PDA

View Full Version : FC 19: Crisis Core | Pt. 1 - SOLDIER 2nd Class

Parish
03-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey kids, it's the only good thing to come from the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII! Gather 'round and enjoy this silk purse.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Square Enix | Action | PSP | 2008

This thread is for the first half of the game, see. Mark your spoilers, even though we all know that Zack buys the farm in the end.

Gredlen
03-25-2008, 12:14 PM
The opening cinematic was one thing. The part right after that, where Zack stands around talking on his cellphone while a bunch of soldiers 10 feet away completely miss him for 20 seconds was just too much. I'm really glad the worst offenders end up being VR segments, though.
I got to the second one in the Japanese version, but I wasn't sure if that was a trend or a coincidence.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to buying this game.

shivam
03-25-2008, 12:16 PM
picking mine up tonight!

Parish
03-25-2008, 12:23 PM
The first hour of the game is about 90% stupidity. It definitely gets better from there, or else I would have panned it with every fiber of my being.

djSyndrome
03-25-2008, 12:30 PM
picking mine up tonight!

You're not allowed to pl....

Wait, what? Since when did you care about any Final Fantasy that wasn't set in Ivalice?

TheSL
03-25-2008, 12:42 PM
So is this already in stores today? I've still got a bit of spending money since I didn't bother to buy the $80 Sony HDMI cables with my PS3 and I've been sitting on the fence over this game.

djSyndrome
03-25-2008, 12:44 PM
So is this already in stores today?

It's at least at GameStop; I picked up my copy at lunchtime.

fanboymaster
03-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Picking up my copy this afternoon, maybe I'll learn to participate.

Jakanden
03-25-2008, 01:24 PM
I am about an hour and a half in (played at lunch and on bus home) and I am surprised by how much I am digging it. Even though I am not a huge fan of VII, I have to admit that it is cool hearing the remixed music and seeing things from the original game such as the Motorcycle in the Shinra building.

The combat system is pretty basic, but I understand it gets better as you get more Materia. I am not super crazy about the wheel and the random effects, I have to admit that it adds a cool element and I bet will save your ass quite a bit throughout the game. It seems like one of those things that will grow on me after I get used to it.

pence
03-25-2008, 01:31 PM
So far I've been equipping to maximize my physical damage and just mashing Attack / Assault Twister, and Cure when my HP gets low. The first 90 minutes have been pretty enjoyable, but I'm glad I already know these places from FF7. I don't get the impression that these small maps are tied together in a larger world... except I already know that they are.

Odin
03-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I have the Japanese copy (I know, backlog much?) and I'll join you guys sometime later. Once I play a little more Shiren I have this lovely copy of Metroid Prime 3 that just hit a couple weeks ago you see...

Jakanden
03-25-2008, 02:49 PM
So far I've been equipping to maximize my physical damage and just mashing Attack / Assault Twister, and Cure when my HP gets low.

This is pretty much what I was doing as well. I just picked up Barrier which is also a big help.

Parish
03-25-2008, 03:05 PM
So far I've been equipping to maximize my physical damage and just mashing Attack / Assault Twister, and Cure when my HP gets low.
You're gonna be in for a nasty surprise when that stops working, i.e. when you start facing enemies who attack in large groups and can put you down in two or three hits. Sooner or later that ol' reaper man gets us all, unless we learn to do a rolling dodge.

JohnB
03-25-2008, 03:36 PM
I sold my PSP eons ago, as I needed the money and couldn't justify keeping it to play this game which wouldn't come out for another year+. Is it worth picking up a PSP for? I mostly used my old psp to emulate SNES and genesis games (YAY beating Shining Force II for the umpteenth time). I mean, I do honestly doubt it- Crisis Core is hardly earthshattering, just a good game for a tepid console... but I really did enjoy FF7, I love the idea behind this battle system, and I haven't sullied those ff7 memories by replaying it any time in the last (at least) six years. If I got a good deal on a used PSP... should I pull the trigger?

I'd probably play the FFT remake as well, since I didn't even get past the first battle on the PS1. I know, the horror, heathen, etc.

Jakanden
03-25-2008, 04:09 PM
When doing the missions, by the time I finish a Very Hard one I find myself low on AP, MP and HP but I don't see anyway to restore it other than to fail a mission or use items. Is there any kind of place to restore it?

O..O~
03-25-2008, 04:39 PM
I still have no damn clue what is going on whenever the wheel starts spinning. Its the video game equilivant of me watching an anime with me staring blankly at the screen and saying "What the fuck?!".

