PDA

View Full Version : Professor Layton and the Puzzle Discussion Thread

Parish
02-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Please to make liberal use of spoiler tags because everything is a spoiler you see.

Octopus Prime
02-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Well... I guess now I'll have to buy this game.

sfried
02-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Tip to those who've reached "One Poor Pooch": Make sure you align the tips (if you need to...) closely to the matchsticks in order for the game to register your moves as correct. I was fustrated at first on why I'd gotten it wrong at one time, untill I tried that solution again (since it was the only logical choice) and found it to be correct all along.

Parish
02-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the text entry interface is really awful? Boo.

sraymonds
02-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I have been verboten from playing this game unless Heather's around. She really likes brain teasers.

"One Poor Pooch" was a hilarious, but terrible, puzzle that she figured out in under half a minute. And I got stumped for hours on "The Digital Clock", until she had the brilliant idea of writing everything out.

Back to Devil May Cry 4 for me. :(

reibeatall
02-10-2008, 10:51 PM
The puzzles in this game make me feel stupid. They REALLY require you to think about what's being asked, and to think about every little part.

Alex
02-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm in love with this game so far, guys.

sfried
02-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Gah! I missed Puzzle #12 somewhere. Probably because I talked to the Madame first by accident, and then proceeded to the next chapter.

Already at #18.

Parish
02-11-2008, 07:39 AM
You'll find the puzzles out of numerical order more and more often as you progress. Don't worry too much about it... the numbers are mainly a way to track what you've missed or as a reference point for discussing the solution with friends. And anything over 100, I believe, is a hidden, optional puzzle.

reibeatall
02-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Ok, so I'm having a problem with puzzle #37 (Brother and Sister). I don't want the answer, but I need some help determining what some of the wording means. Spoiler font for those special words and my problem.

Here's the entire text of the riddle:

A boy and his big sister are sitting around the kitchen table chatting.
"You know, Sis, if I took away two years from my age and gave them to you, you'd be twice my age, huh!"
"Well, why don't you just give me one more on top of that? Then I'll be three times your age."
So just how old is each sibling?

Ok, here's my problem. I'll use B for brother and S for sister. In the first part (the twice your age), do I take the years away from B AND add it to S, or do I just add the two to S? Basically, is it "B - 2 S + 2" or is it "S + 2"? And Then, for the "three times my age" is that the Brother's age WITOUT taking the three years away from it? Or is it going to be "B-3 S + 3"?

There's something wrong with me when my longest posts are ones about riddles I can't solve...

cortbassist89
02-11-2008, 08:35 AM
"Take two away from my age and give them to you definitely implies that you subtract 2 from B, and add 2 to S.

However, it just says "give me one more" on top of the that, for the second bit, so I don't know if you'd do B-3 or B-2, although it certainly seems like it'd be B-3.

wait, when it says twice his age, is that before or after you take off the years?

reibeatall
02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
"wait, when it says twice his age, is that before or after you take off the years?"

I assumed that it meant after you take off the years, hence the "If I took away two years from me and gave them to you" But then again, I don't know because this game has started making me second guess every choice I make.

cortbassist89
02-11-2008, 08:50 AM
A quick looksy at gamefaqs shows it probably means after you take of the years. So that S + 2 = 2(B-2).

Parish
02-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Language is very important in parsing this game's puzzles. "On top of that" means you trade the extra year in addition to the ones you've already swapped.

In fact, I think my biggest disappointment with the game is the fact that once you parse the writers' favored language tricks many of the puzzles become entirely too easy.

MCBanjoMike
02-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Age riddle

I think I can solve this one for you (spoiler!): EDIT: REI DO NOT READ, CONTAINS ANSWER TO RIDDLE!
Judging from the text of the riddle, the sister would be 2 or 3 times older at the adjusted ages. That makes them both 6 years old! Remove 2 from the brother and give them to the sister and you get 4 and 8 (2x) and remove 3 from him and give them to her to get 3 and 9 (3x).

poetfox
02-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I've only been playing for a few minutes, but that clock puzzle, I think it was number 5, has already made me feel incredibly stupid. Oh well, I'm having fun, in any case.

reibeatall
02-11-2008, 10:31 AM
OHH MAN FINALLY I GOT THE AGE ONE.

Thanks to everybody who helped.

