PDA

View Full Version : Yippee-ki-yay, melon farmer.

Calorie Mate
06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
I love TV edits.

Anyway, who else is stoked about a new Die Hard?

Maggie
06-25-2007, 11:35 AM
I don't know, maybe. I might just wait for the DVD. The title kind of annoys me.

My favorite TV edit is from, what was it? The Professional, I think. Gary Oldman shouts "I don't have time for this Mickey Mouse bullsquash!"

The only way it could have possibly been better would be if he had said another random Disney character for the edit. You know, just for the hell of it.

sraymonds
06-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Two thumbs up on the thread title, C.Mate. I also would have accepted the phrase "mother lover" or "Mr. Falcon" in place of "melon farmer".

I'm looking forward to the further adventures of John McClane, but the new one is rated PG 13. That means they're only allowed one mention of the word "fuck", and we all know how it's going to be uttered. Unless the MPAA count "motherfucker" as a different beast completely.

Thinaran
06-25-2007, 01:18 PM
It's a different beast.

I read they're doing it "Yippie-ki-yay, mother-"*gunshot*.

openedsource
06-25-2007, 01:21 PM
The only way it could have possibly been better would be if he had said another random Disney character for the edit. You know, just for the hell of it.

I have a grand vision of an extremely profane music video, where various Disney character names are substituted for every off-color word.

Go get that up on Youtube, stat!

cartman414
06-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I have a grand vision of an extremely profane music video, where various Disney character names are substituted for every off-color word.

Go get that up on Youtube, stat!

You mean like "What the Donald Duck?" Sorry, that's the best I can come up with right now.

Sheana
06-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Don't think I'll be seeing it. I saw the trailer at the movies day before yesterday, and I just sort of sat and stared at it in disbelief and growing boredom as one improbable and pointless special effects bonanza action sequence after another unrolled before my eyes.

Parish
06-25-2007, 02:05 PM
My favorite TV edit: The Big Lebowski.

"This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!"

Red Hedgehog
06-25-2007, 02:18 PM
My favorite TV (technically airplane) edit: Anchorman

"I've heard that San Diego is German for a whale's falafel."

Obviously Bill O'Reilly's scandal was fresh in their minds when they were doing the clean dub.

NoKidding
06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Um. Can someone explain these TV edit things to me? Are they for real? I mean, I know swearing isn't allowed on national american television, but do they really do that? And if they do, wtf?

Mightyblue
06-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Yeah, or they just bleep or blank it out.

shivam
06-25-2007, 02:21 PM
yes, they really do that.

NoKidding
06-25-2007, 02:23 PM
I gotta say, That's pretty pathetic. Makes me kinda glad I don't live in America.

Maggie
06-25-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure if this is a real TV edit since I made it up, but I hope it is.

From the Exorcist: "Your mother folds socks in hell."

Guy
06-25-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that in Fargo, they replaced every instance of "fucking" with "frozen".

There's also a point in the Matrix where Neo says "Jeepers Creepers" instead of "Jesus Christ".

Schmidt
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Let's turn this into another Galaxy Quest thread! In the actual movie as it was released in theaters, not a TV edited version, there are several times you can see a "shit" or "fuck" was redubbed as something less offensive to bring it down to a PG-13. I'm not sure what they were thinking recording it that way in the first place; I can't imagine they were ever even considering releasing it as a R film, but oh well.

Mazian
06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
The police lineup in The Usual Suspects also suffered under the TV-editing knife.

"Give me the keys, you fairy godmother!"

Torgo
06-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Anyway, who else is stoked about a new Die Hard?
It will certainly be more entertaining then the perpetually in-limbo Old Indiana Jones Chronicles.

nadia
06-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I've never heard any of these edits (as much as I love "Your mother folds socks in hell"), but I don't think movies are usually edited on national Canadian stations. They're just stuffed with so many commercials, no one'll stay around long enough to complain about content anyway.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-25-2007, 11:39 PM
PG-13 That's all I have to say.

That alone makes it worthless. Do you understand that means the title of the thread isn't a joke. They are unable to say Yippee Kay Yeah Mother Fucker, as Fuck cannot be used in sexual context in a PG-13 movie.

