PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom of the Ages

alexb
06-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Truly food for thought.
http://personal.ecu.edu/bakera/burn.jpg

mr_bungle700
06-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Indeed, these are words we should all take to heart.

Vahn16
06-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Is that screen from that RPG that helps you learn Japanese?

alexb
06-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Yeah, it's helped me nail down my kana. It's called Slime Forest (http://lrnj.com/). Free, with Mac and PC flavors. It also has some kanji. The meanings, but not the readings. If nothing else, it trains your eye to understand the sometimes small differences between characters. The free version I'm using is kana and very basic kanji with choices that seem more suited to video games than real life, oddly. So I know what the kanji for "calamity" looks like, but not the one for food or street or city. Apparently there's a more fleshed out version you can pay into that has emphasis on sentence structure and actual reading in addition to that, as well as more content for the RPG. It's a kind of parody of Dragon Quest. By which I mean the first one. Very basic, but it works. It's even got a few in-jokes about the genre. For instance, when you encounter a chest set apart in a room in the middle of a cave, you get the following message upon opening the chest: "Fortune smiles upon thee and laughs at something not particularly amusing." You get a healing herb. The grinding of RPGs is well suited to language drills, as you might expect.

Makkara
06-03-2007, 11:50 PM
The main problem with the game is how absolutely gruesome it looks. It made me feel slightly nauseous. I'm perfectly willing to work for my language skills, but I draw the line at having to look at that distorted excuse for a face for hours on end.

shivam
06-04-2007, 12:04 AM
the kanji part of it is brutally hard.

alexb
06-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Well, it's all stored as PNG files in a folder. You could always redraw him, or barring that, replace his pics with blank files of the same size. It should work.

alexb
06-04-2007, 12:06 AM
How many kanji are there in this module? I've got about 52 under my belt at present.

Squall
06-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Hah, that would be awesome, TT Slime Forest Total Conversion!

Calorie Mate
06-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Man, I should totally play this and, like, relearn all of my forgotten knowledge.

alexb
06-05-2007, 04:58 PM
What do you have to lose? I'm actually pretty impressed with it. I've been trying to force myself to learn kana for years and I've got them down pretty well after only a couple of weeks.

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks for this. My japanese has been slipping away ever since I stopped taking it last year.

alexb
06-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Well, finished the quest last night. This is a very painless way to learn the language. More kanji to learn after completing the story content now. Hm. I now know the kanji for hemp.