PDA

View Full Version : Should I get into Bowie?

juanfrugalj
03-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, just like that other thread. I always feel dumb whenever he shows up during random conversations.

So, what's the scoop? A suggested order would be nice.

Jeanie
03-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, just like that other thread. I always feel dumb whenever he shows up during random conversations.

So do you feel "Under Pressure"?

Anyway, try Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars.

Animate Nihilist
03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Wear a condom.

pence
03-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Hunky Dory and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars are both good starting points.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to turn as many people as possible on to Low. I love the first half, especially the instrumentals (keep in mind I'm only talking about the instrumentals on the first half).

When he wrote it, Bowie was sharing an apartment with Iggy Pop in Berlin, staying clean after multiple drug addiction problems, and it's some of the most creative music you'd never expect to hear from Ziggy or the Thin White Duke. Remember, kids, drugs won't make you a better musician!

Stiv
03-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Short answer is 'Yes'. Pick up anything and it'll be just fine. Heroes is good. So is whichever one that has Beauty and the Beast on it (which may or may not be the same album, I'm lazy).

Shadax
03-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Short answer is 'Yes'. Pick up anything and it'll be just fine. Heroes is good. So is whichever one that has Beauty and the Beast on it (which may or may not be the same album, I'm lazy).

That's on Heroes

Ziggy Stardust is where I started, but my personal favorite album (and my favorite album of the seventies) is Low

Sheana
03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
What Stiv said. Definitely yes, Bowie's another one of those musicians that influenced a lot of crap and made some pretty darn good music to boot. 'Hunky Dory' and 'Ziggy Stardust' are definitely good starting points, and fairly solid albums.

I'd also like to recommend 'Diamond Dogs'. It's my personal favorite Bowie album, and an interesting concept album.

chud_666
03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
I am not an afficiando, but Bowie kicks ass. do check out

Kishi
03-20-2008, 11:38 PM
For better symmetry with Tomm's thread, you should have called this, "Should I get into the Bowie?"

Sheana
03-20-2008, 11:42 PM
"Should I get into the Bowie?"

Quite a few people did, back in the day.

I'm sorry.

Calorie Mate
03-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Hunky Dory and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars are both good starting points.

This is the best adive for this kind of thing. I personally started with Ziggy, but both are awesome starting points.

taosterman
03-21-2008, 01:42 AM
I'd like to lodge a vote for Station to Station, home to a "Stay" remarkably superior to Lisa Loeb's. And trust me, do not pick up "just anything" by him - his albums between Scary Monsters and Reality (themselves being only slightly above average) are collectively almost completely devoid of redeeming moments.

Zarathustra
03-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Pick up anything and it'll be just fine.

That is a goddamn lie, Stiv. Never Let Me Down?

There's no harm in starting from the beginning, to get the fullest idea of his career growth and trajectory. It's all genuinely great music up 'til Let's Dance and then it's trickier. Hunky Dory, Ziggy and Station/Low/Heroes are absolute classics, as tired a term as that is. Space Oddity, Man Who Sold The World, Aladdin Sane, Lodger and Scary Monsters are completely excellent as hell, Pin Ups is an ok cover album and Diamond Dogs is has some wonderful songs, but the album is very Stonesy and less essential than those others.

Everything after 1980... it's cherry-picking time!

Edit: Totally off the cuff opinion about Diamond Dogs, by the way. I love it.

EDIIIIT: Actually, to narrow it down further, just get Hunky, Ziggy and Low. Download Young Americans. You might love the first 3 and not love the latter, but they collectively show every facet of Bowie's sounds.

Gredlen
03-21-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm glad to see this topic, as I recently heard Space Oddity and felt that maybe it's time for me to look into some David Bowie.

nadia
03-21-2008, 03:51 AM
He'll be very disappointed in you if you don't. (http://www.davidbowieisverydisappointedinyou.com/)

Kirin
03-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Alternatively, just watch the movie Labyrinth. Which is all about David Bowie and his Area.

Actually, to turn this into a serious question, if I actually liked his songs in Labyrinth but haven't gotten much else of his, does that change the answer as to which albums I should check out first?

(Then out in left field I also have his NIN collaboration, "I'm Afraid of Americans".)

Aquadeo
03-21-2008, 07:59 AM
After you've gotten into Bowie a bit (and you really should... he's less a man than a raw force of music), don't forget to watch "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou". I liked the song "Queen Bitch" before, but it shot to the top of my list after those end credits. QB, by the way, is on the album "Hunky Dory", which I have to agree is a good starting point.

