PDA

View Full Version : The Great Transformation

shivam
06-03-2007, 12:21 AM
by Karen Armstrong

This book is fantastic, if you're into the history of religion like i am. It covers the Axial Age of human development, around the ninth century BC, when the world's major religious thoughts started to emerge and shift from pantheonic sky gods and fickle nature deities to more personal, nebulous images of godhood, and the concept of the golden rule. The book traces the parallel rise of early judaism, greek secular philosophy, confucian thought in china, and the evolution of vedic thought into vedantic hinduism and atheistic buddhism.

I'm a huge fan of these types of books, because they provide historical context and rich detail to our existing religious traditions, without taking the secular high ground. (i mean, lets be honest here. even atheists think that Dawkins is a tool.) For me personally, i just love seeing how hindu thought evolves through the ages, and passes down through the various schools of thoughts, until it becomes something like what i believe today.

Great read, totally worth it.

mr_bungle700
06-03-2007, 01:24 AM
This sounds like something I'd be interested in reading. Thanks for bringing it up.