Loki
02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I put in the wrong answer on the clock puzzle and it's worth dropped by 5 pictorians, or whatever they're called. SHOULD I RESET THE GAME SO I CAN GET THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT?

poetfox
02-11-2008, 11:11 AM
I put in the wrong answer on the clock puzzle and it's worth dropped by 5 pictorians, or whatever they're called. SHOULD I RESET THE GAME SO I CAN GET THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT?
There comes a point where it can't lose any more. Because I've hit it several times on some puzzles. So I would hope I can get that minimum and still beat the game? I don't even know what the score is for.

So I've hit the first puzzle I have absolutely no clue on, and it's number 111. I was never good at these toothpick puzzles (Well, okay, back when I'd do them outside of a touchscreen, I'd use toothpicks, because we had those instead of matches.) but after solving the Poor Pooch one immediately, I was feeling confident. Oh well.

Edit: Now I'm annoyed because I was right on the answer to the riddle but not on how to move the sticks. Bleh.

Edit Edit: Gah! I am so stupid! *sighs* I have a feeling this moment is going to happen many, many times as I play through this game.

Jakanden
02-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Reading this thread makes me think I am right in choosing not to play this. I just don't have the patience for stuff like this although it does sound interesting. I dunno, maybe I will rent it before heading on vacation. Worst case is that I quit it quickly and I play something else.

Do alot of the puzzles use the touch functionality? What kind of stuff does it use it for?

Sprite
02-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm stuck between this game and Apollo Justice, since I can only afford one to buy one of them. Anyone want to offer an opinion? Does this game offer really challenging brain-teasers or are they mostly easy?

reibeatall
02-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Reading this thread makes me think I am right in choosing not to play this. I just don't have the patience for stuff like this although it does sound interesting. I dunno, maybe I will rent it before heading on vacation. Worst case is that I quit it quickly and I play something else.

Do alot of the puzzles use the touch functionality? What kind of stuff does it use it for?

In regards to the puzzles, it's got three main uses, all of which vary depending on the puzzle in question.
1) It allows you to move stuff. There's a riddle with weights and a scale, and you use the stylus to move them.
2) You use it to make notes with. Sometimes, it will be a math question, or sometimes it will be a "what path would they take to (take the fewest turns, not intersect each other, ect.) and I usually write all over the screen with notes, then just clear it away.
3) For the answers to most puzzles, you enter them like you'd write something in Brain Age.

As for the game, it's used to talk to people, switch screen, open up menu, and investigate places.

I'm stuck between this game and Apollo Justice, since I can only afford one to buy one of them. Anyone want to offer an opinion? Does this game offer really challenging brain-teasers or are they mostly easy?

Yes.

Meaning, there are some really easy ones, but there are some that you just won't get, and they'll be really hard.

Alex
02-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I unlocked some bonus puzzles, and they're INCREDIBLY HARD HOLY CRAP

Parish
02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I unlocked some bonus puzzles, and they're INCREDIBLY HARD HOLY CRAP
Yeah, wow... I just finished the game, and as tough as the last few puzzles were I don't think I'm ready for the unlockables just yet.

alexb
02-11-2008, 04:28 PM
How short is this game?

Parish
02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I finished in about 12 and a half hours. (The game arrived Friday, as a reviewable.) I need to track down about half a dozen puzzles I missed and tackle the extras... I'd estimate it's probably about 15 total. Not including the weekly downloads, which based on this week's will make the play time stretch to infinity.

reibeatall
02-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm about 7 hours in, and I've been passing over a few of the puzzles. I don't like getting the answers wrong, and I'm too freaking stubborn to use the Hint Coins. I have been going back to the riddle store and solving some of them.

I downloaded the WFC puzzle, and Parish is right. It's pretty impossible.

dussssstin
02-11-2008, 05:10 PM
I've put in about two hours right now and I had to take a break at the germ puzzle to do homework.

Long story short I love this game.

Oh and I was stuck on the candle puzzle for the longest time.

Has anyone played Perplex City? I miss those a lot and these brain teasers make me feel useful again.

cortbassist89
02-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Okay after playing the game's demo on its website, I broke down and bought it.

Prof Layton Get!

And there was apparently some unmarked sale at Walmart, as my receipt can attest to. I was fine with paying the $35 marked on the display, but I found a pleasant surprise at the cashier.

Was 34.88 You Saved 4.96

reibeatall
02-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I've put in about two hours right now and I had to take a break at the germ puzzle to do homework.

