PDA

View Full Version : FC10: Super Mario Galaxy (Grand Galaxies 1-3)

Parish
11-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey kids, I hear tell some of you are picking this up today. Let's talking.

Super Mario Galaxy
Nintendo | Wii | Platformer | Nov. 2007

Talk about the first three grand galaxies here! Highlight things you suspect might be spoilery. Use that common sense thing.

reibeatall
11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
The first time you take that path and it makes you go upside down in the first level was pretty strange. It makes it seem like you're about to walk to your death, but nope, you're good.

And then the musical notes that make the SMB3 music when you pick them up just made me smile.

Re: Queen Bee

She's so... fuzzy. Like, I haven't seen anything so fuzzy since Sully from Monster's Inc. It just made me go "awwwwwwwww".

That's about all I've got until I get the game.

Spikey
11-12-2007, 03:10 PM
If you appreciate classic Mario music you'll be in for a pleasant surprise when you reach the Sweet Sweet Galaxy.

Octopus Prime
11-12-2007, 03:28 PM
DAMMIT PARISH! You contemptable shrew!

I don't have the game yet so I can't speak of it. Odds are that I'll get my mitts on it tomorrow though, and then the 360 will be turned off for the first time in weeks.

VsRobot
11-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I just got home with my copy.

I played about an hour into it on the demo station at work so I know what to expect. I can't wait to dive in more fully, though.

Parish
11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
..."shrew"?

Octopus Prime
11-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Dude, I just throw together the first vaguely insulting name I can think of.

Plan B was "Spunky Harlot". Might save that one for later though.

Sprite
11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
New Longform Sunshine-esque obstacle course levels = JOY

I died a ton in Sweet Sweet Galaxy and loved it. I've only reached the second Grand Galaxy, and I want to be surprised by everything, so I doubt I'll participate in Fun Club until I get past those points. So, enjoy, I guess.

Rosencrantz
11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Man, they really did piece together the best parts of Mario 64 and Sunshine to make this game. Also, I love how the game controls exactly how you think it does. Like, I never find Mario doing something stupid or wrong, because the game just works so well. It's amazing.

SamuelMarston
11-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm at a loss for words.

I almost feel overwhelmed by the game, like a child in Disneyland for the first time. I hardly know where to go or what to do first. I'm still seeing planetoids off in the distance and wistfully thinking about flinging myself there.

Daydreamer
11-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Finishing off the first Dome now, and I'm wondering - is it ever difficult or tedious locating the launch star that takes you towards your current mission objective in the Galaxies with multiple stars? So far its been fairly easy and obvious, but I'n worried that its just the usual early Mario hand hold.

TheSL
11-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Kansas City doesn't believe in midnight launches or having high-profile games in stock on ship date instead of release date, so I don't get to start playing until tomorrow. :(

Parish
11-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Finishing off the first Dome now, and I'm wondering - is it ever difficult or tedious locating the launch star that takes you towards your current mission objective in the Galaxies with multiple stars? So far its been fairly easy and obvious, but I'n worried that its just the usual early Mario hand hold.
No, every different star you select has a slightly different layout for the opening planet, so it nudges you in the right direction every time. The only ones you have to hunt for are the secret stars, but... they're secrets, so duh.

gamin
11-12-2007, 09:56 PM
This game makes me feel like a child. Everything feels new and wonderful, despite the fact that it's largely a child of Mario 64 and Sunshine. Maybe part of it is the heavy nostalgia factor in referencing many previous games, especially SMB3, since Mario was my childhood.

In looking at screenshots and videos it seemed like the camera shifts and the upside down views would be hard to control and that the camera might become trouble. Now that I'm actually playing it it feels natural and right. No 3D Mario game has had such a perfect camera. Only a handful of times have I ever felt the need to pull it behind Mario or fuss with it. The control is basically the same as Sunshine, only easier and seemingly more forgiving. The physics are very fun, especially for the smaller planets. I triple jumped off a small rock in the Bumblebee stage and plummeted hundreds of feet down to the main area, only to take no damage (not sure if its because I did the butt stomp before landing or if high falls really cause damage anymore). That was amazingly fun, and I might have to visit the stage and try it again.

I'm almost done with the first Grand Galaxy, have not yet tried the boss stage. Sweet Sweet Galaxy was a ton of fun, as was the yellow blocks stage; it's great to see a return of the Sunshine-esque platforming stages.

Tomm Guycot
11-12-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm having trouble deciding if I should clean out every single level of stars before moving on, or if I should just speed through the game and then backtrack to savor every delicious world.

What would you recommend, Parish?

Other notes:

1) Like Parish said in his review, the first Bowser fight is the final battle from any other platformer.

2) Sweet Sweet Galaxy is what my dreams look like.

3) I don't know about you guys, but my favorite 3D Mario move is the long jump (run, Z, jump). They give you a LOT more control over it in this game, so I'm digging on that.

Calorie Mate
11-12-2007, 11:01 PM
This game makes me feel like a child. Everything feels new and wonderful, despite the fact that it's largely a child of Mario 64 and Sunshine. Maybe part of it is the heavy nostalgia factor in referencing many previous games, especially SMB3, since Mario was my childhood.

I agree with this so hard.

Whoever it was that first said this game is to Mario 64 what Mario 3 was to Mario 1 was right on the money.

Calorie Mate
11-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm having trouble deciding if I should clean out every single level of stars before moving on, or if I should just speed through the game and then backtrack to savor every delicious world.

What would you recommend, Calorie Mate?

Clear 'em out before moving on. I mean, you're not going to put the game down until you have every last Star anyway; pace yourself.

reibeatall
11-12-2007, 11:08 PM
I found myself getting all the stars from the first Grand Galaxy, then in the second one, I got all of them on the levels I played, but as soon as I could, I opened the boss stage then went straight to the third Grand Galaxy.

Parish
11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
What would you recommend, Parish?
Whatever makes you happy? I started out dabbling in every new galaxy, but after a while I found that I focused better by tackling a few consecutive Stars from a single galaxy. By the time I beat the game, I hadn't even visited a couple of the galaxies -- which was fine, because it was more incentive to keep going.

