PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest: Calorie Mate

Calorie Mate
06-19-2007, 02:39 PM
So, on Sunday I went to the U.S. National Arboretum in DC. For this that don't know, an arboretum is like an outdoor tree museum of sorts; this particular one was a 400 acre forest, but different sections of the forest had different kinds of trees (there were those native to Virginia in one part, for example, while in one section it was a forest more reminiscent of Asia).

Anyway, while I was there I felt like I was in an RPG. Right before the bus pulled into the front gates, I randomly decided to play the opening theme to Dragon Quest VIII (the trumpeting really made the entrance seem far more grand, let me tell you). Then, while listening to the town music, I wandered around the small cluster of buildings that made up the Welcome Center. There were several people milling about, and when I randomly asked one woman for directions near the gate, she gave me a map of the area.

As I turned the last corner on the dirt road befor eheading into the forest, I found a man inside a small shack who called out to me - I kid you not - "It's a hot day! Better buy some supplies before going into the forest!" At this point, with DQ music still playing, I was already thinking I'd stumbled into an RPG somehow, so I took his advice and bought bottled water and a croissant, which I ate about half way through my hike, when I was fatigued.

The most disappointing part was when I was in the middle of the forest and came to a clearing, where I found some guy sitting on a stump. He was short, had a huge beard, and a giant pack on his back. As I said, by this point I was totally in an RPG mindset already, so I was incredibly disappointed when this strange man didn't offer to sell me supplies, give me a hint about the road ahead, or even start a fight with me.

I have to say, though, that my last boss encounter was pretty lame. There was an old man that rode the bus with me to the Arboretum, and I ran into him a couple different times during my hike, though each time we would take different paths and go our seperate ways. (I'd also like to point out here that, if I wandered off the dirt path, my encounter rate with insects was much higher.) Finally, while in the Asian section of the forest, I found in the middle of some trees a small red platform with a Chinese-esque rooftop. I climbed onto it, and could see down this large hill it was sitting on the end of. After taking in the site, I turned to go, but right then the same old man walked up the only steps leading off the platform. I braced myself, stepped forward...and sort of awkwardly stepped around him, as he tried to stand where I had been. Not very exciting, but I won, I think, since I was able to go.

So...er, yeah. I just found it amusing that listening to a Dragon Quest soundtrack while wandering around really changed my whole outlook of the trip, and if even one person here finds this at least moderately amusing, then hey, glad I started the topic.

Excitemike
06-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Traveling the country and then finding the time to post about it? Sounds like you are taking advantage of the job system.

openedsource
06-19-2007, 03:54 PM
As I turned the last corner on the dirt road befor eheading into the forest, I found a man inside a small shack who called out to me - I kid you not - "It's a hot day! Better buy some supplies before going into the forest!" At this point, with DQ music still playing, I was already thinking I'd stumbled into an RPG somehow, so I took his advice and bought bottled water and a croissant, which I ate about half way through my hike, when I was fatigued.

The most disappointing part was when I had to fight all the smiley-faced slimes. They were all pretty low level and hardly offered me any XP.

I have to say, though, that my last boss encounter was pretty lame. There was an old man that rode the bus with me to the Arboretum, and I ran into him a couple different times during my hike, though each time we would take different paths and go our seperate ways. (I'd also like to point out here that, if I wandered off the dirt path, my encounter rate with insects was much higher.)

If you use the net ball, it makes it that much easier to catch them. Oh, wait. Wrong RPG.

Calorie Mate
06-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Traveling the country and then finding the time to post about it? Sounds like you are taking advantage of the job system.

As I've said many times before: The Adventures of Calorie Mate, brought to you by your Federal tax dollars.

If you use the net ball, it makes it that much easier to catch them. Oh, wait. Wrong RPG.

Metapod.

Torgo
06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
As I've said many times before: The Adventures of Calorie Mate, brought to you by your Federal tax dollars.
I'd rather my money go to you then to freeloading illegals. (OH SNAP!)

Regardless, I wholly approve of Calorie Mate's DC rpg adventures.

Peach
06-19-2007, 07:16 PM
It is an RPG! He's in the capital of the EVIL EMPIRE LOLOLOL oh...