PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry Heaven: Azumanga Daioh

JCDenton
06-25-2007, 09:50 PM
I'd put this in the print section, but I haven't read the manga. Better than the anime? Enough to warrant hunting down?

At any rate, I love Azumanga Daioh. Because it is almost entirely disconnected from any serious issues I would consider it a guilty pleasure, except that it is basically happiness incarnate. I ask you, how can you be sad when watching Chiyo or Tomo? Seems impossible. However, I can't seem to convince any of my friends that I'm not a huge pervert for watching an anime about six high school girls. Idiots.

So, share your Azu love (or hate) here. Favorite character? Best adventure? Catchiest tune? Cake for you!

Parish
06-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I find the anime unbearably dull, but I love the manga very very much. It's a clever four-panel comic that really suffers from being drawn out and repaced for animation. In other words, yes, read the manga.

Zef
06-25-2007, 10:23 PM
It'd be difficult for me to prefer the manga over the anime (or viceversa,) as I tend to consider them wholly different animals, each as worthy of appreciation as the other. There are themes and allegories (and, yes, also jokes) that work better in the four-panel format, because they allow for your own interpretation of the scene and characters. On the other hand, there are also many sequences in the anime that are nothing short of sublime --there's a surreal "cloudscape" scene around 1/3rd into the series, for instance, and the "Flower Watching" episode is gorgeous in its subtlety (and also because it goes further into the characters' private lives than Kiyohiko Azuma ever did, to great effect.)

As for favorite character? It's hard to be honest with that, and not go with the obvious (Osaka?) Oddly, I think it'd be Nyamo, what with her having to play straight-man to Yukari and also her awesome freak-outs. Her more grounded, anxious personality also makes her easy to identify with.

Come to think of it, I haven't watched it since the last book came out in English. Time to break out the books and the discs again, and hope that ADV hurries the hell up with the fourth volume of Yotsuba&! due out next month.

nadia
06-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I prefer the manga even though ADV couldn't decide if Osaka has a New York or Southern accent.

The manga also has the arc with Osaka and Chiyo working at McDonalds, which is my favourite thing ever.

Tomm Guycot
06-25-2007, 10:39 PM
It's pronounced "he-bun"

mr_bungle700
06-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I enjoy both the manga and the anime series, for different reasons. I actually think Azuma has outdone himself with Yotsuba&!, though, and I hope with all my heart that it gets adapted into anime form at some point. It would be great if it involved the Azumanga creative team too, including Masaki Kurihara. I can't imagine anyone else handling the music for an Azuma adaptation now. He's already put out a Yotsuba "image album" anyway, perhaps in preparation for an eventual anime release.

Speaking of Azumanga, and of Kurihara, this album (http://www.cdjapan.jp/detailview.html?KEY=LACA-5237) and this one (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=LACA-5123) are both totally awesome.

Chu
06-25-2007, 11:55 PM
I actually like the anime a lot more, but that could be because I watched it long before I read the manga (and I haven't even read most of them). I think it also might be because of the voice acting in the animation: whenever a character like Yukari or Chiyo freaks out and belts a totally ridiculous scream, it's comedy gold for me.

Maggie
06-26-2007, 02:59 AM
I like them both. The anime has some really priceless scenes, but chances are, you'd have already seen them in .gif form by now (Sakaki's snowball return, Osaka's shoe and the truck).

I only just picked up volume four of the manga two days ago, so that one's more fresh in my mind, but I'd still definitely suggest reading it. There are some similar gags, but a lot of new stuff and the art and translation is great.

My favorite character, though, is Kagura. I don't know if there's anyone else who feels the same. Either her or Sakaki. But I like Kagura because she seems like she'd be tough and possibly a bully, then slowly reveals herself to be really vulnerable and kind ("Why do I always have to be like that?").

But yeah, fun times convincing people you're not a weirdo pervert. I tried showing the series to my parents (God only knows what made me think THAT would be a good idea) and, yeah, it didn't click. I think my dad muttered something like "Hmm, the Japanese," and went off to do something else.

mr_bungle700
06-26-2007, 04:45 AM
My favorite character, though, is Kagura. I don't know if there's anyone else who feels the same. Either her or Sakaki. But I like Kagura because she seems like she'd be tough and possibly a bully, then slowly reveals herself to be really vulnerable and kind ("Why do I always have to be like that?").

