod and a shield at the same time.

And man, it took me 45 minutes to grind for a were bane, even with the Alucart set. :( And I don't even use it because I'm playing through with the Alucart set as much as possible.

Tomm Guycot
10-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Anybody find Nose Demon and Pixie?

Cause I can't but I want to.

Maggie
10-30-2007, 06:21 PM
N...Nose Demon?

What's that?

Lakupo
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM
I actually found the Nose Demon and the Fairy first. Then I found the regular Demon and the Faerie later. I forgot where though. :D

"Hey, what's this!? A switch? I much prefer shiny red buttons but this. will. do."

Kishi
10-30-2007, 08:45 PM
The Fairy Card is in a hidden room in the ceiling of a corridor in Olrox's Quarters, where the Sword Card was in the American PlayStation version. The Nose Demon Card is in a similar compartment in the Colosseum, where a Holy Sword used to be.

N...Nose Demon?

What's that?

The Japanese version of Symphony had two extra familiars that were originally cut from the American version, causing some item locations to be shuffled. The familiars and the item placement were both restored on the PSP.

One is the Fairy, a palette-swapped Faerie that will sing Alucard a song, "Nocturne," if you keep him seated in a chair for a minute or so. However, even in the Japanese version, this was originally left unimplemented; the Saturn version included it but required that an accessory called the "Lyric Card" be equipped; and it wasn't until the "PlayStation the Best" re-release that it was fully present, no Lyric Card needed.

The other one is the Nose Demon, which is nothing more than a Demon familiar with a goofy face and voice--apparently a joke on the voice actor. He surprisingly returned in Curse of Darkness as the "Nose Fairy," where his love of pressing switches continued to thrive.

MCBanjoMike
11-01-2007, 06:04 AM
OK guys, I'm starting to get a bit frustrated. I've cleared pretty much the whole map the first time through, but I have no idea how to unlock the inverted castle. So far I only have three clues I have are:

1) There's a passage in the upper-left area of the map that's filled with spikes. I've tried going through with bat and mist forms, but there's a door at the end that won't seem to open, almost like it's supposed to be accessed only from the other side (you can't stand in front of it because of the spikes on my side).

2) "Something has appeared near the wooden bridge," apparently? No idea.

3) I got an item after a fairly important-seeming battle that had the inscription "Wear...clock" on it. I've tried wearing both the item and the appropriate sub-weapon when I go to fight Richter, but it doesn't seem to make anything happen (unless it's after the credits roll?). What's going on?

A little help would be appreciated, if anyone has some wise words to offer.

Maggie
11-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Go back to the wooden bridge in the caverns and have the skeleton try to throw a barrel at you while standing on it, dodge, and it'll break the bridge.

After that, I think almost everything will fall into place.

Octopus Prime
11-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Perhaps Wear... Clock has something to do with the room with a huge-ass clock in it? Or perhaps, only half of it does

On a related note:
I finally got my 360 online (WHEE!) and the first thing I did was download SotN.

Just lost all my equipment to Death. The voice acting is a little worse then I remember.

Lakupo
11-02-2007, 02:56 AM
I wonder if I would've unlocked the inverse castle by myself without reading about it in magazines back in the day. It's somewhat obtuse at first, but in retrospect, I understand exactly how they're trying to get you to explore the castle, find most of the abilities, and force you to see a couple of story scenes in a rather open game. It's not like the game doesn't drop a few clues either (like a spot sticking out on the map you can buy.) Of course, now it's like "oh, you do this and this and this and voila!" It's like second nature after all these playthroughs, and it's hard to be objective.

SlimJimm
11-02-2007, 10:57 AM
1) There's a passage in the upper-left area of the map that's filled with spikes. I've tried going through with bat and mist forms, but there's a door at the end that won't seem to open, almost like it's supposed to be accessed only from the other side (you can't stand in front of it because of the spikes on my side).

2) "Something has appeared near the wooden bridge," apparently? No idea.

3) I got an item after a fairly important-seeming battle that had the inscription "Wear...clock" on it. I've tried wearing both the item and the appropriate sub-weapon when I go to fight Richter, but it doesn't seem to make anything happen (unless it's after the credits roll?). What's going on?

