PDA

View Full Version : Why does every wedding reception always play the exact same music?

poetfox
06-16-2007, 07:00 PM
I mean, seriously.

Sarcasmorator
06-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Mine didn't.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Because weddings suck and nobody really wants to be there.

Sarcasmorator
06-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Incorrect.

poetfox
06-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Mine didn't.
Good! From all wedding-goers everywhere, I thank you.
Because weddings suck and nobody really wants to be there.
I wanted to be there. I had a lot of fun. Outside. Away from the music.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Good! From all wedding-goers everywhere, I thank you.

I wanted to be there. I had a lot of fun. Outside. Away from the music.

Outside. Se what I'm talking about?

poetfox
06-16-2007, 07:52 PM
I wanted to go to the wedding because of the people who would be there. I spent time with them, I had a good time. We would have spent the time inside if the music wouldn't have been the SAME THING played at every wedding. The company, the party, I was totally down with that. The music? Stupid. I can hate one part and love the rest. Promise.

sraymonds
06-16-2007, 07:56 PM
What kind of music was there? I'll avoid them for my future nuptials.

poetfox
06-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Man, a list... mm, let me see...
Love Shack.
YMCA.
Most songs with an associated dance that people will attempt to make you to do... there's this one... Cha Cha Slide, I want to say it's called, where it's just some guy telling you to like step and there's a drum beat. That's not even a song. Other such things... Chicken Dance... Hokey Pokey...
I dunno, there are off the top of my head. There was other stuff that I'm like "Okay, it's just her style and not mine" and I didn't mind. But these are basically all the sort of... "DJ Tricks" to try to get people to dance that they play any time they do their thing. And seriously they can stop, anytime.
I'm sure people know the names of these songs better than me or something? Feel free to chime in.

Sarcasmorator
06-16-2007, 08:26 PM
My wedding mix (we made a pair of iPod playlists for before and after the wedding), included, among others, "I Only Want You" by Eagles of Death Metal, "Help Yourself" by Tom Jones, Richard Cheese's cover of "Are You Gonna Be My Girl," and "Contract of Love" as sung by a young Stevie Wonder.

I'll be very surprised if anyone's heard more than one of these at any one wedding.

sraymonds
06-16-2007, 08:28 PM
I've only been to Vietnamese weddings, and the stuff they play is in some crazy moon language which I barely understand. You'll have some English songs tossed in there, but then it's old stuff like Elvis, as interpreted by a Vietnamese fellow.

And of course, the two non-Vietnamese weddings I could possibly go to, I'm not invited to go to. Thanks for sticking up for me honey.

Aw yes, I hear I will be forced to listen to the chicken dance, or perhaps, God forbid, dance it at my wedding. I told her that I will divorce her on the spot, but I think she knows it's an empty threat.

JCDenton
06-16-2007, 08:35 PM
I have only been to one wedding, but all the songs that have been mentioned have were played at almost every Bar/Bat Mitzvah I've ever been to. Party DJs don't seem to be very creative or daring.

Torgo
06-16-2007, 08:51 PM
While I don't remember what played at the reception, if it makes you feel any better my brother came out to 'Thriller' for his wedding ceremony.

Chu
06-16-2007, 09:13 PM
What is with it and people going to weddings on my birthday? My brother went to one, my mother went to one, and now you?

But back to the subject, my friends and I were laughing about the idea of playing Haddaway's "What is Love" at our other friends' wedding.

Squall
06-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Love Shack.
YMCA
Other such things... Chicken Dance... Hokey Pokey...

I have never, ever been to a Wedding with any of this music played in my entire life. Maybe it's one of those crazy Missouri things.
I have been to several weddings that have played the Star Wars theme, however. And at least one or two with some random Square themes.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-16-2007, 09:25 PM
I have never, ever been to a Wedding with any of this music played in my entire life. Maybe it's one of those crazy Missouri things.
I have been to several weddings that have played the Star Wars theme, however. And at least one or two with some random Square themes.