Yet they're using it in all the ads.

This is know as wicked retardeth.

The stupid thing about it is that Die Hard has always been sold on being the action franchise that is, well Hard. Remember Old Man Nakatomi's brains hitting the glass?

The other stupid thing is thirteen year old kids don't give a fuck about John Mc Lane this is an old ass franchise. Case in point I showed my 16 year old sister the movie for the first time this weekend, she never even heard of it before.

This isn't your normal sixteen year old girl either, this is one who has been raised by a rabid cinephile, (myself) and a genial movie geek (my brother).

She's seen all the old franchises (Indy, Star Wars, Gremlins, Ghostbusters what have you) and is currently more excited for Rambo IV.

And she's the target audience.

This thing will be a disaster on every level.

I bought the Die Hard Boxset, not knowing it contained a free ticket and my reaction was "I guess I'll go..." I probably wouldn't have seen the movie otherwise.

This is rather horrifying to me.

nadia
06-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Wait, I'm sorry, are you saying the new Die Hard is PG-13?!

Evil Dead Junkie
06-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Yes.

Very.

Tomm Guycot
06-25-2007, 11:48 PM
LOL. Of all the target demographics Die Hard might have, I don't think females is one of them.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Trust me she has the love of destruction of an 8 year old boy stomping a sand castle.

And I'm referring to her youth as the demographic.

Guy
06-26-2007, 02:16 AM
It's Yippee-Ki-Ay, Mother-(gunshot). That's what I've been hearing, anyway. To be fair, I've also heard that it's only edited down as PG-13 to attract a wider audience for the theatrical release, and that there's going to be an unrated DVD released simultaneously with the theatrical DVD that has all of the motherfuckers intact.

And I don't blame your sister for looking forward to John Rambo more than Die Hard With a Vengeance. Rambo is ten times the badass that John McClane will ever be.

Jeanie
06-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Ok guys, I went back and looked again at the interview Bruce Willis gave in Playboy this month and he specifically mentioned the you can only saw fuck once thing. From what it sounds like, based on what he said, he says the line properly and no gunshot covers it. You also have to realise that what everyone is refering to is on a commercial on tv or the trailer which EVERY trailer is shown as approriate for all ages. So any swear words are gonna be edited.

sraymonds
06-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Ok guys, I went back and looked again at the interview Bruce Willis gave in Playboy this month and he specifically mentioned the you can only saw fuck once thing. From what it sounds like, based on what he said, he says the line properly and no gunshot covers it. You also have to realise that what everyone is refering to is on a commercial on tv or the trailer which EVERY trailer is shown as approriate for all ages. So any swear words are gonna be edited.

You read Playboy just for the articles, right?

I'm willing to give them a chance at a PG-13 Die Hard. I reserve all further judgment until after the movie, but for right now, I'm excited.

Guy
06-26-2007, 08:43 AM

The following is from Jim Emmerson's review of the movie in the Chicago Sun-Times:

There's a lot more action and elaborate stunt work and more humor in the fourth "Die Hard" than in the original, but it's all done at the PG-13 level. (That means the violence factor is ratcheted up but the language is toned down.) When McClane serves up his most famous comeback, it has to be truncated; after all, you can't say the whole "yippee-ki-yay" line in a PG-13 movie any more than you can print it in a newspaper review.

sraymonds
06-26-2007, 09:18 AM
AW HELL NAW

Guy
06-26-2007, 09:28 AM
AW HECK NAW

sraymonds
06-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I write in protest of the forced changes to my post. I had originally post "AW HELL NAW" but soon saw that my post was changed to "AW HECK NAW". The word hell is a common word, and is generally not considered to be one of the worst curse words in our English vernacular. Therefore, I propose that the changes made be undone.

Sincerely,
SRaymonds

Guy
06-26-2007, 09:38 AM
No. Go frell yourself.

Sincerely,
Guy

sraymonds
06-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Eat a duck, you son of a bulldog.

Guy
06-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Suck on a Dickens.

Jeanie
06-26-2007, 09:56 AM
You read Playboy just for the articles, right?

