PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon for Fun Club

Parish
02-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Looking to crack open a game but wanted to wait until Fun Club? Here's a loose schedule of things (to which I will be adding over time) which shall be featured topics:

FC 42 (Starts 1/18):
Zone of the Enders
Sonic The Hedgehog (Alt.)

FC 43 (Starts 1/25):
(poll pending)

FC 44 (Starts 2/1):
(pending)

FC 45 (Starts 2/10):
Retro Game Challenge
(Alt. pending)

FC 46 (Starts 2/16 and 2/17)
Dragon Quest V
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (Alt.)

FC 47 (Starts 2/23):
Dead Rising
(Alt. pending)

UPCOMING:
Vagrant Story
Halo Wars
Suikoden Tierkreis
Mad World
Yoshi's Island
Secret of Evermore
Parasite Eve
Pikmin
Gunstar Heroes
Final Fantasy Legend III
Dragon Warrior III
Myst
Castlevania III

RPGs
Planescape: Torment (February)
Star Ocean IV: The Last Hope (March)

Remember: Main selections will last two weeks and alternates will be one. However, if the alternate is a lengthy new release, it will last two as well.

Octopus Prime
02-25-2008, 10:59 AM
This is a handy reference Parish, I thank you from the bottom of my shriveled, wretched, heart.

Also, I guess I'll just hold off until April to start playing Dragon Quarter. That's coo' wif me.

MCBanjoMike
02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
All right! I won't be playing any of those! Actually, by the time Persona 3 FES starts up, I'll probably just be finishing regular Persona 3, at which point I'll have to avoid the new thread for the FES spoilers (since I do want to play FES eventually). Go me!

Oh well, this will make it easier to play fewer games in the coming months, which is something I think I should attempt to do. That said, maybe I'll going in for some MGS action when those come up, since they don't take long to play and I've been wanting to replay the first one for a while.

Jakanden
02-25-2008, 11:20 AM
I won't be playing any of the RPG's, Smash Bros or GTA IV, but everything else I will be playing.

Thanks for the early notice.

Red Hedgehog
02-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Yay! No main selections for me. The RPGs look pretty delicious, though.

djSyndrome
02-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Yay! No main selections for me. The RPGs look pretty delicious, though.

What?! The World Ends With You looks like the BEST GAME EVAR. I easily expect it to sell four zillion copies in North America and cause a zipper-infused fashion wave to sweep across the tweens of our great nation*

* = not entirely the truth

Dynastic Bird
02-25-2008, 11:40 AM
...Well, there's always Smash. Kind of surprised we're doing that one, actually.

poetfox
02-25-2008, 11:44 AM
I continue to look forward to The World Ends With You for no real reason, apparently.
This list might end up making me buy Crisis Core, which... I dunno. I'm iffy on. It will also almost definitely make me get Shiren, even though I suck at Rougelikes, (Seriously, that I got as far as I did in Etrian and Blue Rescue Team confused me) because I buy every DS game ever.
Also, I don't know what we're going to talk about for Smash besides "Was that awesome or what! That was so awesome!"
But a good, solid list in general, most definitely.

shivam
02-25-2008, 11:49 AM
awesome list. patapon for the win, folks.

Red Hedgehog
02-25-2008, 12:12 PM
What?! The World Ends With You looks like the BEST GAME EVAR. I easily expect it to sell four zillion copies in North America and cause a zipper-infused fashion wave to sweep across the tweens of our great nation*

* = not entirely the truth

Yeah, uh, maybe if it gets amazing reviews I'll pick up The World Ends With You. But... probably not. Besides I have other games to play. And if I cared more about Smash I might pick it up in time for the fun club.

Parish
02-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Sneer if you want, but I think anyone who actually gives it a chance will find a lot to like about it. I've been very pleasantly surprised.

Zef
02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Sneer if you want, but I think anyone who actually gives it a chance will find a lot to like about it. I've been very pleasantly surprised.

I'm surprised, period, especially after all the scorn we heaped on it not too long ago (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=2384).

So, using Shibuya's latest fashions to vanquish enemies isn't as bad as we thought?

Octopus Prime
02-25-2008, 12:47 PM

Wait, so first you end up liking Crisis Core, and now you're saying that The World Ends With You is good?

You endlessly surprise me.

djSyndrome
02-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Sneer if you want, but I think anyone who actually gives it a chance will find a lot to like about it.

Having played this game, I can honestly say it is a complete mess.

