PDA

View Full Version : FC10 Alt: Contra 4

Pages : 1 [2]

reibeatall
11-23-2007, 08:54 AM
You can't be human.

Eirikr
11-23-2007, 09:48 AM
A peaceful time has come (http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/a/contra3.htm)!

I beat Contra 4 on Hard Mode in one life.

What was your preferred weapon set up?

Tomm Guycot
11-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Wow... the Producer of Contra III is our CEO. Interesting.

The Serpents still screw me up with their random patterns.

Ben1842
11-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Well Maybe not as impresive as Kishi, But I finally beat it on Easy.

Now I have beaten 12 of the challenges.

Tomm, I have a question. Is there a way to avoid falling through the last boss on stage 7? Every time I get to him, he rises out of the ground and I fall right through and die.

Anyway, it's a great game and it's really got me hooked on Contra. I never was very good at them so beating even Easy is a big step up for me.
I don't think I'll ever beat it on normal, I can only get to about level 3. But I am having fun with the challenges.

Great game Tomm, It made a Contra fan out of me.
I hope this isn't the last I see of Contra now. lol

If only they could get you to work on a Ninja Gaiden and put an easy mode in that. lol

Tomm Guycot
11-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Stand where his back rises?

I haven't heard of people falling through his body, so i don't know what to tell you.

Ben1842
11-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Stand where his back rises?

I haven't heard of people falling through his body, so i don't know what to tell you.

It's happened to me at least 5 times and I always try to stand in a different spot.

Weird.

Zeroneight
11-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Ben, do you mean you fall on the orb things on the lower level? You may be holding down to shoot at them while you're in the air, and then pressing jump while you're still holding down after you've landed. That'll make you drop down off his back, and if you haven't destroyed the orbs yet, you'll die. Just make sure to hold down only when you're in the air until you've destroyed all the orbs, or at least one, so you have somewhere safe to land.

EDIT: Upon reading your post again, it seems that you fall through right when the boss appears. It could still be due to jumping while holding down.

Ben1842
11-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Ben, do you mean you fall on the orb things on the lower level? You may be holding down to shoot at them while you're in the air, and then pressing jump while you're still holding down after you've landed. That'll make you drop down off his back, and if you haven't destroyed the orbs yet, you'll die. Just make sure to hold down only when you're in the air until you've destroyed all the orbs, or at least one, so you have somewhere safe to land.

EDIT: Upon reading your post again, it seems that you fall through right when the boss appears. It could still be due to jumping while holding down.

Nope I'm not jumping down, it just happens right when the fight starts.

I guess I'm special. :)

Makkara
11-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I got my copy in the mail today. I beat easy on my second try. I got to the level 7 boss with just one life left on my first try, and like Ben, I died instantly. That's because I was standing at the far right side of the screen, though. The second time I killed him without dying.

After beating easy, I went straight to the challenges, because I'll be damned if I'll tackle normal with a mere human. A couple of hours, an aching thumb and a generous helping of frustration later, and Probotector is unlocked. Victory! I think I'll wait until tomorrow before trying normal.

Tomm Guycot
11-23-2007, 02:35 PM
I got my copy in the mail today. I beat easy on my second try. I got to the level 7 boss with just one life left on my first try, and like Ben, I died instantly. That's because I was standing at the far right side of the screen, though. The second time I killed him without dying.

After beating easy, I went straight to the challenges, because I'll be damned if I'll tackle normal with a mere human. A couple of hours, an aching thumb and a generous helping of frustration later, and Probotector is unlocked. Victory! I think I'll wait until tomorrow before trying normal.

Just as nature intended.

If you use the pallete-swap trick Kishi detailed, you can get my favorite, the Evangelion Unit 01 Probotector.

Makkara
11-23-2007, 02:53 PM
If you use the pallete-swap trick Kishi detailed, you can get my favorite, the Evangelion Unit 01 Probotector.

For the full experience, I'll whimper "I mustn't run away!" between levels.

ShakeWell
11-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Only 4 Challenges left... The first four on the last page. I one lifed Black Viper's ass already.

RE: Low Ammo 1, fuck you, Tomm. Fuck you so hard in the ear. Why you gotta make me beat that sub-boss (no pun intended) with 25 bullets? That was the hardest one so far, I think. Harder than the last challenge, fo' sho'.

