PDA

View Full Version : FC 18: SUMABURA! (Smash Bros. Brawl)

Pages : [1] 2

Parish
03-08-2008, 12:32 PM
It was nice of Nintendo to release this game right before I head out of town for ten days and won't have to watch the early furor. Thanks, Nintendo!

Smash Bros. Brawl
Nintendo | Wii | Action (or fighting LAWL) | 2008

Anyone who bitches about spoilers gets permabanned.

Mr. Sensible
03-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Anyone who bitches about spoilers gets permabanned.

The idea of spoilers in a game like this, to me, is so very laughable.

THERE IS NO STORY TO SPOIL. This is Nintendo reveling in their success and we will happily lap it up. End of "story." SHUT UP.

Sorry, I'm just getting a little antsy waiting for midnight to roll around.

PS: Ironically enough, this post was technically still bitching about spoilers. OH SHI-

Phat
03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
No midnight openings in my town. What the hell is up with that, right?

SamuelMarston
03-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Midnight. Opening.

Mr. Sensible
03-08-2008, 12:42 PM
No midnight openings in my town. What the hell is up with that, right?

I was pretty suprised the local 'Stop was doing it for SSBB. The only other game I know of that merited such an arrangement was Halo 3. I'm pretty damn sure they couldn't have gotten that many preorders for Brawl 'round these here parts.

Eusis
03-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Midnight Opening here too, I'm going to take part in that tournament thing. I hear they're forcing Wii Remotes on everyone which... Well, that evens it out so I'm not as screwed for being unable to find SSBM.

Mr. Sensible
03-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Midnight Opening here too, I'm going to take part in that tournament thing. I hear they're forcing Wii Remotes on everyone which... Well, that evens it out so I'm not as screwed for being unable to find SSBM.

Wait, you mean they're hosting a Brawl tourney tonight? That seems a little unfair. Like, how the hell are you supposed to be familiar with it unless you imported the game? I mean, sure, some Melee experience would undoubtedly help, but still...

Torgo
03-08-2008, 12:57 PM
There is one midnight opening on island, but I'm passing on it in favor of not losing sleep for work tomorrow.

So I guess I fail as a gamer, but tomorrow is going to be one of the busiest days of the season at my job, so I'll live with it.

Mr. Sensible
03-08-2008, 01:00 PM
So I guess I fail as a gamer,

Perhaps, but you've succeeded as a well-rounded individual.

Don't worry, we'll all still be plugged in by the time you show up.

Out of curiosity, why will tomorrow be so busy for you?

Torgo
03-08-2008, 01:08 PM
It's a specific sale the chain I work for (Longs Drugs) runs about once every month or month and a half, and the business it brings in is insane. Considering St. Patrick's Day and Easter are coming in the next couple of weeks (and all the appropriate things you need for them in-stock!), I expect it to be even busier then usual.

Dynastic Bird
03-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Mine was ordered on Amazon, so I'm getting it on Monday. Still, I've had some experience from the Best Buy tournament and a (pirated) Japanese copy.

Let's just say the new physics can REALLY screw you up. Oh, and Ice Climbers are still awesome ^_^! And Tingle is really, really cheap with his ability to summon 20 or so hammers...

djSyndrome
03-08-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm picking it up at Midnight so the kids can play it first thing in the morning.

I might sneak in a game or two tonight, though.

Mr. Sensible
03-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm picking it up at Midnight so the kids can play it first thing in the morning.

I might sneak in a game or two tonight, though.

Remind your kids how Christmas in March affords you some leeway when Giftmas/their birthday rears its costly little head. Seriously, I'd have given up birthdays if my parents had just bought me one or two games a year that I really wanted when they were released.

Octopus Prime
03-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Looking at the character roster, looks like I can finally set up a proper All-Villain mode.

That's nice.

Eusis
03-09-2008, 03:12 AM
So, uhhh, anyone planning to play some matches tonight?

Alixsar
03-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Guys. GUYS. This just in.

Pit is incredibly good.

Just thought you should know. Back to playing.

poetfox
03-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Okay, so, seriously, this is incredibly important.
How do I pick what Pokemon Pokemon Trainer starts with? I can't do jack shit with Squirtle. I MUST start with Ivysaur! I thought a method had been mentioned on the Smash Brothers site, but I can't find it now.
Also, my brother is quickly getting deadly good with Dedede and Olimar.

Schmidt
03-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I like Diddy Kong.

Jeanie
03-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I like Diddy Kong.

You MONSTER!

spineshark
03-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Remind your kids how Christmas in March affords you some leeway when Giftmas/their birthday rears its costly little head. Seriously, I'd have given up birthdays if my parents had just bought me one or two games a year that I really wanted when they were released.
I find this such a brilliant point.

My brother got the game last night, but since he lives a state over, I don't really know what it's like.

I do know that seeing the Wind Waker level has made me absolutely certain that Smash Bros is still it.

reibeatall
03-09-2008, 11:04 AM
MetaKnight 4 lyfe

BEAT
03-09-2008, 11:15 AM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_J8rB91voDJ4/RZ8PPTkg4sI/AAAAAAAAAHY/WX0w6dMCyoc/s320/ike-pin.jpg
By playing subspace, I've unlocked Marth and Falco. I've also brawled enough to get Ness.

Tomm Guycot
03-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Been playing as Pit exclusively.

Unlocked Ness and Falcon so far.

Schmidt
03-09-2008, 11:45 AM
I did a bunch of one life rounds on easy to get Snake as quickly as possible.

reibeatall
03-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I don't like SSE. I wish I could just play as Sonic from the start of the game.

Loki
03-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Damn Metaknight is fierce. Aside from a lack of range he has it all. Speed, power, great recovery abilities. What a powerhouse.

I like pit but the lack of a up+b that damages hurts his potential in my eyes.

Eusis
03-09-2008, 01:46 PM
How do I pick what Pokemon Pokemon Trainer starts with? I can't do jack shit with Squirtle. I MUST start with Ivysaur! I thought a method had been mentioned on the Smash Brothers site, but I can't find it now.
Also, my brother is quickly getting deadly good with Dedede and Olimar.
Holding/pressing the B button at some time? I forget, I think it's mentioned on the official site though.

Edit: OH HEY, HOW ABOUT WHO I'VE UNLOCKED? I unlocked Ness and Marth through brawling.

Tomm Guycot
03-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Marth Luigi Snake

reibeatall
03-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Snake, Ness, Marth, Luigi, C.Falcon. Maybe more.

Odin
03-09-2008, 03:04 PM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_J8rB91voDJ4/RZ8PPTkg4sI/AAAAAAAAAHY/WX0w6dMCyoc/s320/ike-pin.jpg

My thoughts exactly. I actually picked up Path of Radiance and slogged through it (first FE I've actually stuck through to the end) because Ike was so cool in Brawl. Now I wish his Up+B regained health and halved defense like it does in Radiance. :(

I unlocked everyone a few weeks ago (living in Japan) but I'll share your tears and joy as everyone here enjoys the pure, unadulterated FUN of Smash.

Octopus Prime
03-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Is there any way to configure the controls so the D-Pad on the Classic Controller moves instead of Taunts? I'm not used to using that Analogue Stick. It... frightens me.

Also: I've unlocked the good Captain. And Zero-Suit Samus stuck with me for the entirity of Classic Mode. I thought it would have reset after each match.

Lumber Baron
03-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Last night at my friends we had two Wiis going, one for playing, and the other for flower/stamina/CPU with 1HP so we could unlock every character by just pressing Start a lot. Only a couple of hours before every character was unlocked.

Knight
03-09-2008, 04:14 PM
My plans to just play a bunch of SSE last night fell through when my roommates learned what I had just come home ith, so we just played a bunch of quick matches. Unlocked Ness, Luigi, Marth, and Snake. I'm really liking Pokemon Trainer, Snake, and Ike. Ike's Up+B is just so cool and satisfying to do.

Tomm Guycot
03-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Anyone else suddenly getting online errors where there weren't any before?

reibeatall
03-09-2008, 06:28 PM
I can't connect to the WFC.

loosely related
03-09-2008, 06:28 PM
After playing 6.5 hours straight of smash (!!) with 3 people over, I can't believe how much better Brawl is. Ike is the most surprisingly fun character, every match had at least 1-2 Ike players in it. He is a powerhouse with all those A-smash moves and his final smash is almost a guarenteed KO. I like playing as King Dedede but haven't really gotten used to him yet, his attacks are pretty slow. Pit is insane with all his powerful moves yet he still has some speed and an endless jump. That side-B spin can keep someone trapped for a long time.
I just wish Sonic didn't take 300 matches/beating the whole SSE to be unlocked.

JCDenton
03-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm sure Nintendo was not prepared for the sudden onslaught of people trying to play online.

Now if only my friend's copy would arrive and my assloads of work would magically disappear....

Tomm Guycot
03-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm sure the NOA servers are the problem.

I just don't understand it.

They know how many preorders they had.

They wanted Brawl to be the game that got Wii owners online.

...how can you not be ready when all the preorder customers try to get online?

Octopus Prime
03-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Which is exactly why I decided not to even bother with the Wi-Fi for about a week or two. If Microsoft couldn't handle the server stress after Christmas, there's no way in heck that Nintendo can after a release like Brawl.

I'm also kind of impressed how SSE can delivery its story without a single spoken word.

Schmidt
03-09-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm sure the NOA servers are the problem.

I just don't understand it.

They know how many preorders they had.

They wanted Brawl to be the game that got Wii owners online.

...how can you not be ready when all the preorder customers try to get online?

Have you never seen an online debut for anything ever? No one, no one, no matter the experience of everyone else around them that they could be learning from, ever has a smooth entrance into the whole online gaming thing. It's nearly 100% for MMORPGs, but it's also typical of pretty much every other online service or pretty much anything that needs to go through some officially maintained servers.

reibeatall
03-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Well, I connected just fine this time.

cortbassist89
03-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Which is exactly why I decided not to even bother with the Wi-Fi for about a week or two. If Microsoft couldn't handle the server stress after Christmas, there's no way in heck that Nintendo can after a release like Brawl.

I'm also kind of impressed how SSE can delivery its story without a single spoken word.