No, I read it because it has naked women in it. However after I look at said women, I'll go back and read the articles. Honestly if you don't read the articles in a Playboy, you're getting kinda ripped off as there are other ways to see naked women for much less.

Calorie Mate
06-26-2007, 11:27 AM
I think not giving this movie a chance because of a lack of swearing is a terrible idea. I'll admit that Die Hard is all about cursing, but I think the movie will still be enjoyable. Besides, nobody's expecting this to top the original, any way. Don't think about it, sit back, and enjoy the ride.

Two thumbs up on the thread title, C.Mate. I also would have accepted the phrase "mother lover" or "Mr. Falcon" in place of "melon farmer".

Thanks! I was this close to using "Mr. Falcon", but I've always found "melon farmer" to be one of my absolute favorites...plus, if I remember correctly, I first heard "melon farmer" the first time I saw Die Hard on TV.

Maggie
06-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks! I was this close to using "Mr. Falcon", but I've always found "melon farmer" to be one of my absolute favorites...plus, if I remember correctly, I first heard "melon farmer" the first time I saw Die Hard on TV.

It's fun because it tells a story, too. Heck, it even adds subtext to the movie! It was just about terrorism before, but now we're getting into McLane's curious bitterness towards those he considers lower class.

And you just know some poor melon farmer somewhere is watching this and goes "Hey, what the hell!?"

VsRobot
06-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Underworld SUCKS, so why let the director of that shitty movie make Die Hard 4? Get a real fucking action director. I don't care that he gets to bang the superhot Kate Beckinsale, he should stay the fuck away from Die Hard, go back to ripping off White Wolf for his shitty Goth masturbation fantasies.

That asshole Justin Long (Mac ad guy) SUCKS, so why is he in Die Hard? What's next, Lethal Weapon starring the guy from "Dude, you're getting a Dell"? Also, the first movie had the sublime Alan Rickman as the main villiain, and this movie has fucking Tim Olyphant, who you might remember as the bad guy in the extremely shitty Risky Business rip-off "Girl Next Door." WHAT THE FUCK. DOWNGRADE TOTAL.

The plot is retarded. John McClane vs THE INTERNET? Is it 1996 or something? Was Hackers the biggest hit of all time? WTF WTF WTF.

PG13? PG13?!?!! 13 year old kids are too busy Wiking or crowdsourcing or ghost ridin' the whip or whatever the fuck these assholes do when they're not raising the underage pregnancy statistics to see Die Hard 4, and none of them even know what the fuck it is anyway. I'm surprised their isn't some shitty animated prequel or dumbass ARG to promote it. This shitty cashgrab, lowest common-denominator bullshit sequel is nonsense, and I wouldn't watch it even if it came with a free blowjob from the director's wife.

There is no chance this movie will hold even a candle to the original, THE FINEST ACTION MOVIE EVER MADE, it's release should be canceled and the negative burned.

Jeanie
06-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Wow, that's a lot of hate.

openedsource
06-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Underworld STINKS, so why let the director of that shoddy movie make Die Hard 4? Get a real funky action director. I don't care that he gets to hang with the superhot Kate Beckinsale, he should stay the goofy away from Die Hard, go back to ripping off White Wolf for his shoddy Goth exploitation fantasies.

That airhead Justin Long (Mac ad guy) STINKS, so why is he in Die Hard? What's next, Lethal Weapon starring the guy from "Dude, you're getting a Dell"? Also, the first movie had the sublime Alan Rickman as the main villiain, and this movie has flippy Tim Olyphant, who you might remember as the bad guy in the extremely hit movie Risky Business rip-off "Girl Next Door." WHAT THE FARMER. DOWNGRADE TOTAL.

The plot is challenged. John McClane vs THE INTERNET? Is it 1996 or something? Was Hackers the biggest hit of all time? WHAT'S GOING ON.

PG13? PG13?!?!! 13 year old kids are too busy Wiking or crowdsourcing or ghost ridin' the whip or whatever the heck these antheads do when they're not raising the underage productivity statistics to see Die Hard 4, and none of them even know what the hoo-ha it is anyway. I'm surprised their isn't some p-diddy animated prequel or dumb crass ARG to promote it. This crummy cashgrab, lowest common-denominator doohickey sequel is nonsense, and I wouldn't watch it even if it came with a free hug from the director's wife.

