PDA

View Full Version : Filming Begins on Hellboy 2

VsRobot
06-14-2007, 11:29 PM
This is great news, as for a while it looked as if this film would never be made. I believe in del Toro. After all, he's given us the fabulous first Hellboy movie, the only good Blade movie, the first and only good Mimic movie, Cronos, Devil's Backback, Pan's Labyrinth.. the man can do no wrong.

Sequels to superhero movies often defy conventional wisdom by being better than their predecessors, probably because all the heavy lifting of establishing the characters is already done.

Maggie
06-14-2007, 11:42 PM
I didn't like the first Hellboy that much, but since it was del Toro, I'm still glad I saw it because it definitely had some neat things to see.

I'll go see this one, too, I'm sure. And then spend lots of time daydreaming about At the Mountains of Madness.

Makkara
06-14-2007, 11:47 PM
I might have liked the Hellboy movie if I hadn't read the comics first, but I guess we'll never know.

Chu
06-15-2007, 12:25 AM
I thought the first Hellboy movie was kinda neat, but now that I've heard Boney M's disco song I'll never be able to keep a straight face whenever Rasputin shows up.

locit
06-15-2007, 12:33 AM
I iiked the first one despite its flaws. What I really want, though, is another episode of the Amazing Screw-On Head!

Vahn16
06-15-2007, 12:52 AM
I don't think anyone ever picked it up after the pilot, so you'll probably never see that.

Guy
06-15-2007, 01:45 AM
I loved Hellboy, but I wish del Toro hadn't gotten it into his head that we needed a human main character. We can relate to Hellboy just fine; his human side is his best quality. I can't fathom how anyone who ever saw the movie could have possibly cared about John Meyers at all.

sraymonds
06-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Hellboy 2 needs to make insane amounts of money, so del Toro can finally get At the Mountains of Madness off the ground.

Thinaran
06-15-2007, 04:41 AM
I might have liked the Hellboy movie if I hadn't read the comics first, but I guess we'll never know.
Huh. I thought I might have liked it more if I had read the comics first.

Makkara
06-15-2007, 05:18 AM
Nah, the movie pretty much ruins Hellboy's personality. In the comics, he's intelligent, (mostly) level headed and grown-up. He fights monsters and Nazis almost as much with his brain as with his brawn.

In the movie, he's a wisecracking goon with the maturity of an adolescent. He's the guy they call in when they want someone's ass kicked, rather than a paranormal investigator in his own right. I might have gotten into it, if I didn't already know and prefer the Hellboy from the comics.

Kupek
06-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Anyone but Ron Perlman, and they would have needed face prosthetics. When watching Hellboy, I keep having to remind myself that's actually his face.

VsRobot
06-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I loved Hellboy, but I wish del Toro hadn't gotten it into his head that we needed a human main character. We can relate to Hellboy just fine; his human side is his best quality. I can't fathom how anyone who ever saw the movie could have possibly cared about John Meyers at all.

No John Meyers in Hellboy 2.

Thinaran
06-15-2007, 01:03 PM
At the Mountains of Madness.
Tell me more.

shivam
06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
i thought the first hellboy was kinda boring.

locit
06-15-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't think anyone ever picked it up after the pilot, so you'll probably never see that.

(cries self to sleep)

VsRobot
06-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Tell me more.

del Toro wants to make a movie version of At the Mountains of Madness. Getting the funding is a problem. del Toro is a huge Lovecraft fan - and Hellboy had some very Lovecraftian moments.

sraymonds
06-16-2007, 09:04 AM
From what I've heard, del Toro's script for Mountains was superb. This could be a Lovecraft film done right, and if you follow Lovecraft stuff, you'll know there's a lot of crap adaptations of his works.

I would kill so that At the Mountains of Madness and Sherlock Holmes and the Vengeance of Dracula be made. Give me names, and it will be done.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm a Hellboy whore so this is awesome.

Personally though of all the awesome unproduced Del Toro scripts out there, his Western Count Of Monte Cristo is the one I want to see.

VsRobot
06-17-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm a Hellboy whore so this is awesome.

Personally though of all the awesome unproduced Del Toro scripts out there, his Western Count Of Monte Cristo is the one I want to see.

Is there a place to read this stuff?

Evil Dead Junkie
06-18-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't think so, Del Toro just talks about them often.

Nicholai
06-18-2007, 01:06 PM
del Toro wants to make a movie version of At the Mountains of Madness. Getting the funding is a problem. del Toro is a huge Lovecraft fan - and Hellboy had some very Lovecraftian moments.

The Lovecraftian moments of Hellboy were the best touches. The movie just didn't work for me as I enjoy the comic Hellboy and, as has been pointed out, the movie and comic characters are quite dissimilar.

juanfrugalj
06-18-2007, 05:12 PM
While I enjoyed some bits of the movie, I thought the human guy was a bit too generic and pretty much useless.

Still, it was so much better than most stuff around, particularly the superhero flicks released in the past two years.