PDA

View Full Version : RPG #7: Phantasy Star II

Parish
02-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Hey kids! It's time to hop aboard the Retronautsmobile for a joyride. Destination: the Algol system.

Phantasy Star
Sega | RPG | Genesis | 1989

You can play the original! Or the import-only Saturn version! Or the Genesis Collection for PSP and PS2! Or the GBA compilation! Or on GameTap! Or wait for it to come to Virtual Console (which will be Monday). GO.

Eusis
02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
... Despite taking my handle from this game, I probably won't seriously play. This was a game I really enjoyed but is too archaic for me to play through again, doesn't help we never received a release with a respectable walking speed. But hey, it can't hurt to pop it in the PSP and play a few dungeons into.

(I've also got more copies of this game than any other, I'm pretty sure. Original, PC and DC Smash Packs, Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA, and the Sega Genesis Collection on the PSP.)

Stiv
02-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey, I bought that GBA three-in-one cart a while ago and I never actually finished Phantasy Star II, having given up in that horrible ICE DUNGEON. Honestly I'd rather be playing Phantasy Star IV, though, but maybe I'll actually have two fun clubs to do this month!

Thinaran
02-16-2008, 03:05 AM
I tried this game, didn't like it very much. The game is hard, the battle system is annoying, the dungeons I played had confusing layouts, and there is too much early grinding. And whenever you get a new character, they're level 1 and takes forever to level. Suikoden, it is not.

Octopus Prime
02-16-2008, 03:22 AM
I hate to parrot everything that's already been said but, I own PS2 in at least three different flavors, and despite liking it, the games a bit too archaic in design (and poor in localization) for me to really want to sit down and plough through it.

Sorry.

Now, when we get to PS4, I'll be all OVER that.

Jakanden
02-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Gotta also state my lack of desire to play this again. If we were doing PS IV, I would have no problem, but PS II just hasn't aged well.

Parish
02-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Never mind about never minding. This one'll be open for the rest of the month for those who want to participate. Those who don't are welcome to shut the hell up for a couple of weeks.

Thinaran
02-17-2008, 03:53 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/Phantasy_Star_II.jpg

Wow, that is ugly. Anyone have the Japanese box art?

I hope there'll be some story discussion, the story of the game always interested me.

Octopus Prime
02-17-2008, 03:55 PM
In as far as villains who kill off the main characters love interest midway through the game are concerned, Neifirst is awesome.

Hey, umm, should we still mark spoilers? The game IS about 15 years old.

Eusis
02-17-2008, 04:05 PM
A quick google image search got me this for the Japanese cover:

Edit: Forget this, Spineshark posted an infinitely superior picture, plus the back cover.

As for spoilers: Personally, I was surprised by the ending when I played the game in 2000, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the twists either aren't that huge or have been spoiled plenty already, namely the Nei one. I'll play it safe myself, there's plenty of people who are playing this for the first time and I'd hate to avoid spoilers this long only to be hit with them when I'm actually playing it.

alexb
02-17-2008, 04:14 PM
The joke's on you guys. He's just going to close this thread again when he comes down off that codeine high.

Parish
02-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey, umm, should we still mark spoilers? The game IS about 15 years old.
Shane and Christian spoiled the entire game on the podcast, so I wouldn't bother.

alexb
02-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Serious question: Is there a good fan translation of this game, like the one that exists for PS1?

Eusis
02-17-2008, 04:31 PM
There's a retranslation out there done by Naflign. His site's long dead though and I'm not sure of a link with the patch that's completely fine to link, but you can probably find it with a bit of searching.

gamin
02-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I think I'll give this a go, it sounded pretty interesting on Retronauts, and I've always wanted to get into the Phantasy Star series proper after playing and loving PSO. I found a retranslation at http://www.romhacking.net/trans/72/ for those who are interested. I think I'll use it myself.

sraymonds
02-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Eat it, haters. Time to juice up the PSP.

Red Hedgehog
02-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Alright, time to finally get my characters to high enough levels to survive the second to last boss. At least I'm pretty sure there's a suprise big bad behind the boss that seems to be the last one. SPOILER: I'm talking about the evil computer that charms your characters, that motherfucker. God that's a frustrating fight and I'm just assuming with more levels and spells I'll actually be able to beat it.