So far the only reason I am trudging through is because I have wanted to see Zack's story for ages. I loved ff7 when I was 9 and playing it, but god I hated cloud. He was too angry and moody. Then when it was revealedthat he stole the majorty of his identity from zackI hated him even more. Thats actually the only part of that game that has aged well to me, it was awesome when I was a 9 year old and didn't know about generic jrpg plots but when I hit 15 and discovered how cliche it was, ick. I still feel like an idiot for liking the story so much back then.

Jakanden
03-25-2008, 04:49 PM
I still have no damn clue what is going on whenever the wheel starts spinning. Its the video game equilivant of me watching an anime with me staring blankly at the screen and saying "What the fuck?!".

Your emails explain what is going on enough to get the gist if not the specifics.

pence
03-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I just unlocked materia fusion and made myself a pretty brilliant Thundara Blade materia by combining Assault Twister with Thunder.

I also noticed all the fanservice in the Shinra lobby, and decided that Shinra vehicles all look really... dorky. Or Soviet.

Edit: Was that a couple, hooking up in the workplace, and using the training room to, uh, enhance their relationship?

Kishi
03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I knew this game was supposed to be heavy on FFVII fan service, but I burst into laughter when Zack spent most of an early cut scene doing squats. I wanted someone to present him with a blonde wig when he finished.

EDIT: Hahaha, oh, wow. During the first mission to Wutai, Yuffie's hand-waving "threat gesture" looks even more ridiculous now that her arm is composed of more than three polygons.

Gredlen
03-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Crisis Core has a classy cover. Also, I love Zack.

"To become a hero!"
"That's good. Unattainable dreams are the best ones."
"Uh... Thanks? =("

Jakanden
03-26-2008, 03:39 AM
I am officially hooked on this game. I put another 3 1/2 hours into it last night before bed and I love it. It has its problems, but I am very pleased with this game overall.

Parish
03-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Zack is the only FF main character I like besides Vivi. (Unless Balthier counts as a main character in anything but his own mind.) I would buy a game called "Zack and Vivi."

shivam
03-26-2008, 09:48 AM
so i fired it up last night, and only got through the first save point, and holy crap.

The cut scenes are freaking beautiful, and the game play is interesting. My only problem is that combat is so fast that i can't really keep up. It's taking me an inordinate amount of time to figure out where to look and how to do anything, and for a long time i was casting super ineffectual blizzagas against that first boss, and i had no idea until i was nearly dead.

still though, i'm impressed.

djSyndrome
03-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I view this game as Square's apology for the mess that was Final Fantasy VII.

Apology accepted.

fanboymaster
03-26-2008, 10:43 AM
To raise another question about the DMW, is there any rhyme or reason to how often I level up? I realize it happens when I get luck 7s but it seems completely random how often that happens, I've spent several missions without one and then BAM! 2 in 1 mission. Is there an increasing probability that I was too tired to notice while reading the DMW messages? Also, why do I keep seeing flashes of things that already happened? It seems like they slow down the reels making it easier to get special attacks but they seem just as random.

I really like the game but I wish I knew if it was even half as random as it's acting.

Jakanden
03-26-2008, 10:59 AM
To raise another question about the DMW, is there any rhyme or reason to how often I level up? I realize it happens when I get luck 7s but it seems completely random how often that happens, I've spent several missions without one and then BAM! 2 in 1 mission. Is there an increasing probability that I was too tired to notice while reading the DMW messages? Also, why do I keep seeing flashes of things that already happened? It seems like they slow down the reels making it easier to get special attacks but they seem just as random.

I really like the game but I wish I knew if it was even half as random as it's acting.

According to one of the guides on GameFAQ's it is not random. There is experience and when you gain enough, the DMW hits all 7's and you level and he has the table posted. I am inclined to believe this as I have done a lot of missions and grinding and get levels pretty much when I would expect to (a bit faster actually).

Parish
03-26-2008, 11:14 AM
The minor outcomes and character syncs are largely random, but yeah, the level ups (both for Zack and his Materia) have to do with the SP you gain. Tackling Hard or Very Hard missions is a sure way to keep the DMW spinning with beneficial outcomes, because enemies above your level dish out tons of SP.

shivam
03-26-2008, 12:27 PM
anyone have tips on getting the hang of battles?

fanboymaster
03-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Many thanks, I'm glad that the game isn't as random as I thought.

EDIT: They only thing I know is 1. Try to hit the enemies in the back (back attacks are criticals) and 2. get the hang of rolling.