Niku
11-13-2007, 01:28 AM
I knew I was completely in love with this game when the orchestral main music track of Galaxy was sweeping up while I flitted through the stars. It's just a great mood setting piece.

estragon
11-13-2007, 03:41 AM
I've been savoring this thing since I got it (I'm scared for it to end!), and I have also been debating about whether to clear out galaxies before moving on.

I was doing that at first, but things open up so quickly in the hub that I started accumulating a huge amount of places I hadn't gone to yet. And, it started to feel a bit like work to force myself into a predetermined order rather than just doing whatever I wanted.

Since then, I've been mixing it up a lot more. I agree with Parish that it's easier to get them all if you focus on one stage at a time, but I think it's more fun to go back and forth.

EDIT: The stage for the secret star in the Phantom Galaxy = fun. The way it sort of melts in and out of existence is amazing. Everyone, find this stage!

Also, sweet jesus I love this game. It's so beautifully dreamlike, and the controls are fantastic. It's the most pure fun I've had with a game in a long, long time.

Also, while Bee Suit got a lot more attention, I think Boo Mario is loads of fun.

Sprite
11-13-2007, 08:40 AM
I was leaning forward on the couch in our living room completely engrossed in Sweet Sweet Galaxy when my roommate got home and cracked "geez, you're a kid again." So, I guess the game is a success. I can't think of any game that made me smile this much since the first Katamari Damacy.

One question, though. Are there 100 coin stars? Because I always hated those.

Maigo
11-13-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm at a loss for words.

I almost feel overwhelmed by the game, like a child in Disneyland for the first time. I hardly know where to go or what to do first. I'm still seeing planetoids off in the distance and wistfully thinking about flinging myself there.
This game makes me feel like a child. Everything feels new and wonderful...
2) Sweet Sweet Galaxy is what my dreams look like.
I've been savoring this thing since I got it (I'm scared for it to end!,...

Also, sweet jesus I love this game. It's so beautifully dreamlike, and the controls are fantastic. It's the most pure fun I've had with a game in a long, long time.

You people have me in a quiet personal frenzy. I can't leave work fast enough today. This level of anticipation is rare for me. It's Pokemon-level.

...but I have to wonder. Will it all be fun and games until it each level starts taking 10+ dead Marios to pass? That's always my Mario experience.

Parish
11-13-2007, 09:47 AM
One question, though. Are there 100 coin stars? Because I always hated those.
Yes :(

Tomm Guycot
11-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes :(

But not in every level, right?

reibeatall
11-13-2007, 10:08 AM
If I heard EGM Live correctly, it's every level.

Ben1842
11-13-2007, 10:10 AM
I can't help but notice how this game has effected my XBL friends list. It's a ghost town now.

Parish
11-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Every multi-star galaxy has a 100-purple-coin star. Sorry! That's one of my main complaints about the game -- Mario fans have made it clear they don't like coin collecting, but here it is yet again.

Maigo
11-13-2007, 11:27 AM
I think you people need to talk about Super Mario Galaxy and give me something to read while at work. Why aren't you talking about this? It'd be really nice if you'd talk more about this. Ok?

k, so again... how fun is it?

http://spamusement.com/gfx/4.gif
Me.

Maigo
11-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Nobody posted yet.

TheSL
11-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Nobody posted yet.

I'm in the same boat as you, anxiously looking at the clock and wishing work for the day was done so I could be playing Mario.

Tomm Guycot
11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
WTF is a purple coin? That doesn't sound so bad if it's some kind of special deal.

It's the gold coins that are impossible to come by.

Rosencrantz
11-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I didn't think I would, but I'm finding that I really enjoy the Comet effects. It feels really good to beat a boss without getting hit, especially when I had trouble fighting him the first time with SIX health points. The speedrun stages are pretty fun so far, too.

ShakeWell
11-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh, man, I've only got two stars so far, but I'm so fucking enamored with this game it's crazy.

Also, I was very happy to read that when you get all 120 stars you can play as Luigi! Vindication at long last! Whoo-hoo!

I would also like to point out that I could see this game causing motion sickness to those with a predispostion towards it.

Sprite
11-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Every multi-star galaxy has a 100-purple-coin star. Sorry! That's one of my main complaints about the game -- Mario fans have made it clear they don't like coin collecting, but here it is yet again.

Wait, are the coins purple, or the star?

Ugh, I may just have to resort to GameFAQs to figure out the best star to find 100 coins.

mopinks
11-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I have the game and I am GIDDY.

I have to admit, when they first let me run around on that little world catching bunnies, I got really disoriented really quickly, but after playing around for thirty minutes or so WALKING UPSIDE-DOWN ON THE BOTTOM OF PLANETS feels completely natural. what the hell?

my girlfriend was watching me play and was consistently amazed and/or really really dizzy.

alexb
11-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Q. How do you know your wife is a true convert to gaming?

A. When she shakes you awake because today is the day Mario comes out and she's sick of waiting for you.

I went to Toys R Us to get this because of the $25 gift card. I got the little coin with it, too. It's a nice tchotchke for the collection, I suppose. But the interesting part of it was that some guy who reminded me strongly of Captain Linebeck checked me out. Sorta rude, bags under his eyes, patchy beard, dull brown hair. Kinda strange.

Jeanie
11-13-2007, 05:24 PM
So I bought the game today and I've beaten the first Bowser Jr. battle. I went into the game pretty cold, having never played a demo of it, and man, I love this game.

I must admit everytime I end up running upside down on something, I keep thinking "the enemy's gate is down".

Octopus Prime
11-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Just cleared all the levels in Good Egg Galaxy and Holy Hannah, I am loving this game.

I was very close to giggling girlishly as I did so.

SlimJimm
11-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Heh nice picture Maigo.

Im just about to fight the second Bowser battle, but I just want to say that my favorite place so far was the Space Junk Galaxy. I like walking around smaller planetoids more than a traditional platforming level like the Honeyhive level. The Pull Star mini maze was neat, and I hope for a larger one later.
Also I LOVED the music for Space Junk SOOOO MUCH!

arkfullofsorrow
11-13-2007, 06:59 PM

I wouldn't mind 100 coin fetch quests if there were like 170 reasonably obtained coins (and no, defeating slowly regenerating enemies and taking their coins doesn't exactly count). However, getting 100 coins when there are only 103 in the entire stage is, uhhh, no.

