PDA

View Full Version : "New" Evangelion Coming

TheSL
06-20-2007, 08:01 AM
How did I not hear about this? GAINAX is totally redoing the Evangelion series in four films titled "Rebuild of Evangelion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebuild_of_Evangelion)." First question is this: why? I thought the series had a pretty definite conclusion after End of Evangelion and now they say they're going to make an entirely different ending by the fourth movie. I'm sure I'll watch either way, but this constant rehashing (like the "director's cut" DVDs with ~10 extra minutes for the final episodes) of the series is getting pretty old.

Maybe this will spark a new edition of Thumbnail Theatre (http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Site/ThumbnailTheatre), though?

sraymonds
06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm surprised they haven't done Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion:_Angelic_Days) as an anime yet. Y'know, the feel good version of Evangelion.

Jakanden
06-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Meh. To me, NGE is one of the most overrated Anime series in history. It is an enjoyable watch, but people go wayy too apeshit over it.

Excitemike
06-20-2007, 08:24 AM
First question is this: why?

From the man himself (taken from a poster that was sent to Japanese theaters):

Many different desires are motivating us to create the new "Evangelion" film.

The desire to portray my sincere feelings on film.
The desire to share, with an audience, the embodiment of image, the diversity of expressions, and the detailed portrayal of emotions that animation offers.
The desire to connect today's exhausted Japanese animation [industry] to the future.
The desire to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime.
The desire to support the strength of heart that exists in the world.

Finally, the desire to have these wishes be realized.

For these purposes, we used the best methods available to us to make another Evangelion film.
Many times we wondered, "It's a title that's more than 10 years old. Why now?"
"Eva is too old", we felt.
However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime newer than Eva.

Specifically, among the stagnant mood of the present day, it is the portrayal of will - not technology - that is most important.
To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.
When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.

As the creator of this project, [I assure you that] a very new-feeling Evangelion world has beeen constructed.
For this purpose, we are not returning to our roots at Gainax. I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again.
Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future.
Thankfully, we have gathered staff from the old series, new staff, and many other fantastic staff to work on this series.
We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

”Eva" is a story that repeats.
It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little.
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.
We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story.

In closing, it is also our job to provide a service to our customers.
Although it seems obvious, we aim to create a form of entertainment that anyone can look forward to; one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to, one that can engage audiences as a movie for theatres, and one that produces a new understanding of the world.

This fall, we hope you can join us.

Creator/General Director, Anno Hideaki

So, basically Eva is the greatest and no one else can match it. So they kind of have to do it over agian. I'm very curious to see the results. Eva is a series that's hard to break into. The TV show just kind of ends, and the movies have 45 mins of overlap. I wouldn't mind seeing one streamlined, definitive version.

Zef
06-20-2007, 08:32 AM
First question is this: why?
Because a fanboy and his money are soon parted? Gainax is like Squex in that regard --if there's any possibility that the cow has any drop of milk left in it, then by golly, they'll milk it and milk it GOOD. Witness the myriad trinkets emblazoned with the NERV logo, the trading cards, the toys, the shot glasses, the creepy and disturbing PC games, the even creepier life-sized dolls... By renewing the series itself, they can branch off into a whole new avenue of merchandising opportunities using the new version (to be sold alongside the original series' paraphernalia, natch.)

Edit: Holy crap, Anno's been drinking from the same bottle as Kutaragi and Kaz Hirai. That's one laughably flimsy (not to say arrogant) excuse, and it even includes a slam against the industry. Bonus!

Excitemike
06-20-2007, 08:41 AM
That reminds me; they're changing the NERV logo. I think it was going to be an apple and a snake? (or an apple with a bite taken out? can't find the source)

Potato
06-20-2007, 08:58 AM

TheSL
06-20-2007, 09:01 AM
The desire to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime.

I found this line to be particularly amusing.

estragon
06-20-2007, 09:13 AM

So, I was all ready to get indignant and blame the translation. Then, I checked it against the original Japanese . . . and it was unfortunately accurate.

For the record, I don't think Evangelion is the blight upon humanity that a lot of people up in here think it is. Part of this is probably because I've seen Anno Hideaki's live action movie Shikijitsu, which was fun and experimental in the same sort of way that Evangelion is. It also stars one of my favorite directors (Iwai Shunji) and is generally a great time, even if it's not particularly lucid.