Parish
03-26-2008, 12:37 PM
anyone have tips on getting the hang of battles?
It's pretty much action-style turn-based combat. Each action requires a certain amount time to perform and to recover from, which holds true for both Zack and all enemies. Button mashing is less effective than timing your attacks to Zack's movements, and if you pay attention to how enemies act you will develop a feel for when to evade their attacks. The only thing you can't dodge at all are bosses' fancy FMV attacks. That's why this game works -- despite the seeming mindlessness of combat, it actually obeys a very measured pace that rewards observant, thoughtful play.

djSyndrome
03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Springboarding off what Parish said: I haven't played long enough to fully vouch for this, but it seems that for physical attacks your next attack should be activated at the same time right as the sound of your current attack is heard.

shivam
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
aw man. i hate audio cues. i play the game with the music off, by and large, so as to not disturb others.

djSyndrome
03-26-2008, 12:57 PM
aw man. i hate audio cues. i play the game with the music off, by and large, so as to not disturb others.

Headphones are your friend.

Also, the music is excellent - hearing the new version of the title theme literally brought a tear to my eye.

shivam
03-26-2008, 01:00 PM
yeah, it was indeed awesome.

damn square, damn.

Kishi
03-26-2008, 03:02 PM
I played nine percent of the game's optional missions before moving the plot at all. Burn outttt.

shivam
03-26-2008, 08:54 PM
this game hurts my eyes. whenever they're moving in the cut scenes or talky parts, there's this weird ghosting, and it just makes the whole thing feel jumpy.

djSyndrome
03-26-2008, 09:58 PM
this game hurts my eyes. whenever they're moving in the cut scenes or talky parts, there's this weird ghosting, and it just makes the whole thing feel jumpy.

Get a new PSP, champ. The game looks gorgeous on my 2000.

Parish
03-26-2008, 11:11 PM
I was gonna say, welcome to 2005.

Nicholai
03-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Like Shivam, I'm slightly annoyed by blurriness, but I've experienced it on my thick PSP for some time and don't want to sell my thick and pay more on top for a slim.

Even with that though, I've found the game to be great fun. The fanservice is excellent and the battle system is quite fun. I'm only a few hours in, but am really impressed both with the game itself and the ways in which it was made to be a good PSP game on top with the short missions and such which would seem out of place on PS2.

On a final note, it is good to actually be participating in a fun club!

shivam
03-27-2008, 04:28 PM
ugh. gamestop is only buying fatty psps for 40 bucks. lame.

Jakanden
03-27-2008, 06:10 PM
I have a classic PSP and don't see any blurriness. Maybe I am just lucky.

ringworm
03-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Finally got some real play time with this badboy last night. I had dipped my toe into it previously and did the training mission thing before turning it off. I'm still only just past the Wutai mission, but I focused a lot on the optional missions last night. So far I'm really digging the game, and I like how the combat seems all button-mashy at first, but turns out to be a lot more measured and almost turn based.

djSyndrome
03-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Seeing Gackt's polygonal self speak in English is slightly jarring. Still, he's one of the better VAs so far.

Also, I opened the chest in Angeal's house. I got a bad feeling!

Pseudonym
03-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Seeing Gackt's polygonal self speak in English is slightly jarring. Still, he's one of the better VAs so far.

Also, I opened the chest in Angeal's house. I got a bad feeling!

Oh, god that! I felt like such an asshole. "You found 5 gil! Nice job, jerk."

So, was I supposed to know stuff about the Turks cell phone game? Is that where this new Turk girl is from? She seems pretty nice.

Gredlen
03-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Sign me up for the feeling like a jerk club.
Also, yeah, Cissnei is from Before Crisis, the cellphone game. However, she isn't given a name there or anything.

djSyndrome
03-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Oh, god that!

It's not like she's going to be around to spend it.

djSyndrome
03-28-2008, 12:41 PM
For those who haven't picked CC up yet and are near a Fry's electronics, they're offering it for thirty-two bones (http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?advid=32664&adid=6010414&subid=20674241&type=).

Pseudonym
03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Sign me up for the feeling like a jerk club.
Also, yeah, Cissnei is from Before Crisis, the cellphone game. However, she isn't given a name there or anything.

Looking at the game description on Wikipedia, it sounds kind of neat on paper. Missions and online rescues and all that. Was it any good at all? Also, I don't know what went on in that game, and I'm only half through Crisis Core, but I'm guessing there will be some sort of mass Turk extinction? Because I never got the impression playing FF7 years ago that there were any more than the four of them. Or maybe I'm just supposed to forget about that. :)

More on Turks: When I went on the mission with Tseng I saw the suits in the profiles of the missing "staff", and I honestly thought I was going to be dragging Reno and Rude out of a bar somewhere. The real mission did not live up to my lofty expectations in that regard.

shivam
03-28-2008, 01:03 PM
my effing gamestop didnt have the preorder bonus. asses

pence
03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
my effing gamestop didnt have the preorder bonus. asses

In my local gamestop, they keep a picture of pre-order bonuses on the counter. In it, the UMD case kind of looked like a hat.