Haven't beaten the main game on any other difficulty yet, been too busy with Mario and the challenges.

Kishi
11-23-2007, 04:00 PM
What was your preferred weapon set up?

I used Spread and Homing. It may seem redundant, but Spread is fast, constantly covers a wide area, and gets more powerful as you get closer to your target and can catch it more of the "streams"; whereas Homing is great for taking out swarming small fry, hard-to-reach enemies, and of course, the targets in the 3D stages. They both serve me well until Stage 9, which I've learned to survive just with S, so I switch out H for M in preparation for the final boss.

Tomm Guycot
11-23-2007, 04:46 PM
My weapon setup is Spread and Flame (both on lvl 2, natch). Spread fora ll the reasons Kishi already mentioned, and Fire 2 because that's the single most powerful bullet in the game (doing 5 damage per hit, unless the target has fewer HP, in which case it explodes).

RE: Low Ammo 1, fuck you, Tomm. Fuck you so hard in the ear. Why you gotta make me beat that sub-boss (no pun intended) with 25 bullets?

The Challenge Objectives were left entirely up to WayForward... but then again the one you chose to yell at me about is, in fact, my favorite... so point taken I guess.

Zodar
11-24-2007, 03:18 PM
just purchased it, got to level 7 on easy before getting a game over (there's no bigger FUCK YOU than dying the second the boss finishes his intro animation because you stood in the wrong spot)

game is absolutely fantastic, level design is great, bosses are creative and just as contra-tastic as i'd expect them to be. look forward to manning up and giving normal/hard a shot

thanks for the game, punk!

Sami
11-24-2007, 04:01 PM
RE: Low Ammo 1, fuck you, Tomm. Fuck you so hard in the ear. Why you gotta make me beat that sub-boss (no pun intended) with 25 bullets? That was the hardest one so far, I think. Harder than the last challenge, fo' sho'.

You must be doing something wrong, that's a walk in the park with C. For me, Mutt Hunts and especially Friendly Fires have definitely been the most taxing.

Jonny2x4
11-24-2007, 08:14 PM
I just purchased my copy today and here's my first impressions.

First off, with the superficial complaints (aside from the previously mentioned plot/canon issues). The museum mode is nice, but nothing special. I would've like to had seen something other than box artwork and screenshots taken from VGmuseum.com. I noticed a couple of mistakes such as listing the Japanese title of the arcade Contra as "Gryzor" (the series has always been Contra there, or "Kontora" if you want to be more specific). Also, the Japanese title of Contra: Hard Corps is actually "Contra: The HardCorps" (not much of a difference, but a difference nonetheless). I'm hoping the Nakazato interview and hidden comic are worth it though.

I like the art style used in the game's opening. I find it ironic this game uses an anime-style artwork, whereas the Japanese-developed Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra featured cover artwork by Ashley Wood and Jim Lee respectively.

I'm a bit disappointed that the differences between the four playable characters are only in their palette. I would've liked to if they had at least given each character a different sprite like they did in the arcade games.

Now onto the game itself. This is truly an old-school Contra. Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra, as much as they try to return to the basics, have a different feel from the old-school games. Maybe its the lack of power-up capsules or the darker feel of the last two games. Whatever it is, the designer did something right. The controls took some getting used to, having played through the NES Contras and Contra III recently. I would've chosen the Select button to discard weapons rather than the A button, since its harder to hit Select by mistake. Also, the lack to lock your character's aim is a bit odd, considering that Shattered Soldier and even Contra Advance (the GBA port of Contra III) had that feature.

The use of the dual screens was a bit distracting at first and takes some getting used to. I find myself getting too focused on screen while ignoring the dangers at the other. There's also annoying blind zone between the two screens and it allowed a few enemies to take me by surprise in the upward-scrolling stages (not so much in the the side-scrolling ones).

The game is pretty hard too, even in the easy setting. I only managed to get through Giant Robot Fuzz in Stage 6 before running out of continues in Stage 7.

Ben1842
11-24-2007, 08:29 PM
I just purchased my copy today and here's my first impressions.