Gredlen
02-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Maybe he means it's a complete mess of awesome?
Anyway, I'm strongly in the skeptic camp on The World Ends With You, but I actually liked Crisis Core as well, so... maybe I should give it a chance? I feel so wrong.

djSyndrome
02-25-2008, 12:57 PM
I guess I should mention that I've already pre-ordered TWEWY for the spouse, so Zippers is getting my money no matter what :\

Parish
02-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, "complete mess" and "pleasantly surprised" is the difference between first impressions and giving it a fair chance. Parts of it are a mess, but it turns out there's enough customization and flexibility that it doesn't really matter.

Reluctant Hero
02-25-2008, 01:06 PM
I motion that Arcana Hearts should be the Alternate for April.

Zef
02-25-2008, 01:25 PM
On that note, I still hold out hope that Okami will be an Alternate at some point. Barring that, I'll pull a Let's Play of it on this board.

Jakanden
02-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I would be happy to replay Okami again as well.

I hadn't even considered The World Ends With You, but I added it to Gamefly as I figured why not. If it sucks, I send it back.

cortbassist89
02-25-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm pleased to see that the MGS series gets to be part of the Selection for Societal Sanity, that is, S3.

Like, I seriously nerd-giggled. And it's not even that funny.

Also, I'm pleased to see that P3 is getting the fun club treatment.

Eusis
02-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Alright, honestly I was interested in TWEWY simply because it's not a sequel, spin-off, or remake. This all overrides the fact Nomura cooked it up since it's the kind of thing I seriously miss SE doing, and if it really is good then I'll definitely have to check it out.

Also for Fes: Is it safe to assume the Funclub will double as the belated Funclub for the original game, being that it's included with it and all?

cortbassist89
02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Wait, so first you end up liking Crisis Core, and now you're saying that The World Ends With You is good?

You endlessly surprise me.
Sometimes I wonder if Parish wasn't carted off by aliens.

So long as he continues to hate Smash Brothers, I think it's still him.

Torgo
02-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I'll be all over MGS2 come May.

SamuelMarston
02-28-2008, 07:28 PM
This is a great list. I'm all over the RPGs and Smash.

It should be a blast.

Parish
02-28-2008, 08:37 PM
I think Nomura's hand in The World Ends With You is not quite so dominant as some believe. Based on the game credits he only designed the main characters and served as producer, which at Square isn't as important a role as director. The game's development was handled by Jupiter rather than in-house. The gameplay consists of mostly optional battles and plays out like they said, "Hey -- what if Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories was fun instead of awful?" It's stupidly customizable, too. You can slot in a ridiculous number of different battle skills, "armor," stats boosts, even handicap your current level to improve enemy drop rates.

Traumadore
02-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Hopefully Traumadore:Shiren::Kishi:Contra4

Alixsar
02-29-2008, 03:32 AM
Putting games other than Smash and MGS4 on that list makes no sense to me. That implies that I will be playing something other than Smash or MGS4. That's just crazy talk.

Thinaran
02-29-2008, 03:59 AM
Aha, so there has been announced a release date for FES. And it's only 35$! Preordered!

WreckTheLaw
03-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Very excited for The World Ends With You - and really I'm not sure why. I nearly bought the custom DS from Play Asia months ago, but you know, it ended up costing money that I didn't have.

Also, big GTA fan; I'll defend San Andreas as a commentary on class conflict til my death. So Yeah, GTAIV is something I'll definitely get in on as well.

Also, while I didn't play Persona 3, my roommate did and I watched every amazing second - can't wait for FES.

Sadly, I probably won't have a PS3 in time for MGS4. Also, that same roommate - a former Kojima nut - was driven to rage when he saw Old Snake put a gun in his mouth, and has made his position clear regarding the game. I dare not cross him or his wrath, despite the fact that I think utilitarian suicide suits good ol' Snake.

Parish
03-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Sadly, I probably won't have a PS3 in time for MGS4. Also, that same roommate - a former Kojima nut - was driven to rage when he saw Old Snake put a gun in his mouth, and has made his position clear regarding the game. I dare not cross him or his wrath, despite the fact that I think utilitarian suicide suits good ol' Snake.
He sort of assumes that scene was being played straight in the trailer, which I doubt. I figure the fact that the bosses seem to be tied to various emotions (and seem to possess some degree of psychic power) relates to that scene. But who knows! (In any case, it would be a dumb way to go... it's not like killing himself off would keep anyone from popping out any more Big Boss clones.)