The Star Wars theme? Wow. I never go to weddings or funerals, or birthdays. I hate parties. People are noisy. I would have been so happy living in the desert 5000 years ago.

sraymonds
06-16-2007, 09:33 PM
What is with it and people going to weddings on my birthday? My brother went to one, my mother went to one, and now you?

But back to the subject, my friends and I were laughing about the idea of playing Haddaway's "What is Love" at our other friends' wedding.

Uhh..happy birthday?

Chu
06-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks! You know, these forums actually sent me a happy birthday e-mail today. That was a surprise.

Maggie
06-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Happy birthday to Chu.

And I'd be honestly offended if someone I knew invited me to a wedding. Not only are they boring, but, well, no, they're just boring and that's really bad enough.

Sheana
06-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Man my sorta-boyfriend and I have already agreed to never ever play something dumb like The Chicken Dance or Hokey-Pokey at any far off potential wedding. I will agree that that is a good way to ruin a wedding.

I can think of a few songs I'd like played. I know both of us would like 'Let My Love Open The Door'.

mr_bungle700
06-16-2007, 10:33 PM
The music is one of the biggest reasons why weddings drive me batty. The other is my crippling fear of human contact. But it's mostly the music. As a result, my wedding will have the greatest soundtrack of all time, plus live performances. That's one of the benefits of being a musician and having other musicians among my friends and family.

Of course I'll probably have to get over the whole "crippling fear of human contact" thing first.

tungwene
06-16-2007, 10:42 PM
At my boyfriend's sister's wedding they played lots of Indian pop tunes because her husband was Indian and I don't remember what else was played but at some point there was Black Eyed Peas. That's the only wedding I've ever attended but there's one coming up in August I'm going to. I'll report back from there.

Armored Robo Zaza Gabor
06-16-2007, 10:42 PM
What's the point of marrying.

"The divorce rate in America for first marriage, vs second or third marriage
50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second and 74% of third marriages end in divorce, according to Jennifer Baker of the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology in Springfield, Missouri.

Source: http://www.divorcerate.org/

People are so cute when they are all like little puppies thinking they'll be happy. Until they start looking at each other with disgust and disinterest. Boredom.

.... I've been playing Tenchu 2 lately. It's actually more polished than the first if you think about it. Too bad no music during stages. Huh?

Tomm Guycot
06-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Love Shack.
YMCA.
Most songs with an associated dance that people will attempt to make you to do... there's this one... Cha Cha Slide, I want to say it's called, where it's just some guy telling you to like step and there's a drum beat. That's not even a song. Other such things... Chicken Dance... Hokey Pokey...
I dunno, there are off the top of my head. There was other stuff that I'm like "Okay, it's just her style and not mine" and I didn't mind. But these are basically all the sort of... "DJ Tricks" to try to get people to dance that they play any time they do their thing. And seriously they can stop, anytime.
I'm sure people know the names of these songs better than me or something? Feel free to chime in.

The only one of those songs played at my wedding was the Chicken Dance, and that's because I specifically requested it on behalf of my mom.

Every time I go to a wedding, they play something terrible, like "I like Big Butts" (whatever that song is called). Why would you play that at a wedding?

Excitemike
06-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Bad DJ's. Sort of. It works like this: They have to play to a wide variety of people. At any given catered event you have a range of people from little kids to the extremely old. The DJ's job is to keep people entertained while the catering staff prepare food and clean tables, etc. So they try to get people to dance and the only way to do that is to play the most palatable and broadly popular music available. Any group dance music is a must; Electric Slide, Macarena, Achey Breaky Heart (obviously these will vary by region). Then there are songs with the words "celebration" or "party" or some variant. It seems ridiculous but people need to be reminded they are at a party. Love Shack, 1999, Celebrate, We Are Family and so on. If it's a wedding you need love songs. Only the most saccharine Billboard Top 40 will do when you have an audience that is so diverse. This is what keeps Celene Dion in croissants, and can easily become the most noxious weapon in a DJ's arsenal. If it's a Bar mitzvah or graduation party they are going to have a lot more leeway, and sweet 16's are a DJ's wet dream. There will be at least a few sappy, low tempo songs. These are the party-goers aural cue that the catering staff needs to clean up and go home. That's What Friends Are For is a staple, and if the last song is not something by Frank Sinatra you should really just punch the DJ in the kidneys on your way out.

