PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie Profile 2:Silmeria

nathan
06-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I finally got around to playing this the other day, and I must say it's fantastic. I wanted to start a thread to see if anyone else is playing through or have been putting off playing it. I feel it got passed over because it came out a scant few weeks before Final Fantasy XII. Talk about a kiss of death from Square Enix.

And quite frankly, I would rather get some discovery information and observations from you guys instead of elsewhere because the Etrian Odyssey thread has been helping me out a lot. Valkyrie Profile 2 seems to have a lot of item searching and combination building also with very threadbare tutorials. Plus the item gathering is pretty random. I do find it interesting though how you can break off different body parts of enemies during combat to gain different items but it is enough to make a completist go mad. I almost get the feeling I'm missing something whenever I move to a new area and this game isn't too friendly about visiting past dungeons.

But anyway, I hope I'm not the only one here to have played this. If it's sitting in your unplayed pile, maybe this is a good time to give it a chance. It is a slow summer after all. I do find this game similar to Odin Sphere, but I seem to be enjoying this a lot more. And if this thread sinks, then ok. It really is a good game though. Maybe pick one up for $30 before it goes for inflated prices on eBay in a year or two.

alexb
06-19-2007, 11:18 AM
I like Valkyrie Profile 2, but it's too easy for battles to go sour in a single turn. Combine that will very infrequent save points, and it gets frustrating. Still, I highly recommend it.

nathan
06-19-2007, 11:58 AM
The difficulty spike from dungeon to dungeon is quite high but that is what keeps drawing me in. You can either grind for an hour or two or you can customize your four person party in limitless ways. Even the 'ghosts' that you can draw from items in a dungeon to join your party is randomly selected, and I have a feeling that each playthrough will be different.

But the battles are still requiring practice on my part. The whole splitting up the party thing for multiple assaults is a little cumbersome, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. At the very least, it prevents them from getting boring. The problem of a party member getting trapped behind something is irritating though.

However I do like how the save points are only at the beginning of a level, in an inn and right before a boss. It's very old-school and requires planning.

Maggie
06-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I really love this game. I never did end up using the "Split the party up" thing except for maybe once on the dragon boss. Things probably would've been a lot easier if I had, I guess.

There's a bit of grinding you have to do, but once you're past that, the game sort of becomes a breeze. Awesome villain, too.

SkywardShadow
06-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I adore this game as well. I really need to get back around to it! I get distracted from one game to another too easily these days...

Crazy Larry
06-19-2007, 03:53 PM
I think I got to the last dungeon before the last chapter and just kind of lost all interest in this game. The story kind of lost steam after the first five to ten hours it seemed. Throwing Lezard in as a character was great though. The original is all kinds of awesome though.

Coinspinner
06-19-2007, 06:13 PM
How long is the intro?

alexb
06-19-2007, 06:26 PM
About 2 hours, like any tri-Ace game.