QFT

BEAT
03-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Having just thrown down hardcore with 4 friends in 4 different states, I have a few simple observations

As none of us had even tried to get our Wiis online before smash, the inital Aim tag of wii codes and friend codes was a nightmare.
There was notable lag, but it always cleared up quickly, and was never actually a problem.
Ike is harder than hardcore.
Pit is a jerk.
You can set your own taunts! My 4 are currently "Outrage!" "Bad Words!" "Richard Crabgrass!" and "Other." A shiny penny to whoever is immediately able to discern the wicked true meaning of Richard Crabgrass.
A side note to that: I abuse taunts well beyond the point of being annoying. I'm the worst kind of D-pad abusing jackass.

Also, does anybody know if online brawls contribute towards your brawl total, which unlocks stuff? I'm kind of hoping they do.

Ilchymis
03-09-2008, 09:37 PM
For those looking for this game, check out your local Costco. Mine had an enormous amount of copies at $43 a piece. Heads up for the lazy cheapskates!

Tomm Guycot
03-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Every match I've been in online has been riddled with lag.

It's ranged from "nigh unplayable" to "everything I do has a one second delay"

It's infuriating. You're supposed to do this to the haters Nintendo, not your loving fans!

Zef
03-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Oh my God, people. This is the most chaotic game I've ever played (including the Marvel Vs Capcom ones) and I almost never stopped laughing. I don't know HOW I'll be able to play single-player, playing with friends is so very incredibly fun. Pointing out the character, music, stages, and other obscure videogame trivia to said friends, also fun.

Played offline on a friend's profile, and between the three of us we unlocked Ness, Luigi, Luigi's Mansion, the Tails trophy, and something I don't know what after beating CPU-controlled Captain Falcon on "Nasty" (level 9) difficulty. Although I kept my character on Random most of the time, I fell into a pretty sweet groove with Powersuit Samus, Ike, and Meta Knight (whereas my friends stuck to Pit, Kirby, Meta Knight, and the occasional Luigi.) For my very first Smash Bros. game, I thought I did pretty well: I racked up over 80 stars (what are those for, anyway?) at least till we decided to check out the Special Brawl options and it reset the scores. Boo.

Aaargh I just realized I have to re-unlock that stuff in my own profile.

A final note: Nintendo is OH SO VERY STUPID not letting voice chat in the game. Offline multiplayer is SO VERY FUN because you can hear everyone else right there with you. At least I have Skype for brawling with you people later this week. :D

Tomm Guycot
03-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Re: CalorieMate's Sunday Night 4-stock

Finally! A lag-free game.

NOW do you fools know why I was so intent on being lag free? Bahahaha!

Don't you want the Smash Balls? You're barely trying for them.

estragon
03-10-2008, 02:23 AM
I can't connect to the WFC.

This happened in Japan too a couple right after release. It got much better after a coule of days and has been great since. They're probably working on it.

mopinks
03-10-2008, 03:54 AM

you just click on the one you want to use on the character select screen after you pick Pokemon Trainer. ez!

I only used him once, and it ended in terrible failure. the girlfriend's Kirby-fu is strong.

Schmidt
03-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Having just thrown down hardcore with 4 friends in 4 different states, I have a few simple observations

As none of us had even tried to get our Wiis online before smash, the inital Aim tag of wii codes and friend codes was a nightmare.
There was notable lag, but it always cleared up quickly, and was never actually a problem.
Ike is harder than hardcore.
Pit is a jerk.
You can set your own taunts! My 4 are currently "Outrage!" "Bad Words!" "Richard Crabgrass!" and "Other." A shiny penny to whoever is immediately able to discern the wicked true meaning of Richard Crabgrass.
A side note to that: I abuse taunts well beyond the point of being annoying. I'm the worst kind of D-pad abusing jackass.

Also, does anybody know if online brawls contribute towards your brawl total, which unlocks stuff? I'm kind of hoping they do.

Dickweed, obviously.

SlimJimm
03-10-2008, 06:09 AM
There are so many good characters its unbelievable. Im really having a hard to to stick to just one or two, and I like that.

The only thing I hate is that the CPUs are totally unfair in a 4 player Free for All. The computers will blatantly ignore each other in an effort to gang up on your sorry ass. I tried playing with 3 level 6s and they all practically chase me from one of the stage to the other without hardly even hitting each other.

Mr. Sensible
03-10-2008, 07:34 AM
So, Metaknight: too awesome, or not too awesome enough?

Brickroad
03-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Wolf is my BOY.

I like that the cast is big and varied enough that they can reasonably say "okay, for this new character we'll do something TOTALLY OUTLANDISHLY WACKY HOLY GOD THAT IS CRAZY!" and have it work out fine, but also say "okay for this new character we'll take an existing successful moveset and tweak it here and here and here and have a totally different experience."

I almost (almost!) wish there were "slightly tweaked" versions of some of the other characters. I love Snake and Dedede but my brain just isn't wired to use them. I might force myself to learn Dedede anyway, if only to justify having a taunt that says "IT'S HAMMER TIME!"

Boss Rush Mode is super great, and I like how All-Star Mode groups characters up by game. It's not like Melee where you just grab a heart whenever you get over 100%; you have to make some important judgement calls. (I'm at 60% now and maybe wasting that last heart is bad, but I'm not sure I can survive the next round against all six Pokemon without it.)

I can never, ever use Olimar. Ever. But my fervent hope is that someone around here can, and tells me everything about him because he is a super interesting character and I would love to learn the strategy behind using him properly.

TheSL
03-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Anyone have some suggestions for playing as Snake? I've only played a couple rounds so far, but my smash-heavy style is clashing with his forward smash aiming directly at his feet.

Zef
03-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Guys I need a stage where Bunny Ears + Mega-size doesn't end up with half of us walking off the stage to our doom, but isn't as claustrophobic as Shadow Moses.

Brickroad
03-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Guys I need a stage where Bunny Ears + Mega-size doesn't end up with half of us walking off the stage to our doom, but isn't as claustrophobic as Shadow Moses.

The level editor is there for you.

Tomm Guycot
03-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Anyone have some suggestions for playing as Snake? I've only played a couple rounds so far, but my smash-heavy style is clashing with his forward smash aiming directly at his feet.

Use his up smash instead.

trust me.

TheSL
03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Speaking of up-smashes, Lucas' one is about the only thing I like more about him than Ness.

Excitemike
03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
I like that the cast is big and varied enough that they can reasonably say "okay, for this new character we'll do something TOTALLY OUTLANDISHLY WACKY HOLY GOD THAT IS CRAZY!" and have it work out fine, but also say "okay for this new character we'll take an existing successful moveset and tweak it here and here and here and have a totally different experience."

That reminds me, Brawl is SFIII. Discuss.

Lakupo
03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I think it's kind of amazing how many of the new characters are different from usual template (You know, up+b recovery, side+b projectile, etc. You know, Mario, Samus, Link, etc.) they've put in that still manage to work well. I think it's one of Smash's greatest assets, a simple control scheme that plays out differently for each character.

Perfect example: I just unlocked Snake, and he definitely takes getting used to. I love the up smash, especially because it can go up and come back down and still hit something. Claymore planting with down smash is a bit more iffy, but at least it's automatic, C4 takes too much concentration. Stopping to control the missle is a bit of shift from shooting missles with Samus like I'm used to, and I don't have the timing for the grenades right. He's different, but I like him!

I know everyone loves Meta-Knight, but I find him just way too much of a lightweight. Maybe it's just the computer wailing on me, but he gets launched too easily.

Olimar... I think he's more powerful than he looks. I'm not sure how to describe how to use him, since I think he's relatively straightforward. Actually, I think he's powerful to make up for the lack moves, half are devoted to pikmin management (plucking and gathering), and then the usual recovery (which does do damage, which is important to note!), so you've got smashes which throw pikmin, and side special that throws pikmin. Keep plucking pikmin occasionally, and I don't think you can go wrong.

Oh, and I definitely like Lucas more than Ness. PK Freeze is way easier to use than PK Flash (which I could never pull off effectively), and his PK Lightning arc is tighter. But I still pick Ness now and then for his hilarious crazy emo goth black Mr. Saturn shirt and purple hat.

JCDenton
03-10-2008, 09:42 AM

I don't think so, there are too many returning characters and the mechanics haven't been significantly altered as they were in SFIII.

Brickroad
03-10-2008, 09:53 AM

I thought all the "omgwacky" characters in SF3 were pretty stupid actually. Except maybe Oro.

HEEEEEEY are you trying to bait me into another one of those discussions? Fat chance, buddy! This is FUN Club, not ARGUEWITHTOMM Club. =)

character templates

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's especially visible with Sonic and Snake, who both do a lot of blurring between "normal" and "special" attacks.

Meta-Knight

I don't think he's for me. Pit either. They're both great but... nah. Not my style. I'll probably stick with Team Star Fox in the end.

Olimar

This is what I'm talking about. Just reading up on him at the Smash Wiki... there's some really deep stuff going on under the hood. It will take an amazing amount of skill to play Pikmin and Brawl at the same time, which is basically what using the character is asking you to do. I'm curious to see what a high-level Olimar game looks like.

Lucas > Ness

Yep, I'm feeling this too! I said above that I liked a lot of the tweaked/clone characters, and Lucas is pretty much the Ness I've been wanting to play since the original SSB. Good show!

Sven
03-10-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't think so, there are too many returning characters and the mechanics haven't been significantly altered as they were in SFIII.

That was pretty much going to by my response. SFIII was supposed to be a deliberate break away from the SFII-era cast of characters; it would be the equivalent of SSBB having all new characters save Mario and Fox.

ScrambledGregs
03-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Is it just me, or are certain characters stupidly overpowered in this game?? Maybe I was just playing against some of you folks who kick ass at Smash Brothers, but I couldn't help but notice that Sonic, Snake, and Ike are all fuckin' hardcore. Their Final Smashes alone are reeeee-dick-you-lush.

I am having a great time losing!!

I unlocked all the characters and stages by doing the Stamina/Flower/High Speed thing, and whatever other Events needed to get them all.

Who was I playing the one time last night where I got trapped between two of those bumper things?? I loved how you two just stopped and watched me get flung back and forth for like 20 seconds.

Also: even though we can't play them online, you can make some ridiculous stages with the Builder mode. I've got one that has one medium sized platform suspended above a bed of spring launchers. It pretty much means that every match ends in sudden death because you're always fighting while bouncing up and down.

BEAT
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I don't really like Pit or Metaknight. Blasphemy, I know, but I just can't get used to their moves. Plus, Metaknight's rage is nil. Ike, on the other hand, is my new best friend.

I'm about 39 percent done with subspace. I plan on rushing through the rest of it today.

