PDA

View Full Version : BioWare to create Sonic RPG

Kolbe
06-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Uh, uh... what? (http://kotaku.com/gaming/wtf%3F/bioware-and-sega-team-for-sonic-rpg-270998.php)

BEAT
06-21-2007, 09:56 AM
As an old Sega fan, who dearly loved his Genisis and Dreamcast, I can only say the following.

: (

I suppose I could cling to the hope that I'll be an RPG the same way the DS castlevanias are RPGS, but that's really pushing it.

sraymonds
06-21-2007, 09:57 AM
But it's Bioware! When they put on pants, they make gold records!

Sprite
06-21-2007, 10:02 AM
I too think this sounds like a stupid idea, the fastest video game character combined with the slowest videogame genre.

But hey, Bioware! The only reason I want to play Xbox! They made awesome Star Wars RPGs and I don't like Star Wars.

The only hope is that they don't make a ton of really annoying characters that join your party, but I know that's going to happen.

Coinspinner
06-21-2007, 10:19 AM
...why not Phantasy Star? I don't like the Mario RPG games and can't imagine Sonic working any better.

Kolbe
06-21-2007, 10:23 AM
A Phantasy Star not-online. That would be good.

Parish
06-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Revelation: Closest pedo-furries running the show at Bioware. Film at 11, or maybe on the next episode of CSI.

Zef
06-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Revelation: Closest pedo-furries running the show at Bioware. Film at 11, or maybe on the next episode of CSI.
...and now I have to explain to my boss why I sprayed half a mouthful of water at my laptop.

thomp538
06-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I heard they made an RPG out of Super Mario Bros once. Turned out ok.

alexb
06-21-2007, 10:55 AM
They know it's not April, right?

Jeanie
06-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Well as I liked the Mario RPG's (Partners in Time was a little weak though), having Bioware make a Sonic RPG will be the meat in the sandwich of my desires.

Just wanted to add, now let's give Bioware Phantasy Star and Skies of Arcadia

JCDenton
06-21-2007, 11:21 AM
At first I was incredulous that anyone would think this would work. Then I remembered my belief that a 2D stealth game starring Knuckles would be the greatest thing ever. So I'll shut up.

Peach
06-21-2007, 11:23 AM
It'll be interesting to see what Bioware does when forced to keep the gameplay simple and drop the concepts, like "morality", that define their games. I sure hope this doesn't mean we'll see Sonic "interacting" with with humans again, though...

Jeanie
06-21-2007, 11:27 AM
At first I was incredulous that anyone would think this would work. Then I remembered my belief that a 2D stealth game starring Knuckles would be the greatest thing ever. So I'll shut up.

The Sega big-wigs are developing a new Hedgehog. This new prototype is called Shadow the Hedgehog 2. Yes, I know. You've deal with them in the past.

As you may already guessed, this new type of Hedgehog is far superior than its predecessors in terms of techology. Rumor has it, though, that Sega is investing A LOT of money in this little toy, and they need actual test data to see if they can get the money back.

ecchi squirrel
06-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Nothing says a Sonic game like complex dialogue trees and deep character development.

With that said, I don't think Bioware could mess Sonic up any worse than Sonic Team, so I'm actually kind of interested to see how this is going to turn out.

MetManMas
06-21-2007, 11:32 AM
As much distaste as I've felt relating to the Sonic series as of late, and as much as I feel that Sonic + RPG = Disaster, if anybody can make a good RPG out of a license like Sonic, it would be BioWare.

.....as long as half of the party members aren't made up of a bunch of goddamn hedgehogs.

Jakanden
06-21-2007, 11:54 AM
I will reserve judgment until more info is released. I am not a huge Bioware fan, but that is due to my taste in RPG's, not a slight on their skills.

bobservo
06-21-2007, 12:26 PM
The blood of millions of furries will boil when Princess Sally is once again left out of the canon.

Parish
06-21-2007, 12:49 PM
...and now I have to explain to my boss why I sprayed half a mouthful of water at my laptop.
"Spring cleaning." But hurry, it only works for a few more days!

Kolbe
06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
The Sega big-wigs are developing a new Hedgehog. This new prototype is called Shadow the Hedgehog 2. Yes, I know. You've deal with them in the past.