Of course, I also have to set up my Genesis/Sega CD/32X Frankenmonster in my living room but that hopefully won't be too hard.

Loki
02-17-2008, 06:33 PM
When I first played the game back on an emulator I got past the first dungeon and remember it being a lot of fun, but every attempt since then on GBA I havn't been able to find my way back to that first dungeon and given up in frustration.

What's this talk of a new translation? Like, for the remakes? Or is the orginal translation considered so bad that fans had to make a new one? Color me confused.

spineshark
02-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Wow, that is ugly. Anyone have the Japanese box art?

I hope there'll be some story discussion, the story of the game always interested me.
I'd always recommend checking gamefaqs for box shots. It rarely fails in this regard, unless you're looking for something so incredibly obsucre that you shouldn't expect to see it anywhere.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/5/526675_2184_front.jpg
Check out the back (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/genesis/image/526675.html?box=2184) though. That's freaky.

A couple months ago I wouldn't have even considered replaying this game. When I first played it a couple years ago, it felt like it had aged incredibly badly. What could've been (since I wasn't entirely sure) brilliant and ambitious at the time felt tedious and muddled.

Having played a lot (which is actually a little) of Etrian Odyssey, I've come to look at the game with a new perspective. Sure, the game is tedious, and features a lot of level-grinding with not much gameplay payoff (three boss fights? honestly!). The mazes seem designed solely to frustrate as well.

But there's something so amazing at the center. The story is, by today's standards, overly simple. I don't think it could be any more brilliantly told. Here is a story that relies entirely on its ideas. The translation may be perfunctory and the cutscenes (thankfully!) lacking in action sequences and lengthy dialogue, but the concepts there shine through anyway. The icing is the wonderful, melancholy soundtrack, that suits the struggle perfectly.

Or maybe not. I'll see what I think when I start playing again, which will be tonight. I will be using maps this time, for damn sure.

Octopus Prime
02-17-2008, 06:36 PM
The Translation was so bad that someone fixed it.

alexb
02-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Check out the back (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/genesis/image/526675.html?box=2184) though. That's freaky.

I'd be frowning, too, if I had to walk around in those boots. They don't look comfortable.

Parish
02-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I'd be frowning, too, if I had to walk around in those boots. They don't look comfortable.
She looks like someone just told her the game's big spoiler. Or maybe she's just pissed that the dude who regards her as a "little sister" makes her fight deadly monsters while dressed for a hostess club.

alexb
02-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Either way, Rolf's a pervert.

fanboymaster
02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
I'll probably pick up Sega Genesis Collection tomorrow so I think I'll join in. I played about an hour of it before managing to snap my Smashpack disc in half (don't ask how it happened) and always wanted to retry.

tungwene
02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I own the Sega Genesis Collection version. Don't know if I'll join in or not. Apollo Justice does come out this week and I'm still not done with Professor Layton.

Shadax
02-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I tried for about an hour to get into this, but I ended up losing interest and reading the Let's Play for a while instead.
Not that it's a bad game, but the challenge to payoff ratio is a bit steep for my taste.

Stiv
02-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Maybe it's just me, but that box art looks kind of like it belongs on a 17-year old girl's deviantart account.

Time to break out the GBA for a little Phantasy Star lovin'. Maybe we can do PSIV next month to appease the haters?

estragon
02-18-2008, 01:50 AM
Sweet.

I'm gonna pop in the Sega Ages remake later tonight. Unfortunately, I never played the original, so I can't tell you about the differences. (The original is included on the disc, but I just don't care enough to go through it twice.)

I hope it's better than the PS1 remake, which gives Final Fantasy :Dawn of Souls a run for its money in terms of shocking easiness due to nerfing the enemies and making your characters crazy powerful with constant level ups.

mopinks
02-18-2008, 02:05 AM
I hope it's better than the PS1 remake, which gives Final Fantasy :Dawn of Souls a run for its money in terms of shocking easiness due to nerfing the enemies and making your characters crazy powerful with constant level ups.

this sounds like the version for me!

I just don't have the patience for grindy dinosaur RPGs anymore.

estragon
02-18-2008, 02:51 AM
this sounds like the version for me!

I just don't have the patience for grindy dinosaur RPGs anymore.

The problem was that it was so easy it was completely mindless. There was just no reason not to autobattle every turn and then cast cure once it was over. I don't think any boss took more than 8 turns.

