PDA

View Full Version : Yasunori Mitsuda

bobservo
06-16-2007, 09:14 AM
In reading Parish's recent Chrono Trigger updates, I've been thinking a lot about that master composer, Yasunori Mitsuda. He exploded onto the VG music scene with that particular game, and since then he's had a successful career (though some may say his career petered out lately). Here's a list of games/project he composed soundtracks for (either complete or partial):

Chrono Trigger Original Sound Version (1995) (with Nobuo Uematsu and Noriko Matsueda)
Front Mission Series: Gun Hazard Sound Track (1996) (with Nobuo Uematsu, Junya Nakano, and Masashi Hamauzu)
Radical Dreamers (1996)
Tobal No. 1 Original Soundtrack (1996) (with Masashi Hamauzu, Junya Nakano, Yasuhiro Kawami, Kenji Ito, Noriko Matsueda, Ryuji Sasai, and Yoko Shimomura)
Xenogears Original Soundtrack (1998)
Mario Party (1998)
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack (1999)
Chrono Cross Original Soundtrack (1999)
Shadow Hearts Original Soundtracks plus1 (2001)
an cinni¨int (soundtrack to Tsugunai: Atonement) (2001)
Legaia Duel Saga Original Soundtrack (2002)
Sailing to the World (soundtrack for The Seventh Seal) (2002)
Xenosaga Original Soundtrack (2002)
Shadow Hearts II Original Soundtracks (2003)
Hako no Niwa (soundtrack for Graffiti Kingdom) (2004)
Deep Labyrinth (2006)
Luminous Arc Original Soundtracks (2007)
Armodyne (2007)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2007)

There's no denying that he's great, or that Chrono Cross is the pinnacle of his work. I'm also pretty sure that he's responsible for the wave of Celtic-inspired RPG soundtracks, due mostly to his work on Xenogears. But I get the feeling that he hasn't really been relevant to the game music industry since his work on Xenosaga: Episode One. Since that soundtrack, he's mainly done smaller titles or just a few tracks for the odd game here and there.

Will he make a comeback with a big, bold, brassy, sassy soundtrack for a new Chrono Game? Discuss the Mad Maestro here.

alexb
06-16-2007, 09:21 AM
They don't do Chrono these days. It's just not done. What happened? He left Square and started his own company and then falls off the earth for three years?

Torgo
06-16-2007, 09:22 AM
There's no denying that he's great, or that Chrono Cross is the pinnacle of his work.
It's funny that you would say that, because the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title was how utterly forgettable and boring CC's soundtrack is (Time's Scar aside, which truly is an exceptional track).

That said, I can't really comment on his work at large. Outside of CT and CC, I've never played any of the games he's scored.

shivam
06-16-2007, 09:23 AM
uh. you're wrong. so so wrong. CC has one of the most memorable soundtracks in gaming. Its just a damned shame it was attached to a decent but ultimately forgettable game.

alexb
06-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Tsugunai is generically celtic and the samples aren't as good as in the higher profile games he's done. Tsugunai kinda sucked in general, too.

Torgo
06-16-2007, 09:27 AM
uh. you're wrong. so so wrong. CC has one of the most memorable soundtracks in gaming. Its just a damned shame it was attached to a decent but ultimately forgettable game.
In fairness, I might concede that point. My complete and utter disappointment in CC knows no bounds. The most exciting part in the game is the opening cg intro (which, incidentally, is where Time's Scar plays).

Chu
06-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I happen to really love the CC soundtrack, but that may be because I really like Chrono Cross... up to the point where the story decides to stop making any sense at all, anyway.

As for what Yasunori Mitsuda's doing right now, he's apparently doing some stuff for Super Smash Bros. Brawl (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music01.html).

alexb
06-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Well, at that point you don't know that it has nearly nothing to do with the original game beyond killing its protagonists one by one. There was still hope for rebottling lightning at that point. Still, the part where the violin starts playing that melody from CT. Chills, man. Chills.

Apologies to folks who love CC.

JCDenton
06-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately my only real experience with his work is Chrono Trigger, but its soundtrack still stands as one of the best in gaming. Can't wait to see what he does in Brawl.