I also unlocked Luigi the easy way: one quick run through classic mode.

widdershins
03-10-2008, 10:24 AM

My wife picked Brawl up yesterday while I was at work, and she played a bit, and found the silent treatment offputting, though admittedly, she had only played the first couple of chapters.

When I got home, we decided to do a bit of co-op (by the way, is there any way to input a name for the second player when you continue a save?) and it really depends on the characters. Mario and Kirby's "acting" wasn't great, but the Diddy/Fox bits as well as the Mother/Pokemon bits were fantastic.

We played up until the teaser with Snake's box, and I've only unlocked Marth so far... will continue tonight, hopefully.

Lakupo
03-10-2008, 10:24 AM
When you consider that some characters merely get to fly around for their final smash, and Peach summons peaches (and puts some foes to sleep), Ike and Marth have ridiculously overpowered final smashes. I almost want to say broken!

While Meta-Knight eludes me, Pit is totally awesome. I'm also learning to control his arrows, which is a nice touch. but side+B forever, baby!

Tomm Guycot
03-10-2008, 10:36 AM
The Fire Emblem final smashes aren't broken because you can just jump over 'em.

And they can send you off a stage or two.

Brickroad
03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
As much as I love Wolf (and I do love him) I feel kinda bad that I adopted a newcomer who is essentially a clone.

I will rectify this by playing with ROB as much as possible. BEEEEEP.

SlimJimm
03-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Ive found that if you beat up one player a lot in Free for All and if they die enough they sometimes spawn back with a Final Smash ready to go.

Metaknight/Pit are solid characters, but I like people with the simple double jump + upB recovery move. I cant handle gliding or PK thundering.

So I havent played online yet, who do all the kiddies pick to play as? Im sure Fox is no where near as popular as he once was.

JCDenton
03-10-2008, 10:59 AM
As much as I love Wolf (and I do love him) I feel kinda bad that I adopted a newcomer who is essentially a clone.

Don't feel badly, I played Ganondorf, Falco and Pichu over their counterparts in Melee.

Ive found that if you beat up one player a lot in Free for All and if they die enough they sometimes spawn back with a Final Smash ready to go.

I think Sakurai called that the Pity Smash.

Godammit I want to play this.

tungwene
03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I like Meta-Knight but his attacks when they hit don't do all that much damage in my opinion. I'm a little disappointed in Pit. At first I thought I was going to love him but the only attack of his I've gotten to do any damage with is the sword spinning thing.

I'm still sticking mostly to Kirby and Pikachu until I can finally unlock Jigglypuff.

Brickroad
03-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm a little disappointed in Pit. At first I thought I was going to love him but the only attack of his I've gotten to do any damage with is the sword spinning thing.

Pit is a really cruel joke by Nintendo. Cute kid with wings and great long range attacks? Easy-to-do move that can be held down indefinitely? I foresee lots of people getting really frustrated by trying to spinny-spam everyone and having it not really work for them.

I played my buddy online and he used Pit almost exclusively, trying to spinny-spam me all over the place. Problem is it racks up a lot of damage but doesn't knock back. Even when he managed to trap me in it, it wasn't doing him any good.

I remember thinking the exact same thing of Pikachu. "Hey! It's the character every six year old in the world will want to use! How mean is it that they also made him one of the harder characters to play effectively?"

Alixsar
03-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Am I the only one who's really upset that they kept the whole "Falco is from Da Bronx" thing alive? I was kind of hoping that they'd leave that in Star Fox Assault and never revisit it. And I guess it makes sense that Marth still has his Japanese voice, but it seems weird that they redid everyone else in English and not him.

Also, Meta Knight sucks. Well, he's awesome, except for one thing that completely ruins it. His B attacks suck. His B attack is good, but his Up + B attack is incredibly awkward to use. And his Side + B attack will sometimes leave him vulnerable after he does it. And his teleport is pretty awful. His basic attacks are really nice, but almost all of his B attacks just ruin it for me.

Morbid Coffee
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
I've finally had some time to play with all of the characters and stages after spending all day yesterday unlocking everything. A few impressions of mine:

Link- Having played him constantly in Melee, I kind of have mixed feelings about how they tweaked him for Brawl. He seems a bit powerful, but his hookshot is shorter. I may only be griping about it because I always grab-spammed people with Link...but either way. But it's nothing that will stop me from playing as him from time to time.

Metaknight- I'm going to have to jump on the hate bandwagon. Metaknight does kind of suck. Everyone else pretty much covered why.

Snake- Still trying to learn how he plays, but with the time I spent with him, I'm having a blast. I'm just wishing he had more than one taunt though.

Also, when he picks up food items, he either says "NOM!" or "Mmm, tasty!" Main fighter get!

Sonic- I'm having a strong feeling that Sonic is going to be the Fox of Brawl. Everything about him just seems kind of unbalanced. Amazing recovery game, speed, ability to combo extremely well.

The only drawback is that he's kind of difficult to control. I'll give the game a few weeks before every online match is between four Sonics, no items, Final Destination.

Wario Ware Inc Stage- This is possibly one of my favorite stages out of all the Smash Bros series. As if everyone chasing after a Smash Ball didn't give enough reason to stop fighting for a few seconds, it's great to see everyone just stop what they're currently doing to play the mini game. Even greater to see somebody screw someone else up (which happened in one of our online games. I forgot who I was playing with, but I know during the "don't move" game, one of you attacked another player at the last second, screwing up both the attacker and victim.)

Mario Bros. Stage- The arcade classic one, not the Mushroomy Kingdom. I really dislike this stage. Not because of the enemies that are constantly roaming the level, but because the camera is just pulled too far away from the fight. Add on the fact I have a standard TV, and it's nothing but fustration. At least 75m has the decency to zoom in when everyone is close.

I also managed to get one game of online "With Anybody" to work. It was against a Fox player who insisted we play no-items on Final Destination. I don't like "With Anyone" already.

Brickroad
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I also managed to get one game of online "With Anybody" to work. It was against a Fox player who insisted we play no-items on Final Destination. I don't like "With Anyone" already.

Well duh. What were you expecting? =)

All my online matches were smooth as silk, but I've only played against one of my friends so far. I also completely rocked him in every match, except one where his girlfriend won because she cooked me in a Wario Stew.

Jeanie
03-10-2008, 01:22 PM
My thoughts:

Pit: He's an interesting character. I liked him SSE because of his foot speed and jumping ability. His special attacks aren't very good though, well more like just his B-side one really. Good for Max combos in training mode though... Anyway, his A button moves are really good though, my personal favs are the Up and Up-smash ones.

Link: He was my main in both of the others and I think I'm pretty good with him. So the tweaks to him here make me a little sad. He's a little too heavy I think.

MetaKnight: yeah I don't like his special attacks, he's ok other wise, not a character I'm gonna use.

Kirby's B-side Hammer is awesome.

ZS Samus: I think I like her better than normal. Her speed is perfect for me and she combos pretty nicely. Her Specials all stink really but otherwise I like her a lot.

BEAT
03-10-2008, 01:28 PM

Don't worry man. We're here for you.

SlimJimm
03-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I dont hate Metaknight, I just wish I could glide better.

And just because he seems ignored, Wario is a pretty decent character, but personally I dont like the Final Smash as much as some of the other people. But hes definitely a solid choice.

poetfox
03-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Wario Ware Inc Stage- This is possibly one of my favorite stages out of all the Smash Bros series. As if everyone chasing after a Smash Ball didn't give enough reason to stop fighting for a few seconds, it's great to see everyone just stop what they're currently doing to play the mini game. Even greater to see somebody screw someone else up (which happened in one of our online games. I forgot who I was playing with, but I know during the "don't move" game, one of you attacked another player at the last second, screwing up both the attacker and victim.)
That was me and Rei. Rei had stopped on top of a bumper, and just couldn't resist. It was a completely awesome moment, I agree. This game is just amazing at creating those moments.
you just click on the one you want to use on the character select screen after you pick Pokemon Trainer. ez!
Seriously? Kickass. Thanks.

Lakupo
03-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Okay, I put in a ton of time with Snake, and what he needs for decent play is a light touch. He has so many distinct and different moves compacted into only a few buttons (Smash's blessing and curse), and in the rush of battle it's hard to make sure you're getting a tilt instead of a tap. Up+Attack is a great launcher, but making sure it's a tilt is tough. Fortunately, Up+Smash is excellent too. It would figure that Snake's best attacks launch up, considering Shadow Moses is mostly a verticle stage.

Oh, and planting a large claymore on a high traffic platform while everyone else is distracted is lots of fun. :D Still can't use C4 effectively, but grenades can be handy.

Tomm Guycot
03-10-2008, 03:16 PM
it's hard to make sure you're getting a tilt instead of a tap.

Turn "Up=Jump" OFF in the control menu.

Hold up and press A.

You're welcome.

locit
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm digging Sonic, he super fast and doesn't really have a solid kill move to speak of, so it takes some finesse to make him effective all on his own.

Thankfully there are capsules and other items to be thrown!

Octopus Prime
03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Having just finished SSE, I have the following comments:

Unexpectedly, my favorite character seems to be Pokemon Trainer. I say unexpectedly because I was expecting it to be either Meta Knight or Pit. This is mostly because of how crazy-powerful Charizard is.

Also unexpectedly, I like using Lucas. This is unexpected because I can't use Ness to save my life. Lucas I have no problem with, it's great.

While I don't dislike him, Meta Knight certainly is awkward to use. His Side-B isn't very useful against other players or bosses, but it is pretty handy against swarms of lesser enemies.

I'm not entirely sure how Meta and Lucario's Down-B's work...

Olimar's introduction in SSE is so very, very wonderful.

Morbid Coffee
03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm not entirely sure how Meta and Lucario's Down-B's work...

Lucario's Down B is just like Marth and Ike's Counter move. As for Metaknight, I really don't know. Does it say in the manual?

On another note, why didn't anybody tell me the coin launcher is so addicting? I went in just to give it a try, and I came out 40 stickers and 68 trophies later.

JCDenton
03-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Snake is awesome, I was not disappointed. The only issues are I liked him so much I barely used anyone else and I probably won't be able to play again for a few days.