But man, I'm gonna be falling behind on this one like a sonofabitch as various life circumstances prevent me from playing this game until Wednesday night at the earliest, and I won't really be able to sink my teeth into it for like another week or two.

SamuelMarston
11-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Wait, are the coins purple, or the star?

Ugh, I may just have to resort to GameFAQs to figure out the best star to find 100 coins.

This is my question... are there purple coins that I haven't seen yet? Is the star purple?

The Giant Head
11-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I just picked this up today and played the first two galaxies. I think I'm going to try to get all of the stars in each galaxy and then move on, though I'll see how long that lasts before I get bored and jump around.

The game is already a ton of fun, but I need to work on my depth perception or something. I'm always getting hit by things that I think are too far away, and missing things that I try to hit, and are nowhere near me.

There are already a ton of cool new concepts being shown even from the beginning, like flying around from planet to planet, and reversing gravity in cool ways. I'm hoping the game introduces a lot of cool stuff throughout, and is not just trying to wow me at the beginning.

I can't wait to play it some more, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Niku
11-13-2007, 07:25 PM
PURPLE COIN PRIMER

Minor spoiler: You unlock the Purple Comet by beating the game.

While some of the galaxies have the traditional 100 coin hunt, many of them do not. The ones that do are the worst stars in the game: exactly 100 purple coins spawn around the galaxy, and collecting all of them will give you the star. LUCKILY, in general, the coins are confined to one large section of the stage rather than being spread across the entire galaxy. Still obnoxious.

However there are also many little challenge purple coin stars which are much more fun. Don't really want to give anything away, but these generally involve you being timed and collecting 100 coins from around 150 coins spread across the level as quickly as you can.

admozan
11-13-2007, 08:50 PM
In a word: amazing. I've just dabbled a bit in the first galaxy, but I'm having a blast with this game. Having never beaten Mario Sunshine, I've played quite a bit of it in the past couple of days. The difference in control and fun factor is like night and day.

Sprite
11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Minor spoiler for purple coin quests: Okay, so apparantely you can't do any purple coin stars until after you beat the main game. So for those who like to dawdle around and take their time before beating the game... be warned that you'll have a ton of subsequent 100 coin quests waiting for you. As for me, I'll probably beat the game with as few stars as necessary, then try to get 100 coin stars out of the way every five stars or so.

ringworm
11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Ay Dios Mio! This game was crafted out of pure joy.

I was moderately nonplussed at the beginning, but having only played through the first galaxy and doing the first Bowser Jr. fight I've gotten the hang of it and have had so many awesome experiences already. I wish I had taken tomorrow off work.

Schmidt
11-13-2007, 10:52 PM
What's the deal with prankster comets? Will every normal galaxy have a prankster comet star? Will they all have just one?

Brickroad
11-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Wow.

I cleared the Terrace and most of the Fountain, and that gave me enough stars to finish off the boss level in the Kitchen and open up the Bedroom. This game is absolutely fantastic.

Sweet Sweet Galaxy was like a love letter written to my inner child in glow-in-the-dark pink crayons with all the Is dotted with little hearts.

I hope this game takes a long, long time to clear.

Tomm Guycot
11-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Shakewell, you spoiled the 120 star bonus. That really should have gone in the "Endgames" thread, man. Any spoilers here should be for world 3, at the latest.

No hard feelings.

I will kill you where you sleep.

TheSL
11-14-2007, 04:47 AM
Shakewell, you spoiled the 120 star bonus.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo themselves spoiled it like 2-3 weeks ago.

Octopus Prime
11-14-2007, 05:44 AM
Now come on people. We could sit here all day and argue who spoiled what but then we'd be missing out on the important things.

Like the fact that I am no damn good at Ray Surfing and therefor will not get that Star.

SlimJimm
11-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Much like the Giant Head I also seem to have some problems with my depth perception. About half the time when I mean to get close and spin into a goomba or something I end up spinning in the empty air right next to it.. and then it hits me back for being so dumb.

Also said problem happens a hell of a lot more often when I am upside down on a planetoid.

And in no way has this game made me love underwater stages. For some reason I just cant swim well, and when I try to get something in the middle of the water (like a coin or star piece) I end up swimming around it for a few seconds, helpless in my despair.

Nizz
11-14-2007, 06:56 AM
This game's unbelievable.

So I found Luigi in the Egg Galaxy, now there is another greyed out shape next to the stars on the map screen. For the egg galaxy it's between the 3rd regular star and the Luigi star. What is this and what does it mean?

TheSL
11-14-2007, 07:09 AM
So I found Luigi in the Egg Galaxy, now there is another greyed out shape next to the stars on the map screen. For the egg galaxy it's between the 3rd regular star and the Luigi star. What is this and what does it mean?

If its got a trail coming off the star its the one you get for entering the stage while a prankster star is in effect. Otherwise, I've got no clue.

Nizz
11-14-2007, 07:26 AM
That must be what it is, I don't think I went back to the Terrace after prankster stars came out before I found Luigi so I never noticed them.

reibeatall
11-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Boo-ombs are one of the best ideas Nintendo has ever had.

Maigo
11-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Incapable of adding to this community's praise without coming off as the spazmatic 8 year old I am, I quoted you (http://maigo.1up.com). Like, all of you.

I'm not even a Mario fan.

Brickroad
11-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I quoted you (http://maigo.1up.com). Like, all of you.

No problem, invoice is in the mail.

Sporophyte
11-14-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm 24 stars in and I love this game. Sweet Sweet Galaxy truly is the stuff dreams are made of. Also I love the little things, like the fact that if you jump on and kill 8 enemies in a row you start getting 1ups with every bounce. I can't wait to get back to playing more.

Tomm Guycot
11-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm 24 stars in and I love this game. Sweet Sweet Galaxy truly is the stuff dreams are made of. Also I love the little things, like the fact that if you jump on and kill 8 enemies in a row you start getting 1ups with every bounce. I can't wait to get back to playing more.

How the HELL did you do that!?

