PDA

View Full Version : So I just re-read Harry Potter #6

Calorie Mate
06-14-2007, 07:13 PM
...and I'm totally pumped for #7 now. Only 5 weeks to go!

So: thoughts? Theories? Comments?

JCDenton
06-14-2007, 07:24 PM
I enjoyed the sixth book quite a bit, especially compared with the angst-ridden fifth. Only problem with Half-Blood Prince was that my friend is a jerk and had the major spoiler as his desktop image, which I unfortunately glimpsed before reading it.

As for the seventh, I'm looking forward to it, but am in a state of disbelief that this is the end. I remember when the third came out like it was yesterday.

Excitemike
06-14-2007, 07:39 PM
I have never read a Harry Potter book, and I am not about to start. This has not prevented me from having opinions about how the series will end, namely:
(YOU CAN CONSIDER THIS A SPOILER ALERT BECAUSE I AM SO CERTAIN I AM RIGHT)

Dumbledore is not really dead, and Snape will be revealed as a double-double agent and help save everyone.

THE END.

nadia
06-14-2007, 07:42 PM
I will personally see to Rowling's assassination if she phones that shit in.

sraymonds
06-14-2007, 08:09 PM
I've enjoyed all the books, even Order of the Phoenix, even though Harry was a bit of a shit in it. I never really got the whole deal about the Half Blood Prince though. What was so important about Snape and that whole business?

My library is getting 100 copies of the book, which means I'll get a glimpse of them before street date, since I'll be the one processing them. Too bad the supers won't let me read the whole thing before the 21st.

Sheana
06-14-2007, 09:14 PM
The internet's cooled me to HP fandom a bit, but I'm still excited for the last book and pre-ordered it a few weeks ago.

I did enjoy the sixth book, though I too had the big twist spoiled for me. I was being so careful, too; an asshole on my college's messageboard just randomly posted it in a random thread that had nothing to do with HP, books or anything.

Hard to believe it'll be all over soon. Ten years old...can you really believe Harry Potter has existed for a decade already? It still seems so new.

And place yer bets: who thinks JKR will kill off Harry and give a million fangirls seizures?

Vahn16
06-15-2007, 01:07 AM
I've always loved the Harry Potter books, and I really enjoyed the sixth. I didn't have the plot twist spoiled for me, so it was a pretty crazy moment. I'm really interested in seeing how it all wraps up. My guess (highlight it): Harry dies and then comes back to life somehow. Then he'd beat Voldermort, obviously. That fulfills the prophecy, right? I haven't re-read any of the books, so I maight be missing some loophole that invalidates my entire prediction. Let me know if I'm hopelessly wrong.

Thinaran
06-15-2007, 04:38 AM
Harry himself is the last horcrux and has to sacrifice himself to defeat Voldemort. I'm sure of it.

openedsource
06-15-2007, 05:43 AM
So, he's kind of like Neo?

Turns out in the last book, only the first chapter is about Harry. The rest of the book takes place from the viewpoint of a fey pale-skinned wizard that has only had virtual wizard training and that no one really likes.

sraymonds
06-15-2007, 06:06 AM
Reading the Ron and Hermione sex scene is going to be soooooo awkward.

Oh come on, who doesn't think they're going to get together? Maybe not in that way, but it's bound to happen in the last book. Unless one of them bites it early on.

Any guesses as to who JK was devastated killing off?

reibeatall
06-15-2007, 06:49 AM
I bet she killes a few characters. Ron's sister, Snape, and Harry are my guesses.

I haven't read any of the books, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Zef
06-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Any guesses as to who JK was devastated killing off?

Mrs. Norris, naturally. Rowlings is such a cat person.

BEAT
06-15-2007, 03:10 PM
I read 1-3, sorta read 4, half read 5 and skipped 6 altogether.

My sister loves thoses books though, so I'll probably just get her to summarize it for me.

And she's totally going to kill off hagrid's dog. That poor poor mutt.

He still has a dog, right?

poetfox
06-15-2007, 03:26 PM
I just want to point out that I've saw a book in stores that is nothing but people writing about what they think will happen in Book 7. I think it's even titled "What Will Happen in Harry Potter Book 7." I can't even begin to understand who would read this book.
Oh, found it on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Mugglenet-Coms-What-Happen-Harry-Potter/dp/1569755833/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-2864573-1790846?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181946350&sr=8-2).
I don't get it.

Calorie Mate
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Ok, I'll change the thread title, but from this point forward, all spoilers are allowed. If you're not caught up on the books and care about spoilers, you shouldn't be in here anyway.

With that out of the way...

I, too, think Harry is a horcrux - more specifically, that's what the lightning mark is. I'm sure when all the dust settles, Voldemort will be dead and Harry alive, but his mark will be gone.

As for Rowling being devastated...my guess is, if she has to kill someone, it'll be Hagrid. I don't even want to think about it, but some small part of my fears that this will be the case. Harry talked at the end of Book 6 about how all of his protectors were gone now; but Hagrid's still there. Please let me be wrong about this.

Ron and Hermione is inevitable at this point, I think.

Oh, and Sirius will be back in this one. The absence of a body is just too weird to ignore.