Alixsar
03-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Finally finished SSE a minute ago. I wish someone would have told me that the last 2 hours of it was some sort of attempt at making a Smash Bros./Metroid hybrid. But whatever, I got through it. I've got all the characters now, except for the Jigglypuff/Toon Link/Wolf. That's my next goal. I also tried playing online, but I couldn't get a single match started. And I got disconnected, like, four times. So yeah, I might hold off on that. I did get my friend code though, so I guess it wasn't a total loss. Hopefully Nintendo will iron out all of the rough patches in the next few weeks.

mopinks
03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
the amount of content in this game is really borderline disturbing. I mean, I knew that going in, but now that I'm experiencing it first-hand I'm truly amazed!

also, SSE is the closest thing ever to Kirby Super Star 2. how great is that?

Tavir
03-10-2008, 07:30 PM
The Mr. Resetti assist trophy is quite possibly the most annoying thing I've ever seen in a videogame. EVER.

I kinda sorta love it.

TheSL
03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
I got to the final set of areas in SSE, but man, that's annoying to have to search around for all the fights.

Gredlen
03-10-2008, 08:33 PM
I got to the final set of areas in SSE, but man, that's annoying to have to search around for all the fights.

I'm not sure if there's something specific that triggers it or if it's always there, but if you pause the game, you should be able to see where all the fights are in the form of some flashing... Bowser? icon.

reibeatall
03-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Has anybody taken a screenshot and placed it upon an SD card, and then took that picture to a photo place and have it printed out? Or does it not save as a picture file?

mopinks
03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
they're not normal picture files, but I know someone made a tool to convert them to regular old JPEGs. I don't know if it works with the US version of the game, though.

Brickroad
03-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Q. Who has the best final smash?

A. Jigglypuff!

(And if you disagree, it's because you haven't seen it yet.)

reibeatall
03-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Why wouldn't it work?

mopinks
03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
I don't know, but there's always the possibility! strange things happen when games cross the ocean.

here's a link to the program, anyway. (http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2008/02/28/brawl-screenshot-decrypter-%E2%80%93-sweet-mercy-me-i-do-believe-im-gettin-the-vapors/) someone else be the guinea pig!

Knight
03-10-2008, 10:09 PM
You can also use this site (http://brawl.kakkoister.com/) to convert them.

reibeatall
03-10-2008, 10:09 PM
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6146/itoutut5.jpg

Aquadeo
03-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Okay, so I just finished the Subspace Emissary. I have to say, I wasn't expecting the Pokémon Trainer to be so entertaining and simple to use. Their method of having you collect all three of his monsters deserves a lot of the credit there -- it's a quick and effective connection with the character, and it gives you a chance to learn each Pokémon separately.

Come to think of it, I didn't expect to like R.O.B., either, but now he's got a place in my heart. Mostly because his intro cinematic is just terrific.

Overall, SSE is fantastic. The only problem, though... who in the world is "Tabuu", and what makes him so special?

Oh, and I agree with MorbidCoffee: the coin launcher is solid gold.

BEAT
03-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Maybe it's because I set it to "Easy" (screw you all, I wanted Sonic and I wanted him fast) but all the fights showed up on my map.

Might make life easier if you just want to reap the rewards of Subspace as quickly as possible.

Alixsar
03-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Well, I've got everyone now. Three important things have come to light since I posted last:

1) Wow, Wolf is awesome. He's like how I've always wanted Fox to play. The only problem is that it's Wolf, who I don't really like too much. But still, he might work as an alternate character or something.

2) They made some changes to Link that, while I can deal with, made me look for someone else to make my "main" character. And I've found him. Toon Link is The Shit™. He's still got all of the stuff I like about Link, plus some new stuff that I like even more. And he's a lot lighter than regular Link, who I think they made feel too heavy. As if that wasn't enough, one of his color schemes is old school brown-hair-brown-long-sleeves-green-tunic Link. I mean, from the very first Zelda game-style Link. That makes me happy in ways you don't even want to know about.

3) Sonic is fast. Too fast. I can't even tell what I'm doing when I play as him.

Aquadeo
03-11-2008, 04:59 AM
Maybe it's because I set it to "Easy" (screw you all, I wanted Sonic and I wanted him fast) but all the fights showed up on my map.

My suspicion is that all the fight locations becomes visible as soon as you get to the room which leads you to the final battle.

Mr. Sensible
03-11-2008, 05:50 AM
My suspicion is that all the fight locations becomes visible as soon as you get to the room which leads you to the final battle.

The Maze's boss locations showed on my map right after I completed the full "circuit" of rooms and ended up back at the stadium room.

Octopus Prime
03-11-2008, 05:54 AM
They showed up for me the second time I found my way into the entrance to the boss room.

Jeanie
03-11-2008, 06:58 AM
2) They made some changes to Link that, while I can deal with, made me look for someone else to make my "main" character. And I've found him. Toon Link is The Shit™. He's still got all of the stuff I like about Link, plus some new stuff that I like even more. And he's a lot lighter than regular Link, who I think they made feel too heavy. As if that wasn't enough, one of his color schemes is old school brown-hair-brown-long-sleeves-green-tunic Link. I mean, from the very first Zelda game-style Link. That makes me happy in ways you don't even want to know about.

Exactly! Though I wish he had a slightly better range with his sword.

Brickroad
03-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Online play is both the bomb and the shit. I was getting upwards of a full second of lag last night though, and I was apparently the only one. I'll dick around with my wireless settings and see if I can shake the rats out of the woodwork.

It took us approximately two weeks to metagame Halo 3 to the point where we weren't really playing Halo anymore, but instead just trying to out-stupid each other with crazy gametypes. I am pleased to announce we have broken our old record: in less than three matches the Smash metagame has become "initiate Jigglypuff's final smash". It doesn't matter what your score is or how many people you KO -- play Jigglypuff and grab the Smash Ball and you win!

Also, re: SSE, you know where the fights are by looking at the dots on your map. The dots lead either to fights or to new rooms, and either way you have to explore them all to clear the level. I don't know what I did to get the Bowser heads to appear, but by the time I did there were only like three fights left anyway.

TheSL
03-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I got the markers to show up right before I went to bed last night so at least I know the general area all of them are in now. Its still frustrating to have to play through the same sections over and over because you missed one spot on the far side of the map, though.

Morbid Coffee
03-11-2008, 09:18 AM
I am pleased to announce we have broken our old record: in less than three matches the Smash metagame has become "initiate Jigglypuff's final smash". It doesn't matter what your score is or how many people you KO -- play Jigglypuff and grab the Smash Ball and you win!

Try doing it in a Special Mega Brawl. It becomes even more obnoxious, and takes up almost the entire screen.

On another note, I take back everything bad I said about Sonic. I'm actually having fun playing as him, and think he may very well be my new main character.

Calorie Mate
03-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Man, I totally missed that we had a FC about Smash until now!

I'm only 25% through SSE, and with all the fun I'm having with ya'll online, I don't see myself finishing any time soon. Sigh...some day I'll have you, Toon Link...some day...

Brickroad
03-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Try doing it in a Special Mega Brawl. It becomes even more obnoxious, and takes up almost the entire screen.

Oh god, why didn't you suggest that last night? Now I'm not going to be able to think of anything else ALL DAY LONG.

Wait, what if it was Mega Brawl with Super Mushrooms turned up to high, and then you did it? Would she actually bulge out the sides of your television!?

Morbid Coffee
03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Wait, what if it was Mega Brawl with Super Mushrooms turned up to high, and then you did it? Would she actually bulge out the sides of your television!?

I tried it with Super Mushrooms, but the character goes back to their normal game-dependent size when using their final Smash. The only way to have a gigantic game breaking Jigglypuff is through Mega Brawl, since the default size is already super-mushroom sized.

Alixsar
03-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I just thought I'd bring this to everyone's attention. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvBVT0iBqDg&feature=related) Because it's hilarious. There's a bunch of them, but the one I linked to is arguably the best.

tungwene
03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
I just got Lucario. He looks pretty awesome though I haven't had a chance to play him since the boyfriend hogged him all afternoon.

BEAT
03-11-2008, 04:14 PM
The game notified me that I had fought over 100 brawls, so I guess that means online matches do contribute to your brawl totals after all. That's cool.

I unlocked Sonic last night, and he fills me with joy. Why didn't anybody tell me that his running animation is the figure-8 dash? Furthermore, why didn't I notice that until now? Also awesome: the Pokemon trainer standing on top of the shuttle loop in green hill zone.

The sad thing is, after these life changing discoveries, I promptly left the state on a sort of ritual spring break trip. No smash for me until Thursday. I don't know how I'll cope.

Schmidt
03-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey, is there any way to extract pictures I've snapped and saved to an SD card so I can open them on my PC? Anyone hacked together a utility to read them off there or anything?

Mr. Sensible
03-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Man, just betting on these online matches is addictive enough to be a game in its own right. Someone mentioned that they always bet on Peach, and I will add that Luigi players seem to be universal ass-kickers as well. Put your money on them!

Yeah, we totally need to get some Brawlin' on tonight.

EDIT: Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks Toon Link was a bit of a bastard to fight for his unlock. His small stature belies great power indeed.

TheSL
03-11-2008, 05:05 PM
I beat SSE and fought against Toon Link(and lost); soon I'll have all the characters unlocked!

Jeanie
03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Man, just betting on these online matches is addictive enough to be a game in its own right. Someone mentioned that they always bet on Peach, and I will add that Luigi players seem to be universal ass-kickers as well. Put your money on them!

Yeah, we totally need to get some Brawlin' on tonight.

EDIT: Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks Toon Link was a bit of a bastard to fight for his unlock. His small stature belies great power indeed.

I'd love to get online but Nintendo's Wi-Fi seems to hate my Wii. I haven't been able to connect to it since the one time. But hey, I now have everyone unlocked and a lot of the challenge board unlocked. Go me!

As for Toon Link, yeah took me three tries. The first one got me because of the catapault on the front of the ship launched me. Never saw it coming.

Hey Schimdt, look at the top of the page, around post 97...

Brickroad
03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Hey guys any ideas on what to do about this lag? It's like a full second of lag no matter who I'm connected to. Is there some kind of magic I can work on my router to get it to stop fucking around?

BEAT
03-11-2008, 07:26 PM
The fist night I tried it, the lag was almost nonexistent. The second night it was all encompassing, and neither night did I do anything to my router.

I get the feeling it's all Nintendo's fault, and that there's not much we can do about it. Oh well.

Morbid Coffee
03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I've given some time to playing some level 9 CPUs after playing online for so long. It seems they're not so much hard as they are cunning, compared to Melee's level 9 CPU players.

