PDA

View Full Version : Git 'R Done . . . ?

estragon
07-01-2007, 01:11 PM
So, why is that phrase a joke? I seriously don't get it. Can anyone explain the context of this to me? I 100% do not understand how it is supposed to be funny.

What is the true meaning of "gitting 'r done?"

Kishi
07-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Base-minded folks tend to find intrinsic comedy in the imitation of redneck stereotypes.

estragon
07-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Base-minded folks tend to find intrinsic comedy in the imitation of redneck stereotypes.

Okay, I get the people who are making fun of people who talk like this, but what about the people who say this seriously and think they're making a joke? That's what I don't get. I made a trip back to Kansas for the last 2 weeks or so, and I can't get over the fact that people say this because they think it's seriously funny. They're not doing it to mock hicks either, because that's exactly what most of the people who say this are. (I say this as a native Kansan.) If they wanted to mock someone it would definitely be queers or the French or something.

So, I ask again, why is this a joke?

alexb
07-01-2007, 01:23 PM
It's a catchphrase that reminds them of Larry the Cable Guy, which makes them think about all the jokes he's told them that make them laugh. It's also a kind of secret handshake.

Kishi
07-01-2007, 01:25 PM
"Base-minded folks" includes rednecks themselves. You could say they're celebrating their own archetype.

Also, the sheer sound of the phrase has a certain catchiness that lends itself to repeated use.

nadia
07-01-2007, 01:33 PM
It's sort of like what "JESUS CHRIST, IT'S A LION" is to 4channers.

Jakanden
07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
http://roflcat.com/images/cats/270909738_db91ccd992.jpg

JohnB
07-01-2007, 04:08 PM
That is for all time the best LOLCAT ever made.

...the internet can stop with them now.

...and I own two cats!

...their names are Sophie and Muffler (yes.)

...is this enough exposition now?

Guy
07-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Every time I hear that phrase, I want to punch the speaker in the face. This Blue Collar Comedy shit needs to die, fast.

Squall
07-01-2007, 04:18 PM
So, why is that phrase a joke? I seriously don't get it. Can anyone explain the context of this to me? I 100% do not understand how it is supposed to be funny.

What is the true meaning of "gitting 'r done?"

Move to Arkansas for a few years. You might not ever 100% understand it, and I"m sure you'll never find it funny, but it will at least start to make sense.

alexb
07-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Or, to save time and money, simply ingest a near fatal amount of corn alcohol. Either way, prepare to be enlightened.

estragon
07-01-2007, 04:53 PM
simply ingest a near fatal amount of corn alcohol

Funny story(?): I actually already did that a couple years ago. Unfortunately, it taught me nothing except never to do that again.