On the other hand, PS2 if feeling just right so far. It's got that old RPG unfriendliness in that my first random battle was difficult, but it didn't take more than a couple minutes to shoot up 5 levels or so. I haven't played the original, but compared to other RPGs of this era it feels like the battle difficult is the same but the level progession has been rebalanced. Maybe.

sraymonds
02-18-2008, 04:46 AM
I was going to start playing this last night, but I can't find my Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP. This sucks.

djSyndrome
02-18-2008, 05:55 AM
I don't own the Genesis collection and my real Genesis is busted, so thank Yuji Naka for Virtual Console!

estragon
02-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Whee. I got the dynamite! On to Nido Tower at some future point in time.
That's definitely enough of that for tonight.

Also: I played the first couple minutes of the Genesis version to compare, and my god the walking speed is so slow. I wish there was some compromise version with the remake's faster walking speed, smoother battles, and more pleasant interface but with the Genesis' more charming graphics and music.

(The remake has some of that bad Korean MMORPG sprite business going on. It's pretty gross.)

sraymonds
02-18-2008, 06:03 AM
I don't own the Genesis collection and my real Genesis is busted, so thank Yuji Naka for Virtual Console!

?

ahnslaught
02-18-2008, 08:26 AM
OK, I'm starting this game again for about the fourth time in my life. Hopefully, I'll get further than my previous efforts (only about 5-6 hours each time until frustration set in), as I really want to experience the whole thing myself.

My first Fun Club participation! Hurray!

Eusis
02-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Played some yesterday, resuming from a save just after getting Rudo that I made when I got the Collection originally. I pretty much just ground for EXP/Meseta and got Rudo a shotgun and Rolf a sword. It's a grinding hell just as I remembered, but I'm still very fond of the overall style of the game. This 80's sci-fi anime vibe is great, really wish a modern game could recapture it.

Ghost from Spelunker
02-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I've never gone through an entire RPG in my life, but I thought I'd try this one, if only because I remember seeing so many mentions of it in Gamepro's SWAT section. I have to say it's primitive. The only way it could be more primitive is if you couldn't change your party once the game began.

Is there any use for Rudo? I buy him the newest gun, then the enemies outgrow it and Rudo has to use a knife like every wimpy character in the game.

Are you guys renaming your party members after Talking Time members (with those mighty 4 characters)? I changed Hugh Thompson's name to TOMM.

Shadax
02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
So guys, about that final plot twist!

Does it come up in any of the other games, or is that just a tiny bit of crazy they threw in there for fun?

Eusis
02-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Does it come up in any of the other games, or is that just a tiny bit of crazy they threw in there for fun?
Tiny bit of crazy... Mostly. It comes up again in PSIII, where one of the endings has the generation ship the game took place on being sent through a black hole to Earth, the final text being the London Communication Center hailing them. Aside from that, it really isn't touched on again.

And good god keep Rudo and keep him at the front of your party, he's your meat shield and you can get more awesome guns for him later anyway.

djSyndrome
02-18-2008, 04:41 PM
?

Basically the VC version is the only way I have of playing this game.

Side note: I'm probably the only human on earth that liked PSIII. Well, besides Bettenhausen, but he's a complete wacko and doesn't count.

sraymonds
02-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Basically the VC version is the only way I have of playing this game.

Side note: I'm probably the only human on earth that liked PSIII. Well, besides Bettenhausen, but he's a complete wacko and doesn't count.

I have the Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA, so I'm 3/4ths of the way to having the complete set!

And I beat PSIII three times, because I tried to get every combination of baby-making I could, before I burnt out.

EDIT: GODDAMMIT THE CARTRIDGE ISN'T WORKING

Shadax
02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I think I might try the Numan revolution hack out, as it doubles the experience and Maseta that you get from enemies, making the game not as much of a chore.

Well, I'm assuming that the dungeons that feature giant pits that send you back to the beginning are still there, so it's still somewhat of a chore.
EDIT: Just for clarification of my status as a dirty pirate, I own the GBA collection, but like sraymonds, it doesn't work for some reason

gamin
02-18-2008, 10:06 PM
How's the Genesis Collection? I was considering getting the PS2 version a while back, but now that I have a PSP I might want that instead. Playing PS II on a PC emulator just feels boring for the same reasons playing anything on PC emulation feels boring--when it's on the monitor it just doesn't feel like a video game anymore. That said, it is nice to speed up the auto battles in this game.