Example: In Melee, the computer was a straight-up brawler, walking right into your attacks stupidly as long as it meant they were getting closer and closer to spam an A-button combo move on you repeatedly. The Brawl computer player, however, is capable of juggling you mid-air with up-A attacks until it's able to smash you off the stage. It also likes to roll more often, but more often to safely close the distance with you to land a smash or grab attack, rather than to avoid your moves.

I'm seeing a patten in how it plays, but I don't have my finger quite on it just yet. Still, my win ratio with the CPU has been one loss with every three consecutive wins, which means they're not impossible. Just takes practice, but I do feel like I'm learning the workings of the game a little more with every win I get. It's certainly much more enjoyable playing with computers this time around, but playing with actual humans is still where the meat of the game lies.

I also completed Classic Mode on Very Hard with Link. I feel accomplished.

reibeatall
03-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I also completed Classic Mode on Very Hard with Link. I feel accomplished.

Intense with Lucas.

My e-penis is bigger!

Morbid Coffee
03-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Intense with Lucas.

My e-penis is bigger!

:(

At least I can still get my taunts right during online matches.

reibeatall
03-11-2008, 10:39 PM
SHUT YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH

Gredlen
03-11-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm five stages away from 100% in SSE. I can't figure out what I'm missing on Battleship Halberd Exterior or The Plain. I haven't gotten around to trying to complete the other three (The Ruins, Battleship Halberd Interior, and The Subspace Bomb Factory) yet. I do have all the characters, though.

Balrog
03-11-2008, 10:44 PM
lol, I'm terrible at this game...

Gredlen
03-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Guys, I love the hammers. I was just about to complain about the 15-minute Brawl, when I realized I could just use the hammer and forget about it. Hooray!

locit
03-12-2008, 12:25 AM
lol, I'm terrible at this game...
Oh man, right with you. I got my ass handed to me today by Tomm via Pit. It was a humbling experience. I also need to figure out a decent kill technique with Sonic bad.

TheSL
03-12-2008, 04:58 AM
Before I went to bed last night I unlocked the rest of the characters and now I'm 35/40 in Challenge Mode.

SlimJimm
03-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Hmm I guess I wont be playing much against Coffee or Rei since they take on level 9 CPUs without breaking a sweat, and here I was going to say that three level 6 CPUs is a nightmare.

Throughout my time in Subspace Emissary (almost done, Im in the Great Maze) I noticed that I mostly lean towards choosing heavy hitters than speedy characters. I have a feeling that my love of powerful smashers is going to get me killed online.

TheSL
03-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Throughout my time in Subspace Emissary (almost done, Im in the Great Maze) I noticed that I mostly lean towards choosing heavy hitters than speedy characters. I have a feeling that my love of powerful smashers is going to get me killed online.

That's probably the main reason I don't like Ike is because his smashes are so slow.

Brickroad
03-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Oh man, right with you. I got my ass handed to me today by Tomm via Pit. It was a humbling experience. I also need to figure out a decent kill technique with Sonic bad.

Sonic's up-air is almost identical to Fox's, which makes it a great kill move. The real trick is connecting with it (you want to hit with the upper part of the kick, not the side part, since that will get you almost straight vertical knockback).

I've read that the spring Sonic drops with his aerial up+B will spike, but it's gotta be a bitch and a half to connect with. His down-air is a killer spike too, but watch that you don't commit suicide with it.

Sonic is totally the new Fox. He's a killer character, but there's a super steep learning curve you have to scale before you can keep him under control. I'm still trying to find the practical differences between all his roll moves.

Anyway, I sure as hell won't be going up against Tomm with Sonic. There's only three characters I'm confident enough with to take into that fight, and even then I doubt my chances are very good.

reibeatall
03-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Hmm I guess I wont be playing much against Coffee or Rei since they take on level 9 CPUs without breaking a sweat, and here I was going to say that three level 6 CPUs is a nightmare.

I wouldn't worry too much about that.

ScrambledGregs
03-12-2008, 08:56 AM
I've dabbled in pretty much everything the game has, as well as unlocked all the characters and stages. My thoughts:

1) Almost all of the new stages are awesome. Mushroomy Kingdom, 75m, Electroplankton one, Pictochat, WarioWare...seriously, they're great.

2) Ivysaur's standard B move--the one that shoots seeds at whoever is above him--is so abusable, just as Pit's forward-B is.

3) Olimar is probably the weirdest Smash character ever, because other than standard A attacks, all of his B moves are dependent on his Pikmin. His up+B move will damage foes, but otherwise you're better off spamming forward+B and B in a cycle if you hope to have any chance.

4) I think all of the lag is on Nintendo's end. I know that personally I've had some great lag free games, but then some one-to-three second nightmares within the space of a few minutes.

5) You guys really need to try out the Stage Builder. You can make the most hilariously difficult and awkward stages ever with it. Fuck the tourney players!!

6) Connect to a Play Anyone match and just keep jumping off the edge. I like to call it 'reverse griefing.'

7) I've beaten all of the Events on Easy and a few on Hard, and man do they vary in difficulty even then from "I didn't even have to look at the screen" to "I had to try this 5 times in a row and even then I still barely managed it." Have fun with Event 41!!

8) Coin Launcher is awesome, and much better than the frustrating gumball-slot-machine approach that Melee took.

9) I've said this before, but I'll say it again: the final boss of SSE is a cheap son of a bitch, and even though you get to pick 6 of your best characters to fight him, you'll still lose once or twice.

Jeanie
03-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Re: stages

I really like most of the new stages. Except New Pork City. God I hate how freaking Huge that stage is. And to make things worse evertime you fight Ness or Lucas in Solo Mode, you fight them there. It's really bad when you're going against Team whoever and one them wanders away to the bottom of the map and it zooms way out. For the record I also didn't like Hyrulean Temple from Melee either.

Also why no love for some the stages from SSB64?

Zeroneight
03-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm just happy Big Blue's back. I have a friend who would ONLY play as Sheik (to be fair, I almost always played as Samus) in Melee, and Big Blue was the only stage where I could consistently beat him.

Brickroad
03-12-2008, 09:52 AM
big stages suck

God yes. All too often the screen will be super zoomed-out and I can't even tell what direction I'm facing.

Octopus Prime
03-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Re: stages

I really like most of the new stages. Except New Pork City. God I hate how freaking Huge that stage is. And to make things worse evertime you fight Ness or Lucas in Solo Mode, you fight them there. It's really bad when you're going against Team whoever and one them wanders away to the bottom of the map and it zooms way out. For the record I also didn't like Hyrulean Temple from Melee either.

Also why no love for some the stages from SSB64?

I'm inclined to agree (except that I liked Hyrule Temple). On the plus side, sometimes the oppoents wander into the Behemoth, which is a damn sight easier then tracking them down on that tiny, tiny screen myself.

TheSL
03-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I think the Mother 3 music in New Pork City makes up for any design failings. Also, the fact that the background is a pretty accurate(100%?) rendition of that area in the game.

Speaking of awesome music, the Mario Bros stage has some kind of NES medley that occasionally cuts to the song from when Lil Mac is running behind Doc on the bike from Punch-Out!!

SlimJimm
03-12-2008, 10:17 AM
That Porky song is the worst song in the whole game!

But I like the big map when playing with 3 other people. Its a nice change of pace from the Temple stage.

Brickroad
03-12-2008, 10:22 AM
My favorite big stage is 75m. Huge level with lots of stuff going on, but only a few areas for big brawls to occur, which is good because none of my best characters can fare well in a massive brawl. Also, the simple graphics make it easy to see what's going on even when the camera is pulled way out.

New Pork City doesn't work because the background is so busy and there are lots of tiny, thin ledges. Temple is at least comprised of only a few huge pieces of rock, and the background is mainly just blue sky, so even pulled way out you can tell what is standable terrain and what isn't.

Any other fans of the new Ice Climber stage? Kind of blah overall, but the transition period where you're sliding downhill is exhilirating. I've always said it would be cool to have a Smash stage that is basically just an endless freefall, and this is the closest we'll ever get.

reibeatall
03-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Re: Ice Climber Stage-

Fuck that stupid fish thing that eats you. I WAS NOT WARNED.

SlimJimm
03-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Re: Ice Climber Stage-

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/stages/images/stage16/stage16_071031f.jpg
"A fish leaps out of the water!" :D

Brickroad
03-12-2008, 10:31 AM

I will not lie: I laughed my ass off the first time I met that fish.

Of course the first time I met that fish I was standing safely on the iceberg above and it was Morbid Coffee who was lunch. So maybe that's why it was funny.

TheSL
03-12-2008, 10:32 AM
That Porky song is the worst song in the whole game!

Only if you haven't played Mother 3.

Tomm Guycot
03-12-2008, 10:47 AM

I haven't gone above 3 for CPU and I kicked Rei's ass, so...

Kfroog
03-12-2008, 11:22 AM
So… stage builder.
I keep making stages in which you can duck through the very bottom floor. At first, I felt like this was a problem, but now I've decided to just go with it.

I really hate how there's no ladder top piece, and you're required to leave an entire square of empty space on all sides of most objects. This prevents me from making most of the stages I want to make.

Brickroad
03-12-2008, 11:35 AM
I've built 17 stages so far.

The first 15 were bullshit throwaway stages to unlock the rest of the pieces. (Hey guys! I have a great idea! Let's make it so they can't really begin to build stages until they've already built 15! We are geniuses!)

Then I deleted those.

Then I built a "death match" arena that is completely boxed in except one hole in the top corner. Pretty soon everyone is at 600% and still wailing on each other.

Then I built a level where the only solid floor are drop blocks at the very top. The bottom is comprised of a few narrow springs flanked by huge beds of spikes.

I wish I could set spawn points for characters and items. I'd create an arena with a gap too wide to cross (well, for most characters anyway) and everyone would just have to throw bombs and Mr. Saturns at each other.

Calorie Mate
03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Intense with Lucas.

My e-penis is bigger!

Intense with Snake.

Brickroad
03-12-2008, 11:48 AM
You guys beating Very Hard and Intense need to start saying how many continues you're using.

Octopus Prime
03-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Event 41 hates me. This is the only excuse I can think of for my repeated failures.

reibeatall
03-12-2008, 11:50 AM
You guys beating Very Hard and Intense need to start saying how many continues you're using.

And that's only because some stupid bastard kid picked up the game and "played for me".

Morbid Coffee
03-12-2008, 12:06 PM

I used one continue on my Link/Very Hard playthrough. Managed to get to Master Hand on my final life, but he got me while I wasn't paying attention.