There is no chance this movie will hold even a candle to the original, THE FINEST ACTION MOVIE EVER MADE, it's release should be canceled and the negative burned.

This comment has been edited for television viewers.

Schmidt
06-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Underworld SUCKS, so why let the director of that shitty movie make Die Hard 4? Get a real fucking action director. I don't care that he gets to bang the superhot Kate Beckinsale, he should stay the fuck away from Die Hard, go back to ripping off White Wolf for his shitty Goth masturbation fantasies.

That asshole Justin Long (Mac ad guy) SUCKS, so why is he in Die Hard? What's next, Lethal Weapon starring the guy from "Dude, you're getting a Dell"? Also, the first movie had the sublime Alan Rickman as the main villiain, and this movie has fucking Tim Olyphant, who you might remember as the bad guy in the extremely shitty Risky Business rip-off "Girl Next Door." WHAT THE FUCK. DOWNGRADE TOTAL.

The plot is retarded. John McClane vs THE INTERNET? Is it 1996 or something? Was Hackers the biggest hit of all time? WTF WTF WTF.

PG13? PG13?!?!! 13 year old kids are too busy Wiking or crowdsourcing or ghost ridin' the whip or whatever the fuck these assholes do when they're not raising the underage pregnancy statistics to see Die Hard 4, and none of them even know what the fuck it is anyway. I'm surprised their isn't some shitty animated prequel or dumbass ARG to promote it. This shitty cashgrab, lowest common-denominator bullshit sequel is nonsense, and I wouldn't watch it even if it came with a free blowjob from the director's wife.

I was with you until you trashed Olyphant. I've heard nothing but good things about his performance in Girl Next Door, and I can personally vouch that he was awesome in Deadwood, and he's the only reason I hold out any hope of Hitman being even watchable. It would be presumptuous to say he's Rickman's equal, but it's hardly fair to call him a DOWNGRADE TOTAL. He's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the movie.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Calling Timothy Oliphant the guy who did the Girl Next Door is like writing Jeromy Irons off as that dude from D&D.

He's the one bit of the movie I have confidence in.

Guy
06-26-2007, 06:35 PM
I think Die Hard 2 was actually a bit better than the first. There was a greater sense of urgency since Holly's plane could have crashed at any time, and it didn't have that one stupid cop from the first movie whose job it was to make stupid decisions and then yell at Bruce Willis for being too hardcore. And the bad guys seemed just a touch evil-er.

VsRobot
06-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Girl Next Door is garbage, and Olyphant is awful in it.

I've only seen a little bit of Deadwood, but he plays a hero in it and thus doesn't have any bearing on my opinion of him as the H4X0R villain of Die Hard 4.0 (The super lame international title). I don't even think DeNiro or Pacino in their prime could make a good H4X0R bad guy in a PG13 sequel aimed at the Wild Hogs and Norbit audience.

Schmidt
06-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Promise me you'll never change your avatar. I want to be sure I can write off your opinions on movies without even wasting the time to read your user name in the future.

sraymonds
06-26-2007, 07:29 PM
"PG13 sequel aimed at the Wild Hogs and Norbit audience."

Whoa, hold on there. There seem to be quite a few people in the forums looking forward to Die Hard, and from what I can tell, these aren't people that would enjoy watching shit like Norbit.

Maggie
06-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm gonna have to throw my support behind Olyphant, as well. He's kind of weird in a lot of his roles. On the other hand, he seems like a pretty nice guy, so you kinda wanna root for him.

Norbit, though... God. Watching that movie was sort of the cinematic equivalent of being sick in bed all day with a stomach virus. And the only thing on TV is Norbit.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-26-2007, 08:13 PM
I think Die Hard 2 was actually a bit better than the first. There was a greater sense of urgency since Holly's plane could have crashed at any time, and it didn't have that one stupid cop from the first movie whose job it was to make stupid decisions and then yell at Bruce Willis for being too hardcore. And the bad guys seemed just a touch evil-er.