Kishi
11-14-2007, 10:08 AM
There's a certain planetoid in Battlerock with Goombas crawling all over it. I haven't done it, but that's the first place I'd go if I were to try.

Parish
11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I was wondering about that. I never pulled off eight but the little indicators (sound, I guess) seemed to be suggesting that if I kept smooshing bad guys I'd get some good. Not that you really need 1UPs in this game... every time I stop playing after a 2-hour session I'd have something like 50 lives in reserve.

Jeanie
11-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Also I love the little things, like the fact that if you jump on and kill 8 enemies in a row you start getting 1ups with every bounce. I can't wait to get back to playing more.

Sir, you a Mario among men and I salute you.

I'm into the Kitchen now and I can not stop smiling everytime I play this game. Everything from how great that Bowser stage was, to Sweet-Sweet Galaxy, or the idea of the Prankster Comets, I absolutely love this game.

Anyone else laugh at how when Mario dies from being electrocuted, it leaves behind a little Mario skeleton. Man, that sounds more twisted now that I've read it.

ShakeWell
11-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Shakewell, you spoiled the 120 star bonus. That really should have gone in the "Endgames" thread, man. Any spoilers here should be for world 3, at the latest.

No hard feelings.

I will kill you where you sleep.

Yeah... Sorry about that. I kinda didn't realize there were multiple threads. Please don't kill me, I'm buying your new game today.

Brickroad
11-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Anyone else laugh at how when Mario dies from being electrocuted, it leaves behind a little Mario skeleton. Man, that sounds more twisted now that I've read it.

Rated E for Everyone.

Sporophyte
11-14-2007, 12:33 PM
There's a certain planetoid in Battlerock with Goombas crawling all over it. I haven't done it, but that's the first place I'd go if I were to try.

That is exactly where I did it. I had just happened to do four in a row there and saw the kill counter start up, so then it became a challenge to do as many as I could to see what would happen. I managed 11 in a row. You would never need to actually do that trick because 1ups are quite plentiful, but it's awesome that it is there all the same.

mopinks
11-14-2007, 12:45 PM
that pull-star race against Boo Skywalker was full of HEART-PUMPING EXCITEMENT.

I do kind of miss Mario 64/Sunshine's sense of aimless exploration, but I've certainly got nothing against tightly-constructed awesome challenges. this is some mad variety!

reibeatall
11-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Holy shit.

I get home from school today, and I've got Wii mail.

THE MAILTOAD SENT ME A MESSAGE SAYING THAT LUIGI WAS MISSING.

That was so awesome.

Octopus Prime
11-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Oh man, that first real boss was so damn awesome. I'm having a hard time imagining how the rest of the game can rival what I've seen so far.

And Mario is a "NewBee". That made me snicker.

Sprite
11-14-2007, 01:49 PM

I didn't know that, and am going to murder Mario with electricity the first chance I get.

admozan
11-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Does anyone else hit the mute button when selecting the Wii Disc channel? I don't really need Charles Martinet to shrilly scream SUPER MARIO GALAXY every time I want to play, thanks.

ChelseaQ
11-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I was a little dismayed when the game seemed easy, but then I thought about it and remembered that I was only in like galaxy 2 or something like that and I figured that it would get harder. It seems like it is definitely getting harder which makes me happy.

Schmidt
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Does anyone else hit the mute button when selecting the Wii Disc channel? I don't really need Charles Martinet to shrilly scream SUPER MARIO GALAXY every time I want to play, thanks.
Yeah. I pretty much hate that.

Kishi
11-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Despite Charles Martinet being, you know, American, many of his intonations as Mario are so weird as to be mistakable for Engrish. In particular, his unprovoked "Yes!" upon arriving at a galaxy reminds me of nothing so much as a certain other character's infamous "Okay! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=7Ze-xQoEfOU)"

Of course, nothing will ever top "Thank you so much for to playing my game (http://www.sca.ch/mario/marioe3.wav)."

Shadax
11-14-2007, 10:03 PM
So I seem to be incapable of finishing the job when it comes to the boss of the first grand galaxy: (spoilered to be safe)
After you get rid of the dome, I can't seem to actually time the second part right to get the job done. I know what to do, I just suck too much to do it.

Parish
11-14-2007, 10:28 PM
If you time it right, you can get several bullets to follow you at once. The first will break the fence, the second will break open the Star. The trick is to lure the ones shooting upward rather than the ones shooting outward.

ringworm
11-14-2007, 10:34 PM
I did it another way, I did a backflip right before the gate which caused the bullet that was following me to go straight up in the air and then come straight back down on the star case. I was really impressed with myself.

Shadax
11-15-2007, 08:40 AM
spoilers

I actually tried a combination of these two strategies, and nailed it the first time. Thanks guys!

Maigo
11-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Has it been said yet? Flying around in the bee costume feels exactly like flying in dreams -- complete with sputtering fly-power.

Spikey
11-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Has anybody else noticed that there are two different models of Goomba? I wonder why that is.

Kishi
11-15-2007, 02:26 PM
The smaller Goombas you can kill just by spinning. The bigger ones either need a stomp or a spin-stun-bump.

Has it been said yet? Flying around in the bee costume feels exactly like flying in dreams -- complete with sputtering fly-power.

You don't have very good flying dreams, do you?

Daydreamer
11-15-2007, 03:08 PM
I have to admit, as much as the first Bowser Jr. and Bowser fights rocked my world, the second Bowser Jr. fight left me cold.

Spoiler:
It was essentially a repeat of the fight against the super-Magi-Koopa, only with more projectiles. The stage was a nice hail to SMB3 boss stages though.

reibeatall
11-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Guys, I seriously need help.

Where the hell is the third Luigi star? It looks like it's in HoneyHive, but I've looked everywhere and I can't freaking find him.

Spikey
11-15-2007, 03:50 PM
He's there. Keep looking.

Daydreamer
11-15-2007, 04:09 PM
He's there. Keep looking.

Spoilers: Remember the bridge you had to hit a switch to make appear for the Tower star? He's in a tree near that.

reibeatall
11-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Somebody must have photoshopped that damn picture. But I found him.

Jeanie
11-16-2007, 09:55 AM
Boo-ombs are one of the best ideas Nintendo has ever had.