First Devil May Cry 4 and now this? I'm kicking your ass at everything we play.

cortbassist89
02-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Woah, puzzle 9, Poor Old Pooch, that would've made me cry as a child.

I refuse to believe this is for kids.

poetfox
02-11-2008, 07:28 PM
So I tried to download the weekly puzzle, just to try it, but it kept messing up or something? Has anyone else tried it? I mean, I still have plenty to solve, but if it's not their servers I'd like to get to the bottom of why it's not working on my end.

Alex
02-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I didn't have any problem downloading it this morning

Daydreamer
02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Woah, puzzle 9, Poor Old Pooch, that would've made me cry as a child.

I refuse to believe this is for kids.

Around the puzzle 20 point, and so far they've all been entertaining. I was a bit miffed on the poochy puzzle (I failed twice because my legs were pointed back instead of spread out (e.g. 2 forward two back), which is utterly retarded) But otherwise the puzzles have all been just about right. The weight puzzle in particular was a fun one in terms of quasi-lateral thinking.

Merus
02-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Has anyone played Perplex City? I miss those a lot and these brain teasers make me feel useful again.

I used to, but quit at the start of Season 2 when it became clear it was a UK-centric game.

It was a great idea, though, heck even my Mum still remembers the Perplex City cards.

Dadgum Roi
02-12-2008, 09:39 AM
I picked this up on Sunday and have had the flu since Monday morning, so haven't had much time or inclination to play it. I just finished the seventh puzzle, which I had to burn two coins on. Hopefully this is just the virus-induced mental haze.

sfried
02-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Puzzle #45 What's another word for "Protractor"? Edit: (Crap, I was thinking about the wrong object.)

On the side note, the nighttime music is excellent.

cortbassist89
02-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I didn't have any problem downloading it this morning
I am having trouble with dl'ing it, much like Poetfox.

Also, I've gotta say, at 4hr15min, with 53 puzzles solved, I'm loving every bit of it.

Except that slider puzzle. I hate slider puzzles.

dussssstin
02-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I HATE THE COINS AND ROPE PUZZLE.

DOES SOMEONE WANT TO TELL ME TEH ANSWER? HATE

cortbassist89
02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
The answer's 9.

Not necessarily a hard puzzle, but VERY tedious, and confusing, and if you mess up, you've pretty much just gotta start over.

sfried
02-12-2008, 06:57 PM
The answer's 9.

Not necessarily a hard puzzle, but VERY tedious, and confusing, and if you mess up, you've pretty much just gotta start over.
Rather than saying the answer, I thought telling him the approach to the solution would be better.

Suppose one side were water, and it spilled on the "up" side.

tungwene
02-13-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm 3 hrs in and solved 54 puzzles. A lot of these puzzles are worded funny, or maybe my reading comprehension sucks, but usually when I use a hint I find that I misread the question. The second candle puzzle stumped me for awhile because I was having trouble deciding if lighting a match was one of the valid actions because it wasn't actually listed in the list of things you were trying to do. I'm usually pretty good at reading the fine print and can do simple algebra in my head so I haven't encountered any puzzles that are too hard, though the digital clock one took me longer than I expected because I forgot of the times and couldn't figure out which one, and the rope and the apple sliding one were just time consuming. The draw a constellation one stumped me for awhile until I just tried drawing a line to the pine tree and found to my surprise I could do it

On rope and coins: one of the hints suggest you color in the side of the rope that is the wrong side, so follow the length of the rope and scribble out the segment the way the photoshop fill tool would if that's any help.

Any idea how many picarats I need before I get something?

Dadgum Roi
02-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm doing well for the most part now that I'm feeling a bit better, although I've had to call in the spousal artillery for an embarassingly high number of the puzzles.

SamuelMarston
02-13-2008, 08:00 PM
I finished the first two puzzles while my valentine got dressed. I like the game so far, and I wanted to get some kind of comment in before the fun club is over. I'm sure I'll beat this a week later than everyone else.

sfried
02-13-2008, 08:18 PM
I here the entire game is 64MB, and that's mostly because of all the cutscenes.

I've encountered quite alot so far.

tungwene
02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Guys, I reached my limit. I unlocked the first set of challenges and beat the first and third on my first try. The second one, Next Die, I haven't attempted yet because it was one of those crazy ones that only seem solvable with telepathy. However, I'm now completely stumped with the third pitcher problem (16 quarts divided in half) and the Longest Path, by far the most evil puzzle in the whole game because I say so, because I can't remember what the last path I drew was between tries. I think I just need to sleep on them.