Watching Die Hard 2 right now.

Its a fun movie don't get me wrong, but it ain't Die Hard. It doesn't have that one stupid cop but it has Dennis Farna as an even dumber cop.

And the bad guy is sorta bland, he is certainly not Hans Fucking Gruber.

sraymonds
06-26-2007, 08:20 PM
And the bad guy is sorta bland, he is certainly not Hans Fucking Gruber.

No one can ever be Hans Fucking Gruber. NO ONE. Except Snape.

VsRobot
06-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Blah Blah Blah - it's amazing what sleeping 8 hours can do to your perceptions.

Maggie
06-26-2007, 08:23 PM
I live in constant paranoid fear that I'm on the ignore lists of half the members here, and when they seem to be responding to me, they're really responding to someone that I can't see because that person has me on some kind of reverse ignore list.

It's tiring.

Maggie
06-26-2007, 09:17 PM
EDIT: Well, huh. Nevermind, then. O_o

Merus
06-27-2007, 12:48 AM
My attack on DH4 was obvious hyperbole, for entertainment purposes

Entertaining to you, clearly not to everyone else.

If you really don't like what I have to say, put me on your ignore list, otherwise STFU and leave me alone -- I could not care less about trying to impress you.

Man, I'm really not used to forums where people think it's alright to be an asshole and civility has been traded for ignore lists. I have lead a sheltered existence!

Maggie
06-27-2007, 04:03 AM
Man, I'm really not used to forums where people think it's alright to be an asshole and civility has been traded for ignore lists. I have lead a sheltered existence!

It usually really isn't, from what I've seen. People here are generally good, and from what I understand (though I don't want to speak for anyone), VSRobot is just really stressed out and overworked and I mean, you know how that goes. It really isn't something that happens a lot here. In fact, this is the first time I've really seen it happen in these last two incarnations of the boards and I'm sure everything'll be fine.

sraymonds
06-27-2007, 05:58 AM
I concur with what Brandon said.

openedsource
06-27-2007, 06:21 AM
I will certainly be seeing the movie eventually because, hey, I get screeners and prerelease DVDs for free all the time, might as well as least check it out.

pls seed. kthx.

VsRobot
06-27-2007, 08:10 AM
pls seed. kthx.

I run a video store, I get stuff early, I watch some of it, most of it is crap. I've only ever torrented one movie my whole life, "Hot Fuzz", because the UK got it way earlier than us.

This thread turned into a lot of bitching about a movie no one here has seen.

I guess I'm not good at irony? I thought saying a lot of cusses in a thread about tv edits of movies was pretty obvious. I didn't think anyone would take criticism of a movie they've never seen so personally.

The real irony is that I respect Schmidt 99% of the time, otherwise he would be on my ignore list. I am not shy about using the ignore list to reshape this forum as I see fit. So far I only have two people banned, one Neogaffer and one anti-semite, and I think both were justifiable.

Someone said I'm tired? I don't remember talking about how today is my 30th day in a row without a day off, I come home and my right sock is soaked with blood every day, and I'm fucking exhausted and burned out and this place isn't much fun. I apologize for hijacking the thread to grind my personal axes -- but whatever, this is the internet. Sorry guys. sadcat.gif.

In conclusion: ~nyoro.

openedsource
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Just trying to lighten the mood.

Calorie Mate
06-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Dude, VsRobot, you're totally wrong about Die Hard 4. Well, at least, you're wrong to be that prejudice against something you haven't seen yet. I agree that I'm wary about a few things, but as I said before, does anyone honestly expect this to be as good as the original? Like you, I hold Die Hard to be THE best action movie of all time. No one's questioning that, and no one's expecting this to be held on the same pedestal. We're all just expecting a good time, and I'm fully confident Die Hard 4 can still provide that.

People freaking out about assholes on the board - don't. VsRobot, on this board and the previous one, has always generally been a nice guy. I've never seen him explode like that, and he didn't even explode at anyone, just a movie he's not looking forward to. No biggie. You're still a good guy in my book, VsRobot.