Lastly, I personally think it's obvious Snape is really a good guy (or, at least, on our side...his hatred of Harry is still genuine). I'm betting the thing Snape and Dumbledore were arguing about was that Dumbledore said Snape might have to do it, and Snape didn't want to. Dumbledore's dead for good, though. Rowling won't cheapen his death by bringing him back.

Does anyone here have an idea for R.A.B. that isn't Regulus, Sirius' brother? What with Rowling dropping his name several times in Book 6 and alluding to the fact that the Death Eaters killed him, I personally think she's making it a little too obvious, so I'm guessing it will NOT be him. Even if it is, though, it should be a pretty cool story.

Sheana
06-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I pretty much agree with what you said. Since the horcruxes are Voldemort putting away little pieces of his soul, Harry being one would explain his mysterious link to him, why he has some of his abilities and so on. Whether he lives or dies, it's gonna come down to the scar and the bit of Voldemort he has inside 'im.

I sure hope Lupin doesn't bite it. At this point I'd say it's very likely that Wormtail will die, so that'd make Lupin the last living Maurader. And as one of the beneficial adult figures in Harry's life, he kinda needs to stick around. I'll be sad if Hagrid bites it, just because it's Hagrid.

I have a feeling that R.A.B. will indeed be Sirius' brother. After all, what Harry and Dumbledore went looking for in that cave was a locket, and back in Book Five one of the things the crew came upon while cleaning House Black was a mysterious locket that nobody could open. Said locket re-appeared in Book Six as one of the purloined items Mundungus was trying to sell off, and then disappeared with. JKR tends to place little tidbits like that in books for a reason, so I have a feeling that's one of the horcruxes there, taken by Regulus.

sraymonds
06-15-2007, 07:12 PM
I just want to point out that I've saw a book in stores that is nothing but people writing about what they think will happen in Book 7. I think it's even titled "What Will Happen in Harry Potter Book 7." I can't even begin to understand who would read this book.
Oh, found it on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Mugglenet-Coms-What-Happen-Harry-Potter/dp/1569755833/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-2864573-1790846?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181946350&sr=8-2).
I don't get it.

I saw that book at the store, and I showed it to my girlfriend. Then we did what felt right; we rolled our eyes. If there are going to be books like that, I should write "What Would Have Happened if Firefly Wasn't Cancelled".

When I go over the list of people, I always forget about Hagrid for some reason. I've always thought Hermione was going to die. I don't hate her or anything. Just always thought that.

Guy
06-15-2007, 07:33 PM
I think it's important to note that Rowling has officially stated that Dumbledore and Sirius are definitely dead.

Calorie Mate
06-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Rowling has a tendency to make the deaths happen very suddenly (Cedric, Sirius, and Dumbledore all fit this description), but I really think the fact that Sirius' body disappeared is really suspect.

Sheana
06-15-2007, 08:22 PM
True, but sometimes that's just how people die. There isn't always a body to be found in the end.

Maggie
06-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't get it.

You should go into a Christian bookstore sometime. They have tons of books on "Debunking the Da Vinci Code" or "Finding Christ in Lord of the Rings" and "The Gospel according to Neo," etc.

It's not the same thing but... still pretty creepy. And they seem to sell pretty well.

Zef
06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
The thing that bothered me about Sirius' death wasn't that he died at all, that it was sudden, or that the lack of a body to bury allows interpretations that he's coming back. Rather, it's that the stone gate with the veil worked as a giant deus ex machina in reverse, deliberately crafted for the very specific purpose of killing him off. It wasn't so much Chekhov's Gun as a Chekhov Howitzer, and I felt that its inclusion (and use) was much too clumsy compared to Rowling's other narrative devices.

Calorie Mate
06-15-2007, 10:10 PM
I agree completely...although, if she goes into it in Book 7, then I guess it's less "something crafted specifically for that purpose" and more "yet another carrot on a string that keeps us guessing". I'm hoping for the latter, but it's probably the former.

Balrog
06-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I've always had the feeling that Neville will have a key part in wrapping up the story. Initially I thought he was just in there for comic relief or to make Harry seem more like a badass but I have a crazy feeling that Neville will do something crazy awesome in the last book. He's just around too much to not have a larger role and Rowling has spent time explaining his backstory which usually is a sign that he'll have a larger role later.

I need to get out more...

locit
06-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Quick question: if Harry is a horcrux, why have so many people been trying to kill him on Voldemort's command, including Voldemort himself? I mean, it's in Voldemort's best interests if all the horcruxes remain intact, yes?

Sheana
06-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Probably because Harry was turned into a horcrux accidentally when the death spell rebounded, and Voldemort didn't realize what the outcome was. After all, he's been wondering for years why Harry didn't die and so on.

Loki
06-16-2007, 12:19 AM
I've always had the feeling that Neville will have a key part in wrapping up the story. Initially I thought he was just in there for comic relief or to make Harry seem more like a badass but I have a crazy feeling that Neville will do something crazy awesome in the last book. He's just around too much to not have a larger role and Rowling has spent time explaining his backstory which usually is a sign that he'll have a larger role later.

I need to get out more...

Neville's hidden potential has been built up for a long time. I agree that he will come into his own in this book, but I doubt that he'll be the key that solves everything. Perhaps he will be the key in gettting A horcrux rather than putting them all together or something.