Word. And Bouldergheist was the best non-Bowser fight ever.

Tomm Guycot
11-16-2007, 11:14 AM

How is that I can beat Challenge Mode in Contra 4 but I can't Daredevil Star Bouldergheist? :(

Sprite
11-16-2007, 11:16 AM

Anyone do the Daredevil Comet against Bouldergheist yet? Best 10 lives I ever spent.

I think this game delivers all around on bosses. THERE ARE SO MANY. For every boss that's a little too easy and pedestrian there's one that's somewhat difficult and displays some truly original ideas, like Bouldergheist.

Parish
11-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Yeah, actually I managed to Daredevil Bouldergheist in just two lives. Likewise the spinny top dude, though that one was by sheer chutzpah -- a split second later and I'd have died horribly to one of his minions. Earning a Daredevil star is probably the most adrenaline-pumping thing you can do in this game.

reibeatall
11-16-2007, 11:25 AM
I never got hit by the spinny top guy, either on the daredevil or the normal run. I couldn't figure out how he attacked, because it seemed like I had run into his spinning blades of death and I would only get knocked back.

Calorie Mate
11-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah, actually I managed to Daredevil Bouldergheist in just two lives. Likewise the spinny top dude, though that one was by sheer chutzpah -- a split second later and I'd have died horribly to one of his minions. Earning a Daredevil star is probably the most adrenaline-pumping thing you can do in this game.

This is my experience exactly. Two lives, no more. It DOES get your heart racing, though. Fun times.

Sprite
11-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Now I feel bad at Mario. Or, at least, at Bouldergheist. No other Daredevils have taken more than two lives thus far.

I have not encountered this "spinny top guy," I think. Can't wait to see it.

Jeanie
11-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Anyone do the Daredevil Comet against Bouldergheist yet? Best 10 lives I ever spent.

I think this game delivers all around on bosses. THERE ARE SO MANY. For every boss that's a little too easy and pedestrian there's one that's somewhat difficult and displays some truly original ideas, like Bouldergheist.

I did it, took me three or four tries, one because i couldn't spin the Boo-mb into him and it blew up on me.

ringworm
11-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Yeah I think Daredevil on Bouldergeist took me about 10 tries too, one little thing would always go wrong. I love that shit.

alexb
11-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Has anyone else said anything about the Mailtoad junking up the Wii's inbox with stupid messages about Luigi being missing? I'm getting sick of it. It's an extremely questionable design decision. Once is cute, but I'm getting tired of the Wii screaming for my attention to tell me about something that happens repeatedly in a video game.

reibeatall
11-16-2007, 05:48 PM
On the point of Mailtoad, it sure is nice of Bowser to allow Peach to use the mail system to get letters and gifts out.

alexb
11-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Who's taking the pictures of Luigi, and why won't they help him? Who's writing the letter to ask for help?

The Giant Head
11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
I like how one time Luigi was stuck on a roof. On a one-story house. After he grabbed the star, Mario probably had to put Luigi on his back and go back down the pipe that he used to get up there in the first place.

Schmidt
11-16-2007, 10:19 PM
I just got to Bouldergeist, regular style. I couldn't figure out what you ladies were complaining about as I landed hit #3 untouched, and then he got hands. Aiyeeeeeeeee!

He actually killed me dead, and this is regular non-daredevil mode.

But here's the shocking twist:

I killed him untouched on my second attempt. So I don't think I'll have much trouble with the daredevil version, although there is still some dumb luck involved.

And did you guys know you can shoot the rocks he throws at you while they're hovering, and get your boo-bomb earlier by shooting the black ones? That helped, and wasn't obvious. I did it by accident sorta the first time.

Also, grabbing two boo-bombs going at once and smacking him in rapid succession is about as badass as a plumber will ever feel.

Sami
11-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Err, I'm having trouble with the first Bowser battle. The battle starts, but then he flies up, and then into space, heading for the big red planet/stardust in the background, until he's just a tiny speck. Meanwhile, Mario is stuck on that little planet and the game just keeps running, and moving Mario makes the camera confused when it's trying to follow both Mario and the tiny speck in the vast distance. I guess the tiny planetoid's gravity couldn't hold Bowser's mass.

So, Bowser is banished into the vastness of space. Did I win the game?

edit: didn't manage to replicate Bowser vanishing, guess I didn't win the game yet after all...

and VsRobot, we were already on that tiny planetoid, then Bowser took flight... all the way into outer space.

VsRobot
11-17-2007, 06:59 AM
So, Bowser is banished into the vastness of space. Did I win the game?

You are supposed to follow him, like, automagically. Restart the level and see if it works!

estragon
11-17-2007, 07:07 AM
This is my experience exactly. Two lives, no more. It DOES get your heart racing, though. Fun times.

It took me three.

Now I feel like a failure.

Jeanie
11-17-2007, 07:42 AM
I like how one time Luigi was stuck on a roof. On a one-story house. After he grabbed the star, Mario probably had to put Luigi on his back and go back down the pipe that he used to get up there in the first place.

Think that's bad? Luigi just told me that he's exhausted and is going to take a break. Exhausted after 3 stars... Way to man up there Luigi, you get tired after three stars, meanwhile I've gotten 40-some-odd stars, INCLUDING YOUR THREE BECAUSE YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF A TREE BECAUSE YOU'RE SCARED OF A BUG! No wonder Mario always gets the princess and you get his sloppy seconds (Daisy).

estragon
11-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Think that's bad? Luigi just told me that he's exhausted and is going to take a break. Exhausted after 3 stars... Way to man up there Luigi, you get tired after three stars, meanwhile I've gotten 40-some-odd stars, INCLUDING YOUR THREE BECAUSE YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF A TREE BECAUSE YOU'RE SCARED OF A BUG! No wonder Mario always gets the princess and you get his sloppy seconds (Daisy).

The continued wussification of Luigi is distressing.

Brickroad
11-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Hey, hey. He took out an entire mansion worth of ghosts, as I recall.

Calorie Mate
11-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Hey, hey. He took out an entire mansion worth of ghosts, as I recall.