I'm not as big a fan of "Ziggy Stardust", but I will say that when I'm singing along to it in the car, the "Five Years" is one of the best songs ever for messing around with harmonization.

Hm, no one's mentioned "Earthling" yet... probably with good reason, but since it's my favourite Bowie album, I'm compelled to defend it. The first time I heard the album, I hated it. *Loathed* it. I had to force myself to listen to it, but then, much like with Radiohead and Rheostatics, once I finally realised that all those strange noises are intentional, then I finally made the connection. Now, like I said, it's my favourite Bowie album, and a perfect example of why he earned the "Chameleon of Rock" moniker. (Also, my lab was undergoing ISO certification at the time, which made the lyric "I don't want knowledge... I want certainty" extra-delicious.) Anyway, even if you don't like the album, give "Dead Man Walking" a listen... that song makes me feel like I could run up the side of a building.

Octopus Prime
03-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Not really very relevent to the topic, but I named my dog after Ziggy Stardust

I like to mention that whenever the topic turns to either David Bowie or dogs...

Phat
03-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Man, fuck Bowie and the Beatles. Why doesn't someone ask if they should get into Queen?

The answer is yes. You should get into Queen.

Red Hedgehog
03-21-2008, 08:36 AM
I have nothing new to add, but...

Yes. Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars are good starting points.

I've always liked Bowie, but only recently "got into" him (as in listened to his full albums as opposed to enjoying an occasional song).

juanfrugalj
03-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Man, fuck Bowie and the Beatles. Why doesn't someone ask if they should get into Queen?

That's because I love Queen.

Octopus Prime
03-21-2008, 08:44 AM

The answer is yes. You should get into Queen.

Everyone is into Queen. The only possible reason why someone would not be into Queen is if they are among the few who had never heard them before.

Here we are, born to be kings.
We're the Princes of the Universe.

Phat
03-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Oh, good. I was worried for a second.

Paul le Fou
03-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Yes.

Speaking of Queen, Under Pressure is one of the best rock and roll songs ever created. I also love how it's an actual collaboration - it's not really by either of them feat. the other, it's by Queen AND David Bowie, and shows up on anthologies by both.

David Bowie is not my favorite rocker, but he is my favorite to sing at Karaoke.

Brickroad
03-21-2008, 12:32 PM
David Bowie is not my favorite rocker, but he is my favorite to sing at Karaoke.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Sheana
03-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Outside of the title track and 'Fame', I've never liked Young Americans. Most of it sounds kinda the same and it's boring quasi-soul to me. That might be a hard-sell album for a newbie.

Bowie's music worked quite well in Life Aquatic. Even the Portugeuse stuff. Bowie's music works quite well with a lot of things.

Also, be sure to check out his music videos on Youtube sometime. Bowie was one of the first to do promotional music video type stuff (Beatles were the first, naturally), and he did a lot of revolutionary things as well.

I think this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FlK0zoQJU4) was one of Bowie's very first broadcast performances on TV? 'Round about the Hunky Dory days, just before Ziggy mania. There was a collective 'WTF' from the nation of Britain when a strange, androgenous, odd-eyed fangy creature suddenly showed up on their TV screens.

gamin
03-21-2008, 03:09 PM
After you've gotten into Bowie a bit (and you really should... he's less a man than a raw force of music), don't forget to watch "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou".

Very much agreed, although for me it went the opposite direction. My love of The Life Aquatic and its soundtrack was what got me into David Bowie.

Matchstick
03-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Yes.

Speaking of Queen, Under Pressure is one of the best rock and roll songs ever created. I also love how it's an actual collaboration - it's not really by either of them feat. the other, it's by Queen AND David Bowie, and shows up on anthologies by both.

Agreed. It's definitely among my favorite songs by both entities and also one of my favorite rock songs ever. The build-up near the end that starts with "Cause love's such an old fashioned word..." fills me with an overwhelming sense of joy and wonder pretty much every time I hear it. I've agitated for this song to appear in a rhythm game ever since GH1 came out with Killer Queen in it.

As far as Bowie is concerned, I've always dug Ziggy Stardust and Let's Dance (Stevie Ray and Omar Hakim - yes, please) and then been a bit of a tourist aside from that only due to the variability of his later output. I'm filled with shame for that.

locit
03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
On a sadly related note all they have at the places around here is "Let's Dance," which I've always found supremely underwhelming.