Thinaran
06-16-2007, 12:30 AM
I guess, but there are many horcruxes, remember? He probably has at least one stashed away and guarded by a six-headed dragon or something.

edit: jeez you guys are fast. Answer aimed at locit.

locit
06-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Probably because Harry was turned into a horcrux accidentally when the death spell rebounded, and Voldemort didn't realize what the outcome was. After all, he's been wondering for years why Harry didn't die and so on.

So would that make seven including Harry? Or is it eight? I forget. I suppose they'll probably destroy the "last" one and wonder why the hell Voldemort's not dead before coming to the only possible remaining conclusion. Heck, maybe Ron will have to do him in.

Alright, I think that last sentence proves I need sleep. OR DOES IT?

Thinaran
06-16-2007, 01:05 AM
Six horcruxes.

The diary from book 2 and the Gaunt ring belonging to Voldemort's grandfather are both destroyed. The Slytherin locket which was stolen by RAB is one, and the Hufflepuff cup is another. The last two are unknown, but at least one of them is affiliated with Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. Dumbledore theorized the great snake Nagini (Voldemort's familiar) is one of them.

sraymonds
06-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Rowling has a tendency to make the deaths happen very suddenly (Cedric, Sirius, and Dumbledore all fit this description), but I really think the fact that Sirius' body disappeared is really suspect.

Why are you trying so hard to convince us that Sirius is still alive? It's because...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/lsrsera/murderrodentuh0.gif

hee hee, sorry, Sheana, stole your bit

Anyways, bringing back Sirius would lessen the emotional impact his death had on Harry. Maybe she'll kill off Neville, but after he gets his revenge on the lady that tortured his parents.

EDIT: Geezus, 10 posts went up when I was working on this one. And y'all started talking about Neville too.

Calorie Mate
06-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Hm, ok, but why no body, then? What does Rowling have up her sleeve?

Neville will probably help out wiht a Horcrux or something, but he won't be amazing. Remember, his grandmother has been chastised in the past for wanting him to be "great" like his parents, instead of seeing that he was great in an entirely different way.

I, too, think Voldemort is unaware that Harry is a Horcrux, if that is indeed the case...at least, when he first came back. Who knows if he's figured it out by now or not. The real question is, how would Harry ever figure it out? Personally, I think I'm going to be disappointed if he ISN'T a Horcrux at this point.

sraymonds
06-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Hm, ok, but why no body, then? What does Rowling have up her sleeve?

Her billion dollar writing arms.

I do think y'all got something with these Horcrux theories though. Just a few weeks till we find out. Incidentally, anyone going to watch the movie or buy the games? I'm considering getting the Wii version because the Wiimote becomes the wand and I'm a huge nerd.

Calorie Mate
06-17-2007, 08:50 AM
If I heard that the Wii version turned out great, of course I'd be all over it. Odds are it'll be as mediocre as every other HP game, however, so I think I'll avoid it.

As for the movie: of course I'm going to go see it. I think they've all done a great job translating the books into movies, and casting is just superb. (incidentally, my favorite book was #3, and that was my least favorite movie)

Vahn16
06-18-2007, 08:23 PM
If the movie is as good as the others have been (odds are, it will be), then I'll go see it on day one.

As for the games, I'm afraid the Wii version is going to be yet another bad port with PSP quality graphics and whatnot. The idea of a free roaming Hogwarts definitely excites the Harry Potter nerd in me, though.

Calorie Mate
06-19-2007, 02:43 PM
A decent Harry Potter MMO would be the best thing ever.

Ever.

sraymonds
06-19-2007, 02:53 PM
I'd prefer not to go through high school again, even if there is magic involved. And if I wanted to be a bully, there's too much of a chance of me being turned into a ferret.

Calorie Mate
06-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Look, I just want a sex minigame involving Hermione, ok?

sraymonds
06-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Look, I just want a sex minigame involving Hermione, ok?

Then why didn't you just say so? I'm on board, 100 percent!

locit
06-19-2007, 08:10 PM
If the movie is as good as the others have been (odds are, it will be), then I'll go see it on day one.

I'm with you on 1-3, but man was 4 jilted and awkward. There was hardly any explanation of vital plot points (especially priori incantatem). It was pretty good if you'd read the book, though. I don't understand how anyone that hadn't read the books could understand what was going on. I think 3 was really, really good though. It captured the feel of the books in a way 1 and 2 didn't- it lost all the stupid exposition and got to the good stuff, and what it did cut from the story tended to be parts that are better left in the books.

Sheana
06-19-2007, 09:58 PM
The fourth movie irritated me big time when it came to Voldemort and the ending.

Voldemort wasn't all that scary or imposing, and the fact that they changed the whole ending round kinda ruined it for me. You don't take out The Parting Of The Ways! That messes up the whole impact of what's going down next!

Red Hedgehog
06-20-2007, 01:05 AM
I'm with you on 1-3, but man was 4 jilted and awkward. There was hardly any explanation of vital plot points (especially priori incantatem). It was pretty good if you'd read the book, though. I don't understand how anyone that hadn't read the books could understand what was going on. I think 3 was really, really good though. It captured the feel of the books in a way 1 and 2 didn't- it lost all the stupid exposition and got to the good stuff, and what it did cut from the story tended to be parts that are better left in the books.