Mario's done that several times (SMW, Mario 64, Sunshine, and now Galaxy). Luigi did it...hm, once. :(

GUYS: My best friend, currently studying something or other in Costa Rica and has almost no access to phone or internet, somehow called me this morning and the first question out of his mouth was, "Dude, is Mario Galaxy really that good?" Fun times.

ShakeWell
11-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Beach Bowl Spoiler: Ice Mario was the coolest (no pun intended) fucking thing ever. I hope for more suits/power-ups I wasn't previously aware of.

ringworm
11-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I personally find it hilarious.

Man, ice skating is the best. I'm so glad I had no knowledge of that before going in. Starting to skate after the first spin attack was the best surprise ever.

mopinks
11-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I personally find it hilarious.

seconded!
Luigi wouldn't be my favorite Smash Bros. character if not for his pink outfit and dreaded sissy slapfight attack.

Jeanie
11-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Rolling Green Galaxy ... GAHH!!

*head explodes*

I managed to beat this (thankfully) one star galaxy despite the fact that when I held the Remote perfectly straight at a 90 degree angle, Mario would roll towards the camera. Also this was the one level where Goombas were truly deadly as I would hit one, bounce up in the air, and go sailing over the edge of the board. But I did like how the music would speed up and down to match my speed.

Many Marios gave their lives to bring me that Star.

ShakeWell
11-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Rolling Green Galaxy ... GAHH!!

*head explodes*

Agreed, but I way hate the Sling Pod Galaxy way more. Fuck you, Sling Pod Galaxy. Fuck you in the ear. Fo' reals.

Also, I'm about to finish the third Grand Galaxy, and I haven't had a game over. Has anyone else?

Sami
11-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Just finished the third one, no game overs, not even close. My partial OCD cries for my collected 1ups every time I restart the game even when I always make more. We'll see if those five lives are going to make things difficult in the last stages.

I beat Bouldergeist on the first try both times, normal and Daredevil. Guise, you need to keep moving.

Sling Pod Galaxy, whoah... got 999 bits there thanks to the last section. Don't like sling pods at all, their aiming is inaccurate. Yet playing with the catch stars is fun, so overall Rolling Green was more frustrating, eventually I just decided to stop collecting coins and bits and go straight for the star.

Brickroad
11-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Sling Pod Galaxy, whoah... got 999 bits there thanks to the last section. Don't like sling pods at all, their aiming is inaccurate. Yet playing with the catch stars is fun, so overall Rolling Green was more frustrating, eventually I just decided to stop collecting coins and bits and go straight for the star.

I think I had 500 or so bits by the time I finally finished that level. It is pretty nuts. It's probably the worst star in the game, since whether or not you hit your mark seems to be a total crapshoot.

mopinks
11-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I thought Sling Pod was super fun, and I only lost one Mario in the process of conquering it.

Rolling Green was another matter entirely. :< but still fun!

Sprite
11-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Rolling Green in one Mario. Y'all just need to play some Monkey Ball.

Octopus Prime
11-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Rolling Green and Sling Pod were nightmares, but I got them. I've learned to fear those "?" Galaxies.

However, I beat the Eel one in one go.

Makkara
11-17-2007, 06:24 PM
I thought Rolling Green Galaxy was pretty easy. The only reason I lost a life is that I decided to collect every coin, including the ones inside the goombas, and I got careless.

Calorie Mate
11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
The secret to rolling is as follows:

1. Use both hands on the Wii Remote
2. Hit A and jump on the Goombas; then you won't bounce
3. ???
4. Profit!

widdershins
11-18-2007, 03:11 AM
Rolling Green and Sling Pod were nightmares, but I got them. I've learned to fear those "?" Galaxies.

Oddly, my wife, who tends to need me on controller two for a lot of the levels I breezed through, got through both of these in one shot. I was not as lucky, but I didn't have too much trouble.

SPOILER: The damn bone-fish-eel thing is slowly killing me, however.

sraymonds
11-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Man, the music is wonderful.

Crested Penguin
11-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Okay, all you guys are way ahead of me, I just unlocked the second grand galaxy. I like how this game presents a variety of difficulties - most of the bosses so far have been pushovers, but Sweet Sweet Galaxy (with SMB3 music!) and the manta racing bit were deceptively hard.

Makkara
11-18-2007, 12:40 PM
I beat the manta race on my first try, with about 25 seconds to spare. I don't understand how it could be considered difficult. Sweet Sweet Galaxy killed me plenty of times, though, and I loved every second of it.

le geek
11-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Just picked it up yesterday so I'm late to the party...

I beat the manta race on my first try, with about 25 seconds to spare. I don't understand how it could be considered difficult. Sweet Sweet Galaxy killed me plenty of times, though, and I loved every second of it.

I fell a couple of times on the ray surfing before I got it, but yeah Sweet Sweet Galaxy promptly smacked me over and over, which is good since I was worried the game was getting a little too easy.

All in all I am enjoying the game, but am not sure it's GOTY material quite yet. (Maybe it's just 360 envy, since I covet BioShock...)

mopinks
11-18-2007, 02:42 PM
I totally got Sweet Sweet Galaxy on my first try, so I feel like a champ now!

Crested Penguin
11-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Apparently I'm a terrible manta surfer... :(

ringworm
11-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Maybe it's just 360 envy, since I covet BioShock...
Man, 360 wasn't even the best platform Bioshock was on...also Bioshock is overrated.

Calorie Mate
11-18-2007, 08:07 PM
It seems, at least to me, that people are coming off their Bioshock high and realizing it wasn't as good as they initially made it out to be.

Excitemike
11-18-2007, 11:24 PM
It seems, at least to me, that people are coming off their Bioshock high and realizing it wasn't as good as they initially made it out to be.

Have I mentioned I traded in my copy of Bioshock towards Galaxy (and Contra 4, natch) over the weekend?

Coming in late, everyone has repeatedly said what I have. The game is bliss. If this is a video game, what have I been playing all this time?

Anyone playing with a significant other or sibling riding shotgun? My girlfriend asked me twice if I wanted to play yesterday. The separate but not equal co-op was a stroke of genius.

So, uh, anyone else think Mario sounds strange when he puts together more than three syllables? Mario sounds... old.