As you may already guessed, this new type of Hedgehog is far superior than its predecessors in terms of techology. Rumor has it, though, that Sega is investing A LOT of money in this little toy, and they need actual test data to see if they can get the money back.

That sounds terribly familiar.

philliam
06-21-2007, 01:01 PM
The blood of millions of furries will boil when Princess Sally is once again left out of the canon.

they sould bring back the chili dogs

PHATTOM
06-21-2007, 01:03 PM
The real question is whether or not you can wear boobies for hats in this game

Disposable Ninja
06-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Oh, good lord. What's next? An RPG based off a series of railshooters? I'd like to see Sega try that.

TheSL
06-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Oh, good lord. What's next? An RPG based off a series of railshooters? I'd like to see Sega try that.

I sure hope you're referring to Panzer Dragoon Saga!

Eusis
06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
I sure hope you're referring to Panzer Dragoon Saga!

Well, that makes me feel a little better that this could turn out decently, somehow.

Edit: And we have Doom RPG, so really I think anything will pale in comparison. Jeez, Sonic Adventure was evolved from a Sonic RPG concept I hear.

Vahn16
06-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I have to say that I haven't warmed-up to this idea because of what Bioware could've done on the DS instead of this. As interesting (for lack of a better term) as this game sounds, wouldn't it have been awesome to play Baldur's Gate or some extension of KOTOR on the DS? Even an extension of the Jade Empire or Mass Effect franchises could have been pretty incredible. I just don't think that the depth of a Bioware title and Sonic the Hedgehog are a good fit.

Andrew
06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
So even though Sonic Team was the Phantasy Star team before they were Sonic Team, Sega/Sammy brass have so little faith in them making a good Sonic game they're not even letting them make an RPG?

Delicious. And not unfounded.

Torgo
06-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Sonic Team's too busy trying to gouge players a monthy fee for hacked-to-death, poorly supported Futuristic Diablo to worry about an rpg that they can only sell for a max of thirty-five dollars and get no subscriptions out of.

Bioware + Sonic? I am intrigued. I'll roll with this idea for now.

Vahn16
06-21-2007, 02:37 PM
You don't mean Hellgate, do you? Sonic Team isn't involved with that at all (to my knowledge). As for the actual quality of the game, there's been nothing but positive impressions from most of the media.

Disregard all that if you didn't mean Hellgate.

Torgo
06-21-2007, 02:40 PM
You don't mean Hellgate, do you? Sonic Team isn't involved with that at all (to my knowledge). As for the actual quality of the game, there's been nothing but positive impressions from most of the media.

Disregard all that if you didn't mean Hellgate.
I'm talking about Phantasy Star Online. In fairness, it really is a pretty solid experience, but considering other games do what it does better, without a monthly fee, and without rampant hacking and griefing...

Eusis
06-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Hellgate hasn't been released, ergo impossible to be hacked to death. Then again, the source code for HL2 /did/ get stolen sometime before release, so maybe it is technically possible.

Eh. PSU was fun, but got old fast. I normally don't stick to games like that for too long, but it really didn't help for the lack of variety and the slow updates. The X360 version sounds better, being isolated and more or less hack free, but it sounds like there's just too much stupidity for me to want to play again, like people screwing up the latest event by quitting missions only a few minutes or even seconds from completion just to try again and get some rare monsters. Geez.

Edit: Man, I thought this was going to be about PSU, not PSO. Not that it can't apply to that too, but hey.

Torgo
06-21-2007, 02:46 PM
I mainly was referring to PSO. However, my understanding is that PSU pretty much inherited all of PSO's cheating/griefing problems, so yeah, it pretty much applies.

locit
06-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey guys, know what the Sonic series needs?

More plot.

Sprite
06-21-2007, 04:37 PM

Just as long as they leave out Digger and Scratch from the other show.

Alastor
06-21-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't know which is more of a surprise, this or the Mario+Sonic Olympics. Bioware has a great track record at any rate, and, even if "serious" stories don't necessarily mesh well with the Sonic universe, they would be able to pull it off a lot better than Sonic Team ever could. Or they could go the more whimsical Paper Mario-esque route?

*puts on nerd glasses* His name was Grounder.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-21-2007, 05:30 PM
I've been saying that with all these characters, they should just do a Sonic RPG for awhile. But I didn't expect them to get someone else making it, since Sonic Team does Phantasy Star as well.

