PDA

View Full Version : Yoko Kanno

Kolbe
06-21-2007, 01:54 PM
I think she's a genius. Not only does terrific soundtracks (Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop) with beatuful melodies (like Artisian or Lip Cream)but great songs, in like actual voice-leading songs, too.

Some of my favorite pieces:

1. I can't be cool (Ghost in the Shell)
2. Garden of Everything (Rahxephon)
3. Call me, call me (Cowboy Bebop)
4. Strangers (Wolf's Rain)
5. Glowing bare feet (Lodoss War)
6. Next time (Song to fly)
7. Nowhere and everywhere (Song to fly)
8. Light of Love (Brain Powerd)
9. Word that we couldn't say (Cowboy Bebop)
10. Inner universe (Ghost in the Shell)
11. Gravity (Wolf's Rain)
12. Afternoon repose
13. Cyber bard (Ghost in the Shell)
14. No reply (Cowboy Bebop)
15. WO QUI NON coin (Cowboy Bebop)
16. Some other time (Ghost in the Shell)
17. I do (Ghost in the Shell)
18. Living inside a shell (Ghost in the Shell)

Those are the ones I could remember now.

shivam
06-21-2007, 01:56 PM
you forgot macross plus. you fail.

Kolbe
06-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Oh, sorry. My bad.

gamin
06-21-2007, 02:18 PM
On top of being able to compose melodies for such varied genres like jazz, classical orchestra and electronica, she's a decent vocalist to boot. Gabriela Robin is her pseudonym when she sings.

djSyndrome
06-21-2007, 02:29 PM
you forgot macross plus. you fail.

Kolbe
06-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Ok, sorry for being alive ;_;

Excitemike
06-21-2007, 02:57 PM
If we get the transient facts,
then we feel the info high.
If we get the transient facts,
then we are really free
to fly high
in space.

Sharon Apple FTW.

Peach
06-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Quiet! you'll hypnotize us...

Potato
06-21-2007, 05:18 PM
I like Yoko Kanno even if I'm not terribly familiar with her work outside of the obvious. What does Talking Time suggest I listen to if I want the full Yoko Kanno experience? MACROSS PLUSSSSS?

Excitemike
06-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Objectively, I'd have to say Cowboy Bebop is the best. It's the one I've listened to the most anyway. Stand Alone Complex got a lot of play in my MP3 player last year as well.

Potato
06-21-2007, 05:33 PM
I actually have the S.A.C. albums, but I didn't know whether getting those instead of [album x] was a faux pas. The Second Gig opening theme got stuck in my head for weeks.

Jakanden
06-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Ok, sorry for being alive ;_;

You put something like this on a forum with the kind of people who are here, you are always going to miss SOMETHING and get called for it. Don't sweat it.

mr_bungle700
06-21-2007, 06:41 PM
I actually have the S.A.C. albums, but I didn't know whether getting those instead of [album x] was a faux pas. The Second Gig opening theme got stuck in my head for weeks.

There isn't really a wrong Kanno soundtrack to start with. Everything, and I mean everything (http://dodue.free.fr/ykw/disco/discochrono.htm), she has done has been good. I'm gonna agree with M.Nicolai here and say that her best overall work is Cowboy Bebop though, mainly because it covers such a wide variety of styles so successfully. But really, you can't go wrong even if you just pick Kanno albums at random.

Personally, I love her work for Bebop, Escaflowne, Macross Plus, Stand Alone Complex, Arjuna, Napple Tale, Turn A Gundam, and...well, honestly I don't really dislike any Kanno soundtrack so this list is pointless. Just get whatever interests you.

shivam
06-21-2007, 07:11 PM
kanno is quite probably the best composer in anime overall. the only person who comes close in my eyes is the composer of Noir/dot Hack.

mr_bungle700
06-21-2007, 07:52 PM
The only problem I have with Yuki Kajiura is that she doesn't seem to have a whole lot of range. Otherwise she's very talented, yes.

Sanagi
06-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Besides Cowboy Bebop and Macross Plus, I also really like the Arjuna soundtrack. It's wonderfully weird.

Kolbe
06-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Personally, I believe she's the Mozart of our times. I mean, everything she does, EVERYTHING is great.

I also recommend the not-anime-or-game-related album 'Song to Fly'.

blitzchamp
06-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Objectively, I'd have to say Cowboy Bebop is the best.

I will second that. Her music is what helped make Cowboy Bebop such a good series.

shivam
06-25-2007, 12:26 PM
i believe that anything kanno wants to make, i want to hear.

Sanagi
06-25-2007, 05:25 PM
i believe that anything kanno wants to make, i want to hear.
Well, there are some things of hers that are good soundtrack pieces but not so great for listening to out of context, like the freaky out-of-tune carnival music from Pierrot Le Fou. Which on the box set is prefaced by Mad Pierrot laughing maniacally, just to give it that extra dose of disturbing.