As someone who has only read the first Harry Potter book (and after seeing its movie), here are my opinion of the movies:

The first one was boring. It had great special effects, but it seemed it was using those to hide the fact that it wasn't doing anything interesting with the plot or characters.

I didn't see the second one because of my opinions of the first.

The third one was a solid, good movie. I went to see this because of peer pressure and positive buzz and was not disappointed. The characters felt more real. The situations were more interesting. The pacing and set up was just really nice.

The fourth one was okay. It felt like an action movie and came off as a decent one of those. The plot didn't always make sense, but it moved along briskly. The characters were simple enough and the action sequences were well done, and appropriately tense and spooky. I wish I hadn't paid full price in the theater for it, but I don't regret seeing it.

Vahn16
06-20-2007, 02:33 AM
I was disappointed with how Voldermort looked in the fourth movie (I mean, come one, he's the baddest guy in the wizarding world, and that's it?), but I had fun watching it. It wasn't terrible by any stretch of imagination. I'd like the fifth movie to be better, but I wouldn't be crushed if the quality was about the same.

sraymonds
06-20-2007, 04:17 AM
The fourth movie irritated me big time when it came to Voldemort and the ending.

Voldemort wasn't all that scary or imposing, and the fact that they changed the whole ending round kinda ruined it for me. You don't take out The Parting Of The Ways! That messes up the whole impact of what's going down next!

My memory is kind of sketchy, but how did they change the Parting of the Ways?

locit
06-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Well, they got rid of it. Pretty significant!

I'd like the fifth movie to be better, but I wouldn't be crushed if the quality was about the same.

I'm with you there, actually. I think the main disappointment for me was due to my expectations being raised by the third movie. Now I know better. And knowing, well...

Sheana
06-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah, they took out The Parting Of The Ways completely. No Sirius returning, no Cornelius Fudge fudging, nothing. Dumbledore's year-end speech was just a bit longer, Hermione went "Everything's going to change now isn't it???" as they were leaving for the train, and then the end credits rolled.

My brother and I were pretty irritated.

estragon
06-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah, they took out The Parting Of The Ways completely. No Sirius returning, no Cornelius Fudge fudging, nothing. Dumbledore's year-end speech was just a bit longer, Hermione went "Everything's going to change now isn't it???" as they were leaving for the train, and then the end credits rolled.

My brother and I were pretty irritated.

I definitely see your point, but I lost all will to complain about deletions from the books as soon as I could compare Cuaron's abridged but awesome movie 3 to Columbus' crappy but technically more accurate versions of 1 and 2.

As long as the context of movie 5 makes things more or less clear, I'm okay with this sort of cut happening.

Sheana
06-20-2007, 01:02 PM
It's one thing to abridge a book and slim it down to make a movie.

It's another to completely change an important ending that sets the tone and many of the situations of the next two books (and later movie adaptions).

sraymonds
06-20-2007, 01:09 PM
I guess the changed ending doesn't bother me as much, because I don't remember the book ending at all. Or the movie ending, for that matter. Looks like I'm going to have to watch the other movies before I see the new one.

Hee hee, Harry Potter and Leopard-Walk-Up-to-Dragon. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_Leopard-Walk-Up-to-Dragon)

TheSL
06-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Am I the only person that's apathetic about Harry Potter on a whole? The movies(of what I've seen, #1 & 3) are merely alright for someone having not read the books. There's really not a whole lot of point in reading the books now that every major plot point came up in conversations with friends/relatives/co-workers/internet* within a few weeks of each book's release. Its like I bought the strategy guide to an RPG and read the whole thing before popping the game in; I think some of the potential magic for me is already permanently lost.

*I'm not complaining about spoilers here(as I knew they were coming/already had heard them), its just ridiculous how little stays secret without some kind of social isolation.

Red Hedgehog
06-20-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm also pretty apathetic about the series. With the exception of the third movie, none of the movies were enjoyable for someone not following the series. I read the first book and found it fine, but something I would have enjoyed much more if I were 10 years old rather than 22 (when I read it). I felt no compulsion to read the subsequent books.

I'm sure many of my friends will be going to the latest Harry Potter movie and... I probably won't feel that it's worth the money.

Jeanie
06-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Am I the only person that's apathetic about Harry Potter on a whole? The movies(of what I've seen, #1 & 3) are merely alright for someone having not read the books. There's really not a whole lot of point in reading the books now that every major plot point came up in conversations with friends/relatives/co-workers/internet* within a few weeks of each book's release. Its like I bought the strategy guide to an RPG and read the whole thing before popping the game in; I think some of the potential magic for me is already permanently lost.

I think I understand you pretty well here. I've never read any of the books and only got dragged to one of the of the movies (the latest one, whichever that one is), but I already know most of the big things that happened in the story so far. Why? Because everyone won't shut up about them, so everything is kinda spoiled for me and thus I have no desire to read any of them.

It's kinda like in Star Wars Ep:1 when Darth Maul and Obi-Wan fought, you knew what was gonna happen at the end, so any suspense is virtually gone.

nadia
06-20-2007, 03:55 PM
I think the Harry Potter books have some damn clever elements to them, and the characters are interesting. Well heck, Adobe graciously sent me the novel "King's Dragon," and it's such overblown fantasy by comparison. Beautiful elf who looks down on humanity, bastard half-elf. Wheeeee. The Harry Potter movies feel like they're missing something. They don't carry the same atmosphere as the books, even though I still find them excellent.