Eusis
02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
The PSP version's good for the most part, but there's occasionally silence as music loads. If that bothers you, the PS2 version probably lacks this and would be better to get. If it doesn't lack this, get the VC version.

djSyndrome
02-19-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm about 30 minutes in and just grinding for fun and to get used to the battle system. It's not a bad game, especially for its time. Sure as hell beats the stuffing out of the first Final Fantasy.

jrburke99
02-19-2008, 10:46 AM

Wow. She has grandma knees!

Shadax
02-19-2008, 09:39 PM
What I like about this game, unlike several rpgs with major character death, there's a specific reason that the character that dies stays dead.

Eusis
02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Got the key in the first dungeon, bailed to revive Rolf, and went to the next dungeon... And saw I needed another item from the first. I think I may've quickly burnt through my tolerance for the grind and maze-like dungeons, but I'll go through again later.

Dadgum Roi
02-20-2008, 06:08 AM
I fired up the VC version of this yesterday and put an hour or so into it. I like it! Sure, the combat system, menu system, graphics, and dialogue are all about as modern as Cro-Magnon cave paintings, but the appeal of the RPG for me is the promise of exploring a wide, unknown world- and this world seems pretty interesting at first blush. Terraformed pods, cloning labs, and an item list that reads like an inventory manifest for an out of the way antiquarian auto parts store; sign me up. GRAN* resolves to plunge the depths of this world's mysteries.

*I found it mildly amusing that the super-powered Genesis still found the four character name limit insuperable. Presumably it took every bit of the SNES' juice to get that fifth letter in without causing the whole superstructure to collapse. On the bright side, calling myself GRAN does kind of fit with Phantasy Star II's Hispanic-influenced place and item naming scheme.

estragon
02-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Whee I got to the Biosystem, although I haven't really explored it much, since I'm just grinding Annu up to a decent level at this point.

Also: I haven't given anyone piano lessons yet. Does it make any difference who I do this too? Apparently he gives the dudes discounts because he thinks they're hot, but what characters benefit the most from music abilities?

Quality Champion
02-20-2008, 07:12 AM
I've only ever played the original Phantasy Star, but after hearing how great this one is on Retronauts, I figured that it was worth a go. So I've downloaded the VC version and right now I'm an hour in, just grinding away.

For an RPG from '89-'90, it's pretty good. Back then all I had played was FF1 & Dragon Warrior 1 & 2, so I guess it's a step up from that. Time to take down the Scoundrels in Shure...

I've put down the DS version of Final Fantasy 3 to play this right now, and I have to say sound & graphics aside, the experience of playing is very similar.

djSyndrome
02-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Not wanting to fight the kids over the Wii for the next two weeks, I caved and bought a copy of the Genesis Collection for the PSP. Now I get to start all over again. Hooray!

Question: at the beginning of the game Nei doesn't have a weapon. How long do you go without one? In my first game I bought her one right away, but now I'm finding that leaving her on defend helps both characters go longer between healing, as she blocks most every attack.

Dadgum Roi
02-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Question: at the beginning of the game Nei doesn't have a weapon. How long do you go without one?

And as an addedum to this, is there a way to tell when a character will be able to equip a better weapon? I've got the cash to buy GRAN a new weapon, but he can't equip anything more powerful than his starting weapon.

Quality Champion
02-20-2008, 07:40 AM
To answer the question about Nei, I would say that it's probably better to give her 2 steel bars as soon as possible. She may defend a lot of attacks, but on the flipside she'll kill enemies twice as fast if she's striking twice.

I will say, any RPG where you can double up on weapons is a good thing. Battles can become tedious at times, and anything that will get you through them quicker is a-ok in my book.

Red Hedgehog
02-20-2008, 11:06 AM
And as an addedum to this, is there a way to tell when a character will be able to equip a better weapon? I've got the cash to buy GRAN a new weapon, but he can't equip anything more powerful than his starting weapon.

I remember having to consult the chart that came with the game quite a bit to determine who could use which weapon. So, uh, I guess either look it up or save, buy, and try.

Dadgum Roi
02-20-2008, 11:11 AM
I remember having to consult the chart that came with the game quite a bit to determine who could use which weapon. So, uh, I guess either look it up or save, buy, and try.