I maintain that a Shin-ra Electric Company beanie would be a much cooler bonus than a UMD case. At least it gave my copy of Sega Genesis Collection a home (I got it used without a case).

Petie
03-28-2008, 07:04 PM
I finally traded in quite a bit of my old games and picked up a PSP Slim/Daxter bundle, FFT, Patapon and this game (I had a LOT of old games). A friend is griping at me for not getting the "phat" PSP, but I've never been that big on the emulation scene.

So, time to start this game. I've heard so many good things, but I have a weird anxiety about it. FFVII was a game I loved in college, then hated after playing FFVIII and IX. Time to get this party started.

alexb
03-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Who was this game's director again? What else have they done? Because, given Square Enix's output of late, especially in the Compilation of FF7 line, this is remarkably playable and well paced.

Lakupo
03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Crisis Core get! Circuit City had a deal to get a 10 dollar gift card when you buy it, but they were sold out, which made me feel better about buying the nice shiny cover over at Best Buy without any special deals. Although going into CC got me Paper Mario TYD for 9 bucks, so I'm extra broke now.

Only up to the first save point and training mission, but it's pretty spiffy so far! I'd say FFVII fanservice, but it's more tempered than that, like FFVII nostalgiaservice. FFVII isn't my favorite FF, but I still remember burning through it in a week over ten years ago.

The DMW makes it feel like you don't know what's really going on, but it's still entertaining regardless. I also like how the controls allow for a lot of options yet are more streamlined than Kingdom Hearts.

Gredlen
03-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Who was this game's director again? What else have they done? Because, given Square Enix's output of late, especially in the Compilation of FF7 line, this is remarkably playable and well paced.

Hajime Tabata. Apparently this and Before Crisis are the only things he's done, along with some role in Deception III. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deception_series#Deception_III:_Dark_Delusion) Or at least, that's what IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2057224/) says.

alexb
03-29-2008, 11:26 PM
So this is like Athena springing fully formed from the head of Zeus, then.

Tomm Guycot
03-30-2008, 12:35 AM
As Nich said, this game is making me feel FF7 nostalgia I didn't know I had.

I just finished exploring the home area for the first time (see? no spoilers) and the best localization Square has EVER done was the options when offered a potion in the Shin-Ra lobby.

Also: Anyone want to explain this DMV wheel or whatever it's called?

Gredlen
03-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Also: Anyone want to explain this DMV wheel or whatever it's called?

Sephiroth/Sephiroth/Sephiroth
Ding ding ding! We have winner! Have limit break!!
Sephiroth/Angeal/Sephiroth
Ding ding d- oh, sorry. No limit break for you this time.
7 * 7! Physical attacks have no effect on you! Hooray!

(Also, you should read the tutorials, specifically Parameters 2, DMW 1, DMW 2, Limit breaks, and Leveling up)

Alixsar
03-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Shut up, guys. You're making me want to re-buy a PSP.

JohnB
03-30-2008, 02:32 AM
...I just did. Thanks, ebay! 100 smackers shipped, and a 4gb pro duo drive off of amazon for 30 bucks. My wife was less than pleased, but, well, we got a big refund check this week, so, you know.

shivam
03-30-2008, 10:08 AM
good god is this game amazing. Two hours in and the combat system has finally gelled with me, and the story is picking up and everything. It makes me want to play ff7 again so badly, and i haven't had that desire since 1999. This is probably the best thing to come from the FF franchise in a long while.

i just wish they had a broader color pallette, and that the psp had better speakers.

alexb
03-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Headphones, man. Headphones!

Tomm Guycot
03-30-2008, 11:03 AM
(Also, you should read the tutorials, specifically Parameters 2, DMW 1, DMW 2, Limit breaks, and Leveling up)

The assumption that I hadn't is kind of insulting. Don't act like the wheel makes any sense at all, man.

Parish
03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
This is what I've been saying all along. Although the playability my not be Tabata's doing. I think at Square the director role has to do with the story bits and the producer and battle director deal with gameplay... but I could be wrong.

Gredlen
03-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Don't act like the wheel makes any sense at all, man.