But, because it was just a straight up art film instead of luring people in with fighting robots, no one got angry when it turned out that emotions and images mattered more than the plot.

I'm actually excited that these could be pretty okay.

Torgo
06-20-2007, 09:17 AM
/tl;dr
Some of that is pretty serious lol territory.

However, as someone who manages to have apathy for Evangelion so potent it's profound, all I can muster is an incredulous 'Whatever'.

Peach
06-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Like Final Fantasy, I've actually seen a lot more people saying that Evangelion was overrated than that it was the best thing, but that's probably just the circles I roll in.

I thought the series was fine, and that the manga even better in a lot of ways. The movies don't seem particularly necessary to me, but I'll see them. But yeah, GAINAX and Square-Enix are guilty of a lot of the same crimes.

tungwene
06-20-2007, 09:29 AM
*yawn* Old news.

JCDenton
06-20-2007, 09:33 AM
All of the rehashing and merchandising is more than a little tiring, but I'm pretty sure this is the first project Anno has been involved with since End of Evangelion. I doubt Rebuild can have a comparable impact (hah!) to that of original series, but I am interested and excited to see what they'll do with it.

Parish
06-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Maybe this will spark a new edition of Thumbnail Theatre (http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Site/ThumbnailTheatre), though?
No need. This project has pushed Evangelion into the realm of self-parody, saving me an awful lot of work. Pretty thoughtful of them, really.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-20-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm the type of guy who'll get an Eva Bicycle Pump if they sold it.

And I'm still skeptical about this.

Aw fuck who am I kidding I'll buy this like the whore I am.

Parish
06-20-2007, 09:55 AM
*yawn* Old news.
Ugh. Please don't ever do that again, not here. I'm OK with people posting here even if they don't live and breathe up-to-the-second news about useless nerd crap. If you're sick of the topic, all you have to do to avoid being bored is not click the link.

Sorry... pet peeve.

shivam
06-20-2007, 10:04 AM
you know, i loved the original run of eva a lot, and then they fucked it up with the two movies.

I'm interested in seeing these new edits, simply to see their mindset evolution, since anno isnt in the same place anymore, but at the same time, i want to keep my enjoyable memory.

TheSL
06-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm the type of guy who'll get an Eva Bicycle Pump if they sold it.

Would you like some coffee (http://www.akibablog.net/archives/2007/06/ucc_eva_coffee_070618.html)?

Makkara
06-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm actually looking forward to this. I quite like Evangelion, (the bits where the giant robots fight the giant alien monsters are cool) but for some reason I never seem to get much further than episode 10 when I try to watch the show. I hear the movies are kind of a mess too, so I'm probably better off staying away from those. This seems like a nice alternative to all that crap. And hey, if the animation is up to current standards, so much the better.

djSyndrome
06-20-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm interested in seeing these new edits, simply to see their mindset evolution, since anno isnt in the same place anymore, but at the same time, i want to keep my enjoyable memory.

Your mutually opposed goals will be the end of you.

That said, Eva was the first Anime I ever bought from beginning to end. I think my ex-wife still has the VHS tapes somewhere, probably next to her empty cans of Eva-branded UCC (from the first run) and the godawful Saturn card game. Nowdays? I could care less.

marcalan
06-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey, if they make Shinji less of a whiny bitch, I may get past episode 6 with out wanting to strangle someone.

estragon
06-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey, if they make Shinji less of a whiny bitch, I may get past episode 6 with out wanting to strangle someone.

Conversely, I would hate it.

gamin
06-20-2007, 10:55 AM
This series has always stood out for me for its psychological elements. So long as Anno is fully invested in this and isn't just crapping something out cause Gainax wants more money, then I'm interested and will definitely check it out.

sraymonds
06-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Would you like some coffee (http://www.akibablog.net/archives/2007/06/ucc_eva_coffee_070618.html)?

With 100% more angst and self-loathing!

Evil Dead Junkie
06-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Personally I just hope they straighten out the whole third impact thing, the different versions of said event are really the only thing that pissed me off.

I mean SEELE is so set on not letting NERV's scenario go forward that they slaughter every man woman and child in the Geofront, but when Commander Ikari DOES put his plan into play they lay back and melt into paste with a giant goofy grins like this is the best thing thats ever happened to them.

Tomm Guycot
06-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I love Eva and everything about it.

(Manga is best)

Looking forward to these, if only to see what they change, and how that affects things.