Right after I wrote that post, I remembered that "110 page hint book included!!!" is Late 80s/Early 90s for: "Man, this shop interface blows!"

Ghost from Spelunker
02-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Does the existance of trimate and moon dew make Amy useless? Do the dew, Shir!

Are the spells names (that I always mix up) supposed to be Romanized, untranslated Japanese, Phantasy talk, or both?

And I made it to the zombie rabbits that attack me with their own guts on Dezo, but I'm still going to try to finish the game. Even if it can't become better than that.

Aquadeo
02-20-2008, 07:27 PM
*I found it mildly amusing that the super-powered Genesis still found the four character name limit insuperable.

"My name is Rudolph Steiner. But people call me RUDO. Is that what you would like to call me?"

'A' for effort, gentlemen.

Dadgum Roi
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm stuck on the first dungeon, and the maps on phantasy-star.net are illegible. Anyone know of some better ones?

Red Hedgehog
02-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Try these (http://www.fantasyanime.com/phantasystar/ps2maps.htm)or these (http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/genesis/ps2/maps.shtml).

The talk of maps makes me realize how totally lost I'm going to be when I finally start playing this again as the last few caves/dungeons are a bitch.

spineshark
02-21-2008, 01:12 AM
If a character can't use a weapon, the shopkeeper will say "You must be joking, right?" if you try to buy a weapon with that character (you're still allowed to though, as I recall). If the character can use the weapon, she doesn't do that.

I'm taking it rather slowly so I don't get burned out, but I've finished Shure and I'm really enjoying this game more than I did last time. Part of it is having the maps, which save a lot of repetitive trips. Another aspect is having a better idea of what to do early in the game (i.e. having everybody dual-wield).

Moreover though, the game has a textbook case of low-tech charm for me. As I mentioned before, the plot scenes lack the self-importance and spectacle that's far too common these days, thanks to the game's age. The art and its charming '80s futuristic style really hit a sweet spot for me. And the battle background, despite being pretty nonsensical, is awesome and eerie. On newer hardware, I'd have to think these things would be compromised. If the game had never come out in its original form, I'd probably never care, but I can't imagine the game without it's aged quirks. Sort of like SMT1, which is the creepiest rpg I've ever seen thanks in large part to the (apparent, at least) hardware limitations.
What I like about this game, unlike several rpgs with major character death, there's a specific reason that the character that dies stays dead.
Usually I don't care about handwaving like this, because for one thing it's a game so game elements come first, but also because the explanations tend to be convoluted and/or just plain dumb. In this case though, the explanation is so awesome, clever, and wicked that I really have to stand for it. In fact, it's just one of a number of times in the game where a shocking revelation or event happens, and while your mind is still being messed with, the game one-ups itself just a little more. That's awesome.

estragon
02-21-2008, 03:26 AM
So, I just got the system recorder and recruited the Biologist.

Embarassing admission: The part of me that loves being abused really enjoys having to level up new party members from Lv. 1.

estragon
02-21-2008, 04:29 AM
I just finished getting the biologist to a decent level and then the counter-hunter shows up. I don't even know what to do with all these characters. I sort of wish Nei would die sooner so I could have some more party customization options.

To people who have played the game before: What are your thoughts on the various party members?

Dadgum Roi
02-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Try these (http://www.fantasyanime.com/phantasystar/ps2maps.htm)or these (http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/genesis/ps2/maps.shtml).

Thanks- those will do nicely.

Lee N
02-21-2008, 08:09 PM
The part of me that loves being abused really enjoys having to level up new party members from Lv. 1.
Haha, me too. I mean, you need the mesetas anyway so you might aswell take your time to level up for a bit every time you get a new character. It also gives you an incentive to get to know the new characters a little better as they develop.

It's been a long time since I played Phantasy Star 2 the last time, but I'm having a very good time now as I'm replaying it on VC - I really hope they'll release PS I, III and IV too - and soon.

Dadgum Roi
02-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Made it through Shure yesterday with the help of a map. The screwy layout was the only obstacle, as by this point I'd leveled up enough that most battles didn't pose much of a challenge, and I don't even have my characters optimally equipped- Rolf and Rudo aren't dual wielding.