Sephiroth/Sephiroth/Sephiroth
Ding ding ding! We have winner! Have limit break!!
Sephiroth/Angeal/Sephiroth
Ding ding d- oh, sorry. No limit break for you this time.
7 * 7! Physical attacks have no effect on you! Hooray!

Tomm Guycot
03-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah I can read my Mail too.

Point is, I have no idea WHY it pops up. Yeah, SP. How much? When? How? Why?

poetfox
03-30-2008, 11:17 AM
So, um, I have a feeling this question is just me blatantly missing something that's right in my face, but...
Is there an inn? Anything like that? Because at first, I thought it was sort of... Battle Network style, where you're fully healed for every battle (Well, okay, I guess that's only the first Battle Network), and then I realized it wasn't... and now that I'm starting to get moves that do something I'm starting to actually run low on MP in these missions and such.
Is buying items the only way to heal? I guess that's what I'm asking.

alexb
03-30-2008, 11:20 AM
As near as I can tell, the SP work like Experience Points in other games. In other words, you need to accumulate a certain number of SP in order to level up. When that happens, the reels start to spin and they land on all 7s and you level up. It looks random, but it's not. It's just a show. Materia leveling up may may not actually be random, either. I'm not clear on that, though.

And poetfox, there's no inn that I've ever encountered, but you can buy Ether from a shop any time you're at a save point.

poetfox
03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
And poetfox, there's no inn that I've ever encountered, but you can buy Ether from a shop any time you're at a save point.
Okay then. I don't know, I assumed I'd eventually be like... buying super materia or something and would need to save my money, but if that's how the game is designed, I'll assume it's going to give me enough and stop worrying about it. Heh. Thanks.

I also just want to say, for the record, that I'm not a "defense" person in these sorts of game. I pump up my defense as much as I can and go Kamakaze. This game, however, is actually convincing me to dodge and block things without getting frustrated at it, which I'm enjoying and just... I don't know, find interesting, I guess.

alexb
03-30-2008, 11:32 AM
This is what I've been saying all along. Although the playability my not be Tabata's doing. I think at Square the director role has to do with the story bits and the producer and battle director deal with gameplay... but I could be wrong.

But as you've noted, even the storytelling is notably restrained by modern Square Enix standards. So he still deserves a nod there.

Parish
03-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Seriously, Tomm, it's pretty straightforward -- they just cover it with a veil of obfuscation to make it seem complicated. The DMW reels are always spinning; the more SP you're earning, the more likely you are to hit beneficial combinations. If you fight through a series of Very Easy side missions and fight enemies that grant piffling experience, you'll hardly ever benefit; if you go after Very Hard missions and start pulling in exp and SP way above your current skill level you can see two or three reels in a single random encounter. And you'll always get a 777 combo right after earning enough experience to go up a level (your Materia will level up around the same time).

Lakupo
03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't think you don't have to be at a save point to buy items, you just have to be able to access the menu, so no buying items during combat.

O..O~
03-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I wish summons happened more often. I got tonberry and cactuar but I still haven't seen them! Gah.

alexb
03-30-2008, 01:07 PM
How old are Cloud and Aerith, exactly?

Kishi
03-30-2008, 01:10 PM
They're 21 and 22 in FFVII. If Crisis Core takes place five years beforehand, that's 16 and 17.

alexb
03-30-2008, 01:11 PM
And Zack...?

Tomm Guycot
03-30-2008, 01:16 PM
It's Yuffie who seemed a little old to me.

If the WTF Reel is that just "random benefits, enjoy!" I wish they'd have just said it. They set it up like this crucial system you have to "learn" when really it's just making the game easier for you.

Why can't they just say that?

Kishi
03-30-2008, 01:17 PM
And Zack...?

I don't think it's been stated--not that I've seen, anyway. But he can't be far off from Cloud. Why do you ask?

alexb
03-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I think they all look too old for this to be seven years before FF7. Also, Barrett founded Avalanche, right? How old is Marlene in FF7? The timelines seem unlikely.

Kishi
03-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Seven years before FFVII was when Cloud left Nibelheim. The massacre stuff that Crisis Core leads up to went down five years before. Unless you're telling me the game actually spans two years; I'm still not that far in.

Marlene is four in FFVII. In the original game, Barret is implied to be the founder of AVALANCHE, but later sources only placed him as its current leader, with the founder having been an unknown individual.

alexb
03-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Four? And Advent Children is two years after the end of FF7? Marlene looks at least 10 years old in that movie.

Lakupo
03-30-2008, 02:51 PM
I think Before Crisis retconned it so there was a pre-Barret Avalanche that was so totally nasty and evil that the Turks could be the good guys fighting them.

