PDA

View Full Version : FC 17: Patapon

Parish
02-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Does this game even have spoilers? I can't imagine, but mark them anyway, my little chitterlings!

Patapon
Sony | PSP | Rhythm/Strategy | 2008

Pos-ta-pos-ta-pos-talot.

VsRobot
02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
I... am...so...in. Must not forget to bring my PSP to work tomorrow.

Traumadore
02-26-2008, 10:03 PM
WellI should get this game and my green psp just in time for when this is over. I'll still enjoy it.

Parish
02-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Green... PSP...?

ArugulaZ
02-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Every time I see this game, I can't help but be reminded by those old Warner Bros. cartoons where the tiny, badly drawn cavemen would run up to a brontosaurus and start chopping away at its legs. Then the irritated dinosaur would sweep them all away with a swat of its tail.

djSyndrome
02-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Green... PSP...?

Why, yes (http://kotaku.com/342587/japan-gets-new-mint-green-psp)!

Also, first person who comes into this thread to say LOLZ DIS GAEM SUX gets a pata-spear in their pata-hole.

Jakanden
02-27-2008, 01:47 AM
I will be picking this up today but then I leave for Daytona tomorrow with no internet access so I cannot participate in the club.

Just assume I said it is awesome and I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Sarcasmorator
02-27-2008, 08:00 AM
LOLZ DIS GAEM AWSUM

Jakanden
02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Ye gods this game is awesome. I just fought the first boss and now one of my dudes has a flamming spear.

SEanEF
02-27-2008, 10:16 AM
For those who have picked it up already... Did you play the demo and get the bonus item? I'm also wondering if the save from the demo carries over into the main game or if you start over...

Might pick up the game before I leave town this afternoon, but might have to wait till I get back. But... burning type questions!

SamuelMarston
02-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Green... PSP...?

It's funny... due to my red/green colorblindness that just looks silver.

Ha, your green psp is not very effective!

I really wish I could play this game without getting a PSP, since it really isn't meant to happen for me right now.

SlimJimm
02-27-2008, 12:18 PM
I feel the same way.
This $20 game is begging for me to buy a $200 PSP. :(

TheSL
02-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Maybe it'll get ported to the PS2 like most other PSP games worth buying the system over? I'm torn over whether to buy this game, Etrian Odyssey or just wait since Smash Bros comes out next weekend.

Falselogic
02-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I struggled through the first mission, and can't seem to hunt meat... I suck with the rhythm... *le sigh*

djSyndrome
02-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Maybe it'll get ported to the PS2 like most other PSP games worth buying the system over?

ITT we argue what a 'good' PSP game is (hint: not Silent Hill Origins!)

Also, buy EO if you can find it, because it's getting pretty hard to find.

TheSL
02-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Honestly, the only reason I have a PSP was for the Metal Gear games and we see how ported they got(i.e. not). It just seems like there is an awful lot of porting to PS2 going on.

Etrian's been in the local Gamestop pretty much every time I've been there since it was released, so I don't think it'll be that tough to come by here.

shivam
02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
this game is no harder than Bust a Groove was on the PS1, rhythmically.

Sarcasmorator
02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
For some reason the pata-pata-pata-pon command reminds me very strongly of "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" in "The Nightmare Before Christmas." I've had both stuck in my head for days.

Now maybe you will too!

tungwene
02-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I struggled through the first mission, and can't seem to hunt meat... I suck with the rhythm... *le sigh*Oops, don't walk right up to whatever you're hunting. Ignore the birds, they're a little tricky for you now if you can't kill anything at the moment. You can't hit them if you're standing right next to them anyways.

tungwene
02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Grr, I just got past the desert and now my PSP won't recognize my memory card. Stupid piece of crap.

Matchstick
02-27-2008, 07:23 PM
For those who have picked it up already... Did you play the demo and get the bonus item? I'm also wondering if the save from the demo carries over into the main game or if you start over...

Might pick up the game before I leave town this afternoon, but might have to wait till I get back. But... burning type questions!

The save carries over everything you did in the demo into the main game.

reibeatall
02-27-2008, 08:05 PM
My guys got eaten :(

taidan
02-27-2008, 08:08 PM
My demo save carried everything over, but made me play the last demo mission again. Sucks because I went from beating it the first time on the demo to getting eaten several times.

Now I've beaten it though; time to move to fresh content.

djSyndrome
02-27-2008, 09:26 PM
My guys got eaten :(

My guys got flambéed D=

Matchstick
02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
My demo save carried everything over, but made me play the last demo mission again. Sucks because I went from beating it the first time on the demo to getting eaten several times.