Healy
02-22-2008, 04:09 PM
A minor note, but I really, really hate how you can't target individual enemies, at least in the default battle mode. I can't tell you how many times battles have been prolonged just because ROLF or whatever his name is targets a different enemy every single time. I'm really digging the game's retro-futuristic feel, but man is targeting a bitch.

estragon
02-23-2008, 05:22 PM
No more Nei.

Also, Huey is now officially useless. Hello Kainz!

djSyndrome
02-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm still in the first dungeon, and I'm about ready to reach for a walkthrough :(

Eusis
02-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm still in the first dungeon, and I'm about ready to reach for a walkthrough :(
The maps are more useful.

Haven't gotten around to playing more, going in th at first dungeon AGAIN really isn't appealing, plus I've wanted to put more time into Lost Odyssey... And haven't played much of that lately either.

estragon
02-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I think the first dungeon was probably the hardest one to navigate so far.

Also: Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow dams? Seriously? I hope these are short, because it feels like they're not even trying with this one.

This is giving me bad flashbacks to the colored towers in the first Lufia game . . .

Dadgum Roi
02-24-2008, 06:49 AM

Go ahead and check out the maps that were linked to further up- trust me, there's no shame in it.

djSyndrome
02-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Actually, I gave it one last try and made it through. Got all the locked chests, too (I hope!)

Now the second dungeon is driving me nuts with its monsters. I need new armor :\

estragon
02-24-2008, 07:09 AM
It's official: I hate these dams.

Dadgum Roi
02-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Actually, I gave it one last try and made it through. Got all the locked chests, too (I hope!)

Now the second dungeon is driving me nuts with its monsters. I need new armor :\

As long as you got both sticks of dynamite, you're good. You have to use one to get into Nido, and I'm guessing another at some point inside Nido, but I haven't gotten that far.

Dadgum Roi
02-24-2008, 11:48 AM
What's the deal with the GBA version? Is it worth getting- I remember reading about a potentially game killing save bug.

alexb
02-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I think that's in Phantasy Star I. II is supposed to be safe, from what I hear.

Healy
02-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Okay, just got Rudo, named him JERK. Now it's off to that one dungeon-place.

estragon
02-27-2008, 04:44 AM
Ugh. These dams are the opposite of fun. I was really liking it until they happened, too. Only one more to go, though.

I hope it gets better again, because this whole sequence feels like it was padded on so someone could write an "over x hours of gameplay!" bullet point. And I don't think those bullet points even existed at the time.

Four dams is too way too many.

Dadgum Roi
02-27-2008, 05:13 AM
What's the deal with the dams? I'd assumed that they were just a kind of doorway that you had to get a "key" for in order to pass through into new areas of the world map.

estragon
02-27-2008, 05:32 AM
What's the deal with the dams? I'd assumed that they were just a kind of doorway that you had to get a "key" for in order to pass through into new areas of the world map.

By the time you get to the dams, you will have already been everywhere else on the world map. At that time, you will have to go through dungeons in each of the dams, one by one, to open them up to prevent a flood. Also, before that there is a dungeon to get the keys to unlock the entrances to these dams.

With one dam left to go, I feel confident in saying this was time consuming filler. They should have just made this one dungeon that allowed you to open up all the dams or something along those lines rather than a tedious 5 dungeon sequence, because it absolutely kills the great momentum that was building up until that point.

Basically, right after the Aeris dies moment, the game stops you in your tracks and says, "Why don't you trudge through 5 generic dungeons with more or less the same enemies before anything interesting happens?"

It's not very friendly.

Red Hedgehog
02-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Basically, right after the Aeris dies moment, the game stops you in your tracks and says, "Why don't you trudge through 5 generic dungeons with more or less the same enemies before anything interesting happens?"

It's not very friendly.

But it's better than snowboarding!

I believe you get to go off planet shortly after opening up the dams.

Brickroad
02-27-2008, 09:04 AM
I grabbed this on Gametap and it's just too oldschool for me. Oldschool only works if there's some nostalgia playing into it.

I'll patiently wait for the PS4 fun club. Mmmm... nostalgia!

djSyndrome
02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
I've sunk six hours into PS2 and discovered that it's about as much fun as a combination of a prostate exam and your driver's license test. The grinding is boring, the battle system is horrible and the character development is nearly nonexistent. Yeah, Nei dies. So what. She has had two lines of dialogue in the game thus far and I doubt that she's going to have much more. How can I care about a character's life and death when the character is so poorly developed to begin with? Everyone gave a shit when Aeris died - in spite of the poorly localized narrative - because you still spent twenty hours getting into her skull, meeting her 'mom' and learning about her story.

