PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass

doc_marten_abortion
06-20-2007, 05:36 AM
I just booted up my copy of the Japanese version: I'm so F'ing excited.

JohnB
06-20-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm kind of (read: extremely) worried that the use of the stylus for movement, let alone everything else, is going to horribly ruin this game for me. I can't imagine who thought that this was such a brilliant idea. I mean, hell, why even have a d-pad at all on the DS if your going to pull a stunt like this. Zelda is a MAJOR franchise, and purposeful use of screwy controls just makes my heart (cry).

Now, I love Zelda. Favorite game series ever. But I can't stand Ocarina, and try as I might with TP I just got bored playing it right after getting the master sword. There's something about these 3D Zeldas that I just do not like.... but the portable ones are awesome! I loved Minish Cap, with its knowing nods to the history of the series. Link's Awakening may be the best Zelda game ever, or tied with (in my mind) A Link To The Past. I have high hopes for Phantom Hourglass, I really do, but I can't see why I have to use the damn stylus to control Link. Am I off base here? Whining too much?

ProfessorS
06-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Am I off base here? Whining too much?

Nah, I don't think so. The concept of controlling Link with ANYTHING but a D-Pad or Analog Stick and some buttons scares the crap outta me as well.

But on the bright side, it's ZELDA. I don't think they'd screw it up.

And if they do screw up...well it's a shame because the series has such a good track record.

ShakeWell
06-20-2007, 08:58 AM
I've honestly never played any of the portable Zeldas, but I'm super excited about this one. I've got faith that it'll pan out.

If you've played it a bit, how is it, Doc?

doc_marten_abortion
06-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Difficult. But still a lot of fun. The Japanese is unforgiving, so don't jump right into the import thinking that all of your past Zelda experience is going to help you.

Vahn16
06-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm really excited about this game. I loved Windwaker, and with this being its direct sequel and all, I'm hoping for awesome.

When you said difficult, you just meant that the Japanese made it hard, right? You didn't mean that the stylus controls sucked or anything, did you? That's the thing that worries me the most about this game.

doc_marten_abortion
06-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Yes, I only meant that the Japanese made the puzzles a little more difficult than they need to be; kind of like Simon's Quest in English. The stylus control, so far, is impressive. It's smooth and translates well to the game's isometric view. The game, regardless of what some will tell you, actually look wonderful. The facial expressions are just as charming as they were on Wind Waker, as are Link's quirky attack animations--something I missed from Twilight Princess.

Calorie Mate
06-20-2007, 02:08 PM
I think it makes perfect sense to "force" players to use this control scheme. Just as New Super Mario Bros. was Nintendo's way of going, "Hay guys, you don't NEED to make gimmicky games using the touch screen, it's ok to make a great standard game on the platform too," this is Nintendo's way of saying, "Hay guys, you can have stylus-based control schemes that work well in a game proper, not just the minigames." In both situations, I think using a key franchise is a perfect way to really make people pay attention.

JohnB
06-20-2007, 02:39 PM
...and I readily confess that this is a perfect counterargument: only a game with gravity (or gravitas, if you prefer) will be capable of changing the mindset of the masses. I get that. I just wish the hell it weren't Zelda that was the franchise to do it.

doc_marten_abortion
06-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Famitsu gave it 39 out of a possible 40. If that kind of score tickles your nipples, I guess you should be excited.

Eusis
06-20-2007, 03:02 PM
To be honest, I think Zelda was starting to get a bit stale with it's formula, as great as the series is. I think it might've really been the prime candidate for such since it'd not only get attention to that a completely stylus driven, traditional-ish game can be great, but it'd also help reinvigorate a series before it gets a chance to really slide in quality.

doc_marten_abortion
06-20-2007, 03:14 PM
For some reason, Zelda has never been stale to me. Maybe it's Nintendo's 'crafty' handling of their release schedules (see: years in between each game), or it's my obsession clouding my opinion and the games are actually all crap... probably the former.

But, this change is nice. The Wii Zelda was a great first-step in a direction that may lead to one-to-one sword combat and more different gameplay elements for the following sequels. Or, they'll just revert to their old ways and create another game in the same vein, only attach a water cannon to his back and make him save happy islanders in a summer paradise. One can only hope.

nadia
06-20-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm kind of (read: extremely) worried that the use of the stylus for movement, let alone everything else, is going to horribly ruin this game for me. I can't imagine who thought that this was such a brilliant idea.

