PDA

View Full Version : FINAL FANTASY X POWERSTONE GO! FF: Dissidia Trailer

djSyndrome
06-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Don't have a Japanese Square-Enix account? Those crazy French have ripped (http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads7899_video-dissidia-final-fantasy.html) the new Dissidia trailer for your pleasure.

reibeatall
06-19-2007, 08:56 AM
The Kuja v. Zidane fight was pretty cool, but that's only because I'm a fan of IX.

Kolbe
06-19-2007, 09:07 AM
The Kuja v. Zidane fight was pretty cool, but that's only because I'm a fan of IX.

I love FFIX too, and I was hoping that it wouldn't be mixed up into Square's new policy (the sequel-spinoff-remake-until-your-head-explodes policy), but I was too naive.

Parish
06-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Come back, Sakaguchi, all is forgiven :(

JCDenton
06-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Seems somewhat interesting, but I have very little faith that Square-Enix can make it good.

Kolbe
06-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Nah. I wouldn't return If I were him. The damage is done and it's deep.

And watching the trailer, is just as I expected: Kingdom Hearts II "Battle" system in a fighting game. That is, watching an over-the-top action scene while pressing buttons.

Kirin
06-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Gosh. They're putting in Sephiroth. How shocking.

The one thing in this trailer that actually made me smile, though, was just before that - when it recreated the FF1 Amano logo with the Fighter's pose.

tungwene
06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Zidane's seiyuu sounds really girly. Even Kuja's sounds manlier than him and that's just sad. The battles look like KH only you get to actually control the FF characters instead of them tagging along to help you out. How utterly thrilling. Right.

Peach
06-19-2007, 10:45 AM
People get down on Nomura alot, but he actually respects Amano's designs when he adapts them for a game. Zidane's model in the trailer actually looks closer to Amano's paintings than the one from FFIX IMO.

Also: I shudder to think how many people were disappointed with the trailer till they saw Sephiroth.

TheSL
06-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Also: I shudder to think how many people were disappointed with the trailer till they saw Sephiroth.

I was more disappointed with it when I saw Sephiroth.

alexb
06-19-2007, 11:23 AM
People get down on Nomura alot, but he actually respects Amano's designs when he adapts them for a game. Zidane's model in the trailer actually looks closer to Amano's paintings than the one from FFIX IMO.

Amano didn't design Zidane. Shuko Murase did. Amano only did promotional art of the characters.

Kolbe
06-19-2007, 11:23 AM
That was part of the game? I thought they were promoting Advent Children... again.

ecchi squirrel
06-19-2007, 11:28 AM
This game looks like it'll be about as fun as cancer.

poetfox
06-19-2007, 11:31 AM
It was some pretty visuals, most definately. I am once again struck hard with the question of "Why the hell is this on PSP?"

Psyael
06-19-2007, 11:39 AM
So this means I can have Yuna beating up Sephiroth? Okay then....

philliam
06-19-2007, 11:59 AM
I was more disappointed with it when I saw Sephiroth.

I actually rolled my eyes when I saw him walk through the flames.

Parish
06-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I actually rolled my eyes when I saw him walk through the flames.
"Please please let that be Garland coming out of the flames in homage to Sephiroth because that would be kind of oh it's actually just Sephiroth never mind how trite."

Peach
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Amano didn't design Zidane. Shuko Murase did. Amano only did promotional art of the characters.

Oops, I was under the impression that Amano did the characters in FFIX. Part of the whole "homage" aspect of the game. I stand corrected.

thomp538
06-19-2007, 12:28 PM
So let me get this straight. Super Smash Brothers, but Final Fantasy and its on PSP? Thats too bad.

TheSL
06-19-2007, 12:29 PM
So let me get this straight. Super Smash Brothers, but Final Fantasy and its on PSP? Thats too bad.

Also 1 on 1 and probably without internet play.

Excitemike
06-19-2007, 12:40 PM

They could always port it to the Wii.

thomp538
06-19-2007, 12:54 PM
They could always port it to the Wii.
FUCK YEAH!!!!

Actually I am not much for those kinds of games. Looking forward to FFCC though and Blue Dragon for the consoles I do happen to own

Kolbe
06-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Somebody has to stop Nomura. Now is FF's Garland and FFIX's Zidane, then he'll remake Chrono Trigger, then God of War, then Watchmen, then Casablanca.

And Rick Blaine can't be metrosexual!

Coinspinner
06-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Zidane is Amano's fault. His design was so superior to Murase's that Nomura had to copy it! :p

MetManMas
06-19-2007, 02:31 PM
The trailer looks interesting save the ending, but I hope they don't try to put some kind of storyline to this cross-Final Fantasy fighter.....although I know they probably will.