JCDenton
06-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Personally I just hope they straighten out the whole third impact thing, the different versions of said event are really the only thing that pissed me off.

I mean SEELE is so set on not letting NERV's scenario go forward that they slaughter every man woman and child in the Geofront, but when Commander Ikari DOES put his plan into play they lay back and melt into paste with a giant goofy grins like this is the best thing thats ever happened to them.

As I understand it, which is admittedly very poorly, Gendo's plan was different somehow (creating a god to reunite him with Yui?), but when Rei rejected him, his scheme fell through and the Human Instrumentality began, which is what Seele wanted.

Chu
06-20-2007, 12:10 PM
After all these years, I still haven't properly watched all of the original series. Evangelion: ReDeath (http://variableaspect.com/sokodei/redeath/) is enough for me.

JCDenton
06-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Turn around Shinji. That is a babe magnet.

nadia
06-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Maybe I should watch Eva. Like, once.

alexb
06-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Might as well wait for the remake at this point. That's what I'll do. This really does seem pretty questionable, though. Aren't they sick to death of working with this material?

Sanagi
06-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Eva is full of flaws, but it's somehow extremely compelling... I found it hard to figure out why, until I read this book (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Boy-Japans-Exploding-Subculture/dp/0300102852), which calls it the ultimate otaku creation. I think that pretty much says it.

BEAT
06-20-2007, 09:04 PM
I actually kind of tried to watch eva once. I was almost getting it until I discovered that the last few episodes were made in power point.

Peach
06-20-2007, 10:30 PM
That reminds me; they're changing the NERV logo. I think it was going to be an apple and a snake? (or an apple with a bite taken out? can't find the source)

Obviously they're not turning down the religious imagery. And I'm not going to pretend that I was the only person annoyed by that aspect of the show...

shivam
06-20-2007, 10:46 PM
i love the religious imagery. its my favorite part of eva. and really, of all things. i'm a total comparative religion whore.

Healy
06-21-2007, 01:23 AM
I personally am looking foward to this, and I've watched all of five seconds of the original show!
My biggest hope is that they're all gloriously, stupendously bad. My second biggest hope is that they'll actually be kind of good!

Guy
06-21-2007, 01:58 AM
Please read the manga, guys. I promise the claims that it's far superior to the anime aren't just crazy fanboy rantings.

TheSL
06-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Please read the manga, guys. I promise the claims that it's far superior to the anime aren't just crazy fanboy rantings.

Well, it was the first remake of Evangelion, wasn't it? I'm pretty sure it didn't come out until after the television series.

Vahn16
06-21-2007, 02:22 PM
I think they started at around the same time. The author of the manga is just taking a lot longer to finish. The manga itself (from what I've heard) isn't really a remake or a straight rehash of the television series. It's a little of both. It develops some characters more than the TV show, some less. I'm interested in reading it at some point because it apparently explains some of the more confusing aspects of the franchise a little better.

Peach
06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
The Manga series is really good. Production designers becoming creative directors of a series is a hit or miss affair, but Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is definitely a hit. His only problem, arguably, is that he takes his time between releases.

As for differences between the manga and anime, there are fewer Angels, fewer tangents, and perhaps a bit more SEELE (always good). None of the character's motivations changes significantly, but many of them are better developed, like Kaji and his shiny new backstory. Rei is especially more developed, with discernible feelings, motivations, and a much less tenuous relationship with Shinji. Overall, I think manga feels more like good science fiction and drama than Emo Anno's trip to the therapist with robots and fanservice. Now if they could only make a good video game...

locit
06-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Obviously they're not turning down the religious imagery. And I'm not going to pretend that I was the only person annoyed by that aspect of the show...

So... you were annoyed by the entire show?

gamin
06-21-2007, 04:48 PM
How far is the manga series in terms of the overall story arc?

Peach
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Volume 10, which came out earlier this year, starts with (SPOILER ALERT) the battle with the double helix Angel, deals alot with Ritsuko and Kowaru, and ends with the destruction of the the dummy plug system.

So... you were annoyed by the entire show?
I don't mind most of the religious nomenclature and iconography. It's actually used a lot better than in many other fictional settings. I do mind the pretentious use of obscure aspects of Abrahamic religion. How many people here, aside from Shivam, possibly, have read the apocrypha, or can properly define gnosticism?