As for the topic, YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

However, you should avoid the album Black Tie White Noise at all costs, even those greater than buying it.

Paul le Fou
03-21-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2L98gobTQ

I feel like this is as good a place to post this as any.

Also, my juuhachiban is Under Pressure, followed closely by Space Oddity. I will meet anyone at a karaoke place and prove the shit out of this statement.

Alixsar
03-23-2008, 02:43 PM
OH SNAP HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?!

Okay, okay. We have a lot of work to do. First of all, yes you should get into Bowie. I would recommend you listen to it all, but that's obviously a bit of an undertaking. If you only want to listen to the absolutely essential albums, then listen to these in this order:
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Diamond Dogs
Station to Station
"Heroes"
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
Let's Dance
Earthling (if you like techno/drum and bass/electronic...stuff, if not then you can skip it)
hours
Heathen
Reality

I had to cut out some really good albums, but I would argue that that's the list of "essential" Bowie albums. The Man Who Sold the World, Young Americans, Low, and Lodger are really damn great though. If you have more time/money, I'd add those to the list.

You can skip most of Bowie's late 80s/early 90s stuff though. It's alright, but...not really worth it. Tin Machine was just a bad idea. Outside is an interesting concept for an album, but if you don't like industrial stuff then you won't dig it. Pin Ups is a cover album, so screw that. And David Bowie and Space Oddity are great, but most of his stuff that came after eclipses it so you can skip it if you need to. Again, I would argue that you should listen to all of it anyway (because even "bad" Bowie is better than most other music), but it's really a matter of how much time/money you want to invest.

You should also watch Labyrinth. Best movie ever.

Ben1842
03-23-2008, 02:47 PM
He does a pretty bitchin' version of The Little Drummer Boy. What else do you need to know really?

locit
03-23-2008, 02:56 PM
(because even "bad" Bowie is better than most other music)
Dude, "Pallas Athena." Come on.

juanfrugalj
03-23-2008, 02:56 PM
(Good stuff)

Thanks. That was helpful.

You should also watch Labyrinth. Best movie ever.

It was alright, but I missed the first 10-15 minutes and I didn't know why Jennifer Connelly was trying to rescue that kid in the first place.

Balrog
03-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I love Bowie. Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust are my favorite and pretty safe bets for anyone starting out. His 80's stuff is good too but if you don't like 80's music you probably won't like it, it's very 80's. A bit of an aside but Lou Reed and T Rex are in the same musical spectrum as far as the 70's are concerned and those are good as well...

Alixsar
03-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks. That was helpful.

You're welcome.

It was alright, but I missed the first 10-15 minutes and I didn't know why Jennifer Connelly was trying to rescue that kid in the first place.

It's a great family film. That kid is her brother, and she's some bookworm who accidentally wishes him away. David Bowie takes the kid and tells her that if she can solve the labyrinth she can have him back.

When I watch it now, I like to pretend that Jennifer Connelly's character is the same as her character in Requiem for a Dream, and that the whole movie a crazed, drug-induced hallucination.

Dude, "Pallas Athena." Come on.

I was talking about albums and not individual songs. Generally speaking, "bad" Bowie albums usually have more going on in them than some of the "best" albums other bands have to offer. But still, I get what you're saying. And you're right. There's a reason why Black Tie White Noise isn't on the "essential" list I made. It's definitely not his best work.

Also, here's a Fun David Bowie Fact™: David Bowie has worked with a billion different artists. Robert Fripp (or King Crimson fame) played lead guitar on "Heroes", and roughly half of Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps). Adrian Belew (also of King Crimson fame) played lead guitar on Lodger. Tony Levin (King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment, Peter Gabriel etc.) played on Heathen, Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater) played on Heathen, Pete Townshend (of The Who) has played on a few albums, Tina Turner was on Tonight, Iggy Pop had a hand in several albums...the list goes on. So if you're ever listening to Bowie and you think "Hey, that kind of sounds like *person's name*", chances are it probably is.

Edit: Honestly, I can/probably will talk about David Bowie for hours, so be sure to tell me when it gets unbearable.

wumpwoast
03-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Responding to all the "Get Into" threads here... yeah, Bowie is great and interesting and all. So are the Beatles. So's Pink Floyd. Honestly. Really.