Rowling's writing isn't perfect. I get the impression all the books beyond Azkabaan are edited badly, or not at all. Harry's all-caps rant in book five was, um, not necessary to say the least.

I do, however, appreciate the work she's done to reverse Anne McCaffrey's methodic wussifying of the dragon species.

Thinaran
06-21-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm not complaining about spoilers here(as I knew they were coming/already had heard them), its just ridiculous how little stays secret without some kind of social isolation.
Indeed. That's what I've been doing since book 5. No forums, no e-mail, no instant messaging, no news or papers, no talking to friends, no walking in public without headphones blaring, until I've read the book.

sraymonds
06-21-2007, 07:39 PM
IGN gave the latest Wii Harry Potter game a 7.8 (http://wii.ign.com/articles/798/798713p1.html)

That's a decent score, so I think I may be picking this game up instead of Transformers.

The line that sold me was when he was writing about performing spells with the Wii-mote, how they "are especially enjoyable because of the new motion controls, which is why, for once, the Wii iteration of the game really does win out over the 360 and PS3 builds, which feature superior graphics."

Vahn16
06-22-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm so buying this now. Not only that, I'm actually pretty excited. An enormous Hogwarts that I can explore at any time? That's one of the things I've always wanted more than just about anything else. Plus, I get to cast spells with something vaguely resembling a wand! Now all I need is a Harry Potter theme park.

Fun fact: This will be the first Wii game I've bought since launch. Yes, I skipped Super Paper Mario. I'm a terrible, awful, very bad person. (This doesn't count VC games).

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Hermione dies fighting against Voldemort. Hagrid gets killed by Snape. Not only that ugly email but the entire seventh book is online.

Jeanie
06-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Hermione dies fighting against Voldemort. Hagrid gets killed by Snape. Not only that ugly email but the entire seventh book is online.

Hey, SHUT UP.

If you're making a prediction then fine, but if you're spoiling then read above.

Sheana
06-22-2007, 01:37 PM
...Godammit, I have had just about enough of this.

That had better be jerkish speculation and not the actual spoilers. Having the last two HP books spoiled for me in a row will make me very pissed off.

sraymonds
06-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty dickish thing to do, but I've got my fingers crossed that it's just speculation. I'll get angry after I read the book. If I have to.

Sarcasmorator
06-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Stop being a damn troll, Gabor.

Calorie Mate
06-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Did you guys read what he typed? Of course it was a lie. Why would Snape kill Hagrid? Snape is obviously not bad, and at most he'd use his magic and simply knock him out or something.

Anyway, yeah, once the new book is in my hands, my cell phone will be off and I will not be on the computer or have my TV on until I'm done reading it.

Zef
06-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Goes without saying, but you should probably avoid the Interwebs for a while, too.

Speaking of which, how long should we wait here on Talking Time before indulging on full-on, spoiler-happy discussion? I have friends that read these things within half a day of release, but some of us have to deal with work and other such diversions at the same time...

Sheana
06-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Deep breath grumble grumble...

Probably leave this thread for Books One to Six talk, and make a new one specifically for Deatly Hollows?

locit
06-22-2007, 10:13 PM
I'd say give it a full week. After that there's no excuse: you're either not trying or you read too slow and deserve to have it spoiled for you.

...I have little tolerance for slow readers.

Thinaran
06-23-2007, 04:21 AM
Make a new one specifically for Deathly Hallows. With the biggest spoiler as the thread title.

Calorie Mate
06-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Whoever finished Deathlyfirst, star a new thread about it. This thread shall be for Books 1-6 only; no mention of Book 7, please.

Why should we wait a week? Just don't go into the Deathly Hallows thread until you're done. Oh, and obviously don't be a dick and talk about it in other topics.

katz
06-23-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm looking forward to book 7 and had it pre-ordered weeks ago. I really need to re-read book 6 though. It's the only one that I've only read once.

I think someone has already mentioned this but I believe that Neville is going to play a major roll in the last book. His roll in the books has gotten bigger and I don't think that it's unimportant that he could have been the one to fulfill the prophecy instead of Harry.

As to who dies, I'm not sure I want to think about it. I was most upset when Dumbledore died (Sirius' death didn't bother me that much, even though I really liked his character).

I'm haven't fully decided about Snape but I do lean towards him being on the good side.

alexb
06-24-2007, 12:50 AM
I've never liked Snape. I hope Harry breaks his back and steps on his face.

Thinaran
06-24-2007, 02:02 AM
I probably would have disliked Snape more if he wasn't played by Alan Rickman.

sraymonds
06-24-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm a huge nerd. I had a dream that I got a copy of the latest book before street date. I was reading and enjoying it. Then I woke up. And I couldn't get back to sleep because I was trying to figure out ways to get past the street date.

Thinaran
06-24-2007, 02:05 PM
I actually started reading HP6 three days before the street date, because I worked in a bookstore. When I heard the store would go out of business late last year, the first thing I thought about wasn't losing my job, it was that I wouldn't be able to read HP7 before everyone else.

nadia
06-24-2007, 05:03 PM
I am Snape. The Potions Master. (http://www.potterpuppetpals.com/bothering.html)

My copy of Order of the Phoenix cost practically nothing because it was a damaged copy. I fixed it with some rubber cement. I'm glad I didn't pay full price 'cause it was my least favourite HP book (didn't I mention that somewhere?).

