PDA

View Full Version : do you like podcasts?

shivam
06-15-2007, 02:03 PM
What do you listen to? (spun off from the i miss retronauts thread)

Aside from the 1up network, I also listen to the PC Gamer podcast, my own Dragonlance Canticle podcast, and this awesome thing i discovered called Coverville, where the dude plays a forty minute long show three times a week filled with cover songs, generally linked thematically. it's pretty awesome.

Jakanden
06-15-2007, 02:19 PM
I listen to about 40 different ones covering the range from Tech to Politics to Gaming. Many of them are weekly but not all.

As far as gaming, all of the gaming ones I listen to are industry people. 1up Network, Gamespot, Player One Podcast, Major Nelson, and the Kojima Podcast.

I know there are tons of other great ones, but I don't feel like listening to non-stop podcasts all day every day so I keep it down.

I am looking for a good short (30 to 45 min or so) weekly movie news podcast though.

locit
06-15-2007, 03:42 PM
1up Yours, Retronauts, Sega Nerdcast.

Squall
06-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Pretty much just retronaughts, but I did listen to that one GFW podcast and enjoyed it. Still, it looks like a friend and I will be using our extensive broadcast radio experience and doing one of our own.

Okay, so he's the one with extensive radio experience, I just do board operations and have produced one show. Woo.

poetfox
06-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Are we listing? I can write a list. *pulls up her podcatcher...*

I listen to...
TMBG Podcast: Yay for songdoodles!
This American Life
The Onion Radio News
How to Succeed in Evil: He super-rarely updates, but it's a pretty awesome story, and if he ever does get it into a graphic novel like he wants, I'll buy it.
Cranky Geeks: I dunno why, but I can't listen to enough John C. Dvorak.
Diggnation
Penny Arcade Podcast: Awesome stuff, when they actually do it. It's just intriguing to listen to them create what they create.
TWiT: See comment before about Dvorak. Him and Leo are just fun to listen to together.
Security Now!: Learning about the compy I spend all day on...
120 Minutes of Jick and Mr. Skullhead: It's like a podcast feed of the MP3 versions of the KoL radio shows that someone is doing... which is nice, because I don't like downloading them by hand...
Jack Mangan's Deadpan: Deadpan is the way. Also, I keep writing stupid Cinquains for the show and he keeps playing them.
Pseudopod and Escape Pod: Pseudo for Horror short stories, Escape Pod for SF.
Major Nelson
I Should Be Writing and Geek Fu Action Grip: I heart Mur Lafferty.
1up Yours
Alpha Rant: I don't even read their comic, and yet I find their complaining about EVERYTHING constantly entertaining.
Wingin' It: Hours and hours of inside jokes that only make sense if you've listened to all the other episodes.
And, finally, Retronauts.
I also have half of this New Zealand Radio Play called Claybourne that I haven't finished listening to yet, but is over. It was back from like 1999 or something, so I found some of the stuff sorta humorous. "The internet? What's the internet? Maybe this has something to do with the internet?" Also, there is like... a token American. But it's pretty decent, and was actually played on the radio and stuff, so it has good sound effects and shit... I dunno if that counts as a podcast anymore, since it's done. It was at one time a weekly thing.

I'll shut up now.

shivam
06-15-2007, 04:42 PM
you play KoL? =)

poetfox
06-15-2007, 04:43 PM
The mention on Retronauts got me to try it, and I've been playing it OBSESSIVELY ever since. Like, to the point that my friends tell me to stop trying to bring it up in casual conversation. I love it to death.

JCDenton
06-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Though I sometimes download Retronauts sometimes, I generally find I don't listen to podcasts. Too difficult to pay attention to them and do something else at the same time. Maybe I'm just not good at multitasking, or the lack of visual stimuli cannot keep me interested. My loss.

JCDenton
06-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Whoops, my bad.

Also, I agree. lol

sraymonds
06-15-2007, 07:07 PM
What's KoL?

As of right now, I listen to 1up Yours, EGM Live, Retronauts, GFW (though I skip Whiskey Nerd), Joystiq, and various podcasts about haunted places or ghost stories.

Always on the lookout for more though!

poetfox
06-15-2007, 07:18 PM
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! But not especially podcast-related.