Potato
06-21-2007, 05:23 PM
I do mind the pretentious use of obscure aspects of Abrahamic religion. How many people here, aside from Shivam, possibly, have read the apocrypha, or can properly define gnosticism?I could wing it, with a healthy amount of butchering. That was an off-and-on hobby of mine, but it doesn't mean I enjoy Evangelion. Hamfisted meanderings through unnecessary allusions, rad.

Tomm Guycot
06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
The reason there is so much time between manga releases is because as Japan's interest in Eva waxes and wanes, the comic gets cancelled and reborn.

shivam
06-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't mind most of the religious nomenclature and iconography. It's actually used a lot better than in many other fictional settings. I do mind the pretentious use of obscure aspects of Abrahamic religion. How many people here, aside from Shivam, possibly, have read the apocrypha, or can properly define gnosticism?

lol. i'm glad you separated me out, because i have, indeed, read the apocrypha (and a ton of hebraic commentary on it too), as well as a ton of gnostic writings and analysis. Eva is what pushed me to want to know, though. Eva and Milton's Paradise Lost.

That, and an unhealthy fascination with the evolution of religious tradition and faith in the axial age.

Jakanden
06-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Speaking of NGE (http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=2088)

Jakanden
06-22-2007, 03:45 AM
That, and an unhealthy fascination with the evolution of religious tradition and faith in the axial age.

I am big into Gnostic texts and biblical history as well (Masoretic Text, Textus Receptus and so on), but it was the reason above as opposed to NGE that made me interested.

mr_bungle700
06-22-2007, 05:30 AM

That's a pretty good list, actually, though like all polls of Japanese anime fans that I've seen it tends to skew some recent productions much higher on the list than they have earned the right to be. It's not that Mushishi, Fullmetal Alchemist, Stand Alone Complex, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Kamichu!, etc. aren't good stuff, but they haven't stood the test of time I think should be required to get something on a list like this. I also think that Howl's Moving Castle just plain shouldn't be on there, especially when Kiki's Delivery Service is not.

(I'd say the same for Gundam SEED, but I never bothered watching it.)

Other than that it's a fairly standard list though. Lots of great stuff there. Although I do have to echo the sentiments of some of the comments and say, "What, no Macross?"

Sanagi
06-22-2007, 04:06 PM
By the way, I think this is one topic where Uncyclopedia (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Evangelion) has Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion) beat.

locit
06-22-2007, 05:36 PM
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/4/4c/Dangercodeblue.jpg/180px-Dangercodeblue.jpg
"Yet another gargantuan menace of unknown origin descends upon Tokyo 3."

I'd watch it.

cartman414
06-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Given the populist tilt of that top 50 list, I'm surprised by the lack of Detective Conan. Then again, I'm surprised Cowboy Bebop got in there, given that the series isn't as popular amongst animes as it is over here.

JCDenton
07-10-2007, 05:00 PM
New trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKWjZxgV6Q). Shaky cam and blurry as hell, you can make out enough to see that not too much has changed, for better or worse. A lot of familiar scenes redone with higher quality animation, for the most part. Still, September 1st can't come quickly enough for me.

Kishi
07-10-2007, 08:54 PM
The TV show just kind of ends, and the movies have 45 mins of overlap. I wouldn't mind seeing one streamlined, definitive version.

The correct way to watch Eva is episodes 1 through 24, then The End of Evangelion.

ScrambledGregs
07-11-2007, 09:16 AM
The reason I like Evangelion?? I ask myself this every time I watch it, and I guess the reason is because it captures perfectly what it's like to be a depressed, solipsistic young man. I only watch it when I'm depressed to the point where I find myself laying in bed unable to get up to do anything, and in that regard I find some solace in it even if I know there are probably much better movies/books/anime to help me through it.

Peach
07-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey guys, here's the first trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Tj_GVMdps).

Guy
07-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Holy crap, that's beautiful.

Not sure about that millionth remix of Fly Me to the Moon, though. I think I would've rather heard some Cruel Angel's Thesis in there.

JCDenton
07-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks, it is much better direct feed. Still looks pretty similar to the original, but I think it'll diverge more as the movies progress. Can't wait.

Merus
07-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I know I'm looking forward to the bit at the end where they ignore all internal consistency and start philosophising at the audience like a college Art student.

RAC
07-13-2007, 09:25 PM
(I'd say the same for Gundam SEED, but I never bothered watching it.)

It... totally doesn't belong there. I like the show, it's pretty good, especially the second half. But one of the 50 best anime of all time? No arfin' way.