WreckTheLaw
03-12-2008, 08:29 AM
He sort of assumes that scene was being played straight in the trailer, which I doubt. I figure the fact that the bosses seem to be tied to various emotions (and seem to possess some degree of psychic power) relates to that scene. But who knows! (In any case, it would be a dumb way to go... it's not like killing himself off would keep anyone from popping out any more Big Boss clones.)

Yeah... I kind of wish you could like, come over and berate my roommate for me. You'd do a good job and maybe he'd listen to you more than me.

I think he's just ready to hate on Kojima at this point: He doesn't like that Kojima is sick of making MGS games, which is fairly selfish, and sees MGS4 as an opportunity for Kojima to ruin his franchise so that no one else can fuck with it.

In any case, his idea of Solid Snake is entirely different than mine. He sees snake as... my words, not his, a moral absolutist. That there is right and that there is wrong, and that Snake taking his own life (for any reason) is wrong, and therefore he shouldn't do it. I think most people who watch 24 see Jack Bauer in this light, too, by the way. I Snake (and Jack, for that matter) him as a utilitarian... maybe with a bit of Kant's categorical imperative thrown in, but nothing so life-affirming.

Excitemike
03-12-2008, 08:48 AM
I think Snake is so poorly defined that people just invest whatever qualities they want to see in the character. I roll my eyes whenever people argue about continuity in MGS games. I think they're something you're supposed to enjoy in the moment like James Bond movies or soap operas.

WreckTheLaw
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
I think Snake is so poorly defined that people just invest whatever qualities they want to see in the character. I roll my eyes whenever people argue about continuity in MGS games. I think they're something you're supposed to enjoy in the moment like James Bond movies or soap operas.

I can buy that to a point. I think there are certain qualities that have been reaffirmed again and again: Snake thinks that there are things worth fighting for. He is determined and resilient and effective at finding solutions to problems on the fly. He's a flirtatious bastard, also, and puts high value on loyalty. These things are reconfirmed with each release.

Big Boss/Naked Snake feels for the average soldier, and fears a society in which they are used as tools instead of treated as people in and of themselves (Kant strikes again!)

I agree though that many of the other things - specifically an overall analysis of secondary values - are projected by players.

BEAT
03-28-2008, 11:23 AM
My complex and deep thoughts on snake:

He's a guy with a thing for boxes who fights giant robots. He can do awesome flippy stuff, except when he can't.

Excitemike
03-28-2008, 11:44 AM
True fact: hiding cigarettes in your stomach is actually much more difficult than repelling a missle with your feet.

Adrenaline
06-17-2008, 07:17 PM
This thread could use some new info.

Falselogic
07-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Parish, is there going to be an update to this soon, so we can plan and such, or just cheat and jump ahead?

Issun
07-30-2008, 12:04 AM
So, when are we doing Mega Man 8?

Parish
08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
NEW CHALLENGERS HAVE APPEARED:

Upcoming
Dragon Quest IV-VI
Fallout 3
Dragon Age
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Mega Man 9
Retro Game Challenge
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Persona 4
Valkyria Chronicles

Retro
Dragon Quest I-III
Parasite Eve
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy VII-X
Soulblazer
Gunstar Heroes
Castlevania III
Fallout 1 & 2
Baldur's Gate I & II
Diablo I & II
Yoshi's Island
I dunno, some other stuff

Octopus Prime
08-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Why Parish, our cup runneth over!

Ample Vigour
08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Baldur's Gate I & II
Diablo I & II

Now I get to call my mother and tell her I'm dropping out of college to play video games because a website told me to.

Thanks, Gamespite!

SilentSnake
08-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Planescape: Torment would make that list complete.

Tanto
08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Hm, I haven't done a Yoshi's Island runthrough in a while. Might be a good time to dust off my old cart.

Mazian
08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Retro
I dunno, some other stuff
Did your vague thoughts of playing Deus Ex on a Classic Mac ever come to fruition?

pence
08-13-2008, 09:09 AM
I am burning up over that Parasite Eve Fun Club like mitochondria.

PS: Vagrant Story!

Falselogic
09-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Soul Blazer and Castlevania 3!

Animate Nihilist
09-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Has there ever been an Ocarina of Time fun club? I'm sure everyone has played that game to death... but I'd really like to have a reason to finally finish it.

Falselogic
10-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Whats this months RPG?

four-so
10-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh my, Soul Blazer. Damn skippy.

SilentSnake
12-01-2008, 08:32 AM
How does Suikoden II for January sound?