Daydreamer
02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Anyone have any tips for the sliding-tile/apple-and-worm puzzle (107, I think)?

tungwene
02-14-2008, 08:32 AM
A lot of patience.

Some of the tiles can work in more than one place. Also the third hint says: The tile in upper left corner must be moved in order to solve the puzzle. Don't be fooled by the fact that it LOOKS like it's already in the right place.

Any help on Longest Path? I've solved all the others that've stumped me last night except for that one. 7 hours in and 94 puzzles solved.

Reluctant Hero
02-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Has anyone been having trouble downloading the weekly puzzle? My download gets half-way then it quits on me. Sometimes it freezes the DS too...

Brickroad
02-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Every time Layton points at me, I get goosebumps.

Mr. Sensible
02-15-2008, 04:14 AM
Alright, I was finally able to download the weekly puzzle and it was a bit of a toughie, but I solved it after flailing helplessly for about 20 minutes.

Since the DLC puzzles don't have hints, this tip on how not to solve Weekly Puzzle #1 might save you some trial-and-error pains: you can't stack the matches on top of each other. I was confused because the puzzle description doesn't specifically say that you can't do this, so I tried every possible variation of this "solution" just to make sure it didn't work.

sfried
02-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Has anyone been having trouble downloading the weekly puzzle? My download gets half-way then it quits on me. Sometimes it freezes the DS too...

Same trouble here (minus freezing part). Perhaps we should start asking those people who do get to download the weekly puzzle what kind of connection they have.

Brickroad
02-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I think my main complaint about the puzzles so far have been that some ask for real solutions and some ask for tongue-in-cheek joke-y solutions, and sometimes it's hard to tell which is which.

For example, the rabbit puzzle. I knew right off the bat that the answer could be one, because you know, a rabbit can't multiply by itself, can it? But the way the puzzle was worded made it sound like each individual rabbit was capable of having twelve babies, so I wasn't sure; there was after all no mention of rabbit gender, so maybe these were pretend asexual rabbits who procreate via budding? I actually worked through the first few steps before I realized that the number would be so hilariously outrageously large that either my initial "joke" answer was correct, or I was on the wrong track entirely.

Another example: the alphabet puzzle: "the first letter of the alphabet is A". Well, do they mean the "alphabet", as in ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ? Obviously not because they say Z isn't the last letter. Do they mean "the alphabet" as in the actual two-word phrase? Obviously not, because "the alphabet" starts with T. Again, my initial "joke" answer was correct, but to me it didn't seem correct given the wording of the puzzle.

Still loving the game though. I don't agree with the people who are calling the puzzles "Myst-like" but that's a discussion for another thread.

reibeatall
02-15-2008, 10:34 PM
HELL YES!

I worked my way through the Weekly DLC, and man I'm so happy. If anybody wants any hints, I've got the perfect one.

sfried
02-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Got it as well. I love these matchstick puzzles.

Brickroad
02-16-2008, 02:37 PM
The DLC puzzle is one I've solved before, years ago. I hope next week's is one I haven't seen.

=(

cortbassist89
02-16-2008, 04:24 PM
So at 15 hrs, I've beaten the game and 129 puzzles. That's all I can do too, because I can't figure out how to get The Decorator's Room and the Puzzlemaster's room in Layton's Challenges.

Any help? I've beaten every puzzle in St Mystere, and all the ones available to me in Layton's Challenges, any ideas about how to unlock the rest?

EDIT: Gamefaqs.com proves its worth! (http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/code/936050.html)

stedaman
02-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Any hints for week 1 downloadable puzzle guys?

I'm really clueless for this one.

Brickroad
02-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Any hints for week 1 downloadable puzzle guys?

I'm really clueless for this one.

SPOILYHINT #1 (just a hint): There are sixteen matchsticks, so if you're going to make four boxes you'll have to make sure that none of those boxes share a side.

SPOILYHINT #2 (damn good hint): They can, however, share corners.

SPOILYHINT #3 (give it away, now): Think "zigzag".

Brickroad
02-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Okay, after banging my head aginst #134 all morning, I have finally solved every puzzle in the game!