As far as the game goes, I might garner some more interest in the title if Gilgamesh appears in the final version of the game as a (playable) fighter.

Excitemike
06-19-2007, 03:32 PM
You guys are stone cold cynics. This game looks fun.

Why is it on the PSP? Does the PSP have a higher install base than PS3 or 360? I don't know why, I'm just glad somebody is supporting it.

Jeanie
06-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm might have bought it if it was ported to another system (PS2 seems to catch a few ports from the PSP), but then I saw Sephenroth.

To use the Parish scoring system, Thumbs down.

Maggie
06-19-2007, 03:50 PM
*Sigh* I used to think Sephiroth was a pretty cool villain, but I am just so ridiculously sick of him.

I had thought it was going to be Chaos coming out of the flames, also, and I also rolled my eyes when it turned out to be Sephiroth.

I would've been much more impressed if it had been someone cool like Vayne in his scary clockwork Bahamut form or something, but noooo, God forbid we don't stick Sephiroth in there.

Coinspinner
06-19-2007, 06:06 PM
I was expecting something less like a string of QTEs. Eh, whatever, it's not like I even own a PSP. It probably won't feature characters I like, but certain combinations of characters could make me... look forward to emulating it in 5 years. =/

Cecil and Kain
Galuf and Gilgamesh
Celes and Ultros
Laguna and Gilgamesh
Ramza and Delita
Auron and Jecht
Gilgamesh and Zeid
Balthier and Ci... and Gilgamesh again.

But I expect...

WoL & Garland
Firionel & Paramekia
The one with the huge buckles and some other guy.
Cecil and Golbez
Bartz and Exdeath
Locke and Kefka
Cloud and Sephiroth
Squall and Seifer
Zidane and Kuja
Tidus and Seymore

locit
06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
That is, watching an over-the-top action scene while pressing a button.

Fix'd!

Maggie
06-19-2007, 07:23 PM
See, now what would win me over is if the final boss characters could transform into their final forms in battle. It'd be pretty cool flying through the air as, um, Butz... and hacking away at a giant tree monster Exdeath. Even Sephiroth might be interesting in this fashion.

Really doubt it, though.

Torgo
06-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm kinda surprised that everyone is behaving as if it wasn't going to be Sephy at the end. I mean, c'mon...

As I've said before, at least I'll be able to beat him up with Kain or *insert FFVI character*. That'll make it all worth it.

Zef
06-19-2007, 10:47 PM
And watching the trailer, is just as I expected: Kingdom Hearts II "Battle" system in a fighting game. That is, watching an over-the-top action scene while pressing buttons.

Yep, the level design (textures and all) and the character models use the KH engine, and the battle style ripped off KH2 down to the last detail. I SWEAR Kuja used Sora's Aerial Recovery, silver halo and all. The Warrior of Light and Garland also dashed around in mid-air very much like Final Form Sora and Xemnas (the Warrior's multi-sword attack in particular was very reminiscent of some of the Org. XIII bosses' specials.) Then there's something about the WoL's FMV model that reminds me too much of the hidden video in KH2: Final Mix+. The hair and lighting, maybe?

Seph himself looks too tired to even put up an earnest appearance. He's become Megaman X6's Sigma, showing up just because it's expected. If that had been Chaos or "God of Magic" Kefka coming out of that lava, I would've forgotten all my other quibbles about the game and signed up for it right away. There's still a chance for it to convince me, though, if it lets me reenact a full-out über-Monk brawl between Yang, Sabin, and either Tifa or Zell.

EDIT:

See, now what would win me over is if the final boss characters could transform into their final forms in battle. It'd be pretty cool flying through the air as, um, Butz... and hacking away at a giant tree monster Exdeath. Even Sephiroth might be interesting in this fashion.

Really doubt it, though.
Oh, I'd be ALL over that. It'd be like something out of Shadow of the Colossus, especially with the bigger end bosses --Chaos, Cloud of Darkness (don't snigger, it's a tough cookie even with all four Ribbons,) Exdeath, and Kefka's multi-tier transformations. Sadly, seeing as how this seems to be a simple one-on-one brawler with regular-sized characters, I don't think Squex even considered it.

Kolbe
06-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Nah. Everyone knows that the Final Boss will be Yoichi Wada, and you have to kill him to prevent more stupid spin-offs and remakes, and in doing so, return Final Fantasy to its former glory. But just when you think it's over, the REAL BOSS appears: Tetsuya Nomura, who attacks using his fanboys as both weapons and shields.

Alastor
06-19-2007, 11:19 PM
I believe the choice to release this game on PSP was made out of arrogance.

Square: We are so certain that this game will sell, that we will purposely handicap its potential by keeping it on a platform with a limited userbase. Also, Crisis Core will be out soon, we promise!