First off, with the superficial complaints (aside from the previously mentioned plot/canon issues). The museum mode is nice, but nothing special. I would've like to had seen something other than box artwork and screenshots taken from VGmuseum.com. I noticed a couple of mistakes such as listing the Japanese title of the arcade Contra as "Gryzor" (the series has always been Contra there, or "Kontora" if you want to be more specific). Also, the Japanese title of Contra: Hard Corps is actually "Contra: The HardCorps" (not much of a difference, but a difference nonetheless). I'm hoping the Nakazato interview and hidden comic are worth it though.

I like the art style used in the game's opening. I find it ironic this game uses an anime-style artwork, whereas the Japanese-developed Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra featured cover artwork by Ashley Wood and Jim Lee respectively.

I'm a bit disappointed that the differences between the four playable characters are only in their palette. I would've liked to if they had at least given each character a different sprite like they did in the arcade games.

Now onto the game itself. This is truly an old-school Contra. Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra, as much as they try to return to the basics, have a different feel from the old-school games. Maybe its the lack of power-up capsules or the darker feel of the last two games. Whatever it is, the designer did something right. The controls took some getting used to, having played through the NES Contras and Contra III recently. I would've chosen the Select button to discard weapons rather than the A button, since its harder to hit Select by mistake. Also, the lack to lock your character's aim is a bit odd, considering that Shattered Soldier and even Contra Advance (the GBA port of Contra III) had that feature.

The use of the dual screens was a bit distracting at first and takes some getting used to. I find myself getting too focused on screen while ignoring the dangers at the other. There's also annoying blind zone between the two screens and it allowed a few enemies to take me by surprise in the upward-scrolling stages (not so much in the the side-scrolling ones).

The game is pretty hard too, even in the easy setting. I only managed to get through Giant Robot Fuzz in Stage 6 before running out of continues in Stage 7.

First off, some of the things you want seem like they couldn't be there because of cart space. I was surprised at all the stuff that was there personally.
How many games on a handheld give you so much extra stuff?

I do agree that I wish it had a screen to change the controls, but the default is pretty good once you get used to it.

as for the rest I agree and said almost the exact same thing here: http://one.revver.com/watch/487456/

One last thing, since I don't think I've ever talked to you before, Nice to meet you.

Jonny2x4
11-25-2007, 12:05 AM
First off, some of the things you want seem like they couldn't be there because of cart space. I was surprised at all the stuff that was there personally.
How many games on a handheld give you so much extra stuff?

I still think the Museum Gallery could used something more than just screenshots, cover artwork and one-paragraph descriptions of the game, but oh well. They still should've included a strafing feature (after all, Contra Advance had it) though. I do like the addition of Super Contra-style upgradable weapons.

I completed the game on Easy and already cleared eight stages of Challenge Mode, unlocking NES Contra and Super C. Gotta unlock Probtector RD008 now.

Kishi
11-25-2007, 04:23 AM
I still think the Museum Gallery could used something more than just screenshots, cover artwork and one-paragraph descriptions of the game, but oh well.

The Museum becomes more detailed as an unlockable reward for Challenge Mode.

Sami
11-25-2007, 05:12 AM
Also, the Japanese title of Contra: Hard Corps is actually "Contra: The HardCorps" (not much of a difference, but a difference nonetheless).

Err, no, it's Contra: The Hardcore (http://www.ne.jp/asahi/hzk/kommander/conhctop.html) (KONTORA ZA HAADOKOA). Really.

I'm a big fan of Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra and also the aim lock method, but now that you mentioned it, I haven't missed it at all in Contra 4. Besides, Tomm said that they didn't want to make the game "aim and gun" instead of run 'n gun, so that might be why the aim lock wasn't included, besides it not being in the games Contra 4 was based on.

That site also has a glowing review (http://www.ne.jp/asahi/hzk/kommander/con4rv.html) of Contra 4. Personally, I'm curious of how the American-specific characters and plot points will be handled in the European and especially the Japanese versions. I don't think there will be any changes to the European version, but the Japanese one might have some interesting changes.

Now how about a sequel, set after Contra Shattered Soldier? You could... revive Lance.

Kishi
11-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Hard Corps confusion

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/contra/contrathcjpspine.png

Makkara
11-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Err, no, it's Contra: The Hardcore (http://www.ne.jp/asahi/hzk/kommander/conhctop.html) (KONTORA ZA HAADOKOA). Really.

Hardcore and Hard Corps are pronounced the same way. You know, like in Marine Corps.