But damnit guys, listen to music for the sake of enjoyment. Don't just learn about Bowie or the Beatles because of their significance or impact or reknown. There are so many zillions of great artists out there who aren't world famous or cross-dressing attention whores that should get your attention too.

My feeling is that "getting into" a well-known artist is the cultural equivalent of a circle-jerk. There is no productive "culture-creating" activity that goes into discovering most Bowie albums. These waters have been explored millions of other times. But if you find something new and share it with the world, you're potentially creating a splinter of fresh culture and interpretation. Not just for yourself, but for everybody you talk to.

Despite what I just said, please -- get into whoever the hell you want. Just do it for the right reasons. And the more effort you put into finding something you like, I guarantee you -- the more you will appreciate all music, well-known artists or not.

Aquadeo
03-24-2008, 09:05 AM
A fair and valid point, wumpwoast. I get what you're saying. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-XXgQY6xKA) But I look at these threads as the musical equivalent of someone not knowing what the big deal is about "Citizen Kane" until they sit down to see it. Before they do that, all they know is "Rosebud". After they see it, they won't give up on their favourite movies (but if they really do love Citizen Kane, good for them), but they'll understand a bit more about the filmmakers that have followed in its footsteps.

Similarly, Bowie and the Beatles have been so relentlessly diluted by classic rock radio and Toyota commercials, that it's created the honest question of whether or not they really deserve all this glory that's been accorded to them (much like how someone would think "Rosebud" isn't really that great of a quote). Just because the answer (for most people) is yes doesn't it any less honest.

Calorie Mate
03-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Also, here's a Fun David Bowie Fact™: David Bowie has worked with a billion different artists. Robert Fripp (or King Crimson fame) played lead guitar on "Heroes", and roughly half of Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps). Adrian Belew (also of King Crimson fame) played lead guitar on Lodger. Tony Levin (King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment, Peter Gabriel etc.) played on Heathen, Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater) played on Heathen, Pete Townshend (of The Who) has played on a few albums, Tina Turner was on Tonight, Iggy Pop had a hand in several albums...the list goes on. So if you're ever listening to Bowie and you think "Hey, that kind of sounds like *person's name*", chances are it probably is.

Edit: Honestly, I can/probably will talk about David Bowie for hours, so be sure to tell me when it gets unbearable.

This reminds me: if anyone can help me find Bowie's mix of Iggy and the Stooges' "Raw Power" album, please, please let me know.

(For those of you that care, since Iggy and Bowie were buddies back in 1971, and Iggy didn't want anyone changing his music, the label and Iggy compromised to let Bowie do the final mixing. Unfortunately, in the early 90's Iggy did his own mix for a 20th anniversary repressing, and the louder Iggy mix is the only one you can find in stores / on the internet these days. It's my favorite album, but a lot of people say they prefer the Bowie mix, and I've been trying to track it down, in whatever format...legal or otherwise...I can find. It hasn't been going so well.)

wumpwoast
03-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Similarly, Bowie and the Beatles have been so relentlessly diluted by classic rock radio and Toyota commercials, that it's created the honest question of whether or not they really deserve all this glory that's been accorded to them (much like how someone would think "Rosebud" isn't really that great of a quote). Just because the answer (for most people) is yes doesn't it any less honest.

Very well stated.

I'm not sure the question (do they deserve attention?) is very important from a listener's standpoint... but that won't stop someone being curious about an artist which they know by name and not by sound. I've posed the same "why should I care"-type questions before too, and I can appreciate this thread on that basis.

But the distressing truth here is that folks aren't curious about the music without first encountering a name. Which means people will pass over epic space-rock-opera by Ayreon, or the Faith No More meets Jesus Christ Superstar drama of Pain of Salvation -- because who the hell are all those bands?

The important thing is finding music that you like, whatever it is. I think it's better to ask what characteristics of music you want to hear (instruments, tone, structure, lyrics, etc), and look for those descriptions rather than just band names.

Sheana
03-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Don't forget John Lennon co-writing and singing in the background of 'Fame'!

Bowie also produced and helped a lot of other musicians out, too. He just sat down and wrote 'All The Yound Dudes' on the fly and give it to Mott The Hoople for free. He also produced Lou Reed's most famous album, Transformer. You can hear him singing in the background of 'Satellite Of Love', and I think other songs. It was also his idea to have the saxaphone in 'Walk On The Wild Side', which was actually performed by Bowie's childhood sax teacher.