VsRobot
06-15-2007, 09:09 PM
1up Yours
1up Show (video)
1up- Retronauts
1up-Retronauts Bonus Stage (video)
1up-Sports Game Guy's Sports Anomaly
Bill Maher's New Rules
Cagcast
Cranky Geek MP3 Audio
Diggnation (mp3)
Downloadable Content - The Penny Arcade Podcast
EGM Live*
ESPN Radio - Soccernet Extra
ESPN - Around the Horn
ESPN - PTI
Football Weekly on Guardian Unlimited (Soccer)
Game Theory
GDC Radio
GFW Radio
Insomniac Games' Full Moon Show
Joystiq
Legendary Thread
O2 Arsenal Podcast (Soccer)
Player One Podcast
Real Time with Bill Maher
The Tony Kornheiser Show
This American Life
This Week in Tech

And I'm always looking for more.

reibeatall
06-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Ohh man, KoL is so addicting.

tungwene
06-16-2007, 10:35 PM
They might be giants podcast
Irish and Celtic music podcast
Renaissance festival podcast

Vahn16
06-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I listen to every 1up podcast except for Sports Anomaly (I just don't like sports games) and the Player One podcast. I also listen to Penny Arcade's podcast every once and a while, but not every time there's a new one. I guess I enjoy Gabe and Tycho more in text than in podcast form.

philliam
06-18-2007, 08:26 PM
The Ricky Gervais Show

Jakanden
06-19-2007, 03:48 AM
VsRobot, why do you listen to both "New Rules" and the "Real Time" podcasts? The new rules are always in the Real Time podcast anyway. Just curious :)

VsRobot
06-19-2007, 04:15 PM
VsRobot, why do you listen to both "New Rules" and the "Real Time" podcasts? The new rules are always in the Real Time podcast anyway. Just curious :)

I think the New Rules podcast is from rehearsal, because it has different jokes sometimes.

Jakanden
06-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I didn't realize that. I will have to check it out when the new season starts.

Calorie Mate
07-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Wise fwum yo gwave!

So I've been listening to the daily 1up Yours podcasts this week for E3, and I've found the workday goes by much more quickly when I listen to podcasts...so I need some recommendations. Aside from the 1up Network and Kojima Productions, I have zero experience with podcasts. Is there, like, a website with a universal listing / hopefully reviews of podcasts? Thanks.

ringworm
07-13-2007, 03:29 PM
In addition to the 1up network podcasts lately I've been listening to the Daily Affirmation podcast done by Scott Kurtz (PvP) and Kris Straub (Starslip Crisis). Its very frequently hilarious, even if Kurtz's webcomic work is mostly bland.

I also listen to This American Life podcast. Everyone should.

Jakanden
07-13-2007, 04:18 PM
In addition to the 1up network podcasts lately I've been listening to the Daily Affirmation podcast done by Scott Kurtz (PvP) and Kris Straub (Starslip Crisis). Its very frequently hilarious, even if Kurtz's webcomic work is mostly bland.

I also listen to This American Life podcast. Everyone should.

I had listened to their Power Hour podcast and found it kinda boring. Is the Daily Affirmation any better?

Squall
07-14-2007, 12:05 AM
I went back to that Games for Windows podcast last night for some unkown reason, and it turns out they have the best E3 coverage I've seen to date. Straight and to the point. Episode 1: The big 3 conferences. Episode 2: The games of the show. They even talk about Nights being awesome!

shivam
07-14-2007, 12:11 AM
all of the ziff podcasts are the same during e3 week.

Squall
07-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Aha! That would be why it seemed so out of place in a, you know, Games for Windows context. Still, way better than reading the horrible mess that is gaming sites.

ringworm
07-14-2007, 08:59 AM
I had listened to their Power Hour podcast and found it kinda boring. Is the Daily Affirmation any better?
Night and day, man.

Merus
07-15-2007, 04:43 AM
I can't listen to Kurtz for too long when he starts doing his 'hilarious' reverse prank calls.

I stopped listening to TWiT as well at some point - I kind of got sick of the Web 2.0 rahrah, although frankly I probably should expect that from a podcast.

I've been listening to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and I've really enjoyed that, despite not being American. It kind of helps that I read Fark as well so I know the answers half the time.

philliam
07-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Also, I enjoy the Mega64 podcast.

VsRobot
07-16-2007, 07:18 AM
I'd listen to Philliam's podcast.

Jakanden
07-16-2007, 08:07 AM
I stopped listening to TWiT as well at some point - I kind of got sick of the Web 2.0 rahrah, although frankly I probably should expect that from a podcast.

Yeah I stopped listening about 6 months ago. All I wanted was tech news and it was nothing but web 2.0 BS and fanboy arguments. I listen to CNET's Daily News podcast (http://news.com.com/News.com+daily+podcast/2030-11424_3-5845846.html) now which is only about 10 minutes a day and just plain news.

Night and day, man.

