PDA

View Full Version : The Dismemberment Plan

ozacrot
06-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Okay, I've sort of wanted to post about these guys for a while (that Favorite Bands thread on TT 2.0 taunted me), but didn't want to come off as The Guy Desperately Burnishing Hipster Credentials. The offhand swipe in the last CT review, though, put me over the edge.

Seriously? Emo? Pretense? (Okay, pretense, but still.)

They're one of the very, very few bands I can think of who've written albums I enjoyed front-to-back without exception (Emergency and I), and as far as I'm concerned, have an absurdly high batting average altogether (even including their first sometimes-unlistenable album!)

Can anybody back me up on this? (Also, has anybody heard the mp3s of their reunion shows, or better yet, gone to either of them?)

Parish
06-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Eh, I only mentioned them because a girl I dated would listen to them (and Karate) when she was sad, so it was the first thing that came to mind.

And listening to vinyl is so pretentious. Which is why I desperately covet a good turntable.

Schmidt
06-19-2007, 07:10 PM
And listening to vinyl is so pretentious.
It is pretentious, but it is better.

Peach
06-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I actually own Travis Morrison's solo album, but not anything by Dismemberment Plan proper. I got the album for Song For the Orca (great song), though there a few other good tracks. I've been meaning to get around to listening to some of Dismemberment Plan's stuff. Any recommendations?

Potato
06-19-2007, 07:28 PM
The Dismemberment Plan is great, by far the best Groundhog Day-inspired band to date.

I actually own Travis Morrison's solo album ...While not bad by any means, I thought it was disappointing in comparison to what came before it.

shivam
06-19-2007, 08:56 PM
i like Dismemberment Plan, having been introduced to them through parish's old girlfriend.

ozacrot
06-20-2007, 01:12 AM
I actually own Travis Morrison's solo album, but not anything by Dismemberment Plan proper. I got the album for Song For the Orca (great song), though there a few other good tracks. I've been meaning to get around to listening to some of Dismemberment Plan's stuff. Any recommendations?

Emergency and I is IMO pretty clearly their high point as a band - it strikes just the right balance between spazz and depth. From there, it's kind of dependent on which sorts of songs you want to hear more of. If you like the longer, more clearly thematic songs like "A Life Of Possibilities", "The City", and "You Are Invited", get Change next. OTOH, if you're more interested in the freakouts and weird time signatures of "Gyroscope", "8 1/2 Minutes", or "I Love A Magician", get the previous album, The Dismemberment Plan Is Terrified.