A little help would be appreciated, if anyone has some wise words to offer.

Ok, in Underground Caverns by the large waterfall and fly over to the left. Press the switch. Now by the wooden bridge 2 screens to the right there will be a Skeleton Ape with a barrel. Get past him and reenter the room and have him throw the barrel at you while on the wooden brige. Dont get hit but let the barrel hit the bridge it will break. This leads to 2 new areas.

In one of the new areas, there is the Spike-breaker armor which will now let you get past the hallway of spikes in the Chapel. Also there is a second ring there which will finish the message and let you get farther in the game and have a better ending.

SlimJimm
11-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Just lost all my equipment to Death. The voice acting is a little worse then I remember.

I dont think the voices were much different but the sound effects are so much worse on the 360. Luckily no load times kinda makes up for this.

MCBanjoMike
11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Guys! I just found this awesome new castle and everything's, like upside down! It's so wicked! Does anyone know about this?

(By which I mean, "thanks Brandon!")

(Also, don't feel bad, SlimJimm, Brandon just suggested it first. You're still special, if only because you're the only person I've ever seen besides myself who seems to care about Cybernator.)

Anyway, yeah, it's cool to run around the upside down castle. I do see what y'all were talking about with the music, though. Compared to pretty much anything from the first castle, it's pretty weak. Also, it seems like about 75% of the inverted castle was designed around jumps that you just barely can't make. It's pretty annoying and I'm hoping that there will be yet another jump height upgrade in Alucard's future, because having to switch to bat mode all the time is wearing a bit thin.

But it's still pretty cool!

Egarwaen
11-02-2007, 03:25 PM
(Also, don't feel bad, SlimJimm, Brandon just suggested it first. You're still special, if only because you're the only person I've ever seen besides myself who seems to care about Cybernator.)

Add one to that count, that game's awesome. I suck at it, but it's still awesome.

I just realized that this is available on XBox Live Arcade and my brother owns a 360. I totally need to play it now.

Kishi
11-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Also, it seems like about 75% of the inverted castle was designed around jumps that you just barely can't make. It's pretty annoying and I'm hoping that there will be yet another jump height upgrade in Alucard's future, because having to switch to bat mode all the time is wearing a bit thin.

Sounds like someone missed the Gravity Boots back in the first castle.

MCBanjoMike
11-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Sounds like someone missed the Gravity Boots back in the first castle.

No, I got them! At the time I didn't think they were very exciting, but now...well, now I just have to wonder why they won't let me jump that extra 10 pixels I seem to need everywhere. It's a pain.

Maggie
11-02-2007, 04:19 PM
It's kind of annoying at first, but you have to quickly press down, then up, then jump to fly to the top of the screen.

SlimJimm
11-02-2007, 06:14 PM
If I was a better writer I would submit a review or something about Cybernator to the site.

And MCBanjoMike you are right about those jumps, the flow of the castle isnt as good upside down (but then again it is an upside castle, so what are you gonna do?), but you can just fly everywhere as a bat or mist now anyways.

Coinspinner
11-02-2007, 06:54 PM
It's really awesome, you have to quickly press down, then up, then jump to fly to the top of the screen.

That's one of the few motions I never fail. I like it a lot more than up+L or whatever it is in the later games.

Lakupo
11-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Anyway, yeah, it's cool to run around the upside down castle. I do see what y'all were talking about with the music, though. Compared to pretty much anything from the first castle, it's pretty weak.
The main themes of the inverted castle are nice songs, but they have issues of length. Lost Painting is too short (or at least, doesn't have enough variety to feel as long as it is), and Final Tocotta is pretty awesome, but it's long and slow to build up. It doesn't get really interesting until three minutes in, and how often do you spend an uninterrupted three minutes in an area without hitting a save point or anything? It would've been nice if the music didn't reset constantly.

And I've always been impressed at how well the level design works upside down. Sure, there's plenty of points where you have to fly/gravity jump around, but there's a lot of ornamental stuff that becomes useful steps... or maybe useful steps that become ornamental... either way!