Regardless of what level CPUs I fight, I've still been beaten by several people here; Rei, Gredlen, Brickroad, Kfroog, ScrambledGregs, Poetfox, etc. Granted, when I usually play online, I just pick any character, mostly ones I never really use, and just have fun with you guys.

The only times I'm really out to win are when I pick my Blue-tunic Link.

Calorie Mate
03-12-2008, 02:00 PM
2 continues on my Snake / Extreme play through as well.

Dynastic Bird
03-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Studying and the game only coming yesterday prevented me from getting far. I only have around 33% in SSE and not even half the characters (SONIC! LUCARIO!), but I'm lovin' this so far! Jeeze, I've played Melee so much without items I forgot just how chaotic it is! And by "chaotic" I don't mean "cheap," just HILARIOUS! Wow, just wow...

I haven't touched Classic though, and only did a few event matches. And SSE? It feels like a bit of a bore alone. It's practically begging for multi-player! sigh...

And yeah- I need to play with stage builder. Wait, building stages unlocks more stuff? Sigh...

Brickroad
03-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Had a lot of false starts trying to clear 15-minute Brawl just now. Eventually did clear it using Sonic by waiting until I could get the number of alloys down to two, then just evading them.

Total kills: 29. Heh.

Mr. Sensible
03-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Event 41 hates me. This is the only excuse I can think of for my repeated failures.

Man, this brings back memories of that Ganondorf-Mewtwo-Giga Bowser event in Melee. Uggghh.

Not even DK's ground-slap spamming can withstand such concentrated evil. SNAAAAAKE

BEAT
03-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I haven't touched Classic though, and only did a few event matches. And SSE? It feels like a bit of a bore alone. It's practically begging for multi-player! sigh...A quick run through Classic on easy takes less than 10 minutes, and nets you a certain green-wearing individual as a playable character.

That's 10 minutes well spent from my perspective.

Calorie Mate
03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
A quick run through Classic on easy takes less than 10 minutes, and nets you a certain green-wearing individual as a playable character.

That's 10 minutes well spent from my perspective.

But you also get said green individual after only playing like 20 matches or something, so he'll show up soon enough.

Brickroad
03-13-2008, 10:33 AM
I just played through SSE to unlock everyone, using the following logic:

- I was going to play SSE eventually anyway, and
- you don't get to pick whomever you want on your first playthrough.

At the end you only have three guys left to unlock, which takes a grand total of maybe 10 minutes (depending on how many times you have to retry).

Jeanie
03-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Yay me, I beat 100 foes on Endless Melee today. My trick, DK's Down+B attack over and over and over. Next up sometime later today is 15Min Melee, my best was 2 min left and I slipped off the stage and fell under it. I also beat Event 41 on Normal too, ZS Samus and used her Side+B attack alot and tried to take out Mario first if I could.

New Discussion: Items. What new ones do you like/dislike, which old ones have been nerfed horribly. The Home-run Bat has been toned down a lot since Melee, what with the longer windup time. Seems like if you get hit with it now, you deserve to lose a life.

TheSL
03-13-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Dragoon items because it seems like they fall way too often.

Egarwaen
03-13-2008, 12:51 PM
The Star Wand still kicks ass.

SlimJimm
03-13-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Dragoon items because it seems like they fall way too often.

Exactly. For some reason even though all items are set to Medium, seems like I always get a lot of Star Fox Bombs and Dragoon pieces.

Calorie Mate
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Agreed about the Dragoon pieces; they come up to much, and I liked the idea of them being a little more rare.

I love the Bombs from Star Fox; definitely my favorite new item. The cracker launcher is a personal favorite as well.

Brickroad
03-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't think the Dragoon parts spawn more commonly than any other given item, it's just that when one does spawn the other two will spawn quickly behind it. And if nobody assembles the thing and people keep beating the parts out of each other, it will seem as though the battlefield is constantly being littered with Dragoon parts.

I think the Dragoon items are better than the Smash Ball, personally. For most (but certainly not all) characters the Dragoon is better than a final smash.

Balrog
03-13-2008, 03:27 PM
I won my first match last night, with Kirby. So I'm like 1-20 now. Also, the level editor is big letdown.

Gredlen
03-13-2008, 03:37 PM
At the end you only have three guys left to unlock, which takes a grand total of maybe 10 minutes (depending on how many times you have to retry).

Man, Jigglypuff KICKED MY ASS. Seriously. I only got one hit in the entire time. It was kind of shameful having to retry that fight. At least I got the other two on the first try.

Tomm Guycot
03-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I won my first match last night, with Kirby. So I'm like 1-20 now. Also, the level editor is big letdown.

You know there are 3 more sets of things to unlock in level editor, right?

Gredlen
03-13-2008, 04:04 PM

Overall, that unlocks five objects, three of which are shared between the different object sets and two that are specific to each set. The shared objects are pretty neat, but I don't think they will lessen his disappointment.

Anyway, I just powered on Brawl and got a song before I even got to the menu.
My first thought was that it was a CD unlocked by the number of times you turn on the game, but I think people would have already mentioned that if it was the case. Actually, I'm pretty sure it was the CD I grabbed while beating up on Brick online. It was Snowman, the remix of Earthbound's Winters theme. Which is one of the songs I was looking forward to unlocking, so hooray.

Balrog
03-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Yeah, I got those and for some reason I thought you could make 'levels' and not just gimped SBB stages. Why is there a memory cap on the size of the stage? It's worse than Mega Man: Powered Up >:(

Calorie Mate
03-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Overall, that unlocks five objects, three of which are shared between the different object sets and two that are specific to each set. The shared objects are pretty neat, but I don't think they will lessen his disappointment.

Anyway, I just powered on Brawl and got a song before I even got to the menu.
My first thought was that it was a CD unlocked by the number of times you turn on the game, but I think people would have already mentioned that if it was the case. Actually, I'm pretty sure it was the CD I grabbed while beating up on Brick online. It was Snowman, the remix of Earthbound's Winters theme. Which is one of the songs I was looking forward to unlocking, so hooray.

This happened to me once, too. I'm assuming they don't want to interrupt your online session, so once you grab a CD online the message will pop up next time you start the game.

locit
03-13-2008, 05:41 PM
The level editor has been a pretty tepid experience for me so far. The placement mechanic is super tedious (select piece, place piece, select same piece, eons later you've got a basic area floor) unless I'm missing something. Am I? I would love to be able to just click and place things consecutively. Truly I would.

Sonic continues to be my character of choice, and I've noticed that I (along with other Genny Sonic fans) tend to play him differently than do most people- probably because he just feels wonderfully familiar, even if he is a little bit unstable. I've been attacking people like badniks from the old games and not really knocking anyone out of the park- which is cool, but super ineffective. Smash characters are not defeated with one quick hit!

And Beat, a Sonic fanboy face off is inevitable. Ready yourself!

In general I'm digging the events, though my wins in the more nettlesome numbers mentioned here have been mostly by luck. I've also really gotten a kick out of SSE, mostly thanks to co-op mode. Alone it's not very fun, but like many games, a second player makes the experience something special.

Finally, has anyone else noticed their characters tripping over themselves every so often while just walking around? What the heck causes that?

Tomm Guycot
03-13-2008, 05:45 PM
The level editor has been a pretty tepid experience for me so far. The placement mechanic is super tedious (select piece, place piece, select same piece, eons later you've got a basic area floor) unless I'm missing something. Am I? I would love to be able to just click and place things consecutively. Truly I would.

See the little Z button icon in the corner that says "consecutive"?

Hmmmm :)

Octopus Prime
03-13-2008, 06:06 PM
I managed to beat Event 41. But only by setting the difficulty to Easy. Even then, I had to retry a couple of times.

keele864
03-13-2008, 06:19 PM
I just unlocked Snake. He's awesome. Going to try and unlock Sonic later tonight, as my friends really want to play as him, and I'm going to see them tomorrow.

Mr. Sensible
03-13-2008, 06:27 PM
I managed to beat Event 41. But only by setting the difficulty to Easy. Even then, I had to retry a couple of times.

I finally beat it on Normal last night. I think I was using Samus and a shitload of screw attacks, and also happened to get lucky with a couple thrown items connecting for easy KOs.

Not sure I'm willing to try #41 on Hard at this point.

Octopus Prime
03-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Do you unlock anything different for beating it on Normal instead of Easy?

Mr. Sensible
03-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Do you unlock anything different for beating it on Normal instead of Easy?

Not sure. I forgot what the reward was and I don't see it on the Challenges grid. What did you get when you beat it on easy?

Schmidt
03-13-2008, 06:44 PM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5715/al0803132054ug7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SlimJimm
03-13-2008, 06:45 PM
I wish I could remember to capture moments like that.

Gredlen
03-13-2008, 06:52 PM
So I got two more CDs while playing online today and it really does give you the message after you power back up. I'd prefer if you got the message after you leave the online mode, but whatever. I got the totally sweet Vs. Marx song (the last boss battle theme from Kirby Super Star's Milky Way Wishes).

Schmidt
03-13-2008, 06:53 PM
I wish I could remember to capture moments like that.

I'm getting in the habit of saving replays pretty often, then it's just the hassle of going back through them and finding the good shots.

mopinks
03-13-2008, 08:40 PM
yay, unlocked Snake and Lucario! I'M WAY BEHIND, SHUT UP. :<

I love how Snake's play style is so completely different from any other character's. he can hurt himself with his own down smash! madness!

Kfroog
03-13-2008, 08:48 PM
so has anybody found a method that can kill 10 opponents in cruel brawl? i managed to kill 5 by constantly edge grabbing with samus to lure them to their deaths, but it took at least 10 tries to pull that off.

Dynastic Bird
03-13-2008, 08:51 PM
yay, unlocked Snake and Lucario! I'M WAY BEHIND, SHUT UP. :<

I love how Snake's play style is so completely different from any other character's. he can hurt himself with his own down smash! madness!

I don't even have Lucario. I wish you guys didn't have so much free time! Or that this lasted another week (I'm thinking "No chance whatsoever"). Ah well...

Snake IS really fun...and can get annoying on smaller stages. You know you can get the whole thing to blow up with him?

O..O~
03-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Jigglypuff is the one pokemon that tugs at my cute strings still. Its alternate costumes in this are grand, I always play with the big summer hat. And its final smash? I laugh and say "awww" every time I see it. God I am gay.