Now I've beaten it though; time to move to fresh content.

I had the same problem. I wonder if they lowered the difficulty on that battle
for the demo. I decided to bail and replay it layter rather than have half my army decimated, though. I'm not sure what I need to adjust to not get my ass handed to me the next time. Using the defensive pattern didn't seem to help.

tungwene
02-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Defending makes a much bigger difference in the real version than the demo. If he's got his head up, retreat or you'll be sorry. If his head is touching the ground retreat from the range of his jaws or else he'll eat one of your guys. Just keep defending if you don't know what the hell he's going to do. Your spear and arrow guys will keep hitting it.

Practice keeping your beat and maintaining your guys in fever mode because when you have to cross the desert and get your cavalry it's going to make the difference between life and death. This game has one hell of a steep learning curve.

Jakanden
02-28-2008, 06:13 AM
It took me forever to figure out the problem with getting past the desert.

The only problem I have with the game is that when your fever starts and sometimes during the fever, the Patapon do not repeat your command and instead say something completely different. It tends to throw off my rhythm because I am listening for their 4 beats to start mine. So I start ignoring the cool music in the game so I can keep repeating it in my head.

taidan
02-28-2008, 06:52 AM
It took me forever to figure out the problem with getting past the desert.

The only problem I have with the game is that when your fever starts and sometimes during the fever, the Patapon do not repeat your command and instead say something completely different. It tends to throw off my rhythm because I am listening for their 4 beats to start mine. So I start ignoring the cool music in the game so I can keep repeating it in my head.

I feel that this is going to be the game's major point of contention. Some (including Edge's review of the game) find that fever mode acts screwy and confusing. Save for a few missteps, I have gotten it under control by relying on my natural beat more than the game's audio cues, and have fevered through entire stages. It isn't as much a skill thing, like "who has better rhythm", though I think that would help, but more a matter of training oneself to use the right cues. Aside from your own beat, you can tell when you're dead on the rhythm with any command because the Patapons get louder and sound much richer in tone when they respond to you. Not only is it more satisfying, it lets you know you have found the right groove.

tungwene
02-28-2008, 07:41 AM
I've have this problem with fever if I switch commands when starting fever I always mess up the sequence. I always miss when to start. I've gotten around this problem by inputting the command I want to use during fever, usually attack because I defend or dodge to keep my Kibapons safe, on the ninth combo which puts me in fever mode and the Kibapons start attacking immediately. Once I get the first combo down I keep the tempo of the song in my head and can keep going.

I was afraid the gameplay would get repetitive quickly but I'm pretty impressed. There's lots of hidden things in the game that you can't just find playing the story unless you happen to luckily stumble on them on your first try. You have to explore past areas to find some of them, sometimes they open up without you noticing. I've skipped over one of my mini game Patapons and I need to try to find the guy.

This game is a rhythm game first and foremost. Most rhythm games to clear a stage you can see what notes/buttons you need to push shortly before and you have to think on your feet. In Patapon the cues and buttons take the form of enemies and obstacles and you react by picking the appropriate song to play to get past the obstacles. Sometimes I just have my guys defend in place or attack in place when there's nothing in front of them just to get the combos I need for fever and because I know if I move forward I'll get slaughtered. Sometimes my immediate objective is not to run for the goal post but do something to insure I can stay alive and outlast the situation. And no matter what I'm doing I have to always keep the beat. Thinking about the game in this manner helped me 'get' how to play it though unfortunately by that time it was 3 am and my coordination was completely shot.

Sarcasmorator
02-28-2008, 07:53 AM
I think the fever mode confusion is totally intentional. It's supposed to be hard to keep your little eyeball-men marching to the beat when they're all frenzied.

pence
02-28-2008, 08:02 AM
This game feels old school, which is the nice way to say 'it doesn't really tell you where to go'. For example, I found myself fumbling about with my first JuJu power:

As soon as I picked it up, I went on a hunt to try and make it rain. I couldn't do it, so I decided I must have to complete a mission first. I did the 'crossing the desert' mission, but got burned halfway through the level. A few attempts later, I sheepishly realized I had to 'equip' the rain JuJu before the level began.

Add a lack of any adequate ingame cues about what Rarepons do, how to make them, and which ones will be created by different item combinations (This guy costs twice as much kaching... crap, I got a Pykola-Yumipon...?), and you get a game that is frustrating in a familiar, pleasing way. In other words, I'm surprised I'm enjoying this. :P

Jakanden
02-28-2008, 08:11 AM
I think the fever mode confusion is totally intentional. It's supposed to be hard to keep your little eyeball-men marching to the beat when they're all frenzied.