Sami
11-25-2007, 06:25 AM
Ah. Now even I'm not sure, even though HAADOKOA (http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dosearch?sDict=on&H=PS&L=J&T=haadokoa&WC=none&FG=w&BG=b&S=26) normally means "hardcore". No wonder there's confusion about the matter. But I guess it reading "The Hard Corps" on the Japanese cover/obi makes a pretty strong case for this being the official name.

Jonny2x4
11-25-2007, 11:29 AM
See, I was right. Haadokoa in this case has a double meaning, it refers to the game's main characters, as well as the word Hardcore. Nothing else to add besides that.

I'm a big fan of Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra and also the aim lock method, but now that you mentioned it, I haven't missed it at all in Contra 4. Besides, Tomm said that they didn't want to make the game "aim and gun" instead of run 'n gun, so that might be why the aim lock wasn't included, besides it not being in the games Contra 4 was based on.

Just because the developers based Contra 4 on the older NES games doesn't mean they couldn't had added features from the later games. Its like remaking the original Final Fantasy and not putting the option to redirect your character's attacks.

Already unlocked Probotector RD008 and the Nakazato interview. These Challenge stages are real tough I might add.

The official Neo Contra website had a very cool retrospective of the series, where they mention various trivia such as Masato Maegawa's (of Treasure) involvement in the series (although they never mention him by full name, calling him "Mr. M, founder of Company T"). There was an English version of the site in Konami of America's website, but it got removed during their umpteenth revamp of the site).

Savathun
11-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Kontoraaaaaaaaaa! (http://media.putfile.com/Kontoraaaaaaaaaaaaa)

JCDenton
11-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Kontoraaaaaaaaaa! (http://media.putfile.com/Kontoraaaaaaaaaaaaa)

Where the hell did you find that?

Also, I think you just won something.

Savathun
11-25-2007, 01:25 PM
When I saw the name, I had to shout it.

Scared the hell out of my dogs.

Tomm Guycot
11-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Can anyone translate the game kommander review?

Also, there's no "move and aim" button because the game isn't designed that way. In Shattered Soldier, there were bosses that were behind you while the screen auto-scrolled the other direction. It was necessary.

There aren't instances where such a feature would be needed in Contra 4. I'm willing to bet the only reason it was added in Contra III (GBA) is because of the motorcycle stage, where half your opponents come from behind you.

Jonny2x4
11-25-2007, 05:31 PM
The ability to lock your aim would''ve been helpful in boss encounters such as Stage 2, where you're forced to aim up often.

As for Game Kommander's review, he says its very good. According to him, it feels like it was developed by the NES Contra Team or even a Treasure-developed Contra. He says in the end that he wishes for an official Japanese release.

Eirikr
11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I just 1CCed the game on Normal!

I almost 1CCed breaking the game when I threw the game card against the wall earlier, due to a string of bad luck.

JCDenton
11-25-2007, 09:48 PM
When I saw the name, I had to shout it.

Scared the hell out of my dogs.

Ok, how can I convert to the Church of Brandon? Should I just ask CalorieMate?

In more Contra 4 related news, I'm more than halfway through the challenges. I might actually enjoy these even more than the main game. So addictive.

Traumadore
11-25-2007, 10:13 PM
The challenges are indeed addictive, which is becoming a problem since after the 16th or so I have been spending 30-90 minutes beating each one.

For the one wondering how much play they might get out of it, I have probably sunk 20 hours into it and I haven't even beaten normal yet. I am bad, but persistent I guess.

kommander
11-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Hello everyone,
Eirikr invited me to join this forum. I'm a big fan of Contra in Japan.

In Japan, some Contra fans import the cart and play Contra 4. They're all saying, "Cooooontra Fooooour is soooo great!"

By the way, the enemies of Japanese Contra series always have unique name different from American version.
For example, the final boss of Contra 1(Heart) is "Ten-Ou-Sou-Ma-Shin; Gomera-Moth-King".
"Ten" means "heaven", "Ou" means "king", "Sou" means "creation", "Ma" means "evil", and "Shin" means "heart".
And "Gomera-Moth-King" is a mixture of Japanese famous monster movies, "Godzilla", "Gamera", "Mothra" and "King Ghidorah".

Cooooontra Fooooorever!!!!!!

Eirikr
11-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Hello everyone,

In Japan, some Contra fans import the cart and play Contra 4. They're all saying, "Cooooontra Fooooour is soooo great!"

