PDA

View Full Version : FC11 Alt: Wonder Boy in Monster World/Dynastic Hero

Parish
12-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Sega/Hudson | Genesis/Turbo Duo | Action | 1992

Hey kids! It's the exact same game, available in two different variants on the Virtual Console. So you should be able to play one of them or the other. Let's discussing this proto-Metroidvania adventure.

ArugulaZ
12-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Good call! I remember this one fondly from my youth. It was the closest thing we Genesis owners had to The Legend of Zelda until Crusader of Centy was released. I haven't downloaded any Virtual Console games in a while... maybe this will be the next one I get.

SlimJimm
12-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Im not at home, but from what I remember I am already stuck, and Im only a few minutes into the game. I went through the first town and talked to the elf lady there. She gave me a fairy helper and I had to go into some castle in the woods. Once inside I cant find anywhere to go, there are Dead Ends everywhere!

poetfox
12-03-2007, 10:22 AM
That first bit really is one of the more hard-to-figure-out points in the game... you need to go back to town and get the ocarina to open the doors, but it's not really all that clear.
I really enjoyed this game quite a lot, even if I Walkthrough-ed every time I got confused. (I thought this was a good plan in my opinion, as it saved me a lot of frustration in 3 key parts of the game which totally would have gotten me to put the game down if I didn't look up the solutions, which I won't get into.) We'll see how my week goes, I might try to play through it again with you all. If you haven't played it, though, I completely suggest it.

SamuelMarston
12-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Hey! I have this game! I can participate without spending my Christmas shopping money, and I'm happier for it.

Mr. Sensible
12-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Man, the controls in this game are looooose. But it's so cute!

Eusis
12-03-2007, 08:36 PM
I'd been waiting until either I cleared Dragon's Curse or the Fun Club entry went up for this. Since I kinda lost interest in DC, this prompted me to finally start playing the game. I got up to the village, I got this far on GameTap but when I originally downloaded it on the VC I died on the way there.

spineshark
12-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I have the Sega Ages Monster World collection so after I figured out which one this is (stupid name changes) I went ahead and beat the first cave. I'm liking it so far, although the next part is quite a bit more difficult. It's interesting and endearing, although I'm disappointed that the sound isn't more of the distinctive Genesis type.

estragon
12-04-2007, 03:34 AM
So, I just got to Liliput, and I'm loving this. It's simple, fast paced, and fun.

I remember seeing this at a friend's hosue in 4th grade or so and really wanting to play it, but never really being able to (I was an SNES kid). Shockingly, so far it's living up to the nostalgia I built up around playing this for 10 or 20 minutes when I was 11 years old.

Makkara
12-04-2007, 03:55 AM
Yeah, this game has held up remarkably well for a game that's more than 15 years old. I played it for the first time back in May, when it was originally released on VC, and it's one of the better games I've played this year.

Sami
12-04-2007, 04:11 AM
Played this in the summer, great fun.

estragon
12-04-2007, 05:54 AM
So, was there any way for me to have learned the order of the switches you have to step on in the pyradmid, or is this just early 16-bit trial and error business? It's not a huge deal, becasue they reset when you leave the room, but I think this was the first time I felt a (very brief) bit of frustration with this game.

nathan
12-04-2007, 07:19 AM
So, was there any way for me to have learned the order of the switches you have to step on in the pyradmid, or is this just early 16-bit trial and error business? It's not a huge deal, becasue they reset when you leave the room, but I think this was the first time I felt a (very brief) bit of frustration with this game.
Wait until you get to the last stage. *sigh*

That was my only complaint against this game. Most of the puzzles are of the trial and error sort. It can lead to extreme frustration at times and will question your will to live. But it all seemed worth it when I got to the end.

Mightyblue
12-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Okay, some notes. For Monster World at least, if you press Up while hitting the attack button with a spear equipped you'll do a blocking motion as long as you keep hitting attack while holding up. It's also worth it to harvest snakes for gold for the leather boots in the beginning, since they increase your speed noticeably.

cartman414
12-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Crazy part was that Sega also did a conversion of the game for the Sega Master System.

The only real downer was getting the ocarina parts right.

Excitemike
12-04-2007, 07:02 PM
I got the Dynastic Hero version because I hate my eyes. The OP song is nice, but I thought it would have been more up-tempo. I like the Wonder Boy controls, but I wish there was the occasional skateboard. I guess you shouldn't be moving so fast when your weapon range is so short.

SamuelMarston
12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm really liking the game so far, pretty much like I remember from childhood. Although, I seem to remember the Ocarina working differently then... I don't recall having to wait through text to start playing notes.

Hmm... I was playing it on the Genesis... were there multiple US versions?

estragon
12-05-2007, 08:17 AM
1) Getting to Poisedon was . . . long. Comparatively at least. I wonder if this will be an exception or if it gets a lot more difficult from here on out.

2) What's the deal with those chests that seem to be completely unnaccessable at the bottom of the ocean?

3) What's up with magic in this game? (I don't really know what my question is here, but I feel like I'm not doing it right. Or maybe I'm just thinking too hard about it, and it just exists to proide extra attack variety or help in sticky situations.)

Makkara
12-05-2007, 08:36 AM
2) What's the deal with those chests that seem to be completely unnaccessable at the bottom of the ocean?

There are invisible doors nearby that get you to them. They're usually in dead ends. Just push up like you would with a normal door.

Dynastic Bird
12-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Just bought this thing.

Haven't gotten far. Just got to the split in the castle...Liking the gameplay at least. And the music is nice- especially after the Ristar soundtrack...

estragon
12-07-2007, 01:37 AM
Uhh, when you get to the Sphinx, immediately check how your buttons work compared to the Genesis. You have to answer some questions, and you have to press the button of your answer right away, or it's wrong. The first time I did this, I tried to select an ansnwer menu style like an idiot, missed all the questions before understanding the controls, and died. It sucked.

So, yeah. Review what is A, B, and C on a genesis controller when you get there.

Also, if you die at the Sphinx, you loose all your gold, instead of just loosing a little bit and getting sent back to the hotel. So, be ready to know what the letters of Genesis buttons are.

Eusis
12-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Got the trident, headed to sea, and got the amulet. I'm liking it but I wish I played this when it originally came out, or at least closer to when it did.

estragon
12-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Whee. I finished.

The most difficult part was clearly the part where you have to jump on those ridiculous vanishing platforms Megaman style, and if you miss you have to fight the obnoxious dragon again. Eventually the dragon gets really easy to kill, but that doesn't make the jumping less frustrating.

Other than that, this was a sweet time.

I also thought the fake out in the ending was hilarious, in a "wow, that's so 16-bit," sort of way.

Now, I'm getting excited for Mario 3, which finally comes to Japan this Tuesday. Hoo-ray!

ArugulaZ
12-10-2007, 03:04 PM
How much longer do we have until this thread is locked? I want to get in a little Monster World action before the music dies.

Excitemike
12-10-2007, 03:40 PM
I just noticed this game is Zelda 2.

Mightyblue
12-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Only fun. And what fun it is! Using a sword is still a bit chancy though, what with the strange swing radius.

Excitemike
12-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it seriously needs a down thrust.

Eusis
12-10-2007, 05:30 PM
May as well make a last post in case this does close tonight. I'm at the ice area now... And damn, for some reason I really love ice places, especially in the 16-bit games. This isn't exactly the best/most interesting designed place of the game, I just like the aesthetics a lot.