PDA

View Full Version : Got Steam? Got an ATi graphics card? Come and collect your free prize!

Torgo
06-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Valve is offering Half Life 2: Deathmatch and Half Life 2: Lost Coast free to any one with an ATi graphics card (http://www.steampowered.com/ati_offer1a/). No extra registration or anything more to fill out. Steam simply checks your system for an ATi card and hands you the goods! I'm downloading the deathmatch as we speak. They are also offering HL2 and Episode 1 at half price for ATi users.

Nice...

(Of course, if you already own HL2 this is useless, but still, what an awesome thing to do).

Excitemike
06-16-2007, 04:54 PM
It's too bad I just switched to a nvidia.

And that I have no interest in Half Life.

bobservo
06-16-2007, 04:57 PM
A liitle icon in my Taskbar that says "ATI" tells me I have free games in store.

EDIT: Steam keeps telling me that I already got the games (it thinks I'm trying to scam them), despite never having registered for their service until today. I can't seem to fix it.

Squall
06-16-2007, 09:11 PM
EDIT: Steam keeps telling me that I already got the games (it thinks I'm trying to scam them), despite never having registered for their service until today. I can't seem to fix it.

Hi! Welcome to Steam! Please enjoy your newfound comunity of people bitching about how much Steam sucks. Also, if you have no interest in HL2 but still have an ATI card on a decent system, I'd still recommend getting Lost Coast. It looks great, it only takes 15 minutes or so, and the commentary tracks are pretty nifty.

Torgo
06-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Boo. Hiss.

Hi! Welcome to Steam! Please enjoy your newfound comunity of people bitching about how much Steam sucks.
People don't like Steam? Funny, I've had nothing but great experience from the service...

(That said, gamers on the internet... complaining!? Bunch of whiners because they can't grief in CS without getting reported and their accounts banned).

Squall
06-16-2007, 09:18 PM
No, seriously, there is quite a bit of people with valid complaints of Steam.
Worst of all was when you bought Half Life 2, then couldn't play it because the servers were down and you couldn't activate it. Also, I've seen people who bought the game but don't have an internet connection. They were then totally screwed because they couldn't play it offline without getting online.

Then there was last year's (or 2 years ago?) Quake-Con, where there was a Steam update the day of, and there was no way to update it from Quakecon. Thus, it wouldn't launch unless you let it sit and run for 10 minutes.

Steam is decent in concept, but it's been a source of much heartache among the community.

Torgo
06-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Those all seem like pretty specific instances, though. I mean, I totally agree they're problems, but it's not like they're on going, consistent ones.

(Well, except the HL2 Steam validation, but I guess that's the magic of the proliferation of broadband internet).