Someone here said before that taking a character made for speed and putting him in the slowest game genre there is was a bad idea. I say not necessarily, if done right. It's not like most of his platforming romps have been spectacular or made very good use of it lately as it is.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Deadguy2322
06-21-2007, 05:31 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Bioware does when forced to keep the gameplay simple and drop the concepts, like "morality", that define their games. I sure hope this doesn't mean we'll see Sonic "interacting" with with humans again, though...

Considering the only moral choice that ever matters in their games is the one at the very end, I think they will keep it simple enough.

Potato
06-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm hoping this will be a non-stop barrage of clichés.

"SONIC, don't you think there have been more monsters here lately?"

"It's a shame your parents died before you got to know them, KNUCKLES."

In the end, Shadow kills a winged Robotnik.

openedsource
06-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Sonic 360 as a text adventure:

You see a cliff. Do you:
1. Leap off the cliff?
2. Bound off the cliff?
3. Dive off the cliff?
4. Lurch off the cliff?
5. Run headlong off the cliff.

Red Hedgehog
06-21-2007, 06:03 PM
The fact that Sonic Team is not involved with this gives me hope.

I said the same thing about Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

(And Bioware has a pretty good track record)

Peach
06-21-2007, 06:10 PM

Robotnik's too visable a villian for a Japanese RPG. He always confronts Sonic at the beginning of the game, instead of revealing himself halfway-through as the person as who's been manipulating events from the shadows all along WHAT A TWIST! Also, there aren't homosexual overtones to his relationship with Sonic. I can see him, though, merging with his machines to attain power possessed only by the gods!

Knuckles, however, fulfills pretty much all the criteria above.

Potato
06-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Well it's obviously Metal Sonic in control, then they merge, which I'm sure becomes fodder for slash fiction somewhere.

Safer RobotniSonik.

Eusis
06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't know which is more of a surprise, this or the Mario+Sonic Olympics.

I'm going to go with this. Mario and Sonic against each other was inevitable since Sega went third party, but Bioware + Sonic = WTF?

Tomm Guycot
06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
It's gaming's fastest character... in gaming's slowest genre.

thomp538
06-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey guys, know what the Sonic series needs?

More plot.
Here's your plot:

run

Alastor
06-21-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm going to go with this. Mario and Sonic against each other was inevitable since Sega went third party, but Bioware + Sonic = WTF?

Granted, but who decided that their first game to star in together would be based on the Olympics of all things?

Another major plus of this being a DS game: voice acting will be kept to a minimum. That in itself gives me a lot of hope.

Psyael
06-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog is one of those things from my younger years where I used it understand almost every facet of it pretty well, but when I look at it today I scratch my head and wonder what the hell happened.

In that regard, it can sit next to the Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers, both also started spinning off into multiple universes and began taking themselves too seriously once they got into their senior citizen years. I think there's a death sentence on anything that made it big in 1994 right now. I almost threw Final Fantasy into that list, but I haven't played XII so I'll just leave that one hanging in the balance.

LBD_Nytetrayn
06-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Bet Eggman joins your party.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Sprite
06-22-2007, 09:59 AM
*puts on nerd glasses* His name was Grounder.

I was actually hoping I got his name wrong. Just one of a number of things I want to purge from my mind to make room for useful things.

Kolbe
06-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Here's your plot:

run

Like Forrest Gump.

Andrew
06-22-2007, 04:47 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/nevermind-sonic-rpg-a-polished-sonic-homebrew-alternative-is-due-soon-33501.phtml

Potato
06-22-2007, 05:13 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/nevermind-sonic-rpg-a-polished-sonic-homebrew-alternative-is-due-soon-33501.phtmlBwaha, that was the best song ever, I really hope that stays in as the boss track. I can already imagine jumping at Robotnik and hearing that metal singer shout "CAPTAIN HOOK AND FRANKENSTEIN". It's chilling, really, truly intense.

locit
06-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Wow, that was actually ok. Like, I'd play that ok. Weird.

Calorie Mate
06-22-2007, 05:40 PM

Shouldn't Robotnik only have one wing?

Eusis
06-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Having watched that Sonic XG thing, I can't help but feel that if we got a 2D Sonic on the Saturn, that's what it would've been. Probably should've done that since Sonic Xtreme didn't really go anywhere.