A valid concern, but the commercials make the stylus control look very Animal Crossing / Hotel Dusk-ish. In other words, natural. I'm not too worried.

To be honest, I think Zelda was starting to get a bit stale with it's formula, as great as the series is.

To me, Zelda is Zelda. It never gets stale. It's ... reliable.

Kirin
06-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Maybe it's an advantage then that the last Nintendo platform I owned was the SNES, and hence the last Zelda game I played all the way through (repeatedly) was LttP. I am totally jonsing for some good solid Zelda action with a lot of traditions and a few new twists. As long as the stylus control is solid (and 39/40 and other previews seem to say it is), I'm seriously psyched.

BEAT
06-21-2007, 09:50 AM
The zelda franchise means far too much to nintendo for them to even consider releasing a broken game. I am confident that this phantom hourglass will meet our exacting standards.

Or at the very least the exacting standards of people like me, who loved Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess right to death.

PHATTOM
06-21-2007, 10:14 AM
To be honest, I think Zelda was starting to get a bit stale with it's formula, as great as the series is. I think it might've really been the prime candidate for such since it'd not only get attention to that a completely stylus driven, traditional-ish game can be great, but it'd also help reinvigorate a series before it gets a chance to really slide in quality.

Yeah, me too. Great games, still, but they definitely need some freshening up.

Doc, how much did you pay for it?

Coinspinner
06-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I didn't play Wind Waker because the sailing looked really tedious. If there's less of that here I'll buy it.

JohnB
06-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Doc, how much did you pay for it?

Sounded to me like he downloaded the rom, but I could be wrong.

Vahn16
06-21-2007, 02:06 PM
I didn't play Wind Waker because the sailing looked really tedious. If there's less of that here I'll buy it.

Despite the sailing, Windwaker was a wonderful game. It wasn't the hardest game ever (few Zelda games are), but it exuded pure fun. I'd even go as far as to say that the sailing was actually pretty alright. It made the world feel larger, and added to the exploration possiblities. Defenitely check it out if you have a Gamecube or a Wii.

gamin
06-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Wind Waker was a great game, thanks to the sailing. I thought it was a lot of fun going out on the ocean and exploring for new islands. Watching the weather change and the day cycles as you're out on the water was really cool.

Excitemike
06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
I also really enjoyed the sailing in WW.

NCS is getting this in tomorrow. I was going to wait for the American release and find a copy of WW to finish in the meantime, but now the hype is beating up my common sense. Hmm.. it's not too late to order...

doc_marten_abortion
06-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah, it was a download. Go ahead, commence with the witch hunt.

alexb
06-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Witch hunt, no. But I do think you're a bit of an ass for pirating it on the day of release.

doc_marten_abortion
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Do you need the 'on the day of release' bit? My handle describes a rather violent mean to separate mother from child. I'm just an ass.

And, yes, I am an ass for downloading the game. But, I don't really know why I'm more of an ass for doing it on release day rather than the day after... isn't it bad regardless?

alexb
06-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Not that I have any desire to get into yet another pointless emulation debate, especially with someone who will willfully not get the point, but yes. Games make nearly all of their revenue in the first 8 weeks of release. There is a substantive difference between downloading the newest Zelda on the day of its release and downloading a copy of Arcana. But that's all I'm going to say on this subject. I'm not going to be drawn into another flame war.

doc_marten_abortion
06-21-2007, 05:03 PM
No, no. I get the point.

And, anything that could be considered a justification is only going to sound like pathetic whimpering on the part of a fan who has little patience for his import to show up at the door. I should wait, I should be a good citizen, I shouldn't break the law...

JohnB
06-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah, it was a download. Go ahead, commence with the witch hunt.

Oh hell man, I don't care. I own a G6 Lite myself for DS and GBA action. No pot - kettle here.

ShakeWell
06-21-2007, 09:37 PM
No, no. I get the point.

And, anything that could be considered a justification is only going to sound like pathetic whimpering on the part of a fan who has little patience for his import to show up at the door. I should wait, I should be a good citizen, I shouldn't break the law...

Well, are you going to buy it? Or have you ordered it already? Because then, I don't really see the problem with downloading it.