By the way, the enemies of Japanese Contra series always have unique name different from American version.
For example, the final boss of Contra 1(Heart) is "Ten-Ou-Sou-Ma-Shin; Gomera-Moth-King".
"Ten" means "heaven", "Ou" means "king", "Sou" means "creation", "Ma" means "evil", and "Shin" means "heart".
And "Gomera-Moth-King" is a mixture of Japanese famous monster movies, "Godzilla", "Gamera", "Mothra" and "King Ghidorah".

Kommander! I'm so glad you joined up! I'm sorry I didn't invite you earlier though, as our Contra 4 discussion here is probably going to change to another game soon.

Our Fun Club is where we all play the same game for a short period and share our experiences with the game. But a lot of us here are big Konami fans, so Konami related discussion isn't going to go away any time soon :)

Ben1842
11-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to our corner of the internet. I hope you enjoy your stay.
And if your a big Contra 4 fan, might I suggest watching this http://one.revver.com/watch/487456/

What? I have to plug the show to the new people. lol

Jonny2x4
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I just completed all 40 stages of Challenge Mode. Thereby unlocking all the hidden content. In truth, there's only five unique playable characters: Bill, Probotector (RD008), Lucia, Sheena and Jimbo (Alien Wars-style Bill). Everyone else is just a palette swap. I liked the other hidden characters (my personal favorite being Probotector), but I think instead of Jimbo and Sully, I would've liked to had see Jaguar from Neo Contra or one of the other three main characters from Contra Hard Corps in their places. The only benefit of playing as Jimbo and Sully is that they can avoid enemy fire more easily due to their smaller size.

Overall I'm really liking the game so far. Better than the slightly disappointing Neo Contra and every bit as good as Shattered Soldier (if not better). My only legit gripe with the main game is that it goes a bit overboard with the nostalgia moments. I guess the last few Contra games were also guilty of this too.

BTW, has anyone ever heard of Battlantis? Is an arcade game by the original director of Contra. I only mentioning this because the final boss of Battlantis bears a resemblance to Gaver, the final boss of Super Contra and a recurring boss in later games.
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/c/bats.htm

Jonny2x4
11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the forum Game Kommander. Yeah, I noticed the weird enemy names in the Japanese Contra games from your bestiary and I always believed they were intended to be pop-culture references. Like the face hugger-like insects from the original game called "Pucker" (Pakkaa) and Robot Brothers Kenny from Contra Spirits.

The Contra continuity can be a bit confusing here in America. The games always took place in the future in Japan, but when Konami released the first Contra here, they changed the plot in the game's manual by placing the game's setting in the present (which you might already read in the official Neo Contra website). Super C and Operation C were also set in the present. When Konami released Contra III over here, they kept the futuristic setting, but changed the main characters' identity to Jimbo and Sully, explaining that they were the descendants of Bill and Lance from the previous games. If you compare the ending of Contra Spirits with that of Contra III, you'll notice the date stamps in the photographs were removed in the US version. When Konami released Contra: Shattered Soldier here, they retained the Japanese continuity in the overseas localizations and reverted the main characters' identities back to Bill and Lance (Contra: Hard Corps remained unaffected, since the game had nothing to do Bill and Lance). Additionally, Bill's and Lance's codenames in the US were originally Mad Dog and Scorpion, which is where the names from the new characters comes from.

Tomm Guycot
11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
I think there's some Jimbo/Sully confusion.

For one - they are not part of the storyline. None of the extra characters are. they're there for fun.

Two, everyone seems to be looking at it like "they tried to put in more Contra references! Why didn't they use Jaguar!?"

We wanted to include the Contra 3 sprites. The question was, what do we call them?

That's where Jimbo & Sully came from in Contra 4.

ArugulaZ
11-27-2007, 03:03 PM
BTW, has anyone ever heard of Battlantis? Is an arcade game by the original director of Contra. I only mentioning this because the final boss of Battlantis bears a resemblance to Gaver, the final boss of Super Contra and a recurring boss in later games.
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/c/bats.htm

I've not only heard of it, but I've done more with it!

The game reminded me of a polished up Space Invaders, right down to the marching patterns of the enemies. The game was all right, but nothing fantastic. It did have nice graphics, though.

Kishi
11-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Holy crap, we got Game Kommander. Talking Time just got ten times cooler.

