PDA

View Full Version : Batman

Guy
07-01-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm reading The Long Halloween for the first time and love it. It doesn't suffer from Year One's single flaw of feeling a bit like a Frank Miller detective story with Batman and Catwoman in it, and the artwork is pretty great even if it took a bit to grow on me. Are any of the other Loeb/Sale Batman stories worth checking out?

Kolbe
07-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Check the sequel, Dark Victory. Is a worthy sequel, though not as surprising as Long Halloween, 'cause it uses the same structure and narrative. But it is good, nontheless. Then there's another, which I haven't read, titled When in Rome, focused on Selina. I don't know how good is it, but you could try it and tell me if it's worth buy it.

I recently bought Arkham Asylum, which I read like 10 years ago for the first time. It is so good.

Kupek
07-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Yes. Dark Victory is good, and Haunted Knight is decent.

Evil Dead Junkie
07-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Even as someone who is more or less comic retarded, the way that that team draws Batman's cape is geektastic.

I've always had the crazy idea that one of the Batman flicks should "animate" the cape using Rod Puppets to get that crazy effect.

Schmidt
07-01-2007, 01:05 PM
If I may so abuse the analogy:

Loeb's Long Halloween, because even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Excitemike
07-01-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm willing to give Long Halloween the benefit of the doubt because it's been given so much praise. But the only Jeph Loeb books I've read were Superman: For All Seasons and Batman: Hush and OH MY GOD they were so bad.

Schmidt
07-01-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm willing to give Long Halloween the benefit of the doubt because it's been given so much praise. But the only Jeph Loeb books I've read were Superman: For All Seasons and Batman: Hush and OH MY GOD they were so bad.
I haven't read For All Seasons, but yeah, my point was basically that Long Halloween was good, but Loeb in general is lame.

I don't actively hate his stuff, he's just so unremarkable. Unfortunately, he keeps getting paired with artists I like, and he's not bad enough that I'll completely ignore him, so my love for Lee won out and I got Hush, my love for McGuinness won out and I got into Superman/Batman, and it looks like my love of The Ultimates will win out and I'll read Ultimates 3.

Excitemike
07-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Unfortunately, he keeps getting paired with artists I like

I hate when artists I like are teamed up with crummy writers. Chris Bachalo has been on X-Men for a few years now and I just can't get into it.

Sorry to hear he's doing the Ultimates. Are they at least keeping Bryan Hitch?

Guy
07-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Hitch is being replaced with Joe Madureira.

Excitemike
07-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Oh, well, unless it's a two-issue series we'll probably never see it then.

Jeanie
07-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Well it did take a year between parts before, so unless it's a one-shot, we'll never see it.

May not see the first part either, who knows with Marvel lately.

Sheana
07-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Yeah, Long Halloween is definitely a good comic! I enjoyed it lots. Says a lot that it's being highly influential with the new Bat-movie series, too.

I've also read Catwoman: When In Rome. I thought it was pretty good. Though it probably features the most hilariously creepy Riddler moment ever.

Calorie Mate
07-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I recently bought Arkham Asylum, which I read like 10 years ago for the first time. It is so good.

Yes.

Daikaiju
07-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I liked Batman Year Two myself. Served as the basis for the Mask Of the Phantasm film.

Kolbe
07-02-2007, 10:55 AM
I didn't like that one that much. It was like "Yeah, he beat me up in our first encounter, so I'll use a gun. Why wait for another humiliation?"

Schmidt
07-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Hitch is being replaced with Joe Madureira.
Out of the frying pan, into the...something slower than a frying pan. I dig both artists, but they're both known for incredible lateness.

I had been telling myself it might be ok. I mean, the last three issues of Ultimates 2 (Hitch/Millar) have taken, what, a year and a half? Madureira/Loeb had been announced on Ultimates 3 long ago, at least before that, so surely they were already well at work, right? Also, McGuinness/Loeb had been announced for Ultimates 4. So more good news/bad news.

Then I just read some interview or news blurb with Loeb saying something like "Oh yeah, we've already got two issues ready!" Two?! You morons should have 6 in the can by now. What a mess.

