PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube Mario Sports games - awesome or tard-harshin'?

JohnB
06-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I just picked up Mario Superstar Baseball for the GCN, and I'm finding it to be a hell of a lot of fun (although learning batting for every single damn character is pretty annoying). I've heard a ton of praise for Mario Strikers and Mario Power Tennis, though internet scuttlebutt seems to say the latter is now out of print and ebay prices back this up. Is it worth it to pick up the others? Are they worthwhile play for a single player? (I have a hard time getting my wife to play any video games period, and don't often have friends over because of my crazy job hours.) Or, are these just a good alternative to, say, the Mario Party games, and meant to simply be enjoyed as great multiplayer fare, with single player as a cheap afterthought. Thanks for the input, guys.

Torgo
06-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Mario Sports, to my knowledge, has a pretty consistent track record of excellence. I've played few of them myself, however. I'm looking forward to Strikers Charged next month.

TheSL
06-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Mario Tennis on N64 was leagues better than the Gamecube game for two major reasons:

1. NO GAME BREAKING SUPER MOVES
2. You could import your custom character from the Gameboy version of the game.

JohnB
06-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I've heard that those power moves on GCN Tennis are terrible. They can also be turned off, I believe. That being said, is it worth tracking down and spending fifty bucks on? I mean, I do like Tennis games, but I still have a Dreamcast and could fire up Virtual Tennis if I really wanted to.

alexb
06-18-2007, 11:55 AM
The cartoon at the beginning of Tennis is superior to the ones in Golf and Baseball, though.

TheSL
06-18-2007, 11:57 AM
I'd just stick with Virtua Tennis then unless the Mario characters really mean that much to you. You can't turn off the special moves in the actual tournament play if I recall correctly(only exhibition) and they are really aggravating. Oh, and I only paid $35 for the thing when it was first released, so I couldn't see spending $50 on it now.

Jeanie
06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
My friends and I have killed many a fun hour on Mario Power Tennis. I'd definately recommend that one. Personally the super moves didn't bother me too much, the thrill of a last second save to keep the volly going added to our fun.

Haven't tried the others, but I'll definately pick up Strikers Charged for the Wii when it comes out based on what I heard

poetfox
06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Considering how many hours of my life I have wasted playing various versions of Mario Golf (I have 2 Level 99 characters in the original for GBC), it definately gets my seal of approval, especially the portable ones. If you've played, say, Hot Shots Golf, it's very similar, though the courses get a little crazier, from my experience. It's a ton of fun.
Tennis I've had a blast with, too, but the pros and cons of that have been pretty well stated here.

Calorie Mate
06-18-2007, 02:02 PM
I found most Mario Sports titles of the GCN generation to be too geared toward the ADHD crowd. I definitely preferred the N64 golf and tennis better; those versions managed to bring the Mario charm to their respective sports, without having to add super moves and screen-filling explosions every 5 seconds.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-18-2007, 02:05 PM
I hate sports games.

I don't even like Mega Man Soccer.

That said, I loved Mario Golf, Mario Power Tennis, and Super Mario Strikers. (Wii Sports is cool, too.) I admit, though, that I never got to play the N64 versions of any of it.

Mario Superstar Baseball, I've not spent enough time with, so no comment, except batting was a pain.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

ProfessorS
06-18-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't even like Mega Man Soccer.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

NOBODY likes Mega Man Soccer

Torgo
06-18-2007, 03:35 PM
*cough* (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3159344)

Apparently someone must.

reibeatall
06-18-2007, 03:40 PM
NOBODY likes Mega Man Soccer

HEY! Just because the game's not complete, and the controls are all wonky, doesn't mean it's not fun!

Calorie Mate
06-18-2007, 06:24 PM
I like Mega Man Soccer for the concept alone.

alexb
06-18-2007, 06:28 PM
I like it for the remixed music.

JohnB
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I like it because it has less calories than the leading brand!

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I liked it at the time because:

1) Classic Mega Man characters in 16-bit!

2) Cutscenes with Rock out of his armor!

3) Who the fuck is Enker?! Cool!

(My Dad refused to let me have a GB at the time, and even then, MMiDWR wasn't that good play-wise)

4) Playable Robot Masters!

And such. All of which have lost their novel appeal now.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

ArugulaZ
06-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Wait, I thought tard harshin' WAS awesome!

JR

Potato
06-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Don't pay $50 for Tennis, try to find it used somewhere. It's a good game, but it doesn't tower over the other Mario sports games, so don't pay a premium for it.

Golf is also a lot of fun. It was one of the first games I bought for my GameCube and I still pop it into the Wii when the mood strikes me.

JohnB
06-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Wait, I thought tard harshin' WAS awesome!

Erm, well, I meant deserving of or needing to be tard-harshin'. That's the ticket.

thomp538
06-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Two words: Mario Golf

EDIT: Might I add: Mario Tennis
EDIT: N64 games, never played the GCN versions
EDIT: Did they make GCN versions of those titles?

JohnB
06-18-2007, 08:58 PM
In fact they did. Both!

BEAT
06-18-2007, 09:13 PM
I've played a few of them. Most of them are great fun, provided you have people to play them with.

Same deal as halo really.

chocogaz
06-19-2007, 07:11 AM
I really enjoyed what I played of Mario Tennis and Golf. Soccer was okay but I think I'll like the new version more. Never tried the baseball.

Excitemike
06-19-2007, 07:49 AM
I found most Mario Sports titles of the GCN generation to be too geared toward the ADHD crowd.

Sold!

What were we talking about?

yakkotank
06-19-2007, 09:00 AM
2. You could import your custom character from the Gameboy version of the game.

Agreed. After lots of leveling up, my character's serves would send other characters flying backwards through time.

Sandy
06-19-2007, 12:38 PM
2 player Mario Golf on the Cube is loads of fun. Can't wait for a Wii version of that franchise.

Calorie Mate
06-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Mario Golf on N64 is still the best golf game to date. I love it, and generally hate most other golf games.

ShakeWell
06-19-2007, 07:35 PM
The job that Namco did on Baseball kind of shames Strikers. The new one looks like it'll be better, but there're really limited characters, and all your support characters (read: not your captain) are identical. Plus, everyone's goalie is a Klaptrap. Tennis was meh, in my opinion. Baseball is where it's at for Mario sports games... at least until Mario & Sonic at the Olympics comes out!