Perhaps, but it is still annoying as hell.

reibeatall
02-28-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm going to be walking around my apartment singing "Pata Pata Pata Pon" when I go anywhere. When I decide it's time to do anything, then I'll switch it up with a "Pon Pon Pata Pon."

Jakanden
02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
EDIT: Blarg - Nevermind, figured it out.

I am loving the hell out of this game, but I agree with pence. There are some moments of "what now?" as it doesn't tell you a number of things.

taidan
02-28-2008, 09:21 AM

True, and the other half of the challenge is making sure that you, as the leader ,don't get so deep into the beat and the music that you forget to follow the ordeal on screen and dish out the correct orders. The music in a long bout of fever mode can be very trance like.

tungwene
02-28-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm going to be walking around my apartment singing "Pata Pata Pata Pon" when I go anywhere. When I decide it's time to do anything, then I'll switch it up with a "Pon Pon Pata Pon."And sing Pon Pata Pon Pata when you run into someone you don't want to talk to. I should set that as my new Away message.

Matchstick
02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Defending makes a much bigger difference in the real version than the demo. If he's got his head up, retreat or you'll be sorry. If his head is touching the ground retreat from the range of his jaws or else he'll eat one of your guys. Just keep defending if you don't know what the hell he's going to do. Your spear and arrow guys will keep hitting it.

I tried those things. He beat me down even worse than when I just went full on.

tungwene
02-29-2008, 05:22 AM
I tried those things. He beat me down even worse than when I just went full on.Maybe you just need to make yourself some more little guys. Are you keeping the beat? If you have six Yaripons and six Yumipons whaling at him in fever at all times (Yumipons fire three arrows per attack during fever) even if your Tatepons are defending most of time you should have no problem taking him down. The Tatepons work as meat shields in this fight. If he head butts them while they're defending they don't go flying and they'll suffer from the brunt of his flames and act as a protective barrier for your archers who are weak to fire.

Jakanden
02-29-2008, 06:22 AM
I got my ass kicked twice by the worm boss. I spent the bus ride this morning building up my army so I plan to try again at lunch.

reibeatall
02-29-2008, 06:52 AM
1) I notice a lack of weapons in this game. Am I doing something wrong? I've only found a few, and it doesn't seem like you can get any more by going back to the other levels.
2) Fill up your roster with the cheap patapons, or use your items for powerful ones?

tungwene
02-29-2008, 08:07 AM
1) I notice a lack of weapons in this game. Am I doing something wrong? I've only found a few, and it doesn't seem like you can get any more by going back to the other levels.
2) Fill up your roster with the cheap patapons, or use your items for powerful ones?1) You will find more better weapons as you progress through the game. You can find normal weapons as random drops when you defeat Zigatons. However you can't replay those levels. If you replay boss levels they will drop a really nice weapon or rare item when defeated. Go beat up that first two bosses a couple times.
2) I have discovered there is no way to delete units once they've been created (at least as far as I know). I tried to get a few of my guys eaten but the boss also ate two of my rare Tatepons which pissed me off. In other words, this aspect of the game sucks so be careful how you plan your army.
Edit: Never mind, I found it. You have to go into equip weapons and press select to retire them. So yeah go crazy creating the little guys and then delete them when you have more money and rare items.

tungwene
02-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Castle stage spoiler: You can't beat this stage on your first try. You're supposed to lose and then a story event opens up and you get to do a different stage that will help you beat it. You can even start the stage and quite immediately, get the mission failed screen, and it will trigger the next event. Which is stupid.

Jakanden
02-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Which is stupid.

The more I get into this, the more stupid things I come across. This is one of those games that, when it is awesome, it is really awesome. However, when it is stupid, it is "what the fuck?" stupid.

VsRobot
02-29-2008, 09:43 AM
You've got to admire the genius who figured out a way to get grinding into a rhythm game. After Puzzle Quest introduced grinding to Bejeweled, I thought surely grinding for levels/drops had gotten into as many types of games as it ever would.

I was, happily, wrong.

PON PON PATA PON!

djSyndrome
02-29-2008, 09:45 AM
You've got to admire the genius who figured out a way to get grinding into a rhythm game.

Clearly you've never tried to unlock anything in Beatmania IIDX.

tungwene
02-29-2008, 08:42 PM
*#&@ memory card! It already erased my save file once and now it's completely died on me. I'd just kicked the windmill tower missions ass too. Guess I won't be playing anything more for awhile.

djSyndrome
02-29-2008, 09:23 PM
*#&@ memory card! It already erased my save file once and now it's completely died on me. I'd just kicked the windmill tower missions ass too. Guess I won't be playing anything more for awhile.

