PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid theme was composed in 1974! (Kinda)

Kolbe
06-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Look at Kojima's expression when he found out, ha ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTcNUoxCmHI

j00ey
06-22-2007, 08:45 AM
there was an expression? you had me expecting him to fall back in his chair and pull back his hair with his hands,sighing then staring blankly for a few minutes, while the interpreter just sits there calmly and goes "what should we do?" and then ashton kutcher walks in and kojima screams with a mixture of laughter and everybody starts laughing and kojima goes "AAAAH! FUCK YOU!!! I KNEW THI--I KNEW IT! GOD DAMN"

Maggie
06-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Seems similar, but I don't know. As for expressions, I was hoping an exclamation point would appear above his head.

But isn't Kojima usually pretty open about what influences him? And if he wants a song for his games, he pretty much just asks and gets that actual song. Eh, I don't know.

thomp538
06-22-2007, 02:14 PM
You see, the peanut also was inwented in mother Russia!

gamin
06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
I've always wondered, who was the original composer for MGS? I know Noriko Hibino did a lot of music for 2 and 3.

Red Hedgehog
06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I was expecting more of a reaction. The dude maintained a pretty good composure for discovering that the theme song of his video game series plagiarized a Russian composer. I give him props for that.

wumpwoast
06-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Well the Gameboy Tetris "C-Type" music was written in the late 17th century by Bach. What a rip-off. :)

Justin

Merus
06-23-2007, 10:54 AM
I guess this gives Kojima a good excuse not to have to make a fifth one.

dangerhelvetica
06-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Doesn't sound all that similar to me.

The composer of the main theme was TAPPY: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAPPY

Calorie Mate
06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
I like that there's been a thread with the words "Metal Gear" in the title that's gone on this long without Tomm Guycot, TheSL, or myself posting in it.

bobservo
06-23-2007, 06:41 PM
I can hear a few vague similarities and - if this story is true - it's an homage at best. When this was discovered I really hated the way people were trying to sell it as a scandal.

Kolbe
06-23-2007, 09:49 PM
I find it more funny than scandalous.

Mightyblue
06-23-2007, 10:02 PM
And this is newsworthy how? Honestly, it must've been a slow day at the rumor mill for this to have gotten as big as it has.

If the guy in charge of the game has never heard whatever music the main theme purportedly plagiarizes, and has nothing to do with the music beyond "Oh, that sounds good," how is it his fault at all?

Last time I checked, people realized that not everyone in the world knows everything. Another problem I have with this is why didn't people bring this up ten YEARS ago when the original game came out?

Sheesh.

Maggie
06-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Another problem I have with this is why didn't people bring this up ten YEARS ago when the original game came out?

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable, long and convulated explanation for this. Speaking of which, you fool, it was I who killed your father all those years ago. Now if you'll excuse me, my right hand has suddenly got a mind of its own. I think liquid's coming.

Zef
06-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Now if you'll excuse me, my right hand has suddenly got a mind of its own. I think liquid's coming.

And this is where the importance of capital letters in proper names becomes apparent.

Otherwise... TMI, man.

Maggie
06-24-2007, 03:34 PM
And this is where the importance of capital letters in proper names becomes apparent.

Otherwise... TMI, man.

Yeah, I was probably a little too proud of that. We can't all be high-brow. Well, I mean, I can't.