PDA

View Full Version : FC15: Burnout Paradise

Parish
01-22-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't think this game is really spoiler-able, so just one thread. This is a thread for playing and discussing! If you want to rant about it being different than other Burnout games, go cry somewhere else. You big baby.

Burnout Paradise
Criterion (or whatever they're called now) | Racing | Xbox 360/PS3 | 2008

I don't know if this game will be any good, but I admire the fact that the developers are doing something different when it would be so much easier to simply offer a prettier take on last gen's versions. Smash and chat here.

reibeatall
01-22-2008, 03:15 PM
So, I'm smiling a lot. I've been playing for thirty minutes, and so far, this game's had more "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME" moments than most games I played last year. Guys, we need to have a Burnout Night tonight.

sraymonds
01-22-2008, 03:43 PM
I picked this up for the PS3. Where are my PS3ennites?

djSyndrome
01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I picked this up for the PS3. Where are my PS3ennites?

My copy shipped today and should be here on Thursday, God/Buddha/Allah/Kim Jong Il Willing.

SamuelMarston
01-22-2008, 03:59 PM
I am happier now that I got all of the audio settings tweaked to my liking.

I'm already addicted to this... I told myself I would stop playing two hours ago and here I am.

I love the Hunter Reliable line.

reibeatall
01-22-2008, 04:28 PM
So, the "boss" cars are a really neat addition.

SamuelMarston
01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Best drift: 2.9 miles.

I could have gone longer, but I got bored. Suppose there's an achievement there somewhere?

Matchstick
01-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I picked this up today and put in about 2 hours after I got home. I can see it's going to be a sinkhole for me. It couples my enjoyment of the fast and furious (no pun intended) Burnout action with the ocd completionist tendencies of open world games. I fear for my soul.

The "gamestop" code was mentioned in the other thread. There are three others I know of at this point:
bestbuy
circuitcity
walmart

All one word and all lower case for each.

reibeatall
01-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Once I discovered how to make your own races online, this game got so much better.

Jakanden
01-23-2008, 05:29 AM
I will get mine (360) today so I will be down for playing tonight.

Merus
01-23-2008, 07:02 AM
So, I was wondering how they do progression in this game, now that they've thrown out the unwieldy menus. I couldn't see from the demo -

go cry somewhere else

...nevermind.

Figure Four
01-23-2008, 09:25 AM
So this game is pretty much completely awesome. I love just driving around the city and then suddenly seeing another driver scream past. There are very few things quite as satisfying as wrecking someone and taking their car.

Jakanden
01-23-2008, 09:28 AM
So this game is pretty much completely awesome. I love just driving around the city and then suddenly seeing another driver scream past. There are very few things quite as satisfying as wrecking someone and taking their car.

So do you just jump into any online game and do whatever you want? What if someone in that game starts a race and you are not near the cross walk or even in the same city? Does everyone get pulled in?

reibeatall
01-23-2008, 10:05 AM
So do you just jump into any online game and do whatever you want? What if someone in that game starts a race and you are not near the cross walk or even in the same city? Does everyone get pulled in?

1) You can do either one if you want. I sent Figure Four an invite last night, and we all just started fucking around, crashing into the other 5 people who randomly joined. You have to set up the online match before anybody can join, though.
(Edit: Also, when you play the game, it unlocks new cars driving around the city. You'll be minding your own business when all of a sudden, you see some sports car take off. If you take him down, the car goes to your junkyard.)
2) Everybody gets pulled in. I was starting races last night with people all over the place. Once I set the start, the checkpoints (if I wanted those) and the ending, the route was saved, and I could bring it up whenever I wanted. Then everybody was teleported to the race.

reibeatall
01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Also:

No noticable lag = best ever.

Figure Four
01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
I just had the best takedown, ever. I had seen the Hunter Reliable once before but I wrecked before I could get him. So I'm just tooling around town and I see a smash gate that I hadn't noticed before. I drive through it and go through a short tunnel before it ends in a jump back to the street. I make the jump and land right on top of the Reliable which counts as a takedown. I didn't even know he was there! Man, I wish this game had saved films.

Jakanden
01-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Ok, I should be online tonight so if you see me playing, feel free to shoot me an invite.

SamuelMarston
01-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I just had the best takedown, ever. I had seen the Hunter Reliable once before but I wrecked before I could get him. So I'm just tooling around town and I see a smash gate that I hadn't noticed before. I drive through it and go through a short tunnel before it ends in a jump back to the street. I make the jump and land right on top of the Reliable which counts as a takedown. I didn't even know he was there! Man, I wish this game had saved films.

That's beautiful. I wish I could have seen that.