Sheana
06-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Funny, 'cos OotP is my personal favorite of the six.

Calorie Mate
06-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm with you, Nadia. Too much angst, not enough magic.

sraymonds
06-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Parish's preview of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Wii). (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3159419&sec=PREVIEWS) Looks good. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I wonder if he had to do any research into the series before he wrote that up.
Also, I feel weird calling him Parish, because I was told that calling someone by their last name was disrespectful. But then again, I feel weird calling him Jeremy, cuz I don't know him. I'm an odd fella.

Mightyblue
06-25-2007, 03:15 PM
You should call people whatever they're comfortable with. I mostly get called by my last name except for family and close friends, since there are a lot of people with my first name, and I have no problems with it.

Maggie
06-25-2007, 03:32 PM
I had a friend who insisted on calling me by my last name, which was weird, but she's obsessed with comic books. And it always seems like someone's mad at you when they use your last name.

alexb
06-25-2007, 03:32 PM
What's the alternative? Calling him JP? Japey, maybe? You want to be called Japey? Maybe Japey J. Parish III, esquire? Yeah, I wouldn't think so. Sorry.

Sheana
06-25-2007, 03:34 PM
I've always called him Mr. Parish and Sir. 'Jeremy' would be too weird.

On a related note, there's a Parish Street not too far from where I live.

Jeanie
06-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Mr. Parish if you're nasty.

Red Hedgehog
06-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Mr. Parish if I'm being snarky.

Otherwise just Parish since I don't know him.

Calorie Mate
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Parish, since that's his user name. Duh. If I ever meet him, it'll probably be Jeremy after that, but for now...eh.

Anyway, SF Bay Area folks - where ya'll gettin' your Book 7 from? The book store I got Book 6 from closed down last week, and I'm in a bit of a panic.

sraymonds
06-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Parish, since that's his user name. Duh. If I ever meet him, it'll probably be Jeremy after that, but for now...eh.

Don't you dare bring logic into this!

I don't own any of the books, so I'm hoping they come out with a special set of all seven books. And hopefully in this set it'll be polybagged with a chromium cover and trading cards. And an arm band for those that have died.

Guy
06-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't own any of the books, so I'm hoping they come out with a special set of all seven books. And hopefully in this set it'll be polybagged with a chromium cover and trading cards. And an arm band for those that have died.

It comes in a trunk. (http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Boxset-Books-1-7/dp/0545044251/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-0112592-1941529?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182887492&sr=1-3) They're probably going for a low-profile release since it could potentially be used as a lethal weapon.

sraymonds
06-26-2007, 12:57 PM
That's...that's not bad. And bonus decorative stickers are included in each boxed set. Maybe it's time to start saving those pennies.

Calorie Mate
06-26-2007, 01:19 PM
That's...really awesome.

nadia
06-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Hmmm, I could use a homoginised collection. Canada gets the UK releases, but when I was in the States one year I bought the American version of Goblet of Fire and it looks kind of out of place on my bookshelf.

alexb
06-26-2007, 05:37 PM
You know, the UK editions really look like ass. It surprises me that the US covers are this much better.

Guy
06-26-2007, 06:13 PM
You know, the UK editions really look like ass. It surprises me that the US covers are this much better.

Oh, that's true. I visited London around the time the Half-Blood Prince came out and I had to see that horrible cover of Uglydore and Scary Potter on the side of every fucking bus I passed by.

nadia
06-26-2007, 09:56 PM

That's generally the case, but it depends which book you're referencing, IMO.

Book One: US Wins

Book Two: US Wins

Book Three: UK Wins (Buckbeak just looks way bad ass)

Book Four: UK Wins (Hungarian Horntail ftw)

Book Five: I can't decide. The UK cover is pretty boring, but Harry looks creepy on the US cover.

Book Six: I don't know what's going on with Harry and Dumbledore on the UK edition, so the US wins

Book Seven (barring any major changes): WTF's up with Hermoine's face on the UK edition?

On the other hand, the US editions automatically fail for getting rid of the British spelling. Booo!

alexb
06-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh you Commonwealth countries and your obsession with the letter U. "Oi! I'm going to leave my flat with my torch and a tin of biscuits and get in a queue to take the lift down to the kerb where a lorry sits full of old tyres and aluminium and grey coloured armour. Pip pip, cheerio, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more. Those yanks spell rather queerly, if I do say! It's rather got me bloody trousers and knickers in a twist, old chap. Harry Potter is simply bollocks when it doesn't contain three times the necessary vowels! By George! Tea time! I simply must dash! Ta!" But seriously, I love Britain and the British, even if they don't love me at the moment. Besides, everything sounds so sophisticated if it's done with a British accent, no matter how stupid it is. If you want to complain about something though, complain about the nonsensical name change to the first book. The US publisher forced a rather unnecessary name change on the first book of His Dark Materials, too.

Merus
06-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Eh, British spelling holds onto the U in everything, Americans hold onto the imperial system. (Er, of measurement.)

Also: queueueueueueueueueueueueueue is a fun word, and easily extensible.