He's produced other albums and performed with all sorts of people. Bowie's pretty much been everywhere.

Alixsar
03-24-2008, 03:48 PM
The important thing is finding music that you like, whatever it is. I think it's better to ask what characteristics of music you want to hear (instruments, tone, structure, lyrics, etc), and look for those descriptions rather than just band names.

Well, I think that's what we're doing here. He obviously was curious and wouldn't bother to ask about David Bowie unless if it was something he already wanted to do. It's something he was already pretty sure he'd like, but wasn't sure where to start since there's so much stuff Bowie has made. Same with Tomm and The Beatles thread. Wouldn't you want some advice on where to begin? Bowie's made 23 studio albums. That's a lot of music, and some of it is admittedly not that great. Juan just needed a starting point, that's all.

Meditative_Zebra
02-21-2013, 09:36 PM
As an experiment to see if I can prompt a response from our resident Bowie expert I'm going to post my top five favorite Bowie songs. In alphabetical order they are:

Bring Me the Disco King*
Fascination
Five Years
Space Oddity
Ziggy Stardust

* I prefer the Lohner remix but the version from Reality is also worthwhile.
So this is what Flawgic feels like when he performs threadcromancy. It feels surprisingly....good.

taosterman
02-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Bowie at Home (http://vine.co/v/b6qd6pjmi3i)

Sanagi
02-21-2013, 10:23 PM
David Bowie is a musician I haven't delved into as much as I should, so I'm going to follow some of the suggestions in this thread. I know the Bowie song by Flight of the Conchords better than any actual David Bowie song and that should probably be illegal.
Well, I think that's what we're doing here. He obviously was curious and wouldn't bother to ask about David Bowie unless if it was something he already wanted to do. It's something he was already pretty sure he'd like, but wasn't sure where to start since there's so much stuff Bowie has made. Same with Tomm and The Beatles thread. Wouldn't you want some advice on where to begin? Bowie's made 23 studio albums. That's a lot of music, and some of it is admittedly not that great. Juan just needed a starting point, that's all.
Yeah, and also, sometimes I hear a song, like 16 Military Wives, and think "Well, I clearly don't need to hear any more of that." It takes an intervention by someone in the know to say "Wait, the Decemberists are actually really good. Here's The Crane Wife, listen to that."

Alixsar
02-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Everything you need to know about Bowie. (http://www.talking-time.net/showpost.php?p=292797&postcount=33)

That said, I am super pumped for the new album.

Teaspoon
02-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Space Oddity would have to be my favourite for a whole host of complicated reasons, but turning it into a children's picture book is too adorable for words (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/08/space-oddity-childrens-book/).

Oh, and has anyone seen this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEmGQYCuc6M) yet? Lost footage they only found last year in someone's garage; he was still writing the song at the time so the lyrics are a bit different.

taosterman
02-21-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm excited, mostly because "I enjoyed his last three albums" isn't something I've been able to say since 1980, when I wasn't born yet.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-21-2013, 10:48 PM
OH SNAP HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?!

Okay, okay. We have a lot of work to do. First of all, yes you should get into Bowie. I would recommend you listen to it all, but that's obviously a bit of an undertaking. If you only want to listen to the absolutely essential albums, then listen to these in this order:
Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Diamond Dogs
Station to Station
"Heroes"
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
Let's Dance
Earthling (if you like techno/drum and bass/electronic...stuff, if not then you can skip it)
hours
Heathen
Reality

Reality sucks, other than that this list is surprisingly not full of shit by Alixsar standards.

Zarathustra
02-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Hell yeah, motherfucker.

Station to Station is the greatest bowie album.

chud_666
02-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Cat People.

Googleshng
02-21-2013, 11:26 PM
When I watch it now, I like to pretend that Jennifer Connelly's character is the same as her character in Requiem for a Dream, and that the whole movie a crazed, drug-induced hallucination.

And then after her psychotic break here, she got shipped off to europe (http://www.kekkai.org/google/cs/phenomena.shtml)...

But seriously, music wise, I wouldn't call Labyrinth's soundtrack particularly representative of Bowie.

Büge
02-22-2013, 06:58 AM
And then after her psychotic break here, she got shipped off to europe (http://www.kekkai.org/google/cs/phenomena.shtml)...