Eirikr
11-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Holy crap, we got Game Kommander. Talking Time just got ten times cooler.

Let's make sure we be extra nice, so he actually posts more than once!

kommander
11-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Thank you everyone,

The final boss of Battlantis is called "Asmodeum".
It was said that he was the same boss as Super Contra, in a Japanese magazine "Gamest" at that time.
Actually, because both games had a same graphic designer, I think it was only a coincidence.

Mr. Kengo Nakamura ,the graphic designer of Arcade Contra and Battlantis, is the main designer and planner of legendary Gradius (Nemesis).
And Mr. Tsujimoto, the director of Arcade Contra and Battlantis, also directed Sunset Riders (so-called "Western Contra").

Though I've already beaten Contra 4 on Hard Mode several times, I keep playing it everyday!
I love beating the submarine mini-boss (stage 4) only in a few seconds.

Savathun
11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
I just heard that the last level takes place in Harvest Yard.

I parked my car there!

Eirikr
11-27-2007, 11:53 PM
I just beat Contra 4 on hard!

dot

dot

dot

Using the 99 lives glitch. A lot of things are definitely unexpected in hard mode, mostly the speed of everything. My overall impressions of hard mode? Definitely doable, as Kishi and the Kommander have proven.

shivam
11-27-2007, 11:55 PM
what glitch?
also, i don't believe that there is a hard mode, as it's clearly impossible to get past easy.

Savathun
11-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Just saw a video of the last boss on youtube. Very cool! I'm impressed, even though I'll admit I was kind of expecting something crazy like the last two levels of Shattered Soldier had. But this is cool, too.

How many brains does that guy have, anyway? And I guess it's handy to have a whole other creature inside your head taking care of your brain for you.

Eirikr
11-28-2007, 12:02 AM
what glitch?
also, i don't believe that there is a hard mode, as it's clearly impossible to get past easy.

If you expend your last life at the same time you gain an extra (or rather, you have to die the split second before you gain the extra) you will have 99.

It's pretty easy to do in stage 1. If you do things as normal, when you destroy the RAILCAR O' DOOM you will gain the extra life. So the trick is to damage him just enough that he starts spewing smoke, wait on your last life and pray that those final shots do the trick as you face down a huge blast to the kopf.

Just saw a video of the last boss on youtube. Very cool! I'm impressed, even though I'll admit I was kind of expecting something crazy like the last two levels of Shattered Soldier had. But this is cool, too.

Stage 6 of Shattered Soldier was a perfect experience for me. The music was awesome and the underlying theme to the progression of bosses was well executed. The "final final" stage was such a pain in the ass. I could never get its pattern down, and when I did end up S ranking the game, beating that stage without dying was just pure luck.

VsRobot
11-28-2007, 12:03 AM
what glitch?

As I understand, you have to have zero lives left, and get enough points to gain an extra life at the moment you lose your last life. Sounds complicated and I haven't tried it yet.

Tomm Guycot
11-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Kommander - this is Tomm :) Hi again.

I am curious, of the gamers in Japan who would play Contra, what are the other games they are current playing?

We hear a lot of reports here in America that Japan is mostly "Brain Age" or "Nintendogs". Are these the same gamers that would play Contra?

Or is there a "hardcore set" eager for action games?

shivam
11-28-2007, 12:16 AM
i never thought about it before, but it is interesting that a game as ruthlessly hardcore as contra landed on the DS.

Savathun
11-28-2007, 12:20 AM
If you expend your last life at the same time you gain an extra (or rather, you have to die the split second before you gain the extra) you will have 99.

It's pretty easy to do in stage 1. If you do things as normal, when you destroy the RAILCAR O' DOOM you will gain the extra life. So the trick is to damage him just enough that he starts spewing smoke, wait on your last life and pray that those final shots do the trick as you face down a huge blast to the kopf.

Stage 6 of Shattered Soldier was a perfect experience for me. The music was awesome and the underlying theme to the progression of bosses was well executed. The "final final" stage was such a pain in the ass. I could never get its pattern down, and when I did end up S ranking the game, beating that stage without dying was just pure luck.

I agree on all counts. "Blood Falcon" is awesome. They even threw in the heart boss!

Oh, and Tomm, you can totally use that sweet Kontora thing for the Japanese version of the game, I won't sue. I'm just sayin.