I can already smell the fans dissecting the storyline of this FF masturbathon.

Peach
06-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Nah. Everyone knows that the Final Boss will be Yoichi Wada, and you have to kill him to prevent more stupid spin-offs and remakes, and in doing so, return Final Fantasy to its former glory. But just when you think it's over, the REAL BOSS appears: Tetsuya Nomura, who attacks using his fanboys as both weapons and shields.
Break Wada's claw and you unlock the secret Akitoshi Kawazu stage. Don't worry, though - every time he hits your character, your maximum health goes up.

Square: We are so certain that this game will sell, that we will purposely handicap its potential by keeping it on a platform with a limited userbase. Also, Crisis Core will be out soon, we promise!
Crisis Core and Dissidea being on the PSP is pretty easy to explain. Crisis Core started development when people thought Sony was going to win the portable war. Dissidea doesn't have the same excuse, but I guess Nomura really likes his Kingdom Hearts engine.

Positronic Brain
06-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Had I known when I was sixteen that "shovelware" and "Final Fantasy" would be pronounced in the same context... Well, I don't know what I'd done, but I'm sure it would involve me being very sad :(

Suddenly, I wonder if Sephiroth being in anything is one of the new rules in Square. Have all those FFVII spin-offs sold that well to justify his walking out of th eflames in every single game trailer? Seriously - at this point, if you told me that Vayne was replaced with Sephiroth in FFXII International I wouldn't even blink.

djSyndrome
06-20-2007, 12:16 AM
I believe the choice to release this game on PSP was made out of arrogance.

The PSP has double the 'userbase' of the Xbox 360, and triple that of the Wii.

Whoops, there went your theory.

alexb
06-20-2007, 12:21 AM
And half that of the DS.

djSyndrome
06-20-2007, 12:34 AM
And half that of the DS.

Can you really see this game on the DS? It looks like shit as it is. Now halve the resolution and remove most 3D effects, and, well, you get where I'm going with this.

Positronic Brain
06-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Can you really see this game on the DS? It looks like shit as it is.

He has a point. The main selling point of this game - besides the FF crossover - is the eye candy. I do wonder why they didn't make this an online game for the PS2, though. Maybe PSP development is cheaper?

alexb
06-20-2007, 01:30 AM
PSP development isn't really any cheaper than PS2. And besides, it may look better, but if people don't have a PSP, they can't play it regardless. It should have been on PS2. It's that simple.

tungwene
06-20-2007, 09:22 AM
PSP development isn't really any cheaper than PS2. And besides, it may look better, but if people don't have a PSP, they can't play it regardless. It should have been on PS2. It's that simple.I dunno, it feels weird to announce a brand new game for a last-gen console half a year after the PS3 launch. So they release it on the system closest to the PS2 that Sony will let them put it on?

TheSL
06-20-2007, 09:42 AM
...Expected Characters...

Well, I would imagine Setzer would be included with the FFVI characters since he's one of Nomura's characters.

Stephen
06-20-2007, 09:45 AM
I say there's a 50/50 chance this will be worse than Ehrgeiz.

Kolbe
06-20-2007, 09:59 AM
The sad thing about a game like this is that, no matter how much it sucks, it will sell a lot of copies.

Vahn16
06-20-2007, 01:02 PM
The only way it could sell more is if there were Dragon Quest characters in it. Slime vs. Sephiroth GO!

I think this game could be fun if it were more Powerstone and less Kingdom Hearts. Is there going to be any crazy items to use on each other? If it's just straight-out battles (with button-mashing cut scenes!), then it's going to get boring fast.

thomp538
06-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Wait, so is there a story involved or is it pretty much just a fighting game? :confused:

philliam
06-20-2007, 01:20 PM
the story is going to be like a crisis of infinite earths thing

Zef
06-20-2007, 01:50 PM
So then, Cloud will punch a hole in reality and retcon everyone's origin story?

Alastor
06-20-2007, 10:06 PM
The PSP has double the 'userbase' of the Xbox 360, and triple that of the Wii.

Whoops, there went your theory.

Touche good sir.

I'm just upset about seeing characters from my favorite FFs (IX, and presumably VI) receive the Nomura treatment. Sephiroth's presence alone tells me the characters will be about as balanced as those in Sonic R. Well, maybe not....

Psyael
06-21-2007, 12:43 AM
You realize that Amano's original character drawings are often frillier and more feminine than what ends up in the final product, right?

Squall
06-21-2007, 12:47 AM
I think this game could be fun if it were more Powerstone and less Kingdom Hearts. Is there going to be any crazy items to use on each other? If it's just straight-out battles (with button-mashing cut scenes!), then it's going to get boring fast.

What I think you meant to say was more Powerstone 2 and less Powerstone 1.