YES.

Guy
06-26-2007, 05:02 AM
I love Sakaki just because she's such a brilliant parody of "cool" anime characters. And her reaction to pretty much everything in the show is hilarious. She doesn't quite beat Osaka and Chiyo, though.

Then there's Mr. Kimura:

"I would like a glass of pool water."

Balrog
06-26-2007, 08:58 AM
The anime and manga are both good imo. I think the music in the anime is really great. It depends on what kind of mood I'm in but for the most part I'm an Osaka man. Tomo did earn a special place in my heart after comparing herself to Fujiko, crazy Tomo (sigh).

Chu
06-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Then there's Mr. Kimura:

"Mr. Kimura, why did you become a teacher?"
"BECAUSE I LIKE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS!"

Kimura is such a strange and funny character. He's a very outspoken pervert, but at the same time he's got an angelic wife, recycles trash, and donates a lot to charity. Is there a lesson to be learned here?

thomp538
06-26-2007, 01:08 PM
"Mr. Kimura, why did you become a teacher?"
"BECAUSE I LIKE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS!"

Kimura is such a strange and funny character. He's a very outspoken pervert, but at the same time he's got an angelic wife, recycles trash, and donates a lot to charity. Is there a lesson to be learned here?
Shades of gray man, shades of gray.

SkywardShadow
06-26-2007, 03:44 PM
I feel the need to post here.

I love both, but the manga is superior, in my opinion.

Sakaki is actually my favorite character.

Figure Four
06-26-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm also of the opinion that both the anime and the manga are very good. If I had to pick just one I'd go with the manga but there are some anime specific gags that are just brilliant. The bit where Tomo accidentally hits Yukari in the face with a lunch tray is probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen. That slow-mo reveal of Yukari's blazing red demon eyes gets me every time.

Mazian
06-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Shamefully, I have not read the manga. Perhaps it is time I corrected this unfortunate oversight! I see four volumes, is that the complete set?

I do love the anime. The brief scene with Kaorin, Chihiro, and Sasaki in the second sports-festival episode cracks me up every time.

Sheana
06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Haven't taken a look in a year or two (shame on me), but I like both the anime and the manga. The anime I have is the fansub that came out before the main release, so I'm used to the Japanese voicecast and well-done subbing, heh.

The anime can be a bit slow in bits, but I do like it a lot. One of the few animes I've ever watched or like. Same goes for the manga (well, maybe not the slow part).

Some of the animation was pretty entertaning.

Caithness
06-29-2007, 07:33 PM
What on earth is wrong with going with the obvious and saying that Ōsaka is your favorite character?

That said, I like Tomo. She's loud and crazy and has poor impulse control. Funnily enough, my sister's boyfriend is like that, and I really can't stand him at all. Traits that are irritating to me in real people are endearing in fictional characters, for some reason.

Kishi
06-29-2007, 07:43 PM
My favorite character is Kaorin. I'll never forgive Azuma for essentially writing her out of the story in favor of Kagura, a much less endearing or interesting individual.

Maggie
06-29-2007, 08:12 PM
I would've liked to have seen more of Kaorin, too. I like Kagura a lot, so I guess if it had been a trade-off between the characters, I wouldn't have changed anything, but I really liked the bit with Kaorin basically hero-worshipping Sakaki. That's easy to identify with and it kept seeming like maybe it'd go somewhere, but she never says anything and never becomes one of the core friends, which she really could have if she'd just spoken up. Then again, she'd probably think she wasn't good enough to be friends with Sakaki and it wouldn't work anyway. So maybe it's better that it never got to that point.

mr_bungle700
06-29-2007, 09:13 PM
While I do appreciate any love given to the oft-overlooked Kagura, if it comes down to a Kagura vs. Kaorin Konflikt I have to place myself firmly on Kaorin's side of the ring. There is so much potential in her character, and while she is utilized to great comedic effect I feel that she goes criminally underused otherwise. There's an actual story to be told with her and it doesn't get the chance to come to full fruition. I also personally enjoy every moment of time she gets in the story, which is more than I can say for some of the other characters.

I guess I really just want a Kaorin-centric spinoff. Kaomanga Daioh.