What are you talking about? She spent the night in a Target with the janitor, doing soul-searching and fighting off robbers.

ajr82
02-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Alixsar's right, Scary Monsters is so good.

taosterman
02-22-2013, 08:18 AM
I love the cover of Pablo Picasso on Reality. It barely even qualifies as a cover, honestly, so much as a demented reappropriation of the lyrics.

Also this thread should be in the music subforum, Labyrinth notwithstanding.

Alixsar
02-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Reality sucks, other than that this list is surprisingly not full of shit by Alixsar standards.

You suck.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
No, no you're getting confused again.

Heathen is a secret masterpiece though.

taosterman
02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
I like the first three songs on Reality a lot as well as Bring Me the Disco King, but have trouble remembering the rest. I used to dislike Heathen but I revisited it recently and it's smooth and well-written as fuck. Definitely a grower.

Low needs to be on that essentials list. And I'm really glad to see the side-two Eno stuff from the Berlin albums described in such positive terms; I used to spend time online in the company of music reviewers who would knee-jerk write it off because lol ambient.

ajr82
02-22-2013, 11:11 AM
It's funny, I love Low and Lodger, but I've never really been into "Heroes", title track aside.

Alixsar
02-22-2013, 11:36 AM
No, no you're getting confused again.

Heathen is a secret masterpiece though.

Well at least we can agree on that. But in my mind, the two albums come from a similar place. Reality's not the best, but I still think it's worth a listen.

Low needs to be on that essentials list. And I'm really glad to see the side-two Eno stuff from the Berlin albums described in such positive terms; I used to spend time online in the company of music reviewers who would knee-jerk write it off because lol ambient.

Well I put Heroes on there, and Heroes/Low/Lodger are a sort of a trilogy, so I didn't want to overemphasize that stage of his career. Heroes is my favorite of the three, but Low is damn close. Sound and Vision is a fantastic song. Lodger is kind of "Eh", though. I mean, it's good but definitely the weakest of the three.

taosterman
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Well I put Heroes on there, and Heroes/Low/Lodger are a sort of a trilogy, so I didn't want to overemphasize that stage of his career. Heroes is my favorite of the three, but Low is damn close. Sound and Vision is a fantastic song. Lodger is kind of "Eh", though. I mean, it's good but definitely the weakest of the three.

Yup, aforementioned reviewer colleagues would often overrate Lodger just because it's the only Berlin album that's all traditional songs. But they're just not as good! Look Back in Anger is pretty killer though. And I've never heard anything quite like African Night Flight.

ajr82
02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
"Look Back In Anger" always seemed like it would fit way better on Scary Monsters than on Lodger. It's the same sort of maximalist pop as "Teenage Wildlife" or "Scream Like A Baby".

Teaspoon
02-22-2013, 07:10 PM
For all those who like "Low" as much as I do: the start of the Phillip Glass remix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxhIkc5gthI). By which I mean an entire symphony.

There's some more about it here (http://www.philipglass.com/music/recordings/low_symphony.php). I've got the Dennis Russell Davies on my computer; it is exactly as awesome as you think a classical music rendition of Bowie and Brian Eno ought to be.

Evil Dead Junkie
02-22-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm with Dizzy, Teaspoon you need to keep posting here.

Teaspoon
02-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks!

On a related note, I've always thought that Lulu's rendition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyFAnA9oPRE) of "The Man Who Sold the World" is one of the few covers of Bowie songs that packs as much of a wallop as the original. It was apparently his idea during the Pin Ups album (which has always amused me for its selection of songs no one else would have picked from those artists, with the obvious exception of "See Emily Play"). It was a couple of months later that Eon Productions asked her to do "The Man With the Golden Gun", so the whole masculine gun barrel aesthetic is something of a coincidence, really. Still fab though.

Alixsar
02-24-2013, 12:23 AM
I'd never heard that before, but I thought it was pretty awful. That Phillip Glass thing is awesome though, naturally, since Glass is awesome as hell.

He also did Heroes as a symphony as well (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66jTYrEjs3A). And Aphex Twin did a remix of it that I forgot about until just now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjBcNU1UZUs) that I really like. It's not perfect, but I like it anyway.

Edit: Fuuuuuuck I forgot how good the Sons of the Silent Age (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6QEusTeBn4) cover is. Fuuuuuuuckkkkkk! I totally had this album, too! What the hell happened to it? Why don't I still own this and had completely forgotten about it until now?