PDA

View Full Version : Professor Layton and the Story Discussion Thread

Parish
02-10-2008, 07:17 PM
To discuss the plot. And interior decorating.

Alex
02-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Hold on! Before I can let you post here you need to solve a puzzle about rearranging sticks!

Merus
02-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Damn you people, my copy arrives god-knows-when.

sfried
02-11-2008, 12:56 AM
I dunno. I feel the puzzles give the game substance for what the story's worth.

reibeatall
02-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I kinda like the story. It almost reminds me of an episode of Case Closed.

dussssstin
02-11-2008, 06:10 PM
I mean the story is a nice way to carry the puzzles, it's better than just going from 1-however many there are.

oh shnap case closed?! I loved that anime. Kid was my hero.

Shadax
02-11-2008, 07:15 PM
!
All of this discussion on the merits of the story reminds me of a great puzzle, Luke. Why don't you give it a shot?

Seriously though, there are worse ways to shoehorn in a series of matchstick puzzles into a game.

Alex
02-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Given the frequency with which Layton asks Luke to read him things, I suspect the good Professor is rather illiterate.

Parish
02-12-2008, 08:09 AM
My guess is that he's actually blind, like Woozy from GTA: San Andreas.

reibeatall
02-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Ok, so after having beat the game, I have to say that I couldn't have asked for any more in the story. I feel like closure was had on all accounts, and I can't wait for the next one.

Actually, one point:

Who was that explorer guy you found in the sewers and then the tower? Was he an outsider too?

sfried
02-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Given the frequency with which Layton asks Luke to read him things, I suspect the good Professor is rather illiterate.

I was thinking that, too, given how frequently he picks hint coins out of barrels, garbage cans, and sewers.

quasi-spoiler

I think he's going to be a running gag in the series. It's almost as if he's set up as such.

I just finished it and I'm loving the bonus features right now.

cortbassist89
02-16-2008, 06:08 PM
quasi-spoiler

I couldn't tell either, and the profile section on him is pretty ambiguous, so I agree with sfried, seems like they're setting him up as a running gag.

Also, who else doesn't like having to wait however-many-months until the sequel to see what's in the hidden section?

I agree with Rei, the story was very (surprisingly) well-done. I was expecting some lame excuse for a puzzle adventure, and was surprised to find a pretty good story. I can't wait for the sequel.

openedsource
02-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Clearly the one mystery Layton has yet to solve is how to be a decent caretaker to children.

"That jug looks interesting. Let's take it!"

"Are you crazy boy? It's filthy gross! And we have just spent the last ten minutes discussing epidemic-levels of viral outbreak. I 'aint carrying no funky jug all around town...

...but, while were here, why don't you root around in there and see if you can find anything. I'll take whatever godforsaken germ-leaden piece of filth you might dredge up and stick it in my magic suitcase so that it might fester further. Take care not to get any of that gunk in your fresh wounds - we haven't yet run across the town's infirmary. And who knows if I'll be able to solve whatever puzzle the nurse might have before she'll shoot you up with some antibiotics."

Brickroad
02-17-2008, 11:49 AM
The story was pretty hokey, but then, you don't buy a game that is in a box that looks like Layton's without expecting the story to be pretty hokey.

Also, a story can be both hokey and good, and both hokey and sweet, and Layton was all of these things.

Spoileyz:Is Flora a card-carrying member of the Layton Attack Squad now? Because it would be awesome if Layton just went around the world collecting children. It would make him more like Batman, the World's Greatest Detective!

Alex
02-18-2008, 05:00 AM
I agree with you Brickroad, the story was silly and a little preposterous in parts, but overall was actualy kind of touching by the end. A+!

to address your spoileriffic question, check out this preview for the second game in the series, which contains mild spoilers for the first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_7DGKLyVO0

Merus
02-18-2008, 06:04 AM
Man, I love the music in that trailer.

So, Play-Asia's shipped my copy, so I'll be able to dig in right about when the Fun Club shuts! Excellent.

reibeatall
02-18-2008, 07:11 AM
I agree with you Brickroad, the story was silly and a little preposterous in parts, but overall was actualy kind of touching by the end. A+!

to address your spoileriffic question, check out this preview for the second game in the series, which contains mild spoilers for the first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_7DGKLyVO0

I cannot freaking wait. IT NEEDS TO BE HERE NEXT MONTH.

Nicholai
02-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I, uh, broke down and bought a new Cobalt DS and this game because I'm a huge fan of both puzzles and adventure-style games. It hasn't disappointed yet. I'm about 50 puzzles in.

I'm either going to move onto FFIII or FFXII Revenant Wings once I've finished this up.

sfried
02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I cannot freaking wait. IT NEEDS TO BE HERE NEXT MONTH.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/sfried/ProfLaytonMystVillage/LAYTON.png

Mazian
02-19-2008, 06:06 PM
I'd be getting this today, except the delivery guy apparently decided that my address didn't exist.

A CORRECT STREET NUMBER IS NEEDED FOR DELIVERY. UPS IS ATTEMPTING TO OBTAIN THIS INFORMATION

And yet, that didn't stop a different (but far less charmingly animated) package from showing up for me today without any hassles. UPSSSSSSS!!!!!!!