Sarcasmorator
12-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Sounds like a Blight idea to me!

Makkara
12-01-2008, 09:23 AM

Wouldn't that kind of steal the thunder from the LP?

Parish
12-01-2008, 09:27 AM

I knew I made a good choice.

Brickroad
12-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a Blight idea to me!

Oh god I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Eusis
12-01-2008, 10:03 AM
But will we do Persona 4 this month?

(You haven't made a thread yet, so I'm guessing "Yes".)

Nobuyuki
12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Wouldn't that kind of steal the thunder from the LP?

Hopefully I'll have another update or two in by January!

I kid. I kid because I'm buried under a pile of work.

Sprite
12-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Does Suikoden II cost lots of money? Or is that a different one?

Octopus Prime
12-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Both of the first two Suikodens have the reputaion for being stupid-expensive.

Makkara
12-02-2008, 09:46 AM

Lots and lots and lots of money. Still worth it, though, if you're absolutely opposed to piracy.

SilentSnake
12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Updated! (And subject to change!)

pence
12-02-2008, 10:53 AM
The new list is savoury, but I lament the disappearance of Parasite Eve.

Or maybe this is the motivation I need to start a Let's Play.

Octopus Prime
12-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Is the Ys Funclub going to be in time for the DS re-release, or are they unrelated occurences?

SilentSnake
12-02-2008, 10:58 AM
The new list is savoury, but I lament the disappearance of Parasite Eve.

Or maybe this is the motivation I need to start a Let's Play.

Good point! Thanks for reminding me.

And the Ys will indeed come in time for the rerelease.

Dadgum Roi
12-02-2008, 10:59 AM
And the Ys will indeed come in time for the rerelease.

Good to know. I'm holding off for the DS remake.

Calorie Mate
12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Zack and Wiki!? I whole-heartedly approve. I love that game to pieces.

SilentSnake
12-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Okay here's what I'm thinking: I got a suggestion to do two RPGs in a month, so here's the way I think it should work. In a month where we have a big release, much like Persona 4, the Alt can be a portable RPG. This way, there is more overlap and the new one won't necessarily eat the other. In a month where there are no big RPG releases, the main one will be one that is easily available in stores, while the Alt can be an older one. And of course, if we have two big RPGs in a month, we will just do the two.

Or, we can keep it the way it is. Please provide feedback here and make requests in the request thread!

Balrog
12-06-2008, 06:12 PM
That's a good plan.

Adrenaline
12-06-2008, 06:23 PM
3 Fun Clubs at once isn't enough?

SilentSnake
12-06-2008, 06:30 PM
3 Fun Clubs at once isn't enough?

Yeah that is my biggest worry with it too. I'd rather not change what already works if it still works, so I figured I'd ask to see if that suggestion would work for you all or not. I want to open fun club up to more suggestions.

SilentSnake
12-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Alright alright, we'll do DWII in January. I'll pick something else.

Will anyone be willing to do Streets of Rage?

SilentSnake
12-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Fun Club is going to be a very Nintendo place in March. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171922)

At least it gives us a good chance to play Pikmin!

SilentSnake
12-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Question: How about Milon's Secret Castle for our Spite Club?

Balrog
12-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Mike mentioned that Castlevania Chronicles is up on PSN. I'd be up for that since I've never played it.

SilentSnake
12-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Mike mentioned that Castlevania Chronicles is up on PSN. I'd be up for that since I've never played it.

Good thing I was thinking the same thing. I think that will be our next alt.

MCBanjoMike
12-18-2008, 10:48 AM

Oh man, do this and I'll totally buy it. Plus, I could use it to take breaks from P4 without even turning off my PS3!

TheSL
12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Alright alright, we'll do DWII in January.

I'm ready for this one now. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=354927&postcount=466)

MCBanjoMike
12-18-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm ready for this one now. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=354927&postcount=466)

Yeah, I wasn't counting on that when I asked for a stay of execution. Why not start with DW III and play DW II with me in a month once I'm done with Mother 3?

SilentSnake
12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
If you can wait for like six months, we will be doing DWIII before DQVI. Or maybe sooner. We'll see.

TheSL
12-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I wasn't counting on that when I asked for a stay of execution. Why not start with DW III and play DW II with me in a month once I'm done with Mother 3?

What I'll probably do is an epic-sized marathon of Mother 3 over my break for the LP, then start DW2 closer to the end of the month, just in time for the Fun Club.

pence
12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Question: How about Milon's Secret Castle for our Spite Club?