Out of curiosity, is it one of those neon-colored Sandisk cards? I've had two of those bite the dust over the years.

tungwene
02-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Out of curiosity, is it one of those neon-colored Sandisk cards? I've had two of those bite the dust over the years.Yeah it is. Neon green. I'm going to shop around and do some research online before I get another memory card. Right now I'm more pissed about losing my unbeaten 100+ hour FFT:LW file than anything else. While I've put a lot of hours into Patapon this week, most of it has been trial and error and I think if I restart it again I'll be able to reach the same point in the game I stopped much more quickly.

djSyndrome
02-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah it is. Neon green. I'm going to shop around and do some research online before I get another memory card. Right now I'm more pissed about losing my unbeaten 100+ hour FFT:LW file than anything else. While I've put a lot of hours into Patapon this week, most of it has been trial and error and I think if I restart it again I'll be able to reach the same point in the game I stopped much more quickly.

Both of mine were neon green 1GB units, one bought at the PSP launch that lasted six months, and its replacement that died last spring. After the second one shit itself I switched to a Sony-branded (2GB) stick and haven't had any problems. I've also used Sony-branded sticks in my Cyber-Shots for the last five years and have yet to experience any issues.

After losing some saves early on (including a full clear on Ridge Racers that I've yet to reproduce), I started backing them up to computer every month or so. Haven't needed them since, but the peace of mind is worth it.

VsRobot
02-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Interveiw with the artist behind Patapon's striking visual style. (http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/02/column_jump_button_handheld_ga.php)

One of the things that hasn't, as far as I can see, been discussed too much on TT is the amazing visual style of the game. It reminds me of Loco Roco meets the abstract geometry of Meteos, and I like it. The bosses in particular look AMAZING, and much like the interviewer in the linked article, I find myself wanting to advance in the game to see more of the great creature designs.

So far one of the most striking things I've seen in the game is early on in the game, when I saw some of the cattle-like creatures ahead. I set my little guys to attack, and one of the cattle-like creatures stretched itself out, becoming a giant snail. I can't wait to see what other little touches are in store for me in the game.

CHAKA CHAKA PATA PON

tungwene
03-01-2008, 10:37 AM
After losing some saves early on (including a full clear on Ridge Racers that I've yet to reproduce), I started backing them up to computer every month or so. Haven't needed them since, but the peace of mind is worth it.That is an excellent idea and I feel like kicking myself in the head for not doing that earlier.

shivam
03-01-2008, 10:48 AM
i'd love to have art by rolito hanging on my wall.

O..O~
03-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Um, that fucking totem wont drop the compass so I can get the rain juju. I have hit the trinanglecircletrianglecircle beat countless amount of times and still nothing. What am I doing wrong? Did the compass already drop and did I just not get it, so I am fucked?

Edit: Nevermind, I realized I just can't keep the beat with chaka pon worth a damn. I need to ace it like 10 times and I keep screwing up after hitting it on the right beat once. I am going to get some of my music literate friends to do this part for me, because I totally can't.

pence
03-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I love Megapons. The mechanic for their minefield attack (ponchaka + chakachaka) or their red notes in Fever are really powerful.

Also, I'll admit to using gamefaqs to look up unit stats and min-max my army. I am weak. :[

Daydreamer
03-01-2008, 08:18 PM
GRRRARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

I'm stuck on the desert stage - I have the rain juju and the X-drum, but I can't for the life of me get it to work. 90% of the time I get to fever and fail to go into miracle mode, and the remaining 10% of the time I fail in miracle mode at the pon pon pata pon pon pon pon part. GRRR, so frustrated. Help?

pence
03-01-2008, 09:34 PM
GRRRARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

I'm stuck on the desert stage - I have the rain juju and the X-drum, but I can't for the life of me get it to work. 90% of the time I get to fever and fail to go into miracle mode, and the remaining 10% of the time I fail in miracle mode at the pon pon pata pon pon pon pon part. GRRR, so frustrated. Help?

I seem to remember missing a few of these and still getting the miracle to work, perhaps you could try just hitting the 'pon's when the command is 'pon pon pata pon pon pon pon'?

reibeatall
03-01-2008, 10:17 PM
When I first did that part, I only used the x button. I then realized how retarded I was and used the circle and square. It made it better.

VsRobot
03-01-2008, 10:17 PM
What is a good strategy for not getting eaten? I was defending most of the boss fight, but still lost 4 of my little ax dudes.

pence
03-01-2008, 10:40 PM
When I first did that part, I only used the x button. I then realized how retarded I was and used the circle and square. It made it better.