Ya know, it may be superficial stuff like the area dividing dots or it may be more substantial similarities like being able to ditch the main quest and go on sidequests for hours, but I get a kind of FFXII vibe from the game. Would that make Shane Bettenhausen's head explode? FFXII crossed with FFVII?

Parish
03-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah, it's kind of like the inverse of what has happened in real life with Greenpeace.

djSyndrome
03-30-2008, 03:25 PM
And you'll always get a 777 combo right after earning enough experience to go up a level (your Materia will level up around the same time).

I'm not entirely sure Materia leveling up is tied to actual leveling up, as I've had some levels where no Materia has gone up at all, and one (level 7?) where my Fire Materia went up twice.

Also, you'll know when a Materia is going to go up when you score two of the same number on your reels (i.e., 5-1-5 will get you a Materia level up).

and that the psp had better speakers.

Did you know that the PSP-2000...

...okay, I'll stop now.

Jakanden
03-30-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm not entirely sure Materia leveling up is tied to actual leveling up, as I've had some levels where no Materia has gone up at all, and one (level 7?) where my Fire Materia went up twice.

Also, you'll know when a Materia is going to go up when you score two of the same number on your reels (i.e., 5-1-5 will get you a Materia level up).

dj is right. I had many levels where I had no materia level up and a number of times where I had materia level up twice during a single battle.

djSyndrome
03-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Question: what's up with Hojo's room? I'm at level eleven and whipped through the first three fights, but the Behemoth brought an end to my merry little adventure. Am I tackling this too early?

alexb
03-30-2008, 04:03 PM
I beat it at around 11 or 12 I think. It was difficult. I think the moral of the story was "Hojo is an insane asshole and he was trying to kill you." I don't think I even got a good reward for it.

Tomm Guycot
03-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Ya know, it may be superficial stuff like the area dividing dots or it may be more substantial similarities like being able to ditch the main quest and go on sidequests for hours, but I get a kind of FFXII vibe from the game. Would that make Shane Bettenhausen's head explode? FFXII crossed with FFVII?

This game is like FFXII's engine running KH: Chain of Memories.

So is Genesis the badguy from Dirge? Anyone?

Sapper Gopher
03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I think Before Crisis retconned it so there was a pre-Barret Avalanche that was so totally nasty and evil that the Turks could be the good guys fighting them.

You'd think he wouldn't want to use the name then, but I guess it had built up some fearsome cachet that would strike terror into Shinra. Stupid writers. What's wrong with a game where you do amoral wetwork for an evil corporation? Not appealing to a Japanese audience?

Kishi
03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
So is Genesis the badguy from Dirge? Anyone?

From what I understand, they showed him off as a cliffhanger in Dirge's secret ending and are only now going back to explain who he is and why his presence should mean something.

Tomm Guycot
03-30-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm kind of upset Square would hide meaningful plot info in a stupid game that none of us will ever play.

djSyndrome
03-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm kind of upset Square would hide meaningful plot info in a stupid game that none of us will ever play.

They're still somewhat new at this 'continuity between games' thing.

Kishi
03-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd say the only meaningful plot info is in Crisis Core, which we are playing!

Lakupo
03-30-2008, 06:55 PM
If you collected three hidden "G files" in Dirge, you got a movie at the end with Genesis magically appearing, picking up Weiss's body, and flying off with his one black wing. ~FIN~

So it was pretty much a quick teaser for both Crisis Core and whatever they decide to do after Dirge.

(and for the curious, the big bad of Dirge was the mind of Hojo, who jumped out of the Shinra-internet-matrix and possessed Weiss, all an elaborate plot, blah blah blah... although I don't remember if Hojo got beaten out of Weiss before Weiss merged with the Omega Weapon or not. Yes, Dirge was rather ridiculous. But fun in its own way.)

Bonus! Secret G video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcc1b6o3q-4)! Does G stand for Genesis, or GACKT!?

O..O~
03-31-2008, 07:13 AM

Just like silent hill origins! *before you freak out, KIDDING. I couldnt resist the chance for the joke. sorry*

Tomm Guycot
03-31-2008, 08:46 AM
So I figured out the DMV system. Yeah, when you get enough SP it rolls to level up, however leveling up is not automatic, there's still chance involved. I say this because I got "modulation spins" ever 3 moves at a point. And I wasn't leveling up. The thing is, if you're supposed to level up it will KEEP SPINNING until you do (thus every three moves). This is advantageous though, because it increases your chances to level up materia and stuff. So there were like 5 - 8 missions where I spun every 3 moves and Zack never leveled up - but I maxed out 3 Materia. Then, I leveled up 3 times in 15 minutes (because I'd accumulated enough SP total for that many levelups).