I went to GameFAQs twice to find the locations of two hidden puzzles. Sorry, but running around aimlessly and arbitrarily pointing at things is neither challenging nor fun. I just wanted at the puzzles.

I loved the game overall but I can't help but feeling that most of the puzzles were just filler. There were a few very cool ones that required a bit of elbow grease, or lateral thinking, or both, but just as many "clever" (wink wink nudge nudge) word problems and ARGH slider puzzles. Seriously, slider puzzles aren't even puzzles.

I burned through probably twenty or thirty hints, usually to clarify something I felt was left ambiguous in the rules. It's problematic when you can "solve" a puzzle incorrectly by coming up with a clever solution that fits the wording of the puzzle, but it's not the clever solution that the game wants.

There were also a lot of puzzles where the answer is obvious very easily, not because you've deduced it but because you've learned what kinds of puzzles Layton likes. There were tons of puzzles where I guessed the right answer after reading the puzzle, then worked backwards through it (maybe checking a hint to make sure I wasn't on the wrong track). Hopefully Layton 2 has more engaging "real" puzzles and fewer "trick questions" so as not to condition the player in this way.

Let's see... there was one puzzle (hmm... maybe two) I solved by "cheating" (that is, using tools from outside the puzzle ruleset, in this case the "reset" button on the puzzle). I would have gotten it eventually the correct way, but hey, Layton didn't bother to take the extremely easy step to prevent me from doing it, so it's on him.

There were only a couple puzzles I felt were blatantly unfair. It's the nature of puzzles to be misleading of course, but you have to take the rules on faith: when the puzzle text states "don't do z" and then the first hint says "you have to do z", there's a communication breakdown there somewhere.

The set-piece puzzles worked fine, but I would like to see something more involving in the sequel. For example, puzzles you can't solve without using information from the outside world, or puzzles made up of other, "regular" puzzles (a fact which may not be immediately apparent), or puzzles where Layton's position in the world and his interactions with the characters and objects in it actually matter. Maybe give the player more actual involvement in solving the game's "mysteries".

Huh. I guess what I really want is for Layton to be more like Myst. Someone give that man a linking book!

tl;dr: Most puzzles good, a few puzzles bad, A++ would play again, Brickroad want sequel.

widdershins
02-18-2008, 09:44 AM
My wife just started playing this (I'll be following suit shortly) and in the early puzzles at least it's pretty edifying.

Usually she's much sharper than me -- she can do anagrams in her bloody sleep -- but she has trouble with algebra and geometry and can't "think in 3 dimensions".

We were hanging out in bed last night, she was playing Layton, and I was starting a new game in Contact, and after a bit she screamed "ARRG! I hate fucking matchsticks!"

I asked her to let me have a look (it was the turn 4 cubes into 3 puzzle) and in about 5 seconds, I handed the DS back to her and she just stared at me.

"what?"

"you solved it didn't you?"

"... yes"

"I hate you."

"love you too honey."

Our relationship is built on honesty. :-)

Ben1842
02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Nicole just has one left she can't seem to get #78 Water pitchers. any help would be awesome. :)

widdershins
02-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Jesus, I was afraid of spoiling it for myself, but from the title I figured it was pretty much the Die Hard puzzle... which it is... ON CRACk.

Anyway, here you go. (http://www.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/laytonkyoujunofushiginamachi/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-41392595&pid=936050) It's a doozy.

SamuelMarston
02-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I love this game. I just wanted to say something about it before our time together was up.

Kirin
02-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Oh man, I totally hadn't noticed that this was a fun club selection. I'm currently at a little over 100 puzzles solved - and the only one I've skipped is the god-forsaken worm/apple slider puzzle.

The last water pitchers one (16 into two 8's) was a doozy, but I eventually got it out of sheer persistence. I find the key to progressing in those is to always be looking for a way to make a quantity, *any* quantity, that you've not seen so far, even if you can't yet tell how it will help you get to the final answer.

A couple of the "free the ball from the blocks" ones have also been quite tricky, but I kind of like those.

Also, I've been having many suspicions about the true nature of the town for the last few hours, but I'm studiously avoiding spoilers as I haven't quite hit end-game yet (just entered the park).

locit
02-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Alright, a bit lttp, but I just got it today and played for about six hours total. I've completed about 54 using only 8 or so coins, and three of those were on the ottf? puzzle. Three on the compass puzzle too. I love this game so much.