Jakanden
01-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Bloody hell I suck at this game. Out of the 8 events I have tried, I have failed 6.

Jakanden
01-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Up to my class C license but decided to spend the rest of the time opening all the stuff. I managed to get 112 events found along with all but 4 of the stations. I will finish off the rest tomorrow then focus on getting a class A license.

Matchstick
01-24-2008, 08:45 AM
I got my B class license the night before last. Last night I spent a couple of hours running around with a friend and doing various challenges. The best thing was finally pullling off the double barrel roll achievement. After my friend logged off I wandered around and finally found the last of the events. Now I need to go after some events so I can get more cars.

SamuelMarston
01-24-2008, 09:45 AM
I got my B class license the night before last. Last night I spent a couple of hours running around with a friend and doing various challenges. The best thing was finally pullling off the double barrel roll achievement. After my friend logged off I wandered around and finally found the last of the events. Now I need to go after some events so I can get more cars.

Could I ask where you accomplished the double barrel roll? I was trying this at the HUGE jump at the top of the quarry, but I couldn't seem to land it right. Also, could you recommend a car?

Jakanden
01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Could I ask where you accomplished the double barrel roll? I was trying this at the HUGE jump at the top of the quarry, but I couldn't seem to land it right. Also, could you recommend a car?

In the demo, I did this on the beach as there is a ramp with a long stretch to build up speed. I haven't tried it in the full game, but I don't think it wouldn't be possible in it.

Matchstick
01-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Near the Naval Yard, there's a long bridge that has a bunch of jumps that get you up onto an upper level that has railroad tracks and a couple of billboards. If you go east once you get up onto, you'll pass a heinous jump on the left (that so far I've only been able to use to slam into the side of a bridge at high speeds), then a gap, a short regular ramp, and then a split ramp on the left side just in front of two boxcars.

What I did to finally pull it off (after quite a while of trying various approaches) was to go back towards the main part of the bridge and turn around just at the place where the tracks split (past the aforementioned heinous bridge), nail the gas and boost, hug the right wall until you just pass the regular ramp and then steer right towards the split ramp. If you do it right, your car will almost do the double by itself. You need to go to the right side of the short ramp rather than the left, because you get a bad angle off the ramp if you hug the left wall and you'll end up smacking into the fence.

As far as the car I used, I'd have to go back and check but it was described as something like "a Japanese take on an American muscle car". I only have a handful of cars, so you should probably have the same one I used if you've done at least a couple of events.

Daremo
01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
My favorite part about Burnout has always been the crash mode. I am bummed out that it is more or less gone, but there is some stuff about this game that I am starting to like. I messed around for my first half hour and then jumped right online. Big mistake. I think I need to learn where stuff on the map is before I try to compete online again.

It is also nice to finally own a second game for my PS3. Anyone wants to play this weekend add Daremo123 as your friend on PSN. Warning: I totally suck at this sort of game, but still strangely enjoy it... o.O

reibeatall
01-24-2008, 09:05 PM
As somebody who is bummed by Crash Mode being taken out, what do you feel about Showtime? (press R1 and L1 at the same time) Since I don't care either way, showtime is the new crash mode for me, which is to say that it's fun, but not the point of the game.

djSyndrome
01-24-2008, 11:43 PM
In the demo, I did this on the beach as there is a ramp with a long stretch to build up speed. I haven't tried it in the full game, but I don't think it wouldn't be possible in it.

Yup. One of the online challenges I had tonight was doing a roll on the beach. Nothing like two idiots taking off the opposing ramps at the same time and barrel rolling right into each other.

Jakanden
01-25-2008, 03:49 AM
As somebody who is bummed by Crash Mode being taken out, what do you feel about Showtime? (press R1 and L1 at the same time) Since I don't care either way, showtime is the new crash mode for me, which is to say that it's fun, but not the point of the game.

Having never been a huge Burnout guy (I only played 3), I actually enjoy it. I racked up a 74 car streak with about 680k in damages last night.

I found all the events but I am missing ONE drive thru (a repair station). I spent an hour and a half looking for that one freaking location and still didn't find it.

djSyndrome
01-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Having never been a huge Burnout guy (I only played 3), I actually enjoy it. I racked up a 74 car streak with about 680k in damages last night.

I found all the events but I am missing ONE drive thru (a repair station). I spent an hour and a half looking for that one freaking location and still didn't find it.

Personal best: 170 cars / $4.8m.

sraymonds
01-25-2008, 07:35 AM

Geezus, where? My best was like 40 cars and about $650,000.

Jakanden
01-25-2008, 07:36 AM

When I actually get around to focusing on Showtime, I will beat that.

reibeatall
01-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Mine was 110 cars and $4.8 mil. I hit A LOT of busses.