Calorie Mate
06-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Ever see the covers from other regions of the world? They're hilarious.

sraymonds
06-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Has anyone here picked up any of those collector's editions of the books? I remember seeing one on clearence from $70 to $20, but I never picked it up. They anything fancy?

RE: Harry Potter game. It's not bad so far. I've enjoyed walking around Hogwarts, casting Stupefy on fellow students for no reason. Controls...I seem to have trouble walking, and targeting seems a little off. But I was almost late for work this morning because I was wandering around Hogwarts, so those little nitpicks aren't bugging me yet. This may be the first HP game I finish.

Sidenote: Dang, Emma Watson got hot. I remember seeing a video of her schooling Daniel Radcliffe in Prince of Persia. Marry me. Please?

Mightyblue
06-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Er...jailbait much? (Unless you're about her age, then go ahead :P)

Jeanie
06-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Re: Emma Watson

She's seventeen, so wait a year then say those things. And yes, she did grow up to be very pretty.

alexb
06-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Since when are you a pedophile for think a 17 year old girl is hot? Hell, what's the age of consent in the UK, anyway?

Nagrolol
06-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Re: Emma Watson

She's seventeen, so wait a year then say those things. And yes, she did grow up to be very pretty.

Hahaha, I've been saying "Emma Watson is hot" for the past four years.

thomp538
06-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Since when are you a pedophile for think a 17 year old girl is hot? Hell, what's the age of consent in the UK, anyway?
Well I guess it depends on how old you are.

Thinaran
06-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Sixteen. Like in most European countries.

alexb
06-28-2007, 11:47 AM
This infantalizing has gotten out of hand. 17-year-old girls are in peak condition. A couple of generations back, a 17 year old girl would already have at least one kid. My grandmother on one side was married at 15. It was not uncommon.

thomp538
06-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Hey, if she was 18 or 19 I'd still feel weird about it, but thats me, i'm old.

sraymonds
06-28-2007, 11:53 AM
But but but...Prince of Persia! Dammit, what would Guitar Wolf do?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/lsrsera/Wild_zero_527814g.jpg

Guitar Wolf: Love has no borders, nationalities, or genders!

YEA!

Thinaran
06-28-2007, 12:01 PM
We need to see this alleged Prince of Persia video.

edit: And Wild Zero is an awesome movie

Sheana
06-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Man, it's almost ludicrous how small the first three books are in comparison to the last four, hahaha. The last one looks to be the longest yet, too.

Balrog
06-28-2007, 03:17 PM
If there's grass on the field, I'll play ball.

Calorie Mate
06-28-2007, 03:33 PM
If there's no grass on the field, play in the mud.

I don't even know what that means.

sraymonds
06-28-2007, 03:37 PM
If there's no grass on the field, play in the mud.

I don't even know what that means.

Oh dang, C. Mate, you so dirty.

locit
06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
This thread has gone to a weird place.

alexb
06-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Like Diagon Alley?

sraymonds
06-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Like Diagon Alley?

Shhh...too many moogles around to be saying stuff like that.

alexb
06-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Not like they'd be able to tell anybody.

sraymonds
06-28-2007, 07:35 PM
But the moogles communicate through the darkest of all languages: interpretive dance.

Unless we're talking about the Ivalice moogles. They won't shut up.

Vahn16
06-29-2007, 12:57 AM
Muggle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muggle) and Moogle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moogle#Moogle). Which one are we actually talking about here?

sraymonds
06-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Damn. I spent the last four movies wondering why the Muggles didn't have pom-poms on their heads.

thomp538
06-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Do we prefer the cute, cottonball-like moogles from FF 3-9 or the rabbit-like ones from Ivalice?

sraymonds
06-29-2007, 11:02 AM
The cute, cottonball moogles are better for snuggling and as pets, while the rabbit-like Ivalice moogles are better as a stew.

Alastor
06-29-2007, 09:28 PM
So....

Does anyone else get tired of discussing Harry Potter with people who don't care about any aspect of the story apart from "OMG I wonder who's gonna die??????"

Not talking about this thread though, this is a great discussion. But seriously, I can hardly have an intelligent conversation with anyone face to face about HP, because of this. This applies to 24 and Lost as well, but to a far lesser extent.

Vahn16
06-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Ok, I'll give it a shot.

I'm a big fan of Harry Potter and all, but I don't typically visit Harry Potter-related websites. Thus, I don't really know much of anything about the new book. My question is: do we know if Harry is going to go to Hogwarts in this book? I was wondering because of all the "problems" Hogwarts underwent in the previous book. Would he even go to wizarding school at all in his current situation is what I'm asking. My question may be completely stupid; but hey, if it's not, then where do you think he'll end up? He's going to have to do something about that Voldermort problem.

alexb
06-29-2007, 11:12 PM
What else is there to talk about? The questions all revolve around whether Harry, Snape, and others will make it through the last book.

locit
06-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Showdown in Hogwarts. Calling it now (though somewhat just for the hell of it).

sraymonds
06-30-2007, 06:05 AM
What do you think's going to happen to Draco? He kind of deserves to be killed, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Calorie Mate
06-30-2007, 11:06 AM
So....

Does anyone else get tired of discussing Harry Potter with people who don't care about any aspect of the story apart from "OMG I wonder who's gonna die??????"