Eirikr
11-28-2007, 12:34 AM
I agree on all counts. "Blood Falcon" is awesome. They even threw in the heart boss!

And the music! God, the music! Definitely my favorite Contra soundtrack ever (and one of my favorites, ever). Akira Yamaoka and Sota Fujimori? How the hell did they cross over into doing a Contra game?

kommander
11-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Kommander - this is Tomm :) Hi again.

I am curious, of the gamers in Japan who would play Contra, what are the other games they are current playing?

We hear a lot of reports here in America that Japan is mostly "Brain Age" or "Nintendogs". Are these the same gamers that would play Contra?

Or is there a "hardcore set" eager for action games?

Hello!

It is said that 50% of Japanese Nintendo DS users are...

[1] People who bought videogame for the first time in their life.
[2] People who had been playing NES in their childhood, but not playing another system like PS or Xbox.

And other 50% are the hardcore gamers.

"Brain Age" or "Nintendogs" are mainly played by people [1].

The hardcore gamers play almost any type of games, including Gears of War, Ace Combat 6, Monster Hunter, and so on.
Now I'm playing HALO 3 and Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on Xbox 360.

And I believe Contra 4 will hit people [2] and the hardcore gamers, because it reminds us old familiar "NES Contra" feelings!

Savathun
11-28-2007, 03:33 AM
And the music! God, the music! Definitely my favorite Contra soundtrack ever (and one of my favorites, ever). Akira Yamaoka and Sota Fujimori? How the hell did they cross over into doing a Contra game?

That was them? That explains why the music is always stuck in my head. Particularly that part during the Blood Falcon fight where you battle those two weird spider head things.

sraymonds
11-28-2007, 07:42 AM
The Pacifism challenges are the reason I'm not a pacifist in real life. When trouble comes a calling, I let my friends Right Hook and Dr. Hitty McHitterson do the talking.

Dr. McHitterson's PhD is in Pain...with a minor in Creative Writing.

chud_666
11-28-2007, 07:53 AM
The coolest thing about Contra 4 is the creatures/enemies page in the instruction booklet. 'Ingmar Birdman' is almost as rad as Fred Ascare and Paula Abghoul.

Now back to further challenges destroying my sense of self worth.....

Tomm Guycot
11-28-2007, 09:39 AM
It's really flattering to me that this thread kept up with the Mario ones (combined) as far as postcount goes.

Thanks guys.

ringworm
11-28-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd have posted more but I seem to have hit a serious plateau. I've done 18/40 Challenges and have spent hours unable to get more. I also can't pass Stage 6 on Normal. I just don't think I can commit any more time to this game without making any sort of progress.

shivam
11-28-2007, 09:49 AM
i just get the feeling that this is going to be the type of game i pull out once in a while to just shoot shit and then put away. i dont think i'll ever beat level 2.

wahoninja
11-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I bought Mass Effect last night, but when I got home, I only played Contra 4. The Challenge Mode changed the game from totally-dig to totally-love.

** out of **!

Reluctant Hero
11-28-2007, 11:20 AM
I finally got my copy from Amazon yesturday. I'll try to play it tonight... but Mass Effect is calling to me.

q 3
11-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Savor the challenges. They're addictive. Like meth. Once you run out of them, you'll be sorry. Also, your face will be covered in sores.

Jonny2x4
11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Savor the challenges. They're addictive. Like meth. Once you run out of them, you'll be sorry. Also, your face will be covered in sores.

Nah! Hard mode is pretty challenging by itself. I haven't even finished the game on Normal yet.

It seems I'm overly critical of the game, but I really do loved Contra 4. Its on my personal top three favorite Contra games alongside Alien Wars and the arcade Super Contra. I think it came out on a bad time though (right during my finals).

VsRobot
11-28-2007, 10:21 PM
You know, I paid the same amount for this game as some robot who can 1-life hard. I should have equal access to significant content that has been walled off.

This is not a criticism of this game specifically because making big chunks of games out of the reach of average or below-average gamer happens a lot. This is game design that I do not agree with.

I realize that carrots are important in the game design process, but in this instance I feel like 3/4ths of the game are out of my reach. (Main Game, Challenge Mode, Contra, Super C).

This game just happens to have content I would really like to see, so it seems more egregious that other instances.