Also, anybody up for a game on the 360 tonight?

Jakanden
01-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Mine was 110 cars and $4.8 mil. I hit A LOT of busses.

Also, anybody up for a game on the 360 tonight?

As usual it depends on the time, but if you see me on (I plan to play most of tonight), invite me and I will be there.

Matchstick
01-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Crash mode was one of my favorite parts of the series since picking up Burnout 2. I don't think Showtime is nearly as fun, but I understand not wanting to sully the purity of their concept here, so I'll suck it up for a while. It's not bad, I just prefer the more puzzle/set-piece nature of the previous games.

Found all events, parking lots, drive-thrus, etc. last night. Have all of the smashes in two of the regions as well.

Jakanden
01-25-2008, 10:07 AM
ound all events, parking lots, drive-thrus, etc. last night. Have all of the smashes in two of the regions as well.

Damn you!! I cannot find that last drive-thru.

Matchstick
01-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Damn you!! I cannot find that last drive-thru.

Not sure if you want help or not, but I can certainly try to give you a hand (either by describing or just hooking up online - provided you are on 360).

Jakanden
01-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Not sure if you want help or not, but I can certainly try to give you a hand (either by describing or just hooking up online - provided you are on 360).

I will be on tonight and definitely down for some multi so I wouldn't be adverse to the help. Thanks =)

sraymonds
01-25-2008, 04:28 PM
My best so far is 4 million with 107 cars.

Daremo
01-25-2008, 07:10 PM

I messed around with showtime a little bit more today. I have to admit that I really do like it. It is not crash mode, and I still miss crash mode, but showtime is fun in it's own way. Just a little bit creepy. Not that Burnout 3 crash mode was not... Something about the range of control you have over your chunk of flying scrape medal is a bit odd feeling. Fun as hell, yet odd.

djSyndrome
01-25-2008, 11:05 PM
When I actually get around to focusing on Showtime, I will beat that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/djSyndrome/YEAHWHAT.jpg

Jakanden
01-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Just wait buddy. I got all the Drive thrus and car parks last night and I am on my class D license. I need to get my Burnout License and then I will do all that kind of stuff.

Human
01-26-2008, 06:39 AM
I got into a small internet fight with someone because he was angry (like everyone else) that the game didn't let you retry a race if you lose. I said it was a little bit silly because no one ever complained in any of the GTA games when you had to do the exact same thing.

They didn't buy it :[

The game is really fantastic though. I really enjoy exploring the city and learning the roads. I've gotten lost more times than I want to admit in races, though. It's a change from magical, translucent arrow bumpers that appear if you go too far off course, and it makes it really easy to throw you off a course completely. It does add the ability to take shortcuts or alternate routes that might be better or less a little longer but less difficult.

I wish the city wasn't so sterile, though. It looks beautiful and all the things you can do and find gameplay-wise are remarkable, but where are the citizens? Who lives here? Let's drive through a parade or accidentally swerve off road and plow through the Policeman's Picnic. I understand they don't want any people dying or being hurt, but it does hurt the overall experience, I think.

Plus you got to race to Avrill Levine. WHO DOESN'T WANT THAT?

Jakanden
01-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Plus you got to race to Avrill Levine. WHO DOESN'T WANT THAT?

Me. That was one of many songs I turned off.

Considering I am not a racing game fan at all, the fact that I actually love this game is saying a lot.

Schmidt
01-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I got into a small internet fight with someone because he was angry (like everyone else) that the game didn't let you retry a race if you lose. I said it was a little bit silly because no one ever complained in any of the GTA games when you had to do the exact same thing.

They didn't buy it :[
I'm not sure what someone else's tolerance for faults in a different game has to do with hating the fact that you can't retry races here. Most of the time it doesn't matter a whole lot, but for those Burning Routes to unlock more cars (the only time I really care about retrying the exact same race instead of just trying something close to where I am), it's hell. It's a terrible design choice and there's no defense for it. It doesn't ruin the game overall, but in that instant when you wreck one too many times and know you can't finish in time, or worse, make it to the finish line about two seconds too late, you've never hated any game more.

Human
01-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Me. That was one of many songs I turned off.

Considering I am not a racing game fan at all, the fact that I actually love this game is saying a lot.

HEY HEY

YOU YOU

(I don't like your girlfriend)

sraymonds
01-26-2008, 07:45 PM

I love Avril Lavigne. If her songs came on the radio, I could sing along to most of them.

reibeatall
01-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I have her first CD, but shut up.

cortbassist89
01-27-2008, 08:26 AM
This game rocks so hard. I'm about 3 more wins until my B license.