Zef
11-02-2007, 07:55 PM
It's kind of annoying at first, but you have to quickly press down, then up, then jump to fly to the top of the screen.

And it's ESSENTIAL if you want to fill out the map in the Inverted underwater caverns, as there are entire "squares" that don't light up unless you stick, Spider-Man-like to the ceiling. Or did they finally fix that bug in the PSP version?

Maggie
11-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Oh, I was going to ask about that. I could never get those. But I didn't keep at it enough.

Kishi
11-02-2007, 08:01 PM
The trick is to super-jump into the ceiling, then, during the half-second or so before Alucard starts falling, transform into the wolf. Since the wolf form can swim, Al will initially rise up further, into the ceiling, before coming back down, blue square filled.

This goes for the PlayStation and PSP versions. In the Saturn version, the wolf's ability to swim was removed, making those tricky squares impossible to fill.

Maggie
11-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Since the wolf form can swim,

!!

I did not know this.

Egarwaen
11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
First day's impression: it's fun, but there are bits that are aggravating. IE, virtually the entire cathedral/bell tower/hippogriff stretch, which seems to be based entirely around cheap knockback. I managed to cheese my way through with a lucky combination of special items, but it was still really frustrating. I never ran into anything like this in either of the GBA Castlevanias.

Octopus Prime
11-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Either this game is harder then I remember, or I suck more at it, because I've died a lot more then I usually do so far.

Incidentally, just got to the Colleseum. I figure I'm about 2/3rds through the first castle. Which puts me at about 1/3rd through the entire game.

Parish
11-03-2007, 08:16 PM
I find the game's difficulty level varies depending on how directly you tackle the primary objectives. If you go off the rails from time to time you'll find yourself fairly beefed up by the time you hit each milestone.

MCBanjoMike
11-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Thus far I've found the difficulty to vary quite a bit. It was fairly hard at first (especially 'cause I kept stumbling upon boss encounters after long stretches of exploration without saving), then things got to be pretty darn easy through the end of the first castle. And holy crap, what's up with Death being such a pushover? He's normally the hardest boss in most of the Castlevania games that I've played recently.

Anyway, now that things are all topsy-turvy, it's getting kind of hard again. But I guess you can tackle things in any order in the second castle, so maybe I just chose a hard path right off the bat. Ooh, bad pun.

SlimJimm
11-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I think the difficulty is mostly based on special equipment gathered. If you are playing for your first time you probably have no idea which enemies drop great items you might have a rough time, especially in the Inverted castle. And while it isnt game breaking to miss some good rare enemy drops it does make the game much easier.

Also if you do obsessively kill an enemy for a certain item you are also in a way grinding for exp and can sometimes make leveling up real easy.

Hint (possible spoiler, dont look!): Easy way to get exp in the second castle is to get the Alucard shield from the underground caverns, use the invinciblity gained from using the shield +shield rod and kill the Guardians by the large central clock in the Marble Gallery.

Octopus Prime
11-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Well, the thing is, that I've BEEN doing all the optional stuff first, getting equipment early on which is still quite effective near the end of the first castle, and still I get my ass handed to me regularly.

Incidentally, apparantly all the many, many times I played this game on the PS1, I've apparantly been exploiting a glitch when fighting Karusuman. (minor spoilers) Apparantly, if you actually wait until after he does an attack before you hit him, he doesn't go recoiling across the room every time you hit him. Which makes him much harder to beat, since he can fight back and all.

Shadax
11-04-2007, 02:24 PM
You know, I think that this is pretty much my favorite game, but I don't actually enjoy it up until the stairway at the chapel. It's kind of dull until then, but you start finding interesting items around the area, then you have the intense fight up a long flight of stairs. When you finally make it up there, it's like everything clicks; the enemies get much more interesting, the items and abilities get much more fun, and then you find Tyrfing, realize how crappy it is, look up the reference, and blam, you are drawn into how far reaching the mythology of this game is.

Or at least, that's how it worked when I was 14, many ages ago. Your milage may vary.