Kolbe
06-21-2007, 08:12 AM
You realize that Amano's original character drawings are often frillier and more feminine than what ends up in the final product, right?

The difference being, perhaps, that Amano is honest with his work. He's no good drawer, and he knows it, but he is passionate about his art.

Nomura, on the other hand seems to do what his fans expect him to do (zippers!), and in doing so, get more money. If he ever was a real artist, he's not anymore, I believe.

Peach
06-21-2007, 09:20 AM
I've never actually seen a non-character illustration by Nomura, aside from Kingdom Heart's cover. I guess he doesn't like, or isn't good at, rendering backgrounds and action. He's definitely more of a "designer", producing practical illustrations for programmers to adapt flawlessly. To his credit, since PS2 era, all of his illustrations have made the transition to game models pretty much perfectly, a distinction that Amano can't claim, and probably never will.

That being said, I still find most of Nomura's designs garish and ridiculous. His technique's fine, though, and if he toned it down, I think he could produce some fine characters. He does need to unconditionally stop directing, however.

Kolbe
06-21-2007, 09:40 AM
He does need to unconditionally stop directing, however.

Agreed. Also, he can't do a cohesive story. Should stop doing that too.

Alastor
06-22-2007, 12:10 AM
A little something from EDGE Magazine in the UK:

EDGE: How is FFXIII going to evolve after the revolution in FFXII?

Tetsuya Nomura: Well I wouldn't really call XII a revolution. The team basically evolved off FFXI. What we are doing is different but also the same. We will have seamless battles like FFXI and FFXII but the way battles in XIII will work will be totally different. What we are doing will have been impossible for the XII team to do on PS2.

EDGE: So it still keeps the seamless battles?

Tetsuya Nomura: Yes.

EDGE: What about the ADB (Active Dimension Battle) system of XII?

Tetsuya Nomura: There is a huge change happening there. It has an ATB (Active Time Battle) system now but it will work completely different to how ATB has worked before. It will still be seamless like FFXII though. Exploration and Battles will happen on the same field.

EDGE: So like an ATDB (Active Time Dimension Battle) system?

Tetsuya Nomura: I wouldn't even call it that. When you play the game there will be many other words you may need to add to ATDB to sum up the battle system.

EDGE: The character Lightning is meant to be a female Cloud but she also reminds us a bit of Ashe as well. Were you inspired by Akihiko Yoshida's designs?

Tetsuya Nomura: You're not the first who has said this. Well I like the design of Ashe. So maybe I added elements of Ashe to Lightning in my own style without knowing. But I was mainly aiming for a female Cloud but in a unique way.

I honestly don't know where to start.

Thinaran
06-22-2007, 04:34 AM
Female ... Cloud?

*cries*

edit: here
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Lightning_FF13.jpg

Zef
06-22-2007, 07:29 AM
I honestly don't know where to start.

Me neither. I don't know if it's because of the translation, but his statements are convoluted and incoherent, and that's when they don't contradict themselves. It's almost as if he's trying to master the Mexican art of the Cantinfleado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantinflas#Impact): to make your speech as overwrought and complicated as you possibly can to say absolutely nothing at all.

The bit about the "female Cloud," which came up when the character was first revealed, is just the ultimate proof that the well has run dry. All I can say is, I'm looking forward to the day when his next protagonist is named "Typhoon" or maybe even "Gust."

Peach
06-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Female Cloud in a game directed by the man that brought us Final Fantasy X-2: Girls Night Out? Where do I sign?!

Also: how do we know it's not just a dude in drag? This is Cloud we're talking about here...

Zef
06-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Also: how do we know it's not just a dude in drag? This is Cloud we're talking about here...

http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/ff7-6-027.jpg

Kolbe
06-22-2007, 08:31 AM
It's almost as if he's trying to master the Mexican art of the Cantinfleado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantinflas#Impact)

No one can do that like Cantinflas!

And, wasn't Cloud a woman already? Maybe the original name was Claudia.

Psyael
06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
I can live with female Cloud, so long as I don't have to see female Seph. Actually, just Seph appearing in a game is pretty much a no-buy from me anymore.

Mister Toups
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
When you play the game there will be many other words you may need to add to ATDB to sum up the battle system.

no no no no no no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Coinspinner
06-22-2007, 02:00 PM
no no no no no no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Why "no"?

Mister Toups
06-22-2007, 03:07 PM
That's marketingthink in action, man.

XerdoPwerko
06-22-2007, 04:33 PM
then he'll remake Chrono Trigger, then God of War, then Watchmen, then Casablanca.

And Rick Blaine can't be metrosexual!

May your words never reach his ears... I'm not going to sleep tonight, that's for sure...

Fer
06-23-2007, 07:29 PM
So.. will Kefka be the Shang Tsung of this game?