Schmidt
06-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I saw Live Free or Die Hard last night, and it was basically awesome. The main complaint you could level at it is in the editing, which is largely in places where you can see they were redubbing dialog for the PG-13, and a few strange cuts in some action sequences that could've been for the rating, or could've just been bad editing. And yeah, it does end with "Yippie-ki-yay, motherfu-*GUNSHOT*", but it didn't kill the movie.

Everyone does a great job, Willis, "I'm a Mac", and Olyphant as well. "I'm a Mac" is actually really funny, his dialog is perfect.

Other than the PG-13/edit quibbles, it's as great as the idea of Die Hard 4 could possibly be, which is better than most people realize.

NoKidding
06-27-2007, 11:15 AM
An anti-semite? Where? Lemme at him.

Guy
06-27-2007, 12:34 PM
"I'm a Mac" really isn't that bad in general. I liked him in Galaxy Quest.

ozacrot
06-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I was also surprised at how not-terrible Justin Long was in the role. Maybe because the focus wasn't really on him?

And incidentally, did the absurdity of some of the action scenes remind anybody else of boss fights in Metal Gear Solid? "A Hind-D?"

Schmidt
06-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Pffft. It's perfectly logical for the jet to hover menacingly long enough that it has to veer away from the truck before finally opening fire.

A lot of the action and stunts were over the top, I agree, but that worked fine for me.

Sheana
06-27-2007, 03:44 PM
There is such a thing as too much. There's only so much Entertainment Value you can get out of that sort of thing before it gets tiresome and intelligence-insulting. Hollywood needs to give it a rest already.

Schmidt
06-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Opinions are bound to vary, but I didn't feel like Die Hard quite crossed the line into too much. Certainly no more so than its predecessors, which seems to be the standard most people are holding it to.

VsRobot
06-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Dude, VsRobot, you're totally wrong about Die Hard 4. Well, at least, you're wrong to be that prejudice against something you haven't seen yet.

It was totally a joke. I said I wanted the negative burned, for crying out loud! I love film and would never want to destroy any piece of cinema, not even Norbit. Now that folks have seen the movie, we can discuss it's relative merits free of hyperbole. (However, I will be seeing Ratatouille ASAP and Die Hard 4.0 sometime down the line when I have more free time)

I am bailing out of this thread now because I am deathly afraid of spoilers. Love you guys! Please love me back!

Schmidt
06-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Dude, VsRobot, you're totally wrong for not wanting Norbit destroyed.

thomp538
06-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Seconded, banned. (and your BFF Jill)

VsRobot
06-27-2007, 04:58 PM

It should be shown in every actors studio and film class from now on, in order to prevent it's like from happening again.

Also: Little Man.

Merus
06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
It should be shown in every actors studio and film class from now on, in order to prevent it's like from happening again.

Also: Little Man.
They do say one should suffer for their art.

locit
06-27-2007, 07:35 PM
I once saw Blazing Saddles on the Fox Family Channel. It was like one long, uninterrupted beep. Is there still a Fox Family Channel? Let's hope not. In any case, they also replaced the classic Die Hard line with "Yippee ki yay mister falcon." I was thoroughly entertained.

Torgo
06-27-2007, 07:54 PM
I once saw Blazing Saddles on the Fox Family Channel. It was like one long, uninterrupted beep. Is there still a Fox Family Channel?
I think they finally named it something that makes sense. I don't know who decided their programming, but Blazing Saddles? Criminy.

Jeanie
06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I think they finally named it something that makes sense. I don't know who decided their programming, but Blazing Saddles? Criminy.

It's now ABC Family, so that means it's own by Disney. Let that soak in for a bit.

Also I was really suprised the time I saw them airing Cruel Intentions. I'm not sure what Family they mean in ABC Family, but that's a messed up family.

Guy
06-28-2007, 02:04 AM
I just saw Live Free or Die Hard and loved it, but the jet scene really got me for the simple fact that jet guy didn't seem to have any qualms at all about shooting missiles at the truck. I might have just not been paying attention, but I'm pretty sure there were enough cars on the road to merit a bit of discretion before, you know, blowing the fuck out of everything.