Makkara
06-16-2007, 10:47 AM
I would say his best work is from Xenogears. Not that Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross aren't great, but CT is held back by the relatively poor sound quality. CC has just a bit too many uninteresting dungeon themes, and so-so battle music. Xenogears has much more varied music than CC, which I think might be because most of it is composed for moods or scenes, rather than for locations. In CC, it's the other way around.

That said, CC is unparalleled when it comes to soothing and hauntingly beautiful music. If Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World doesn't get to you, you're made of ice.

nadia
06-16-2007, 11:00 AM
The overworld music that plays in the "other" world of CC (I don't know the name of the track) is gorgeous. Other than that ... well, I forget a lot of CC's soundtrack, but I do remember enjoying it.

Tomm Guycot
06-16-2007, 11:06 AM
I could listen to CC's soundtrack for days on end. It's one of gaming's best.

Coinspinner
06-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I loved Xengears anc the Chrono games' soundtracks but I think that's pretty much it for Mitsuda. I can't remember Shadow Hearts 2's music and can't remember Xenosaga even having music. Duel Saga was mostly Sakimoto I think. I haven't seen (heard) any of the rest. Are there any really good ones I passed on?

Sanagi
06-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Fate battle theme = bestestness.

ecchi squirrel
06-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Chrono Cross's soundtrack is the only redeeming quality of the game. With that said, it is one of the best videogame soundtracks of all time. Shame it's attached to such a thoroughly mediocre game.

Didn't Mitsuda contribute in some capacity to Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter? I know he wasn't the main composer, but I remember his name being associated with that project at one point or another.

I'm really looking forward to hearing his contributions to Smash Bros. Brawl. Zelda theme with a Celtic slant, perhaps?

Coinspinner
06-16-2007, 04:18 PM
According to RPGFan he was music director but didn't actually compose anything.

nadia
06-16-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm playing Breath of Fire: Dairy Queen right now, and the music is great but it seems as if the same three songs are being used over and over. I love the music at the start of the game, in the Ranger Station (for lack of a better term), but I've only heard it used in that one instance. Awww.

Calorie Mate
06-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I think CC's soundtrack was kind of overrated, too. Sure, it's pretty, but I hardly ever listen to it. Eh.

mr_bungle700
06-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Mitsuda's oft-overlooked Xenosaga soundtrack is actually pretty great, so long as you don't have to suffer through the game to hear it. It also benefits from having several tracks recorded by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. It's classy stuff, if not as memorable as some of his other works.

admozan
06-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I remember getting the free Square "teaser" soundtrack for Chrono Cross. I loved that music so much that I imported the OST before the game was released in the U.S.

My mother-in-law used to have a radio show on a community-access station on Cape Cod. Based on my recommendation, she opened her show with "Time's Scar" while my wife and I were visiting. Hearing Mitsuda on the radio was a treat.

Squall
06-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm also pretty sure that he's responsible for the wave of Celtic-inspired RPG soundtracks
I figured that was coming from FF4.

tungwene
06-16-2007, 10:29 PM
The overworld music that plays in the "other" world of CC (I don't know the name of the track) is gorgeous. Other than that ... well, I forget a lot of CC's soundtrack, but I do remember enjoying it.I agree. Dream of the Shore Near Another World is my favorite world theme of all time. I prefer his Xenogears soundtrack to CC's though but I'm absolutely in love with my CREID CD. The last game of his that I played extensively was Shadow Hearts. I really loved the Shanghai and London themes.

Healy
06-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I loved Mitsuda's work on Chrono Trigger, of course, but other than that I've only heard bits and pieces from the other soundtracks he's done since then. Maybe Super Smash Brothers Brawl will be the first chance I get to hear his work in game in something other than Trigger.

nadia
06-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Mitsuda's oft-overlooked Xenosaga soundtrack is actually pretty great, so long as you don't have to suffer through the game to hear it.

I never bothered to play Xenogears, but Star Salzman did an excellent OC Remix ("Pillar of Salt") for one of its songs.

gamin
06-17-2007, 10:25 AM
I know Sakimoto's doing anime soundtracks. Although he's still quite involved in games as well. Odin Sphere most recently, and his next soundtrack is for Opoona I think.

Kirin
06-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Nobody has mentioned the awesome Brink of Time album yet! For those who don't know, it's an arrange album for Chrono Trigger, but instead of being all Celtic-y or something like you might imagine, it fuses the soundtrack with all kinds of funky jazz and manages to pull it off. It's pretty great.