Andrew
06-22-2007, 07:24 PM
I can't help but feel that if we got a 2D Sonic on the Saturn, that's what it would've been.

I like to pretend Sonic 3D Blast didn't exist either (which I don't count as 3D for obvious reasons).

And yes, at least based on those clips the level designs look really good.

Schmidt
06-22-2007, 07:27 PM
There was nothing actually wrong with Sonic 3D Blast, it was a pretty good game.

Coinspinner
06-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Having watched that Sonic XG thing, I can't help but feel that if we got a 2D Sonic on the Saturn, that's what it would've been. Probably should've done that since Sonic Xtreme didn't really go anywhere.

As much as I'd love to play this game now I imagine that back then it would have been a lot of outcry and sneering over it being 2d.

Torgo
06-22-2007, 08:48 PM
There was nothing actually wrong with Sonic 3D Blast, it was a pretty good game.
And I thought I was the only one...

Eusis
06-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah, it would've been sneered at if it was 2D. Even though that probably would've been ideal given the Saturn's strength and the fact a fast paced, 3D Sonic may not have worked as well as it did for the Dreamcast. I know I wanted a 3D Sonic then more than a 2D one anyway, at least when it was 96.

Sonic 3D Blast was alright. It had some pretty nice tunes for the Saturn version.

Chu
06-22-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/nevermind-sonic-rpg-a-polished-sonic-homebrew-alternative-is-due-soon-33501.phtml

DO WANT

Psyael
06-22-2007, 10:49 PM
DO RRRAARARRGH

Can we please place this phrase and it's negative twin next to the SOTN intro as phrases that should never be uttered in this forum? I mean, I know the rest of the internet is using it like mad, but that's the thing. It's driving me nuts, and I like to think this site is a small respite from internet retardation.

bobservo
06-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Can we please place this phrase and it's negative twin next to the SOTN intro as phrases that should never be uttered in this forum? I mean, I know the rest of the internet is using it like mad, but that's the thing. It's driving me nuts, and I like to think this site is a small respite from internet retardation.

ORLY?

i'm gonna go kill myself now, thanks for the laughs

Chu
06-23-2007, 12:01 AM

Sure, I last the entire Star Fox thread without blurting a whole bunch of random Star Fox 64 quotes, but then an enticing homebrew Sonic game earns me an "uncool" point. Fine, fine. Here's my new response:

"The look of that game reminds me of how cool the Genesis Sonic games were. I'm really interested to see how it turns out; thanks for sharing!"

Andrew
06-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Well, I for one don't like 3D Blast. It's sluggish, the collecting aspect feels all wrong for a Sonic game, and for a series that usually has fast-paced action, isometric gameplay introduces a major problem with depth perception that makes jumping right on enemies either difficult (overshoot, undershoot, or land wrong and take a hit), or requires you step very very carefully towards the enemy, line yourself up and jump *just right*.

It's not a total affront; the also-isometric Labyrinth is a hundred times worse. However, I think it's quite obvious why we never got an isometric Mario, and why we never asked for isometric Sonic in the first place.

Good looking special stages, though.

Jeanie
06-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Actually Mario RPG for the SNES was isometric. Admittedly it doesn't hurt the attacking the enemies part, but there was quite a bit platforming.

Andrew
06-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Actually Mario RPG for the SNES was isometric. Admittedly it doesn't hurt the attacking the enemies part, but there was quite a bit platforming.

Oh yeah, you are correct. I'd forgotten about that, but yes, it was an RPG and not a straight action game. And besides that, I wasn't complaining about S3DB's platforming. There was very little of it, and generally hopping from static platform to static platform isn't an issue.

But enemies that move around, making it difficult to aim for them? Or even more of a nightmare--enemies that are flying? I seem to recall shadows being cast to tell just what square he was over, but even then I'd attack him head on and take damage.

Calorie Mate
06-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Sure, I last the entire Star Fox thread without blurting a whole bunch of random Star Fox 64 quotes, but then an enticing homebrew Sonic game earns me an "uncool" point. Fine, fine. Here's my new response:

"The look of that game reminds me of how cool the Genesis Sonic games were. I'm really interested to see how it turns out; thanks for sharing!"

Never give up. Trust your instincts.