Also, I found myself really liking Justin Long. Except for when his character was spouting media conspiracy theories out of his ass, of course.

Merus
06-28-2007, 11:04 AM
It's now ABC Family, so that means it's own by Disney. Let that soak in for a bit.

Also I was really suprised the time I saw them airing Cruel Intentions. I'm not sure what Family they mean in ABC Family, but that's a messed up family.
I read a book about Disney under Eisner and the takeover bid for the company: apparently, ABC Family wasn't allowed to show any of ABC's programs due to a political hissy-fit. They had to make do with whatever they could get.

There were also a few attempts to relaunch the channel for a different market, as I recall. None worked.

Jeanie
06-28-2007, 11:10 AM
I read a book about Disney under Eisner and the takeover bid for the company: apparently, ABC Family wasn't allowed to show any of ABC's programs due to a political hissy-fit. They had to make do with whatever they could get.

There were also a few attempts to relaunch the channel for a different market, as I recall. None worked.

well that's changed as now I can watch reruns of the Drew Carey version of Whose Line.

Calorie Mate
06-28-2007, 11:23 AM

It's like staring into a mirror.

Deadguy2322
06-28-2007, 12:24 PM
The single best replacement ever would have to be in the TBS edited version of Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle.

The insult "Cockboy" is replaced with the word "Cowboy".

The guy who is being insulted is still shocked at this epithet coming from the formerly-mild-mannered Harold.

My wife and I now laugh uncontrollably at anything with Cowboy in it.

Also fun to see all the things in the movie that were removed, but are still referenced by reaction shots.

WTF is TBS showing a stoner tit-com for, anyway?

Another good TBS replacement was in the Michael Mann masterpiece Heat.

Motherfucker becomes Monkey Freaker.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Well I saw it.

It's strange everything I feared it to be it was. Die Hard 24, PG-13 as hell.

But for whatever reason it didn't bother me much. Definitely the least of the Die Hards, but a cut or two above the summer swill.

Kishi
06-30-2007, 09:48 PM

Parish stole mine.

ShakeWell
07-01-2007, 11:09 AM

Hell yes! "This is what happens, Larry! This is what happens! This is what happens... when you find a stranger in the Alps!"

I'm also a fan of Half-Baked: "Get me a box of condoms, and some of that [stuff] we used to eat all the time back in the day... [pudding]."

Evil Dead Junkie
07-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Au Contrair sir the greatest Half Baked edit is.

"I used to suck FEET for cocaine, did you ever suck FEET for Marijuana?"

Kishi
07-08-2007, 09:36 PM
So, this movie was actually pretty good! I went in totally high on skepticism, but aside from "motherf[GUNSHOT]," it didn't seem like anything at all was compromised for the PG-13 rating. And while the plot did appear to be goofy as hell at first, it was gradually expounded upon throughout the course of the picture until it actually achieved credibility. Competence, even.

Evil Dead Junkie
07-08-2007, 09:49 PM
OK The movie was fine and all but it cracks me up that people keep saying it wasn't PG-13.

THE BAD GUYS DIDN'T BLEED!!!

NOT EVEN THE ONE CHOPPED UP IN THE FAN!!!!

Kishi
07-08-2007, 09:53 PM
It was still violent as hell, though. If anything, the lack of bloodspray just made it come off as even more realistic.

Sarcasmorator
07-08-2007, 11:10 PM
OK The movie was fine and all but it cracks me up that people keep saying it wasn't PG-13.

THE BAD GUYS DIDN'T BLEED!!!

NOT EVEN THE ONE CHOPPED UP IN THE FAN!!!!

That's the trouble with cardboard villains.

Evil Dead Junkie
07-08-2007, 11:57 PM
It was still violent as hell, though. If anything, the lack of bloodspray just made it come off as even more realistic.

Look if I hit you with a range rover then drive you through a couple of walls at which point you get slammed into a metal shaft, you're gonna have some blood on you.

Maggie
07-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Look if I hit you with a range rover then drive you through a couple of walls at which point you get slammed into a metal shaft, you're gonna have some blood on you.

Prove it!

Everyone hide.