BEAT
03-13-2008, 09:51 PM
And Beat, a Sonic fanboy face off is inevitable. Ready yourself!I'll add you to my list as soon as I'm back home.

Let us have a confrontation, that quickly escalates to an altercation! And regardless of how many times you stomp my ass, I'll probably keep coming back for more!

Torgo
03-14-2008, 12:17 AM
So guys, I've mostly been playing SSE. Took me about nine hours to finish with about 85% completion, and in the process it unlocked everyone for me but Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf.

Aside from being a great way to unlock characters, I'm so glad to be done with it and that I never have to play it again.* I think the only time I was having fun was the Pikachu/Samus parts. The rest of it was (mostly) just annoying and frustrating.

*Apparently by replaying parts of SSE you can get Jugglypuff ad Wolf though, so I will be playing it just a little bit more. And I might just get to 100% for the heck of it.

Gredlen
03-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Yeah, those three appear in SSE after you finish it.
I've got 97% left, but I've been occupied trying to do all the challenges, so I haven't gone back to SSE to get 100%. I think I'm going to revisit it once I've finished Classic with all the characters.

locit
03-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Wow, I just unlocked the "Right There (Right On!)" bgm from Sonic Rush.

[fanboy noises]

Torgo
03-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Unlocked the rest of the cast. I know this is pretty well worn territory already, but Toon Link is awesome.

Anyway, much as I sort-of-don't-like SSE, I am glad they made a way to unlock every character in it. Having a straight-up hour or match number to reach inevitably leads to things like leaving the game on overnight or doing match after match of 1 stock fights. Thumbs up, Sakurai, and I assure you that Donkey and Diddy Kong's win/loss record appreciates it.

Also, much as the new stages rock my face, Big Blue is still by far my favorite stage. I just wish there were more of the N64 stages in there besides Onett. The lack of Saffron City makes me sad indeed.

mopinks
03-14-2008, 01:47 AM
b-but Onett is a Melee stage! Ness didn't even have a stage in the N64 game.

total number of SSB64 stages in Brawl: 0

Torgo
03-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Crap, it wasn't? Odd, I distinctly remember it being one.

I guess I lose my Nintendo badge, guys. I still get to keep my copy of the game though, right?

Schmidt
03-14-2008, 03:43 AM
b-but Onett is a Melee stage! Ness didn't even have a stage in the N64 game.

total number of SSB64 stages in Brawl: 0

I could've sworn there were some unlockable, no?

mopinks
03-14-2008, 04:39 AM
the 8-bit Mushroom Kingdom stage is the only unlockable stage in SSB64. all of the hidden characters just borrow someone else's stage to fight on, because they got nothin'.

(unless Luigi's home stage is Mushroom Kingdom. I can't remember!)

Schmidt
03-14-2008, 07:04 AM
No, I meant SSB64 stages are unlockable in Brawl, but I may have been confused.

mopinks
03-14-2008, 07:26 AM
oh, no, nothing but Melee stages. (otherwise, that 'Melee Stages' button would be a dirty dirty lie.)

Jeanie
03-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Well the DK level and Corneria (where you fight on the Great Fox) from Melee were remakes from SSB64. Otherwise yeah I am really disapointed by the lack of SSB64 stages.

O..O~
03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/images/assist16/assist16_080314c.jpg

• Play a total of 300 matches in Brawl or related modes.

GAHHHH

Mr. Sensible
03-14-2008, 10:16 AM
GAHHHH

I was hoping for an Advance Wars assist trophy, BUT NOT LIKE THIS

Patrick
03-14-2008, 10:26 AM
haha, that's kind of awesome. Do online matches count?

Gredlen
03-14-2008, 10:37 AM
The lack of Saffron City makes me sad indeed.

I want a Saffron City remake so bad. My friends and I used to play SSB64 every day after school and that was basically the only level we played.

Guy
03-14-2008, 10:44 AM
I can't say I had a fantastic time slogging through SSE either, but I loved the cutscenes. Seeing Kirby completely obliterate Ganondorf and Bowser's huge subspace cannon with the air ride machine in a single strike was probably the most badass thing I have ever seen.

Jeanie
03-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Hehe, yeah that was pretty awesome. Though my favorite scene is still Peach offering Fox tea.

On a side note, is it me or is the Soccer ball slightly overpowered?

Brickroad
03-14-2008, 10:53 AM
On a side note, is it me or is the Soccer ball slightly overpowered?

As compared to what? The Bob-ombs, Heart Containers, Bumpers or Cracker Launcher?

Gredlen
03-14-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm glad they brought back the bumpers. Those things are so mean.

Octopus Prime
03-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Not sure. I forgot what the reward was and I don't see it on the Challenges grid. What did you get when you beat it on easy?

I got a nice little message that said "All 41 Events Have Been Cleared"

Jeanie
03-14-2008, 02:31 PM
As compared to what? The Bob-ombs, Heart Containers, Bumpers or Cracker Launcher?

Well if you do it right, a Soccer Ball is a OHKO (well multiple hits, but one attack) and reusable until it goes off the edge or disappears. The others are tricky to use to get multiple KO's and can take you out just as easily, or in the case of the Heart Containers, you can still take damage while it heals you. The Soccer Ball is, IMO, the new Home-run Bat.

locit
03-14-2008, 04:29 PM
I haven't run into it that many times, but the soccer ball hasn't been terribly hard to avoid once kicked. The Dragoon, on the other hand, is killer stuff in the right hands. I like the fights that ensue around getting the pieces, as they focus everyone's hatred on one person for a very short (and hilarious) period of time.

Niku
03-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Note: for many, many Cruel Melee kills, use Kirby. Float high off to either side of the screen. When you run out of jumps, some of them will jump out to take advantage of you. Up+B down, spiking them, and grab onto the ledge all in one smooth motion. Repeat until unlocks pour forth.

Wish me luck. After throwing myself at it for a few hours last night and getting ever closer, I'm going to continue trying to clear Boss Battles on Intense with Lucas. He or Ness are recommended for this ridiculous feat, because Master Hand (finger gun) and Duon (pink guy's white lasers) can both be used to heal with PK Magnet. Luck in when you fight them and confidence in your ability to wait it out for their healing attacks without getting damaged (much) can really help get through the initial nine bosses while saving a heart for the Tabuu fight .. but then, well, good luck on that.

Of course, this applies to the LESS insane difficulty levels too.

Am I the only one who thinks it's REALLY, REALLY retarded that Golden Hammers don't work on some of the Challenge Squares? I need a by for beating 10 bosses on the hardest difficulty on a single life, Sakurai. Not for playing 10 matches on Frigate Orpheon.

Morbid Coffee
03-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Is it just me, or is Sonic the only one capable of meeting the target test time requirement challenges? I just barely made those five time limits, scratching off only a second or two on each.

Gredlen
03-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Pikachu is excellent for the target smashes. Actually, I think you're one of the three people I'm able to send stuff to, so I'm going to send you the two runs I saved.

mopinks
03-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Well the DK level and Corneria (where you fight on the Great Fox) from Melee were remakes from SSB64. Otherwise yeah I am really disapointed by the lack of SSB64 stages.

well, the Great Fox levels are pretty much identical, but Melee's DK levels are both totally new. Melee did have the N64 DK level too, though, but that one's not in Brawl.

and man, everyone wants Saffron City back. I HAVE TO CONCUR.

Morbid Coffee
03-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Pikachu is excellent for the target smashes. Actually, I think you're one of the three people I'm able to send stuff to, so I'm going to send you the two runs I saved.

I just watched them, and holy crap you just gave me a new perspective on how to go about them. Thanks, Gredlen!

Niku
03-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Yeoz, being super awesome, uploaded all five of my below-Challenge timed Target Tests (http://youtube.com/watch?v=J5qBY48kpRc) with Lucas. Hopefully they can help!

Eusis
03-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Beat SSE last night, I kinda wish they just doubled the size of the last level and made that the adventure mode, since while I liked having the Metroidvania thing it was at a point where you just want to beat the game and finish unlocking stuff. Also, I hate the final boss. I'll try again on normal sometime, but I just gave up on him and went to Easy.

Alixsar
03-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Guys, I think it's official now. I'm way better with Ike than I am Toon Link. I've tested it multiple times. Ike is now The Shit™, and Toon Link is Totally Righteous™, which is one step down.

And yeah, that final boss was pretty lame. I beat him on Normal, but it's not anything I'd ever want to do ever again.

Guy
03-15-2008, 12:16 AM
I beat him in one try, but I exhausted all but one of my six characters to do it.

The character that finished the job was Peach, of course.

Torgo
03-15-2008, 12:18 AM
What makes the final boss unmitigated bs is that shockwave thing it does. You know, the one that kills you in one hit (even with no damage) and you can't dodge?

Yeah, because of that I call bologna on the boss fight mode. You have to fight him last, and it pretty much boils down to praying that he doesn't do it before you can kill him. It's a complete freaking crapshoot.

Gredlen
03-15-2008, 01:33 AM
So I got 100% completion in SSE. You wanna know what you get?
Nothing. THANKS FOR PLAYING, SUCKER.

Seriously, you don't even get a message saying "You got 100% completion in The Subspace Emissary!"

Niku
03-15-2008, 01:38 AM
What makes the final boss unmitigated bs is that shockwave thing it does. You know, the one that kills you in one hit (even with no damage) and you can't dodge?

Yeah, because of that I call bologna on the boss fight mode. You have to fight him last, and it pretty much boils down to praying that he doesn't do it before you can kill him. It's a complete freaking crapshoot.

Incorrect. The shockwave is 100% dodgeable. If it wasn't, Boss Battle would be completely impossible, as you only get a single life to work with. You basically just need to stand on the ground and then dodge-roll three times to avoid the shockwave. Once you get the timing down with your character of choice, it should never hit you again.

I know this because what killed me when I just reached him with 0% damage at the beginning of the fight in Intense Boss Battle was not his shockwaves, but the way he explodes when he teleports catching me near the top of the screen during an aerial attack. Seriously, getting through nine bosses using only two of your hearts to save the last one for the final battle and then losing on him in such a frustrating fashion is hairpulling. Why am I such a gaming masochist? :(

mopinks
03-15-2008, 02:12 AM
yay, everyone accounted for but Sonic and those three stragglers that don't show up in SSE until after you beat it.

this maze level... it's long, guys.
overall, I've totally had a blast playing through SSE. and I don't even have a partner to co-op it with! :<

Lakupo
03-15-2008, 07:37 AM
I got to the Great Maze last night. "We must reuse these assets! Some... how! Some.. way!" Heck, it's pretty much SSE all over again. Some people complain about it, but I totally prefer the exploration crap that it pulls more than some of the obnoxious crap in the rest of SSE. Hey, hidden doors in auto-scrolling levels so you have to replay the ENTIRE LEVEL again to get it if you miss it? Noooo. Plus, there are plenty of annoying enemies in SSE, but whoever came up with the Greap should get a kick in the head.