I had this exact same experience, I didn't realize my mistake until the 'pata' on the last set of notes.

tungwene
03-02-2008, 08:32 AM
GRRRARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

I'm stuck on the desert stage - I have the rain juju and the X-drum, but I can't for the life of me get it to work. 90% of the time I get to fever and fail to go into miracle mode, and the remaining 10% of the time I fail in miracle mode at the pon pon pata pon pon pon pon part. GRRR, so frustrated. Help?Maybe it might help to have your other thumb poised over the square button in anticipation. I thought it was also possible to get it rain if you miss only one of the patterns. I remember screwing up the Tailwind Juju horribly the first time I tried it because there were two short patterns you have to hit the right buttons on immediately but I still got it to work. Also, once you do get it to rain, concentrate on getting fever and staying in fever. It will stop raining in the middle of your crossing and you'll need to use the Juju immediately or your guys will fry. If by chance you kill the snail, pick up it's item drop. The snail, once dead, never comes back again, and you need the cap it drops for one of the mini-games. I accidentally killed it but the cap vanished before I got to it and now it is impossible for me to open up the flower mini-game.

VsRobot
03-02-2008, 11:37 AM
RE: Desert stage

I could not do it. I spent a lot of time hunting and redoing the first two boss fights to build up my guys. (I have some PIMP 'pons, guys. PIMP.) Then, I remembered a miracle of our time: the youtubes.

After watching other folks calling down the rain juju, the timing suddenly clicked. Now I can make it rain on command. The levels after the desert crossing are awesome. The music gets really syncopated, and fever gets a little harder to maintain, but it feels amazing when you can keep Fever going the whole stage.

Now I have an extra character class, but I'm not yet sure when is the best time to use them instead of one of the original three. Any thoughts, dudes?

pence
03-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I accidentally killed it but the cap vanished before I got to it and now it is impossible for me to open up the flower mini-game.

I think it's interesting that I made some of the same mistakes as other posters. First there was hitting 'don' for all the 'pons' in the rain JuJu minigame, and now this.

This is the kind of stuff that would be scrubbed if the game was heavily playtested, but in a way it's cool to see the rough edges.

VsRobot
03-02-2008, 01:49 PM
The game can be frustratingly obtuse (for example, I would have never know how to retire my soldiers if not for the internet, as there is nothing in game to tell you that you can do it) but it's existence at all seems like such an unlikely miracle that I can't stay mad at it.

Traumadore
03-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Have the game, waiting on the PSP to arrive! In the meantime the most interesting thing I have done with the game is reverse the cover. You guys should try it. Trust me, you'll smile.

You can do other things with the game, like look at the UMD, read the manual, try to find who in the credits was responsible for all the typos (Off Base Productions? HA!). So far I am really enjoying this object.

djSyndrome
03-02-2008, 08:00 PM
You guys should try it. Trust me, you'll smile.

Just about all SCEA-published games have reversible covers.

For awhile there, it was the only thing Sony was doing right.

VsRobot
03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I am still loving this game. I tried to play it a bit while I was on a conference call, but I couldn't maintain FEVER while only half-listening. I failed the mission horribly.

I am also falling way behind on my Podcast feeds, because I normally listen while playing videogames that don't have a lot of reading in them. (IE not Phoenix Wright). However, Patapon requires undivided attention. It's a good thing I love it so damn much, because not multi-tasking while playing makes it seem like I'm not using my time to it's fullest potential.

widdershins
03-05-2008, 03:06 PM
LttP, I know, but my wife got this for me recently, and I'm hooked.

It took me a stupid long time to get the rain juju, mostly because I didn't realize there was a delay between my input and the totem doing anything. Once that was figured out, it was cake.

I was really sad about getting sweet resources, but not having space until I figured out I can retire patapons.

Time to murder those little scamps. 'scuse me.

widdershins
03-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I am getting a bit of fatigue early on.

Why is it when I do my chicka chicka, my damn yamipons aren't getting the hell behind the tatepons. Don't they know they'll die first?!

VsRobot
03-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Keep going, you'll seen find a solution for that.

widdershins
03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I was having a lot of trouble with the first two bosses until I figured out my strategy:

I don't bother defending on the fire move... the damage you could be doing is far more worthwhile than the protection it would offer. PLUS, if you're advancing earlier, the dino-guy is far more likely not to come as close to your flagbearer, making it easier to dodge his gobble move with a chika chika or a fever break.

Went from losing all but my archers to losing one or two guys on each runthrough. I'm back in the saddle