And some of these missions were Easy / Normal, so I know it wasn't solely the difficulty making all those spins. So for those of you confused like me, that's how it is.

("Breaks" are awesome. I had twice my max HP and MP at one point)

Just like silent hill origins! *before you freak out, KIDDING. I couldnt resist the chance for the joke. sorry*

Except the stupid game I was referring to was Dirge of Cerberus, which has nothing in common with SHO at all. : / Honestly Circly Tilde, we expect better from you.

djSyndrome
03-31-2008, 08:49 AM
So I figured out the DMV system.

That they're only open one Saturday per month?

pence
03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
("Breaks" are awesome. I had twice my max HP and MP at one point)

It's a shame that you cannot 'break' 9999 HP... at least not under normal circumstances.

I have a question that I feel I should know the answer to after 28 hours of gameplay: what status effect is causing Zack to have an orange tint and shoot lightning bolts out of his shoulders? I had associated it with breaks but... that's not it.

Tomm Guycot
03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
That they're only open one Saturday per month?

Would be funnier if I hadn't been purposefully spelling it wrong for effect this whole time.

what status effect is causing Zack to have an orange tint and shoot lightning bolts out of his shoulders? I had associated it with breaks but... that's not it.

Endure.

pence
03-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Endure.

Aha! The DMW strikes again.

Reluctant Hero
03-31-2008, 09:51 AM
So I got my copy last thursday but I didn't start it up till last night (because I was distracted by the EXCELLENT Killzone: Liberation). Wow, this is awesome! I was sitting in bed playing with my earbuds in and told myself I'd only play for 45 mins, till 10:30pm. Next thing I know it's midnight!

I went through Wutai and then I did a bunch of missions. I love the missions! Their "bit sized" 5 minute game plays are awesome to play and are highly addicting. The combat system is awesome and I love being able to evade magic. I took a few times to get used to using the shoulder buttons to switch between commands. But now I've mastered it and I heal myself, through in a few spells, get an attach combo off, and use an ether with no problem.

Awesome stuff. I brought my PSP to work and I plan on getting a few more missions completed on my lunch. Or in my office after I get this report finished....

shivam
03-31-2008, 09:58 AM
what does endure do, anyway?

and i finally lost for the first time yesterday, against Hojo's Behemoth. It completely wasted me.

and i've never been able to get a summon to go off. stupid slots.

pence
03-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Endure prevents knockdown. It unfortunately does not appear to prevent damage from interrupting your spellcasting, which really sucks in certain circumstances.

Petie
03-31-2008, 10:41 AM
what does endure do, anyway?

I read that it keeps you from getting knocked over by enemy attacks.

I barely beat the Behemoth on my first try, but moved onto the story missions for a while. Yeah, it wasn't easy.

So far, only one mission has given my problems: Rematch With Bahamut. Stupid dragon.

shivam
03-31-2008, 10:45 AM
man, my magic was totally useless against bahamut. fucking range spells having no range.

I've figured crisis core out, though. It's a table top miniatures game. Turn-based, with movement on a grid/enclosed area, positioning-matters game elements, and ranges on attacks and spells. If you are spaced right, you do more damage because you're hitting flanks or the rear, and you can attack multiple opponants from the right angle.

This is the first mainstream RPG to really get the feel of a table top combat session without resorting to cheese.

pence
03-31-2008, 10:54 AM
I've figured crisis core out, though. It's a table top miniatures game.

I'm picturing Collection of Final Fantasy VII hero clix. Who would win in a match between two SOLDIER 2nd Class Zacks and one SOLDIER 1st Class Zack?

Although this is a pretty neat comparison. In that sense, Crisis Core kind of feels like a broken tabletop game, where one player only controls a single piece, but can move his piece around however they please. The monsters move in discreet 'turns', but Zack is constantly moving, only stopping to attack or cast. Once monsters can swing for more than your max HP, you need to take advantage of that to dodge their attacks.

Reluctant Hero
04-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I just want to say again how much I love the mission. I was able to bust out two "very hard" ones in my office during the last 15 mins of my lunch. Such an awesome game...

Lakupo
04-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Woo, lovely, I seem to have somehow corrupted my save. :\ So much for that six hours...

