PDA

View Full Version : Bone

Jakanden
06-03-2007, 01:53 PM
I picked up the Bone: One Volume Edition (http://www.amazon.com/Bone-One-Jeff-Smith/dp/188896314X) last week and started reading it over the weekend while I was out of town. It took me a bit to get into it, but now I am totally hooked.

I am sure others here have read this and I am curious as to what you think about it.

Excitemike
06-03-2007, 02:24 PM
I haven't thought about it until now, but Bone was the book that made me stop buying monthlies. I read the first couple of issues and loved it but the wait from month to month was grueling, so I just waited until the books came out. Then I took it a step too far and just waited for the series to finish and it fell off my radar. I've admired the one-volume edition for awhile. They had to go to a press that prints Bibles to make it.

Anyway, the series is terrific. Jeff Smith captured the warmth, humor and adventure of the old Disney strips in a way that is his own. It is a completely realized world with it's own sense of logic. Recommended for everyone who has a soul.

Sanagi
06-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Bone is the kind of fantasy story that you wish people would still make, but they don't. Except for Bone. So, yay!

mr_bungle700
06-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, Bone is pretty much required reading in the field of comics.

Maggie
06-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I haven't read it, but I did see that volume (I think) at Hastings, used, for a dollar. I was really close to buying it, but I kept wondering why it was only a dollar. Book that size. Kind of odd. I ended up stuffing it on a random shelf and wiping my hands off. Pages were probably stuck together or something. A dollar for something like that? That book has clearly been terrible places.

BEAT
06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Bone is totally awesome.

Chu
06-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Strangely enough I first heard about Bone from a site that featured rumors of movies that were going to be made in the future. I think I heard that Nickelodeon was going to make an animated adaptation of the series, but Jeff Smith pulled out when they threatened to pollute it with teen pop songs.

Anyway, when I saw the first two volumes of the comic in my local library, I picked them up immediately and got hooked. I ended up buying every single volume of the series seperately, including "Stupid, Stupid Rat Tales" (but not "Rose"), right before the single volume book came out. D'oh.

I should make a note to read through it again this summer.

nadia
06-03-2007, 07:26 PM
My only regret in reading "Bone" is that I bought the one-volume edition instead of shelling out a bit more for the colour collections.

I have to admit the ending felt a little half-assed, but overall A+++.

Guy
06-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Bone: A Comic Book Review by Fujin.

LOVE.

CAPTIVATING.

CHARMING.

CHARACTERS.

WITTY.

ENDING.

SAD.

Sheana
06-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Oh man I totally grew up on Bone. Like, I first started reading it so young that I didn't quite know much about comics (b&w ones in particular) yet, picked up the holiday special first, and thought it was some sort of epic coloring book.

Jeff Smith is a comicking hero o' mine. It meanders a tiny bit in one or two places (mainly the Roque Ja arc), but overall it is excellent from start to finish. I have the huge phonebook-sized collection that has the whole damn thing in one book. Funnily enough, my brother and I got each other the exact same thing (that book) for each other last Christmas, hah.

...So, yeah, I love Bone. I think the in-progress colorization of the comic is a crime, BUT I also think that if it could be adapted gorgeously into a 2D animated movie or three. There's some truly epic imagery in there.

bobservo
06-03-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm a huge Bone fan, but I missed out on the last year or so of the comics. The sad thing is, I've had the one-volume edition for almost three years and I've never read it. I'm just really reluctant to see how it ends.

Sheana
06-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I personally think it ended very well, so I say go for it and dig in.

Jakanden
06-04-2007, 04:51 AM
Glad to see I am not the only fan of it (I didn't think I would be). I hit book 2 last night.

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 07:00 AM
Has anyone here read Jeff Smith's Captain Marvel series? I think I'll wait until it's collected to finish it, but I picked up the first issue and it's off to a great start.

Sheana
06-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh, I was totally going to mention that last night! But forgot, of course.

My local comic shop (yay I have a local comic shop now) was out of Issue One when I got around to it, but I did get Issues Two and Three. I'd say it's pretty good stuff, yeah. Nice to know Smith isn't a one-trick pony. He gets bonus points for un-laming Talky Tawny and making him plausible.

Things Smith Does Well: monsters, big cats, adorable children and tiny megalomaniacs. All are present in The Monster Society Of Evil.

estragon
06-09-2007, 09:50 PM
You guys, I bought the one volume edition yesterday because of this thread, and I'm in love with it. I zoomed through a hundred pages of it, and I wanted to just finish the whole thing in one sitting. But, I'm going to stretch this out to make it last. It's so hard not to start reading it again right now, but it's too good to be over so soon.

Jakanden
06-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I am somewhere around page 1200 so I should have it finished fairly soon. Damn good book I must say.

locit
06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
I seem to recall Jeff Smith talking in one of the supplementary sections of Bone about how the entire valley is based off of one of his favourite childhood areas in the Midwest or something- things like Old Man's Cave and such all being based off of real-life counterparts. Does anyone remember where said location was?