Hell, I'd argue against Char's Counterattack, but that's just because there's a truly idiotic plot point in the middle of the movie. ("Please stop dropping giant rocks on Earth? What, you say you'll stop in exchange for a giant rock with engines attached that we just happened to have lying around? Sure!")

The trailer's pretty. I'm glad they seem to be reanimating the whole thing from the ground up, because blending old and new animation doesn't always work. (See also: Zeta Gundam Trilogy. But that was much worse since they combined animation from `85 and `05.)

Healy
07-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Neat trailer, but holy crap, for a video concerning a popular anime series, that's just way too few views. (about 9 as of the time this post was written, to be exact.) That is weird. Thing hasn't been up very long, has it?

(As for my feelings on the trailer, I want to watch the movie now, even with my inexperience with the series. That tell you anything?)

Mightyblue
07-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Honestly, I couldn't make it through the series the first two times I tried to watch it. I think I petered out last time at about ep. 20 or so. I hate Shinji too much because he's such a whiny douche, and it kills the show for me. Too much angst and existentialism for me to really enjoy it too much. Not that I'm against things that make you think, as I really like Zegapain, another mecha show that deals with existentialism, but I don't need to be hit over the head with it every thirty seconds either.

Lumber Baron
07-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Nothing to add besides after spending a bit of time in some video game stores and arcades around Japan I've come to the conclusion that Asuka vs. Rei is the Otaku equvalent of whether you're a Ginger guy or a Mary Ann guy.

mr_bungle700
07-14-2007, 01:20 AM
So...

Asuka or Rei?

(Actually, they're both equally insane/not viable, just for completely different reasons. Ultimately I think the choice comes down to which kind of terrible wrongness you find less off-putting.)

Tomm Guycot
07-14-2007, 02:02 AM
So...

Asuka or Rei?

(Actually, they're both equally insane/not viable, just for completely different reasons. Ultimately I think the choice comes down to which kind of terrible wrongness you find less off-putting.)

Asuka by a country mile.

But for my money, I want Misato to be my girlfriend.

Tomm Guycot
07-14-2007, 02:04 AM
Hey waitaminute...

Is that Utada singing Fly Me To the Moon?

Kishi
07-14-2007, 02:10 AM
I'll always take the unnervingly placid doll-girl over the neurotic shrew and the alcoholic with daddy issues.

alexb
07-14-2007, 03:01 AM
The correct answer is that you're too emotionally damaged to truly engage either of them.

mr_bungle700
07-14-2007, 03:27 AM
It's true!

*sob*

Also, yeah, I think that's Utada there.

reibeatall
07-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I own two different copies of the series, and I also own the movies. It's one of my favorites. I can't watch it over and over, but probably once a year. After I finish watching BSG Seasons 2 and 2.5, I'll be watching Eva again.

So...

Asuka or Rei?

Asuka. I can't stand Rei. At least Asuka shows some emotions, even if it's just "I HATE YOU SHINJI!"

Kishi
07-14-2007, 09:50 AM
I can't stand Rei.

But Rei beat all!

reibeatall
07-14-2007, 10:44 AM
I figured that'd come back and bite me in the ass...

Makkara
07-14-2007, 11:13 AM
So...

Asuka or Rei?

Rei. Not caring when you accidentally knock her over and grab her boob is a very appealing characteristic in a female. Of course, being older than fourteen also helps.

Peach
07-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Ritsuko.

What? Moles are sexy.

mr_bungle700
07-14-2007, 09:11 PM
I'd actually say Hikari. She's one of the few people in the series without issues.

JCDenton
07-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Pen-pen.

What, just me?

Zef
07-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Maya.

Yes, I know what the fandom says. She's still the most normal and down-to-earth character in a series full of basket cases. That's helped by the fact that's she's an independent, skilled professional in a cutting-edge field, and after Misato she's the closest one to my age.

Kishi
07-14-2007, 11:28 PM
I prefer to indulge Maya in her Lesbian fantasies, so she's off-limits. I guess that means Ritsuko is, too, but she's kind of a crazy bitch anyway.

Thinaran
07-15-2007, 02:48 AM
Rei. And because of the cloning technology, she'll stay young and nubile forever!

Deadguy2322
07-15-2007, 05:32 AM
Well, I guess this thread kinda proves what the outside world thinks of anime fandom isn't that far from the truth.

I feel like I need a shower now.