Compared to its 8-bit contemporaries it does some things right, but it's long and drawn out just for the sake of extending the gameplay - the antithesis of good RPG design.

Playing PSII did, however, inspire me to start replaying PSIII. Yeah, I know. Shut up.

I'll patiently wait for the PS4 fun club.

VERY YES.

Red Hedgehog
02-27-2008, 09:48 AM
I grabbed this on Gametap and it's just too oldschool for me. Oldschool only works if there's some nostalgia playing into it.

I've sunk six hours into PS2 and discovered that it's about as much fun as a combination of a prostate exam and your driver's license test.

Now this is exactly what I expected the Phantasy Star II fun club to turn into.

It really is amazing to me that this game seems to have aged less well than the original Phantasy Star. I think it is because in the original, you are always exploring (unlike the dam problem as mentioned above), there maybe isn't quite as much grinding, and it is much easier to go through the game with maps of the dungeons.

Anyway, this weekend I'll finally play some Phantasy Star II. I promise!

gamin
03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I keep trying to go back to it but I don't know...I've got more fun games to play right now, and about the only way I can stand PS II is turning up the emulation speed on battles. I'm not a fan of the dungeons either.

Its too bad, because the style of the game, the setting and the overall story seems really interesting. If someone updated it all to a modern standard, that would be very awesome. As it is, the game feels like it's trapped beneath the conventions of its day.

estragon
03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
If someone updated it all to a modern standard, that would be very awesome.

Having just finished the Sega Ages remake of it, I'm not so sure about this. Everything about the gamer was sped up, and the interface was a lot more friendly, but overall I have to say the experience was pretty "meh." The first half was good, but it completely fell apart after Nei's death. The 2nd half of the game was basically 10 really fetch questy dungeons in a row.

I eventually just FAQed my way through them, because after getting lost for hours to the point where I was ridiculously overpowered from all the random battles, I just wanted to be done with the game. I think it would need a pretty drastic overhaul rather than an update to still be a good game these days, especially in terms of the way the whole 2nd half of the game plays out.

The updates make it playable, but it would need a lot more than that to make it enjoyable, I think.

Also, question about the ending: In Retronauts, Bettenhausen suggested all your characters die in the end, but I'm not so sure this is right. They do get cornered by the people from Earth, but Lutz teleports in all your party members to fight them. It seems to end on a note of your party members getting revenge on the Earth people who created Motherbrain, rather than your party members dying. Also, since Lutz teleported your party members in, I don't see why he couldn't get them out. It just seems like a big leap to assume that a bunch of people from Earth would defeat your party that just destroyed the root of all evil (Dark Force). Also, the music while your party members fought the Earth people as well as the things they said seemed triumphant rather than tragic. What do other people think?

Red Hedgehog
03-03-2008, 06:27 AM
I finally got around to hooking up my Genesis and playing Phantasy Star II. I first started playing this around July of 2006 and got through most of the game, but got stuck before the final boss encounter because it kept killing me.

So... After resuming my saved game, I had to completely reorient myself. Apparently I had saved about 1 tile away from the boss encounter. So I then began fighting random encounters in order to get up to level 35 so I can get the super-duper spell. I started at level 32 and ended at 34. Only 120,000 or so more exp to go! Yeah, this game. It did a lot of cool stuff for when it first came out, but some parts are such a pain to play today.

Ghost from Spelunker
03-03-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm stuck on Dezo. Right where my ship landed. I tried making a map of the catwalks and where the teleports go, but the surroundings look just too much alike to make a map. And whoever did make a map must be a genius.

That wasn't very bright of Sega to drop me off on a huge planet where nobody speaks my language with multiple paths, and no clues.

Red Hedgehog
03-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm stuck on Dezo. Right where my ship landed. I tried making a map of the catwalks and where the teleports go, but the surroundings look just too much alike to make a map. And whoever did make a map must be a genius.

That wasn't very bright of Sega to drop me off on a huge planet where nobody speaks my language with multiple paths, and no clues.

I'm pretty sure someone in the game tells you about the magic caps of language understanding, I just don't remember who or where.