Jeanie
11-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Anyone playing with a significant other or sibling riding shot gun? My girlfriend asked me twice if I wanted to play yesterday. The separate but not equal co-op was a stroke of genius.

Yeah my friend was over Saturday and he rode shotgun for me. Had some pretty cool moments when in (I think) Matter Splatter when two Magi-Koopas teleported in and we each shot one at the same time allowing me to take both out easily. Also he kept shooting the Lumas in the hub, and one time he thought he was shooting at Luigi, when it was me shooting at him at he same time and he was aiming at a way different part of the screen. One those weird things that's really funny in person.

Anyone else really enjoy harassing the Toad Brigade and Luigi by jumping on them, shooting them, and spinning them. Do it to Luigi enough and he cowers when you get close.

Sprite
11-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Anyone playing with a significant other or sibling riding shotgun? My girlfriend asked me twice if I wanted to play yesterday. The separate but not equal co-op was a stroke of genius.

I call this "little brother mode," and I think it's one of the better ideas that only seems to have come about on Wii games. Now I want someone to make a Duck Amuck-esque game with one player as a character vs. an omnipotent second player.

Calorie Mate
11-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Alternatively, my best friend wanted to try out 2 player, and we kept switching around, but whoever rode shotgun quickly became bored. Might be fun for wives and casual friends, but put two gamers together and it didn't work out. Which, I mean, I know that's not what it was designed for, but still.

Tomm Guycot
11-19-2007, 12:17 AM
My wife helped me out today in the snow area not covered in this thread's jurisdiction where the pointer can erase snow and you have to run fast to catch something.

I don't think I could have beaten that w/out her. Running upside down through snow is kinda tough.

widdershins
11-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah, my wife and I have been helping each other out a lot in our respective saves. I don't know that I'd call it boring -- it makes for a great way to take a break but still "play" the game.

The best part about the co-op is getting to play with my stepdaughter. She's 6, and is completely unlike I was at her age; she loves games, but will not play anything where she might lose. Helping me out is right up her alley, and it's fun to share that with her.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm amused that when Boo Skywalker beats you in a race, you lose a life. I imagine him viciously murdering you, as the payment for an unspoken life-wager made at the start.

But then, I may just be a raving sociopath. Cheers.

le geek
11-19-2007, 07:45 AM

Could be. It's easy for me to think i'll love a game after playing it for 5-10 minutes (or a few hours), only to readjust my opinion after finishing it (see Psychonauts, Suikoden V.) Also I'm just now on the 2nd Galaxy...

Sprite
11-19-2007, 11:50 AM
On a completely unrelated note, I'm amused that when Boo Skywalker beats you in a race, you lose a life. I imagine him viciously murdering you, as the payment for an unspoken life-wager made at the start.

But then, I may just be a raving sociopath. Cheers.

There are a few stars like this, when a character basically says "I'm very disappointed in you" and Mario keels over from the shame of it all.

Parish
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
There are a few stars like this, when a character basically says "I'm very disappointed in you" and Mario keels over from the shame of it all.
Yeah, that happened to me when I got 99 purple coins on Battlerock. The guy was like, "I feel for you, dude." Then Mario died.

widdershins
11-20-2007, 02:06 PM
They really can't be held accountable for taking your life.

Bust a deal, face the wheel.

Sprite
11-20-2007, 05:38 PM
They really can't be held accountable for taking your life.

Bust a deal, face the wheel.

I blame Mario for his emotional inability to deal with failure. Appearantely the only way to cope is to kill himself in order to go back in time and...

Holy crap, what am I doing?

The-Bavis
11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
I was very sleepy last night, but had to get in one star before I crashed for the night. When running towards the kitchen, I wondered what would happen if you fell off the side in the observatory/hub world. Lucky for me, I was more tired than I realized because I soon found myself falling off the edge. To my surprise, Mario is quickly encased in a protective bubble and brought back to land. It's pretty cool. Give it a shot!

ArugulaZ
11-22-2007, 08:14 AM
In before the lock! Oh wait, that's on Sunday...

I bought the game after trading in a buttload of old Playstation 2 and GameCube titles, along with BioShock (which got a little too creepy for my tastes). I can't wait to play it, but that won't happen until Friday, as I'm spending Thanksgiving at my parents' house. However, I can sit down and read the manual, and soak in the glory of the four golden coins I was given under the table by a GameStop employee.

Tomm Guycot
11-22-2007, 10:24 AM
However, I can sit down and read the manual, and soak in the glory of the four golden coins I was given under the table by a GameStop employee.

They're silver.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what actually happened.

le geek
11-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Okay, I'm in galaxy 3 and this game is pretty awesome... I love that the bowser stage music is from SM64.

Sami
11-22-2007, 03:42 PM
I blame Mario for his emotional inability to deal with failure. Appearantely the only way to cope is to kill himself in order to go back in time and...

Holy crap, what am I doing?

Something awesome. Keep going.

ArugulaZ
11-22-2007, 08:38 PM
They're silver.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what actually happened.

Silver with a little bit of gold on the front. I guess I was trying to make a reference to that Game Boy Mario game, except those were six golden coins. Whoops!

tungwene
11-24-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm almost done with the second galaxy though I'm kinda stumped by what to do during the Bowser boss fight. Nothing seems obvious to me.

So I went back and picked up a few extra stars from earlier levels. The first hidden star I got was the Yoshi's Unexpected Experience star which was a real treat. Sweet Sweet Galaxy was pretty sweet. It was painful but at the same time I enjoyed every minute of it. Such a simple concept yet so fun.

The only time the camera has gotten on my nerves is the Space Junk speedrun. There's one part where you land on a rocket and have to pull yourself up onto three blue balls with stars in the middle but moving just a little too far shifts those ball/stars out of your window and you have to run around a few times to find them again. That was pretty annoying.

I'd like to say I can't remember the last time a game kept me up this late but I can't because I know the answer is Persona 3.

Thinaran
11-24-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm almost done with the second galaxy though I'm kinda stumped by what to do during the Bowser boss fight. Nothing seems obvious to me.
You've played Mario 3, right?

edit: oh yeah, I haven't written in this thread yet. Got the game three days ago, and I've got 27 stars. As with Mario 64, I'm still struggling a bit with the controls. Mario takes about two seconds of running to build up momentum, and it's killed me several times because I've jumped too short. Getting the hang of it, though. And narrow walkways are also harrowing for me, especially when I can't move the camera behind Mario. I keep pressing the stick a bit too hard, then having to quickly adjust ... and about a third of the time I end up falling off.