I might have to check it out then.

poetfox
07-16-2007, 09:32 AM
I concur.

As far as the TWiT thing goes, I still listen, but it's more because John C. Dvorak (dvorak.org/blog) entertains me. I don't really know why, perse. I don't necessarily agree with him most of the time. Sort of a... "Oh John! What won't you say?" kinda thing. I also enjoy listening to how he thinks his stories suck on his own show as well. It's good times.

Calorie Mate
07-16-2007, 10:42 AM

Same here. Give the people what they want, philliam!

Oh God his voice must be terrifying.

Merus
07-16-2007, 07:06 PM
so i herd u liek podcasts

sraymonds
07-17-2007, 05:59 AM
I find myself listening more to podcasts than to the music I have on my iPod. Current podcast flava: Have Games, Will Travel.

Calorie Mate
07-17-2007, 10:43 AM
What's that?

sraymonds
07-17-2007, 11:25 AM
It's a podcast with news and reviews about tabletop gaming. Board games, card games, and pen-and-paper RPGs. If you're down with this, the host, Paul Tevis, seems to have a good head on his shoulders when he talks about this stuff. Granted, I've only listened to about 5 out of 97 podcasts, so it could take a turn for the worse.

Calorie Mate
07-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Ah, so boring stuff. Gotcha.

ScrambledGregs
07-17-2007, 06:04 PM
I listen to Retronauts obsessively. To the point where I re-listen to the episodes more than three times. I also started the "I miss retronauts" thread on the games board.

I also listen to the Hardcore Gaming podcast, which started recently and is quite good even if the games are pretty obscure.

Oh, and Penny Arcade's rare podcast. It turns out that they sound nothing like I thought, but are just as funny in real time as they are in comics.

sraymonds
07-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Ah, so boring stuff. Gotcha.

Oh, also on the podcast. YOUR MOM.

Peach
07-17-2007, 09:23 PM
If you like anime, you should check out the Anime World Order podcast. It's hosted by three hardcore fans with taste, humor, trivia, and respect for vintage titles. The stuff they talk about ranges from Ergo Proxy to Legend Of The Overfiend.

It's sort of the anime equivalent of Retronauts. Sort of.

VsRobot
07-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Legend Of The Overfiend.

Pervert.

philliam
07-17-2007, 11:54 PM

seriously? i've been thinking of doing one but what the hell would i say or do? i wanted to do a thing like the Mike Nelson's rifftrax but instead of movies i do animes

Merus
07-18-2007, 12:06 AM
seriously? i've been thinking of doing one but what the hell would i say or do? i wanted to do a thing like the Mike Nelson's rifftrax but instead of movies i do animes
Do other people's podcasts.

ScrambledGregs
07-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Do other people

Tee hee hee hee!!

shivam
07-26-2007, 05:10 PM
www.yolala.org
french rap podcast in english, hosted by a dude with a wonderfully thick accent.

VsRobot
07-26-2007, 07:02 PM

Do like Tobias and carry around a tape recorder and tape everything you say all day. Then put in on the internet.

mode7
07-26-2007, 07:54 PM
retronauts is the only one am subscribed to

bobservo
07-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I listen to all of the 1up podcasts but the sports and Warcraft ones, as well as the Player One Podcast. I recently started listening to 1up Yours, and I enjoy that except for Garnet Lee. He reminds me of an assembly speaker at a grade school who was given a slang dictionary ahead of time so he can sound "cool" for the kids. I can almost see him turning his chair backwards and asking me to have a "rap session."

Torgo
07-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Incidentally, he has indeed stated on the show that he wanted to do a rapping intro, only to be smacked down by his cohorts and the posters at the 1up boards.

But that's all part of what makes Garnet so entertaining.

VsRobot
07-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Garnett sometimes comes like he's trying too hard - he's also prone to making sweeping generalizations about a game's quality without putting enough time into a game to be able to back up his claims. He's frequently misinformed, and he tends to get overly excited when something catches his fancy.

In short, I completely identify with him. He's what I would be like if I worked at 1up. I like him lots - but I wish that there wasn't so much alcohol consumption during the podcast, because it can really affect the quality of the conversation.

bobservo
07-28-2007, 10:43 PM
In short, I completely identify with him. He's what I would be like if I worked at 1up. I like him lots - but I wish that there wasn't so much alcohol consumption during the podcast, because it can really affect the quality of the conversation.

You know, I (stupidly) never took the alcohol thing into account when thinking about Garnet on 1up Yours. Because sometimes, after he says something, I think, "Garnet, you don't know what words mean, do you?" His sobriety must be why I found him to be much more tolerable on Retronauts.