I'd be down, I have the cart. I asked the guy at the flea market if he had anything like Shadowgate, and this is what he gave me. I did purchase it, but only because Percy plugs it in Princess Tomato.

SilentSnake
12-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Just a heads up: FC 39 will begin the week of January 5 and will be:

Retro Game Challenge
Metal Slug 3 (Alt.) (unless something super awesome appears on VC)

Also, I was planning on having the Suikoden II thread started on January 1, but now that Suikoden is released on PSN, I'm wondering if we should wait or not since it doesn't seem a pipe dream anymore. Please suggest, Fun Clubbers!

Note: There will be a January RPG opening on the first of the month no matter what, but the Persona 4 one will stay open until January 9th since we started late.

Housekeeping done.

Octopus Prime
12-28-2008, 03:59 AM
Just a heads up: FC 39 will begin the week of January 5 and will be:

Retro Game Challenge
Metal Slug 3 (Alt.) (unless something super awesome appears on VC)

Hooray!

Parish
12-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Retro Game Challenge was delayed until February.

Octopus Prime
12-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Boo!

SilentSnake
12-28-2008, 05:41 PM

...that suuuuuuuucks. I can't believe I missed that.

Okay. Give me a second to think of something else.

SilentSnake
12-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Has everyone already played God Hand at this point?

VorpalEdge
12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I got it for Christmas, so no.

Willm
12-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Has everyone already played God Hand at this point?

I haven't yet, and I've been looking for a great excuse to try it out.

alexb
12-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Have the fun clubs always been this short? It may just be my present circumstances, but they seem like they come and go very quickly now.

SilentSnake
12-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Have the fun clubs always been this short? It may just be my present circumstances, but they seem like they come and go very quickly now.

Traditionally, it's been one week for a normal game, two weeks for longer games, and longer than normal if the thread is still keeping active. Thing is, nothing really has been. They've been trailing off before the end.

Balrog
12-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I'd like longer fun clubs for short games. I tend to take my time.

SilentSnake
12-29-2008, 11:13 AM
I'd like longer fun clubs for short games. I tend to take my time.

I'm open to suggestions. How long if not a week?

Balrog
12-29-2008, 11:23 AM
I dunno, anything I say is going to sound arbitrary...so 2 weeks?

MCBanjoMike
12-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Sometimes I wonder if locking the threads is even necessary. Too bad there isn't a way to lock them into place while still leaving them open for new posts.

SilentSnake
12-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Sometimes I wonder if locking the threads is even necessary. Too bad there isn't a way to lock them into place while still leaving them open for new posts.

The idea of locking threads is so that everyone is playing the same game at the same time and talk about them. You know, like a book club. Except it's a Fun Club. Unlocking them would make things unfocused and they'd all be just a bunch of threads about games, like the talking about games forum.

Synergy and synchronization and all that rot.

Balrog
12-29-2008, 12:36 PM
What about posting the duration in the first post? Like Castlevania Chronicles 12/20 - 1/3 or something so I'm aware of the deadline and it's not so nebulous. Another thing to consider is the people who wait a week til they get paid or whatever. I dunno, it just seems weird to open a Fun Club for a week is all.

Knight
12-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I think listing the duration in the first post would be nice as well.

SilentSnake
12-29-2008, 01:26 PM
That sounds fair. I'll explicitly state it from now on, but to be clear, it can spill over to longer if there's enough interest.

SilentSnake
12-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Okay, we'll start the Dragon Warrior II one up next week for the main selection and have Metal Slug 3 as our alt. Sound ok?

MCBanjoMike
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
My personal opinion on the issue is that I almost always want games to go for at least two weeks. Often what happens is that a game I want to play is announced, but I'm already in the middle of a few others and I don't want to drop everything to participate. Then, by the time that I've freed myself up to play the FC game, the threads are often on the verge of being closed. So I wind up playing the FC game for a week or two after thread closure, then the whole vicious cycle starts all over again. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't mind if there are less Fun Clubs in the year, since this will make it easier for me to participate in the ones that we do have - and more likely that I will do so, too.

Also, thanks for delaying Dragon Warrior II, although I'm afraid I still won't be done with Mother 3 by next week. :/

SilentSnake
01-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I think we'll go back to using this. Also, I updated for most of the month of February, as it's going to be a big new release month.

Also, this set of polls will be the last for a while. I want to round up some of the runners up that had good support for future clubs.