My grandparents and then my mother used to run a catering business so I have seen a lot of DJ's in my time. Most of them are pretty bad, but a good one will know how to work the crowd and can adapt his play-list as needed. If I can afford it I'd rather get a live band for my wedding, even if it means getting chamber music. Because if I hear the chicken dance or the song from Titanic at my wedding it will give me a serious frowny face.

Red Hedgehog
06-17-2007, 01:54 AM
This thread interests me a lot because I just DJed a wedding last week. M. Nicolai pretty much hit the nail on the head in that you want to have songs that people know and can dance to. That said, I can't recall any wedding that I've been to that had the hokey pokey, electric slide, macarena, or achy breaky heart (okay, maybe that last one).

Since the wedding I DJed was a relatively small one and I was a good friend of the groom's, I tried to cull suggestions from his friends and his fiance's friends. It is pretty lazy to do overdone songs (Love Shack, Celebration, and Baby Got Back are big ones) but the thing is that these songs are played so much because people enjoy hearing them - even if it is just a comfort thing. I started off the fast dances with C&C Music Factory's Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) and the Beatles' Twist and Shout because people are familiar with them, they have generally positive feelings about them, and they will get them out on the dance floor. The other songs included in the mix were suggestions from the groom, his friends, and the bride (mostly 90s music with a little bit of modern hip-hip, R&B, and country). I also had a list of all my songs and a sheet where people could put down requests which made people feel happier.

And for Chu, Haddaway's What is Love was played at the wedding. It was a request of the groom.

mr_bungle700
06-17-2007, 02:03 AM
Yeah, see, I can understand that. I mean, a wedding is a collection of all kinds of different people with many different interests, and it's going to be hard to get them out on the dance floor with stuff none of them recognize.

I'm still going with the "my girl and I love this music and we don't care if you don't because this is our wedding dammit" approach to my wedding though.

Sanagi
06-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Here's what I imagine for my eventual future wedding: Big suit a la David Byrne. Music to match. (Stop making sense...)

Jeanie
06-17-2007, 04:39 AM
What's the point of marrying.

"The divorce rate in America for first marriage, vs second or third marriage
50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second and 74% of third marriages end in divorce, according to Jennifer Baker of the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology in Springfield, Missouri.

Source: http://www.divorcerate.org/

It's not the divorce part of marring that scares me. What they don't mention is how the other half of marriages end.

DEATH

nadia
06-17-2007, 07:06 AM
I don't know how many of you had Jewish friends growing up, but you were guaranteed to have to sit through a badly-edited video montage set to "Forever Young" come Bar Mitzvah time.

Hmmm, my brother's wedding is coming up in less than a month. I'll be listening carefully. He used to DJ at clubs and he's friends with Luke Fair (http://www.lukefair.com) so he has no excuse for bad music.

upupdowndown
06-17-2007, 07:49 AM
YMCA's always really, really puzzled me as a wedding song choice. I always want to grab the mike and say, "Y'all do know that this song is about anonymous gay sex at the Y, right? Do you still feel like dancing? Huh? DO YOU?!" Seriously. I think it may be a secret plot by my people to make newlyweds look ridiculous.

sraymonds
06-17-2007, 07:59 AM
People just love songs that make everyone look the fool at the same time. I do feel weird that my choir sang this song to a bunch of elementary school kids years ago.

Red Hedgehog
06-17-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't know how many of you had Jewish friends growing up, but you were guaranteed to have to sit through a badly-edited video montage set to "Forever Young" come Bar Mitzvah time.

I seem to remember some song choices other than "Forever Young" but oh yes there were badly edited montages. The Bar Mitzvah year was pretty awesome, actually. My first slow dance with a girl and first kiss were both at Bar Mitzvah parties. I wonder if the DJ service Purple Haze is still around and they seemed to do have of the Bar Mitzvah parties that I went to.

sraymonds
06-21-2007, 05:02 AM
I wonder if anyone would mind if I wanted people to Do the Necronomicon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUxEY-IwpeA) at my wedding reception.