PDA

View Full Version : Selection for Societal Sanity: Metal Gear 2 - Solid Snake

Parish
03-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Now that Metal Gear Collection is out, no one has an excuse not to have access to a copy of this one. Play it in Subsistence, play it in the Collection, play it in an emulator, buy the $200 MSX2 game and be hardcore. Whatever.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Konami | Stealth Action | MSX / PS2 | 1990

Let's march onward. I think newcomers will be surprised by just how similar this game is to MGS... and how many infuriating design flaws it has. Also, how the super-awesome Big Boss dies in the chumpiest manner imaginable.

Eusis
03-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Now that Metal Gear Collection is out, no one has an excuse not to have access to a copy of this one.
Actually it's not there! They apparently just cut out the second disc entirely for the collection rather than simply edit out the online.

djSyndrome
03-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Actually it's not there! They apparently just cut out the second disc entirely for the collection rather than simply edit out the online.

He's right. (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/860/860894p1.html)

Which, of course, makes this an immediate no sale.

Parish
03-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Um. Well, let's press on regardless.

(Those dumbasses.)

Sarcasmorator
03-21-2008, 07:51 PM
New Game + updated to reflect this travesty.

Dynastic Bird
03-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Well, there went my reason for buying the Essential thing. I already have Snake Eater and thought getting MGS1 and Subsistence for only $30 was a good deal. Ah well...

Eusis
03-21-2008, 08:24 PM
You will get the Subsistence version of Snake Eater... But you may as well try to find a straight copy of Subsistence anyway, since going by eBay it hasn't gotten more expensive than it was in the first place, and the original MGS is dirt cheap.

I'll probably still get this, I want a fresh copy of MGS1 and I only have the Xbox version of MGS2.

Adrenaline
03-21-2008, 10:07 PM
New Game + updated to reflect this travesty.

It still says that it includes the original

Alex
03-22-2008, 01:26 AM
I always liked that the first boss was your friend from the first game. It's always refreshing to have continuity within the series. Even if Metal Gear Solid tacks on some exposition that doesn't actually happen here.

Kishi
03-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Also, how the super-awesome Big Boss dies in the chumpiest manner imaginable.

As chumpy as Big Boss's death is for him, it's proportionally badass that Solid Snake is able to take down the greatest soldier of the twentieth century using such improbable means.

Tomm Guycot
03-22-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm always amazed at how much stuff from this game is in MGS.

Sarcasmorator
03-22-2008, 10:18 AM
It still says that it includes the original

Shut up shut up SHUT UP!!

I mean, fixed.

Tomm Guycot
03-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Also, I think it speaks to how powerful MGS3 was that suddenly we can be bothered that Big Boss "went out like a chump."

estragon
03-22-2008, 05:19 PM
The invisible path through the swamp sequence is one of the worst atrocities of game design ever.

estragon
03-23-2008, 05:46 AM
Okay, I finished it. That was fascinating.

Compared to the first game, it felt like this was designed to allow the player to actually play it stealthily, so overall it was more fun. Also, some of the more obnoxious gameplay flaws were fixed. For example, the card system was still annoying, but the game was generous enough to condense three numbered cards into one colored card, which made it a little more user friendly.

At the same time, the game was a lot more ambitious in a way that made the enormous gap between hardware and the designer's intent more obvious if you've played the MGS games. All of the boss fights after the big story event on the bridge demonstrated some pretty awesome ideas that were impossible to execute on the MSX. For example, the incredibly boring battle against the sniper who hides in the jungle-ish room seemed like an incredibly simplified version of the fight with The End, and the fight against the steal guy who was like proto-The Fear. Both were interesting concepts that were just boring and gimicky on MSX but great when fleshed out in MGS3.

Considering how short it is though, I'd say this is definitely worth a play through for any Metal Gear fan. The first game seems like just a vague sketch of an idea, but here you can really see what they're trying to do, even if they fail to achieve their goals pretty thoroughly.

Jakanden
03-24-2008, 04:50 AM
I just finished replaying MGS3 again and was planning to start on this tonight. I need to finish it pretty quick as this is a big game week for me (Ninja Gaiden DS, Dark Sector and Crisis Core).

Gredlen
03-24-2008, 05:11 AM
I tried emulating this game way back, but I dropped it quickly because it felt a little archaic.
Trying to emulate it this time around was a bit of a hassle, but I persevered.

I got inside the base and wandered around for a while before someone spotted me. I ran and crawled under some platform, but that didn't do any good since they saw me hide. So I crawled back out, punched some fools to bloody death, and ran to another screen. Where there was nowhere to hide. In retrospect, I should've just gone back under the platform. A swarm of enemies came at me and shot me with their pellet guns. Thus Snake died on 1F.

Kishi
03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
I find the controls much less clunky when playing the Subsistence port. Despite the keyboard being the original input medium, the DualShock makes things much more fluid.

As for getting spotted, the game really demands that you watch your radar. Unlike later games, there's no blue cone to limit the guards' line of sight; instead, they can see clear across a single screen, so you have to keep vigilant of any errant dots about to wander within the boundaries of yours.

Warg
03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
The first time I played through this game (Subsistence version), I'd play it late at night, and would fall asleep for rather lengthy periods of time. I think my time count was somewhere over thirty hours, earning me the codename of Turtle.

(... which would be welcome if of the ninja variety -- but sadly, it isn't.)

I haven't gotten around to another playthrough just yet -- but I've been meaning to do so, just to see how long it actually takes for me to play.

Before I start on a replay, though -- when I played before, I noticed that the music synth in this game actually sounds a lot like the synth in TG-16 games (at least from what I've heard from videos on the Wii VC site).

Some searching on Wikipedia reveals that the original MG2 cartridge had a special sound chip, the Konami SCC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_SCC). I wonder if the sound capabilities of both are similar.

Kishi
03-26-2008, 10:31 PM
MG2 was apparently Konami's final game for the MSX, so it follows that it's also their most advanced. It also adds a bit of poignancy to the story bits that actually acknowledge the awkward little computer-console.

Warg
03-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Just a minor nitpick, and I don't know if you guys would agree on this one -- but in the PS2 version, it would've also been nice had the save screens, control scheme screen, and end-result screen been done in the same style as the rest of the game, instead of using the default, high-res, brown MGS3 style.

As it is, it's a bit jarring to come to inconsistently-styled screens every time I save; it kinda takes me out of the feeling that I'm playing a retro game. I mean, if they were able to do it for the names flashed on the screen on the Boss Survival mode -- which, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_2#Ports), was new for this updated version (even if it was made first for the Mobile Phone version) -- they could've done it for the rest, no?

[The only thing is -- regarding the high-res font, I at least understand that the higher resolution for the Japanese version made the Kanji easier to read, so I feel I can let that slide. With the Roman Alphabet, though, if they had a higher-res font, they could have at least made it properly anti-aliased.]

Again, though, minor nitpick, and not really important in the grand scheme.

Warg
03-31-2008, 09:43 AM
One more comment (a couple of days later):

It's actually rather amazing how this game is leaps and bounds above the original. Aside from the improvement in technology (graphics and music) -- this one also had much better direction, with better plot twists and the use of emotion (and appropriate music to match). [I guess Kojima & his team had some good practice, having designed a more story-oriented game between the two Metal Gear games.]

Even small decisions, like the decision to change around the background music for locations after different story triggers, made old areas feel somewhat fresh when there was a need to backtrack.

Parish
04-01-2008, 10:31 AM
So, I guess people don't like Metal Gear 2.