Not talking about this thread though, this is a great discussion. But seriously, I can hardly have an intelligent conversation with anyone face to face about HP, because of this. This applies to 24 and Lost as well, but to a far lesser extent.

It's true, it can get a tad tiresome, but at this point I think it's a huge deal because we've grown to love so many of these characters that we're afraid of losing them.

I've got two theories: either Harry becomes the permanent Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, or (if the thing about his scar being a Horcrux is true) he'll lose his magic altogether and be a squib. That would be just terrible enough for Rowling to do.

EDIT: I honestly can't figure out what'll happen to Draco. He won't be killed, but...not sure what he will do. Maybe he'll do something good in the end?

Vahn16
06-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Draco seems like the perfect character to redeem himself by dying to save someone else. In other words, he's going to sacrifice himself.

Sheana
06-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Judging by that scene where he got caught sobbing in the bathroom, I think he'll definitely do something. I dunno if he'll sacrifice himself or just die, but he'll do something.

I've absolutely no idea what's gonna happen with Snape and I'm very curious about that. Though I guess most everybody is, hah.

Any thoughts on the significance of the phoenix at Dumbledore's funeral? I don't think that was Fawkes, if I'm remembering it correctly.

sraymonds
06-30-2007, 09:29 PM
I'll be happy as long as Draco DIES. The racist little shit.

I was at Borders this evening, and I saw two books about Snape. A Pro-Snape and Anti-Snape book. I rolled the eyes. I wonder what other crazy things are going to be coming out now that we're so close to the end.

Calorie Mate
06-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Judging by that scene where he got caught sobbing in the bathroom, I think he'll definitely do something. I dunno if he'll sacrifice himself or just die, but he'll do something.

I've absolutely no idea what's gonna happen with Snape and I'm very curious about that. Though I guess most everybody is, hah.

Any thoughts on the significance of the phoenix at Dumbledore's funeral? I don't think that was Fawkes, if I'm remembering it correctly.

I thought that was Fawkes? I just reread it, and I didn't catch anything to indicate otherwise.

Sheana
07-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Nuts, it's been a while, and I've probably been influenced by fanstuff that keeps popping up. Thought withdrawn!

Lessee. Will Lupin survive the book/get accepted by society despite being a werewolf/whatever?

Calorie Mate
07-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I hope so, I love Lupin! That silver hand Wormtail's got has been bothering me, though...if Lupin's killed by that loser, I will throw the book across the room.

Zef
07-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I dunno, I have the nagging feeling that Wormtail won't forget his debt to Harry (from way back in Prisoner where Harry saved his life from Sirius and Lupin.) And Wormtail's just the kind of character to turn on his master at a pivotal point, so... who knows? If his silver hand plays a, uh, hand in the proceedings, I'm thinking it'll be used on Fenrir, not Lupin.

Calorie Mate
07-01-2007, 03:09 PM
I just worry that things like Wormtail and Draco "doing something good in the end" would be a bit too cliche.

nadia
07-01-2007, 03:35 PM
I just worry that things like Wormtail and Draco "doing something good in the end" would be a bit too cliche.

She has a few flaws, but I really have a lot of faith in Rowling as a writer. If this happened, I would be so disappointed.

Draco is bad. B-A-D. He borders on boring because he's so one sided (at least his activities have been a little more intriguing since HBP). There is no reason for him to turn and say "My gosh, I've seen the light!" and no matter how good she is, Rowling won't give me a convincing one within one book.

Guy
07-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Wormtail probably will, since they made such a bug deal about how Harry saved him in Prisoner of Azkaban and that Wormtail owed him one.

Calorie Mate
07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I agree, Nadia. There's no way she - or anyone, I think - could pull it off, and I doubt she'd try.

sraymonds
07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
And Wormtail's just the kind of character to turn on his master at a pivotal point, so... who knows? If his silver hand plays a, uh, hand in the proceedings, I'm thinking it'll be used on Fenrir, not Lupin.

I had completely forgotten about the silver hand, and when I first read about it, all I thought was, that's weird. I didn't think about the werewolves.

And here's hoping the Ministry of Magic actually does some good this time around.

Alastor
07-02-2007, 05:10 AM
I don't know about that. At the end of HBP, I was left feeling that the new minister is going to make life very difficult for Harry, as if he doesn't have enough on his plate already.

I'm gonna reference what someone said in another topic about Surf's Up. I've been hearing LOTS of people who are dead set in the belief that Neville will kill Bellatrix Lestrange. This, to me, is bullocks not to mention far too Hollywood for JKR to stoop down to. Neville is a clumsy adolescent who got his 15 minutes of fame as an underdog in OotP. Bellatrix is a highly talented an extremely dangerous witch (she even escaped Dumbledore). I simply can't see Neville bumble along, and then suddenly pull off a spectacular feat, overpowering Bellatrix. If anything, I'm guessing he will try to do just that, in order to avenge his parents, but be cruelly struck down.

sraymonds
07-02-2007, 07:35 AM
I think Neville will get some measure of vengeance against Bellatrix.

19 days. So excited.

Sheana
07-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Didn't JKR once say that one of the students would grow up to be a professor at Hogwarts? My money's on Neville becoming Herbology professor eventually.

Calorie Mate
07-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Harry as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Bank on it.