Speaking of which, every few years it seems like I hear rumbling rumors out of Mitsuda's studio about a Chrono Cross arrange album, but afaik it still hasn't happened. Anyone heard anything in the last year or two?

ProfessorS
06-17-2007, 04:08 PM
I love CT's soundtrack. My only complaint is that the normal battle music, which is one of the most heard tracks in the game is kinda...blah. Everything else is great though, especially each character's theme music. The way the intro of Magus's music follows the dialogue and kicks up once the battle starts is incredibly amazing and epic.

nadia
06-17-2007, 05:24 PM
I love CT's soundtrack. My only complaint is that the normal battle music, which is one of the most heard tracks in the game is kinda...blah.

Why do so many games with excellent soundtracks offer one battle theme? I've only played one game that had more, and that was Breath of Fire II (which had three, and each fit the tone of the story).

gamin
06-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Battle themes are something that needs to go away, or have much more variety. It's what killed the Xenosaga soundtrack--the whole game and it's that same, overwrought super dramatic piece every single time.

I really prefer when the battles just continue the music already playing on the field and not revert to the standard battle theme. It happened in Chrono Trigger from time to time for great effect.

Coinspinner
06-17-2007, 11:59 PM
SaGa Frontier has 12 battle themes. All of them are awesome enough to distract you from the terrible balance and beautifully ugly graphics. Sadly the same on was used for all "regular" battles -- the other 11 are for special fights or bosses.

I seem to remember Grandia having different themes depending on if you were ambushing, being ambushed, or meeting the foe head on. And a whole new set of tracks for the second disc.

Not having regular battle music works for games like FFXII. But games where you swirly/shatter/zoom into battle mode need battle music I think. In those games not shifting to a battle theme should be reserved for situations where you want to add gravity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4foetX8zbnk)or create tension (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjjiOrxsgrk).

Squall
06-18-2007, 12:35 AM
I think Punchout! got it right back in the 80's, the music needs to change dynamically in the situation,
all while using the same basic song. The match starts with a song that quickly builds into a great fight beat,
but the beat almost seamlessly turns more desparate when you get knocked down,
or mixes in some new instruments & BPM when you knock the opponent down for a more heroic feel.

Seriously, that would have been awesome in FFXII,
a different combat theme for each new song that dynamically builds up from the standard exploration music.
But man would I hate to compose that. So maybe it's not so great an idea for RPGs.
Although clever algorithms and a math-minded musician might be able to pull it off.

alexb
06-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Skies of Arcadia had some cool dynamic music. You had your standard boss theme, a discordant, dangerous tune for when you were at critical health, and a triumphant part for when you've nearly beaten the boss and it's on the ropes. Really cool. It was awesome to see the tide of battle turn against the last boss and then have a heroic reprise on the game's main theme weave its way into the battle theme as you work your way down the home stretch of the fight.

bobservo
06-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Earthbound did a great job with this, too; it had a bunch of battle themes, all related to what enemy you happen to be fighting at the time.

nadia
06-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Oh, you're right, Earthbound DID have a variety of battle themes. Too bad I never got anywhere in the game.

I really prefer when the battles just continue the music already playing on the field and not revert to the standard battle theme. It happened in Chrono Trigger from time to time for great effect.

Ocean Palace ftw. It happened during the opera battle scenes in FF VI, too.

Jonathan
06-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Nobody has mentioned the awesome Brink of Time album yet! For those who don't know, it's an arrange album for Chrono Trigger, but instead of being all Celtic-y or something like you might imagine, it fuses the soundtrack with all kinds of funky jazz and manages to pull it off. It's pretty great.

Speaking of which, every few years it seems like I hear rumbling rumors out of Mitsuda's studio about a Chrono Cross arrange album, but afaik it still hasn't happened. Anyone heard anything in the last year or two?

Brink of Time is a fantastic album. If Chrono Trigger ever falls into the list of Square Enix remakes, I'd hope for the musical quality of that album to find its way into the game.

JohnB
06-18-2007, 11:24 AM
I took the liberty of 'perusing' that CD from Galbadia Hotel, and so far it's pretty freaking awesome. It reminds me of that remixed F-Zero OST in that it's another successful translation of SNES music into an awesome jazz sound. Bravo.