Plus, I think they sort of retracted their announcement for Ultimates 4, which invites speculation anywhere from the crazy rumors that World War Hulk will actually destroy 616 and establish the Ultimate universe as the new "default" Marvel continuity to the idea that the Ultimate titles will simply be phased out because none of them are really selling well.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs, but Ultimates 1, or whatever we're calling the first twelve issues, is still a fantastic book. Ultimates 2, finally complete, is also a solid title, if a bit less inspiring.

Excitemike
07-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Did they ever finish that Hulk vs. Wolverine mini-series?

That World War Hulk rumor is awesome. That would fix everything.

You know what would be an awesome rumor? Hulk kills everybody, and Marvel makes new super-heroes instead of the ones they've been rehashing since the sixties.

Schmidt
07-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Did they ever finish that Hulk vs. Wolverine mini-series?
No. No idea if they ever will.

That World War Hulk rumor is awesome. That would fix everything.
It would be a great story, but it would ruin everything to come.

You know what would be an awesome rumor? Hulk kills everybody, and Marvel makes new super-heroes instead of the ones they've been rehashing since the sixties.
Also a great idea, and it could actually work artistically, but it would never happen. Marvel likes money, and how can you make money without Wolverine?!?! (their line of thought, not mine, though it's not wholly insane either)

Sheana
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Screw Wolverine, if they ever killed Nightcrawler or Spider-Man I'd be goddamned pissed off.

Deadguy2322
07-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Well it did take a year between parts before, so unless it's a one-shot, we'll never see it.

May not see the first part either, who knows with Marvel lately.

Man, what the hell has happened to the comics industry?

I quit seriously collecting in the early 1990s, just when Image was beginning the systematic annhilation of comic quality, and I remember the outcry when Wetworks was taking 6 months between issues. How can anybody even bother buying a miniseries if you never know if it will be finished?

I am glad that I made the decision to only buy trades anymore. At least I get a full story without waiting years between pieces.

Somewhat on-topic: Have there been any notable Elseworlds Batman books in the last 2-3 years? I have been a Batman fan since I was a tiny kid, and the Elseworlds books are my absolute favorites.

Kolbe
07-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Agreed. The american comic industry is a lot of crap. The best ones came out in the 80's, early 90's with some jewels later like Long Halloween.

And yes, TPBs is the best way to read them. Not only you got the whole story in one single volume (sometimes 2 or 3, but even so), but you get no ads at all.

Schmidt
07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Somewhat on-topic: Have there been any notable Elseworlds Batman books in the last 2-3 years? I have been a Batman fan since I was a tiny kid, and the Elseworlds books are my absolute favorites.
Last I heard, "Elseworlds" books didn't exist any more, at least not by that name. Matt Wagner's Batman books are great though (Batman and The Monster Men, Batman and the Mad Monk, and his Batman/Wonderwoman/Superman book Trinity). They're not really Elseworld-ish, just great Bat books not mired with current continuity.

Jeanie
07-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Last I heard, "Elseworlds" books didn't exist any more, at least not by that name. Matt Wagner's Batman books are great though (Batman and The Monster Men, Batman and the Mad Monk, and his Batman/Wonderwoman/Superman book Trinity). They're not really Elseworld-ish, just great Bat books not mired with current continuity.

ehhh... yeah the "Elseworld" name is pretty much dead now that DC brought back the multiverse. Most of the stories told are now an Earth, IE. the Kingdom Come series is Earth-22

estragon
07-06-2007, 03:40 PM
when Image was beginning the systematic annhilation of comic quality

While I mostly agree with this (see: Gen-13 . . . which I admittedly liked at the time, but I was in middle school), the existence of Image probably did help creators to get a little more control in the long run.

Also, I really liked The Maxx.

And Warren Ellis' run on Stormwatch managed to be one of the best superhero stories ever while simultaneously inspiring me to quit reading all the other super schlock that was out there. It was amazing.

Excitemike
07-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Todd McFarlane is history's greatest monster.

Guy
07-06-2007, 05:05 PM
I bought Todd McFarlane's "Torment" Spider-man miniseries at Dragon*Con, once. The writing was hilariously bad.

Guy
07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
I was watching this (amazing) spanish Arkham Asylum fan-film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-7W3be8XtQ), and I ask you: Is the graphic novel as awesome and freaky as this makes it look?

Also, I bought the Danny Elfman Batman soundtrack. Looooove.

sraymonds
07-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I thought Rob Liefeld would have been the industry's greatest monster.