SSE has had so many oddball hilarious scenes (Peach amid explosions, Peach offering tea), but one of the stranger ones was seeing Samus's ship, an Arwing, the Falcon... and Olimar's ship puttering along. It's adorable, but.. just weird! :D Also, King Dedede is the most awesome and hilarious character by the end.

I really should've saved the replay where I finished Target Smash level 5 in under 30 seconds with Ike. Just barely under 30 seconds. I'm not really used to being able to save replays, though, despite the relatively large (compared to the internal memory) SD card in my Wii.

I'm a little sad and perplexed that warp stars got nerfed. I mean, they've got so many superpowered items, why kill that one? The lowered the range and the power, why do both?

Tomm Guycot
03-15-2008, 09:22 AM
This just in: Lucas's Psi Magnet hits people when you let go of it.

SlimJimm
03-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Things I have learned over the week of Smash Bros Fun Club:

-Snake's B moves are totally rad.
-Alixsar is a beast with Ike.
-Coffee loves him some Smash Balls, and gets them all the time.
-Scrolling stages still suck. Boo DK level!
-I need a new strategy besides run in and C-stick.
-Anonymous People online are either Wolf or Sonic :(
-Jigglypuff has the best Final Smash, no and ifs or buts! (Jiggly!)

And most importantly, I need to learn to play with my mic off so no one hears me curse when I get Final Smashed four times in one game.

Jeanie
03-15-2008, 11:25 AM
well, the Great Fox levels are pretty much identical, but Melee's DK levels are both totally new. Melee did have the N64 DK level too, though, but that one's not in Brawl.

and man, everyone wants Saffron City back. I HAVE TO CONCUR.

No I'm pretty sure that the DK level from Melee that is in Brawl is the one that was in SSB64. The only difference is that I think the original had a launch barrel at the bottom of it, and the new one doesn't.

I can't confirm this though as I don't have a copy of either one at the moment.

And Saffron City was one of my top 3 stages ever too.

arkfullofsorrow
03-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm having a tough time with that 100 Man Brawl. A breeze for many Smash vets, it gets a little tougher when you've only played an average of one hour's worth of fighters per year (yes this includes Smash Brothers) over the past dozen years or more. I guess there's also the fact I have the hand-eye-coordination of somebody in their mid to late 30s, according to one of my brain trainer games. I can usually get the counter down to about 10 or so, then the enemies enter ass-kicking mode, and I pretty much stay in the air and over the edges and can't recover.

Gredlen
03-15-2008, 11:39 AM
You could probably just use Donkey Kong, get beneath one of the side platforms, and spam his down+B. Just keep tapping away and you'll quickly rack up the kills. You won't be untouchable, but most enemies will be too dumb to hit you. It's the red ones you have to watch out for; they can and occasionally will hit you from the top of the platform.

I did the 100-man Brawl normally, but this is the method I used to get 100 KOs in Endless Brawl.

Jeanie
03-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm having a tough time with that 100 Man Brawl. A breeze for many Smash vets, it gets a little tougher when you've only played an average of one hour's worth of fighters per year (yes this includes Smash Brothers) over the past dozen years or more. I guess there's also the fact I have the hand-eye-coordination of somebody in their mid to late 30s, according to one of my brain trainer games. I can usually get the counter down to about 10 or so, then the enemies enter ass-kicking mode, and I pretty much stay in the air and over the edges and can't recover.

Cheese it. Play as Donkey Kong, stand on one edge of the platform and keep doing his Down+B move. You won't get hit much and you'll rack up the easy kills. Try not to pick up the items that appear unless its right next to you or a Bob-bomb. This was how I did it, but yeah the last ten or so are tricky and I only got 100 even.

bobservo
03-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Man, SSE would have been so much better if the environments weren't so generic. I think the "earthy" aesthetic really sucks the life out of the game.

Brickroad
03-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Classic cleared with all characters (I think I have to do it with Samus, Zelda, Charizard and Squirtle still to get all the trophies though). I also unlocked my last stage this morning.

My next goal is to get through some of these target tests... I'm about six characters into Level 3.

SSE was great and ya'll is just hataz.

I'd love to hear the strategies you guys used to clear 15-minute Melee.

Gredlen
03-15-2008, 12:11 PM

I used the hammer in the challenges screen.

Octopus Prime
03-15-2008, 12:34 PM

That is a good strategy. I think I'm going to save the remaining Hammers for the "Play 100 Hours in Multiplayer" type thing. Not that I wouldn't end up doing that eventuly, I'm just impatient.

Also: For the life of me, I can't figure out what Gardevoire's attack is supposed to be. My best guess is that it acts like the Bubble Shield from Halo 3, in that people can wander though it easily and use melee attacks, but all projectiles are reflected. Of course, I've yet to see anyone use any ranged attacks when she's on screen, so I don't know.

Brickroad
03-15-2008, 01:43 PM

Nice!

keele864
03-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Well I went to visit some friends at school last night and brought the Wii. We spent half the time finishing SSE to unlock Sonic, who a friend of mine REALLY wanted to play as, then went into tournaments and random melees. I think we played about seven hours or so worth of Brawl...

The end of SSE is a pain, especially when a whole room of people is watching you and waiting for you to finish the damn thing so they can play (I was appointed Player 1 because I'm the apparently the best. Also: Co-Op is not terribly great in SSE). Things got better when the beers came out and we finally finished the Great Maze.

Now to unlock some more levels and those last three characters...

Last thing: I tried adding some people as friends on SSBB, but I'm not sure if anyone confirmed? I still get this "Awaiting Registration" message? Am I doing it wrong?

DeeMer
03-15-2008, 06:12 PM

I used Meta Knight: Stand under one of the side platforms and use Up+A as Alloys move above you. If a few congregate in front of you, a Side+B will usually clear them out. The neutral B tornado move can work, but it's not reliable. Make use of any Bumpers you find, and if you find any Uniras, put them on the platform above you. This will keep all but the Greens from reaching you until it runs out. Meta's Dash+A with the Beam Sword hits a good swath not only in front of him, but can also clear the side platforms easily, so if you pick one up dash back and forth swinging as long as you can.

Of course, killing Alloys incessantly spawns Alloys incessantly, so if you find an opportunity to stall for time, do it. If you find yourself with only 2 or 3 Alloys around and a paper fan, you can keep them stunlocked until your finger can't hit the A button anymore. But, if the kill counter is one below a multiple of 25, a non-Alloy could appear and they can escape from the fanlock, so beware.

It took me about 2.5 hours of trying this strategy to clear it. Bob-ombs will always mess you up.

mopinks
03-15-2008, 06:53 PM
No I'm pretty sure that the DK level from Melee that is in Brawl is the one that was in SSB64. The only difference is that I think the original had a launch barrel at the bottom of it, and the new one doesn't.

I can't confirm this though as I don't have a copy of either one at the moment.

nah, it's definitely the Melee original, Jungle Japes. featuring Cranky Kong silhouette cameo!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/JungleJapes.jpg

I like the SSB64 stage (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/Congojungle.jpg) a little better, but they're both too damned dark.

Jeanie
03-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Ahh!! That's the one I was thinking of. The problem I was having is that the small icon for both of them was so similar, I assumed...

Alastor
03-15-2008, 10:42 PM
So why is Mr. Game & Watch the only character who doesn't get name-dropped in SSE?

Torgo
03-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Incorrect. The shockwave is 100% dodgeable. If it wasn't, Boss Battle would be completely impossible, as you only get a single life to work with. You basically just need to stand on the ground and then dodge-roll three times to avoid the shockwave. Once you get the timing down with your character of choice, it should never hit you again.
So I just suck then.

Not really surprising. My timing with the dodge-roll is awful, so that explains it then, I guess.

wahoninja
03-16-2008, 12:46 AM
I've actually been having a ton of fun with the level editor. After a bunch of rounds, my friends and I will take turns making levels. Then we play a bunch more. Yay!

mopinks
03-16-2008, 01:24 AM
boy, Sonic's entrance in SSE was, uh... it boned.
I know we was added to the game well after the other characters, but they didn't have to make it so obvious!

Guy
03-16-2008, 01:46 AM
"What's up, guys? Hmmm, looks like you've just overcome a mountain of hardships culminating in a final battle with an omnipotent being of pure energy! Need a hand?"

wahoninja
03-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I thought the reveal of Dedede's intentions is ultra rad. Also the reveal that Kirby is okay is cute. It's completely bias that Hal characters are way more instrumental to the plot than characters like Mario and Link, but y'know, oh well.

Sarcasmorator
03-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I can't believe some of you guys are complaining about the plot. Not because it's good or anything, but because come on.

poetfox
03-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I have additional Smash question.

How do I turn off "pity smashes"? Because those are stupid and make my friends angry, whereas fighting over Smash balls is a fun past-time. Or am I just screwed in that regard?

Eusis
03-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm suspecting it's like assassinations in Halo 3 - they're always there whether you want them or not! Though I haven't really messed with the special brawls after the HP match going horribly.

Also, in regards to the SSE... I just find the HAL observation amusing, really. Sonic's entrance did bug me, but more for gameplay reasons. Come on, did you have to wait until the final match? I would've preferred the Giant Maze starting in a Sonic zone where you promptly grab him, or perhaps adding a similar cutscene against Tabuu for when you enter, forcing him to retreat or something. Most importantly, I wanted Sonic way before the final match so I could actually learn how to use him, and not learn to use a whole new character against one of the most obnoxious and cheap bosses there is.

Alixsar
03-16-2008, 05:00 PM
I have additional Smash question.

How do I turn off "pity smashes"? Because those are stupid and make my friends angry, whereas fighting over Smash balls is a fun past-time. Or am I just screwed in that regard?

Why would they make your friends angry? You only get them when you are losing horribly. They typically don't make a difference, and they let the person who uses it get in on the fun.

Tomm Guycot
03-16-2008, 05:02 PM
whining.

It doesn't force you to select him.