Matchstick
01-27-2008, 08:51 AM
B license obtained. All billboards and smashes completed. 4 jumps to go. Still a blast.

cortbassist89
01-27-2008, 09:54 AM
B license get!

I just did a barrel roll off a ramp going in reverse. I love this game.

Schmidt
01-27-2008, 11:51 AM
All billboards and smashes completed.
That's really impressive, any advice on finding them? Did you have a guide or map, or just incredible patience?

SamuelMarston
01-27-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure what someone else's tolerance for faults in a different game has to do with hating the fact that you can't retry races here. Most of the time it doesn't matter a whole lot, but for those Burning Routes to unlock more cars (the only time I really care about retrying the exact same race instead of just trying something close to where I am), it's hell. It's a terrible design choice and there's no defense for it. It doesn't ruin the game overall, but in that instant when you wreck one too many times and know you can't finish in time, or worse, make it to the finish line about two seconds too late, you've never hated any game more.

This is true. Add to that the DJ heckling you over and over until you get it right. Yeah, yeah Atomica, I know I need to go fast on a short route without crashing. Thanks.

Jakanden
01-27-2008, 12:18 PM
I will get back to playing this tonight. I took a break from it this weekend to play through NMH. Now I need to finish the Smashes and Billboards along with getting my Burnout License. I still haven't done anything online though.

Matchstick
01-27-2008, 02:26 PM
That's really impressive, any advice on finding them? Did you have a guide or map, or just incredible patience?

I guess it's the latter. ;) Most of them I just found via roaming around and keeping my eyes open. The last few required quite a bit of running back and forth over old roads to find whatever I'd missed. One thing that's very helpful is the breakdown in the pause menu. If you go to the menu that has "License" and "Discovery" in it, select "Discovery" and it will tell you how many of the various things you've found. That will at least let you know which areas you need to concentrate on searching. A few of the billboards were tricky to reach and/or required a pretty powerful car to get enough distance off the jumps (usually from the parking garages).

Gredlen
01-29-2008, 01:04 AM
I really don't care much for racing games, but I am enjoying this one quite a lot. I was having second thoughts about buying it because I thought maybe everything I did in the demo was representative of all there was to the game, but it's been a pleasant surprise to find that isn't the case. In the 2-3 hours I was playing, I've had a lot more fun than I thought I would. What I'm really looking forward to, though, is some Talking Time Freeburn. Just crashing into Rei and Chocogaz was fun. I can only imagine how great it'd be with five more people.

Also I've got more Gamerscore in Burnout Paradise than Rei does. Just saying.

chocogaz
01-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah running around online with Rei and Gredlen was a blast. Would do again, especially if we could get some more TTers into the fray.

Jakanden
01-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I will be on tonight so shoot me an invite if you want some company.

Gredlen
01-30-2008, 11:43 AM
So I got my A license and I believe there will be much swearing before obtaining the Burnout License. About halfway to the A license, this game suddenly became noticeably more difficult. All the AI drivers are a lot more aggressive, they seem to find faster paths, and the rubberband AI has been toned down, so if you screw up, they won't be as forgiving. Plus I'm not really any better at driving than I was in the beginning. At least I have some pretty nice cars now.

I've got 37 wins until I get the Burnout License and I think that will be a little while. Fortunately, that's what online stuff is for. I'm down for some online challenges anytime.

Jakanden
01-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Urgh, tonight was one of those nights that makes me regret signing on. I failed 7 events in a row including two races where I crashed near enough to the finish line to lose.

I signed off before the controller breaking began and decided to play some Killer7.

Gredlen
01-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Urgh, tonight was one of those nights that makes me regret signing on. I failed 7 events in a row including two races where I crashed near enough to the finish line to lose.

I signed off before the controller breaking began and decided to play some Killer7.

I know how that is. I just had two races in a row where I crashed into an oncoming car RIGHT in front of the finish line. If you're close/fast enough, you can still win when your remains tumble over the line, but I was at just the right distance that other people got ahead of me. Ugh.

Anyway, by "a while", I must have meant about five or six hours, because that's how long I think it took for me to get my Burnout Driver's License. Protip: Find the Inferno Van and use it for all the Road Rage and Marked Man events. That thing is a monster.

The races weren't as bad as I thought they'd be once I got the Jansen XS12, a speed-oriented car that I can actually use fairly well. Plus I did a few Burning Routes, so I didn't have to do too many races to get my license.

SamuelMarston
02-06-2008, 07:47 AM
I miss this game. No More Heroes and other great games have distracted me too much.

I would love to get online with you guys, but I rarely have the time. :( If I ever found myself with more free time I would definitely renew that gold membership and be crashing right along all of you.

Sigh.