PDA

View Full Version : Stranger Than Fiction

Zef
07-02-2007, 10:07 PM
I'd just like to say that I watched Stranger Than Fiction (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420223/) yesterday, and my God what an amazing movie. Any aspiring writer should identify with Ema Thompson's Karen, and, as much as I used to dislike Will Ferrel, he really came through in this movie.

It hit a bit too close to home --like Harold, I too tend to keep a slightly OC tally of objects, actions and events around me, so the instant his "GUI" showed up I was mesmerized by the character. His own life was also frighteningly realistic, I have to say. So when the movie reached its climax, it was disquieting how much I projected onto him.

However, as much as I sympathized with Harold and the bleakness of his situation, it was Karen's side of the climax that made me choke with tears. She comes off as a loon and a neurotic during her "research," but damned if that scene (set in contrast to Harold's) didn't get to me. The director made an excellent choice in having her use a mechanical typewriter rather than a word processor.

Anyone else seen it? Your thoughts? I get the feeling that this one will become a Groundhog Day (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107048/)-like sleeper classic, if there's such a thing. I know I'll buy it as soon as I can get back to the video store, even though I just returned it to Blockbuster today.

Mightyblue
07-02-2007, 10:35 PM
It's one of the best movies I've seen in the last five years or so, yeah. I enjoyed it immensely, and the way both Karen's and Harold's characters are fleshed out are excellent.

I think the way the ending went down had a greater impact because of how Karen acted in contrast to everyone's expectations. Things could have ended the way she originally planned and it would have still been an excellent tragicomedy, but yeah...trying not to spoil too much beyond saying the ending is excellent.

shivam
07-02-2007, 10:38 PM
one of my favorite movies ever.

"I brought you flours."

the actors were all brilliant, the emotional edge wonderful, and the climax touching. Seriously underrated, and seriously awesome.

Parish
07-02-2007, 10:50 PM
This movie made me angry. I'm supposed to hate Will Ferrel! He is supposed to infuriate me with his doughy, never-outgrew-the-fraternit shenanigans! But no, he was incredibly restrained and incredibly sympathetic in this movie. I really enjoyed it.

Balrog
07-03-2007, 06:02 AM
PROTIP: Maggie Gyllenhaal + cookies = hawt

Deadguy2322
07-03-2007, 06:31 AM
That was definitely one of the best movies I have seen in the last year.

Jakanden
07-03-2007, 06:51 AM
I am personally not a fan of Will Ferrell at all. Out of all his movies, the only ones I really enjoyed were Old School and Elf. However, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie and specifically how much I liked him in it. Definitely one of the must-see films of that year.

VsRobot
07-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Donnie Darko's sister is, as previously stated, hot.

Go rent Secretary. You're welcome.

Kolbe
07-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Is one of the best movies I've seen in some time. Totally fell in love with it.

Sarcasmorator
07-03-2007, 08:03 AM
I have one complaint. This book she's writing is supposed to be so good that Dustin Hoffman advises Will Ferrell to die so that its greatness might be revealed to the world. But the thing is, if you've been watching the movie then you've been hearing the text of this book spoken aloud, and it's not that good.

But you know, suspension of disbelief works wonders. Great movie.

shivam
07-03-2007, 09:19 AM
i dunno, it's totally awesome text for a good postmodernist story, the kind of book that a college professor would read and love to death and then assign to his second year students to read and write papers about, but that wouldnt really sell outside of the literati, like books by Don Delillo.

nathan
07-03-2007, 12:33 PM
What I enjoyed most was the underlying theme of 'just be nice and respect one another'. It was so simple that I almost missed it. It hit me after I watched it, and I realized that you don't really see much modern media trying to tell a sweet story about how awesome humans can be to each other. But it wasn't put across in a 'hippie' peace/love way either.

Just that life can be a daily grind and routine unless you let people in. I know this isn't the main focus of the movie but it's what I got out of the initial viewing.

I can't wait to watch it again.

nathan
07-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Donnie Darko's sister is, as previously stated, hot.

Go rent Secretary. You're welcome.
Or Cherry Baby. That's quite a movie right there. Throws you through an emotional ringer.

Kupek
07-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Enjoyed it in the theater (every subtle joke), reckognized it's brilliance when I saw again on DVD. Will Ferrel was the perfect choice for Harold, and his understated performance makes the movie. (All of the performances are enjoyable, particulary Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman, but we already knew they were this good.) The entire "I brought you flours" scene is my favorite for its humor and sincerity. It is perfectly written and works because the performances are so good. You can see that Harold is genuine, and read the changing emotions on Ana's face as she realizes that he's genuine.

Any cheesiness in the ending is saved by Karen's poignant explanation.

Kupek
07-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Just thought of this: Stranger Than Fiction is probably the best romantic comedy I have seen because it is both funny and romantic, but does not cheapen itself by trying to be a part of the Romantic Comedy genre.

(I really like this movie.)

philliam
07-03-2007, 12:55 PM
my friend refuses to see this movie, i have no idea why

i've never seen it though

thomp538
07-03-2007, 01:04 PM
This was my first Bad Religion album

Red Hedgehog
07-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't quite have the reverance for the movie that many seem to, but I do think it was quite good. As was pointed out, it has a relatively simple message that is subtley told. Good performances by everone in it, too. It failed to get over whatever hump is required for me to consider it greatness, but that's not a slight since it was definitely very good. Which is nice because the previews for it weren't promising at all.

Merus
07-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I liked how the 'obvious' climax was when Harold met his author, and how the movie went for thirty minutes after that and really took its premise out to dinner. It's as if the writer sat down and looked at his 70 page script and asked 'what happens next?' and just kept going until the answer was 'not much, really'.