After spending all evening on this game I don't think I can justify playing the same levels over and over and over when I have so many other games that aren't being played at all.

However, if I stop playing it I'll never go back and finish it. A conundrum to be sure.

So, in conclusion, I always hate this game immediately after every extended play-session, but then once I get some distance I remember how much I love it when I'm playing it. I guess this is what being a battered wife is like (not to compare my lameness at games with domestic violence, but you get the idea.)

mopinks
11-28-2007, 10:37 PM
This is not a criticism of this game specifically because making big chunks of games out of the reach of average or below-average gamer happens a lot. This is game design that I do not agree with.

super agreed!
I always appreciate when games give me multiple paths to the awesome unlockable content - like, for instance, fighting games that give you an unlockable character for completing some incredibly hard task, but will also time-release unlock that character after 60 hours of play or whatever. that way, everyone gets to enjoy the unlockables, but the truly skilled just get the privilege of enjoying it much sooner.

I've felt this way ever since I realized that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are infinitely more fun with the cheats on.

JCDenton
11-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I've felt this way ever since I realized that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are infinitely more fun with the cheats on.

Super disagreed. Playing with cheats in those games takes all the fun out five minutes in.

I think the "access to unlockable content" issue needs its own thread.

mopinks
11-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Super disagreed. Playing with cheats in those games takes all the fun out five minutes in.

you must be doing it wrong! :<

personally, I never got tired of running through any level in Goldeneye, killing everything in sight with slow-motion tank shell explosions.

Traumadore
11-28-2007, 11:50 PM
It's different for everyone, I've beaten 28 challenges, but I can't beat the chase level on normal, or the harbor on hard. Or the second level of either of the classic contras, oy.

sfried
11-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Tomm, I'm still wondering if you have any info on the Euro/Japan release of this game. Well, you don't have to mention specifics...but I hope it is something being discussed.

And hi Kommander. Welcome aboard. :) (You should check out Madman's Cafe (http://mmcafe.com/bbs.html) as well...They also have a fare share of Contra fanatics (http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/12676.shtml#38431) as well.)

Jonny2x4
11-29-2007, 07:44 AM
It's different for everyone, I've beaten 28 challenges, but I can't beat the chase level on normal, or the harbor on hard. Or the second level of either of the classic contras, oy.

The NES Contra games are not as hard as I used to remember and I can easily pass Super C on one credit.

Too bad there's no real multiplayer support for the classic Contra games in Contra 4. You get to control both characters at the same time with the d-pad, but both character have their jump and fire buttons mapped out differently. Its as stupid as that one-player/two-characters mode in Double Dragon Advance where you only control one of the Lee brothers at a time, while the other stands still and vulnerable at the enemy's mercy, but at least that actually had something of a purpose.

I always lose a bunch of credits in the fourth stage during the missile climbing segment. I only managed to get as far as Stage 7 in Normal. I normally don't choose to continue if I'm forced on the same stage more than once, but I make exception here to master the game.

djSyndrome
11-29-2007, 07:44 AM
You know, I paid the same amount for this game as some robot who can 1-life hard. I should have equal access to significant content that has been walled off.

Well, there's always a time-unlock solution. Gradius V required you beat the game on any difficulty to open up Weapon Edit mode. It gave you an extra credit for each hour you played. At 17 hours, it gave you free play, which meant you would have no excuse for not beating the game.

chud_666
11-29-2007, 08:10 AM
I think the extra content being unlockable is good - can definately keep you interested. As for it being too hard -- this is Contra! Its supposed to be hard, and I love/hate how the challenges give you specific goals that are not necessarily how you would play the real game. Accuracy and Friendly fire make you think twice about mowing everything down, thats for sure (damn you friendly fire 2!!!!). Additionally this game is difficult but, in my opinion, does not require absolute perfection like Shattered Soldier did.

Anyway as the manual says - Man Up!

Tomm Guycot
11-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Are you a longtime Contra fan? (http://caddie.smeenet.org/contra.swf)

JCDenton
11-29-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm at the point where I've become overconfident in my skills during the early part of the game and die in the first level. The perfectionist in my then makes me start over. I need to learn to just go with it.

Let's attack aggressively.

Parish
11-29-2007, 11:03 AM
And, sadly, all good things must come to an end. But please continue to discuss this fine video game in the main gaming forum.