Also, Calories: Thanks for the two-handed tip on Rolling Green. Beat it on the second try!

tungwene
11-24-2007, 08:24 AM
I've racked up 21 stars at this point. My boyfriend's the one riding shotgun with me. He likes making me jump whenever he feels like it so I actually get more done when I'm playing alone. I just love the music in Rolling Green and how it speeds up and slows down depending on how fast you're rolling. I decided to call it a night at Sticky Galaxy (don't remember exact name) after I kept missing the first platform because my aim was getting off.

You've played Mario 3, right?Parts of it, yes. I never owned an NES or All Stars so I never got to play it to completion.

Sprite
11-24-2007, 10:47 AM

Here's how: See how he filled the planet with magma? When he tries to jump on top of you, lead him to the glass panels. It might take a couple tries but you'll get the hang of it. He'll hurt himself, and start running, and you'll have to do more, but I'm sure you can figure the rest out.

tungwene
11-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Here's how: See how he filled the planet with magma? When he tries to jump on top of you, lead him to the glass panels. It might take a couple tries but you'll get the hang of it. He'll hurt himself, and start running, and you'll have to do more, but I'm sure you can figure the rest out.Yeah, I figured it out. I just had to sleep on it. Last night he hadn't hit any of the blue panels so I couldn't figure out how to hurt or distract him.

Ghost Mario is really fun. I like how the other ghosts chase you around with hearts over their head.

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-24-2007, 03:26 PM
The amount of frustration I've had at this game makes a 9.5 seem warranted. It's still an excellent game, though, one of the most fun I've ever played. My moods lately have been "down" and "Galaxy." But there are a few bits I don't like:

1) Ray surfing. Might be more tolerable, except the way that the game seems to insist holding the remote in a near-unnatural sort of way. I had Nadia do that part for me. Would it seriously have been too much to have walls? Eventually, it gets to a point that the ray won't even align with the track for me. And there's still that other Ray Surfing part...

2) Someone here mentioned a problem with swimming controls. Maybe it's just my being used to the other games, but I have the same problem at crucial times, and it's caused me some grief, mostly in the later stages.

3) Damn camera. 95% or more of the time, it's great as it is. But then there's the odd time when you really, REALLY want and need to adjust it, and the damn game won't let you. Just a tad bothersome.

4) I'm not a big fan of Sweet Sweet Galaxy. Then again, Red and I didn't like the FLUDDless stages of Sunshine much, either (I love the Bowser stages in Super Mario 64 far more). It's less the holes that are a problem than the stupid electric fences that are there, particularly the ones you have to jump over while jumping holes and platforms.

5) Can't remember if this is in the first three Grand Galaxies or not, but the Fire Flower ought to last longer, and I wish aiming was a little easier. But it's fun while it lasts.

But in the grander scheme of things, the game is still fantastic. I love the music, the graphics, the entrances to the stages with Mario flying in... I know it seems like I'm down on the game, but I could probably triple or more the length of this post with the stuff I love over the stuff that bugs me.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Makkara
11-24-2007, 04:18 PM
2) Someone here mentioned a problem with swimming controls. Maybe it's just my being used to the other games, but I have the same problem at crucial times, and it's caused me some grief, mostly in the later stages.

3) Damn camera. 95% or more of the time, it's great as it is. But then there's the odd time when you really, REALLY want and need to adjust it, and the damn game won't let you. Just a tad bothersome.

These two combined are a problem for me. The way you move under water is by aiming Mario and applying thrust. When Mario is facing toward the screen, or any way except directly ahead, it's difficult to gauge where he'll end up. What it boils down to is that the controls under water aren't relative to the camera. I didn't have the same problem in Mario 64, and I think it's because the camera stayed behind Mario, unlike in Mario Galaxy.

LBD_Nytetrayn
11-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good assessment. Mario turns around, and you're all like "huh, what?"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

ArugulaZ
11-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Damn, I hate racing segments in Mario games. DAMN, I hate them! I slip-slided my way off the ice mountain too many times to count in Super Mario 64, and the ray surfing is just as vexatious in Super Mario Galaxy. Who thought it was a good idea to put a twisting, turning river in the middle of the sky, without so much as a single guard rail to keep you from falling to your death? Whoever it was, they need to be kicked, and hard, and square in the nuts. Attention, Nintendo... these racing segments are NOT fun, nor have they ever BEEN fun. Get it through your spongy skulls and stop torturing us with them!

Makkara
11-26-2007, 01:46 AM
I thought the ray racing was fun. I also beat it easily on my first try. The trick is to let go of the speed-up button in tight turns.

Tavir
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Just started this game a few days ago over Thanksgiving break. On first playthrough (about 6 stars), I was like "this is a good Mario game, but it seems like the perspective is going take a lot to get used to and the level design and pacing seems kinda awkward." Cut to next playthrough, and I can't put the damn thing down. Amazing game, through and through, and I can't wait to see what else the game has to offer.

And on the topic of prankster comets, Fast-Foe Comet on the Beach Bowl Galaxy? Possibly one of the wildest and most frantic and fun times I've had with a Mario game. It wasn't even that difficult, but I lost far more lives than a respectable Mario player should have. Awesome.

mopinks
11-26-2007, 02:49 PM
And on the topic of prankster comets, Fast-Foe Comet on the Beach Bowl Galaxy? Possibly one of the wildest and most frantic and fun times I've had with a Mario game. It wasn't even that difficult, but I lost far more lives than a respectable Mario player should have. Awesome.

that was one of the last stars I picked up, and it was indeed pretty intense. it's extra fun/terrifying if you make your own shortcuts with the long jump!

Sven
11-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Who thought it was a good idea to put a twisting, turning river in the middle of the sky, without so much as a single guard rail to keep you from falling to your death?

Every Mario Kart course designer since forever. That thing felt a LOT like the Cube Rainbow Road, come to think of it.