I don't get how it happened, though. I backed up my files, upgraded my firmware, formatted the card (to get rid of some other corrupted data from an emulator save error), copied it all back... it shows up fine in the menu, but CC won't load it. And every other game seems to work fine, so I'm at a loss. I even tried copying a new file I just made back and forth and that worked. It's not like I was far in the story, I was just at a high level from all those missions. Oh well.

WreckTheLaw
04-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Woo, lovely, I seem to have somehow corrupted my save. :\ So much for that six hours...

I don't get how it happened, though. I backed up my files, upgraded my firmware, formatted the card (to get rid of some other corrupted data from an emulator save error), copied it all back... it shows up fine in the menu, but CC won't load it. And every other game seems to work fine, so I'm at a loss. I even tried copying a new file I just made back and forth and that worked. It's not like I was far in the story, I was just at a high level from all those missions. Oh well.

Just pretend you got caught by a Metal Armor and a Death Angel, on a log-bridge in Shiren's Ravine of Illusions and they killed you. Time to start over ;)

On topic: Between this and Portable Ops Plus and some other stuff, I've really been thinking about buying a PSP 2000. I sold my PSP to a roommate about 4 months ago, so I've been missing out. Is this good enough to warrant such a purchase?

Reluctant Hero
04-02-2008, 09:26 AM
On topic: Between this and Portable Ops Plus and some other stuff, I've really been thinking about buying a PSP 2000. I sold my PSP to a roommate about 4 months ago, so I've been missing out. Is this good enough to warrant such a purchase?

Yes, it's that good. PSP is on fire. I'm currently rediscovering some older PSP titles as well. Like the friggin sweet Killzone: Liberation.

WreckTheLaw
04-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Yes, it's that good. PSP is on fire. I'm currently rediscovering some older PSP titles as well. Like the friggin sweet Killzone: Liberation.

Dug Killzone from what I've played of it, also really wanted Monster Hunter Freedom 2.

Back to Crisis Core, I seem to remember hearing/reading that there are dozens (hundreds) of very quick side missions that you can do. What are these like, and do they add to the game in a way that a more fleshed out main story quest wouldn't have?

Reluctant Hero
04-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Back to Crisis Core, I seem to remember hearing/reading that there are dozens (hundreds) of very quick side missions that you can do. What are these like, and do they add to the game in a way that a more fleshed out main story quest wouldn't have?

I wouldn't say that they "flesh out" the main story/quest at all. They're really just what they seem to be, side missions that enable you to get new items, equipment, and materia. They also serve as opportunitis to level up Zack.

These missions are awesome because you run through one in about 5 minutes. This makes the game perfect for quick pick-up sessions when you've got a few spare minutes. You can access thes missions at any time from any save point.

Gredlen
04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
What are these like, and do they add to the game in a way that a more fleshed out main story quest wouldn't have?

These are like "Here you are at point A, go kill this enemy at point B. Oh, and you can loot some treasure chests along the way, but they might be cleverly hidden." You have to kill a certain enemy and sometimes there'll be a single path you have to take, sometimes there'll be a fork, and other times it's just completely open.

They're all really basic and don't really add to the story. They have a little description that ties them into the larger picture of what's going on in the world, but only a few will actually have any sort of minor (and self-contained) story elements.

The fact that the missions are simple and quick is what makes Crisis Core a portable game, though. They aren't really meant to serve as side quests in the traditional sense.

Tomm Guycot
04-02-2008, 11:43 AM
The missions are the best part, because they make "leveling" fun. Since each one opens up another, and gives you loot, etc... you can spend 2 hours "doing missions" and feel like you accomplsihed something.

Whereas if you spent 2 hours "leveling" you'd feel cheated.

Kishi
04-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Today's session consisted entirely of missions. I'm now at 32 percent, which I read is what Jakanden finished the game with, but I'm still not even very far from the beginning, story-wise. But I can't help myself, man. The battle system is addictive, and since there's apparently no penalty for dying in a mission, there's no reason not to at least try the new ones as they become available, Very Hard or not.

locit
04-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm digging the the way you can kill any and all monotony in the main quest with the missions. Not that there's a lot of it. "I'm tired of grey corridors! Oh? Tropical island mission? Yes please!"

Are there many here like me who didn't play FFVII at all before playing this? I'm digging the story even though I'm not engrossed in the lore.

Lakupo
04-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Sooooo many tonberries... make them stop! MAKE THEM STOP!

pence
04-03-2008, 01:07 AM
You can never have too many tonberries! It's so cute, the way they stab and stab, but you just keep dodging past their stubby little stabbing arms.

Lakupo
04-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Fending off hordes and hordes of Tonberries was all worth it, because Murderous Thrust is hilarious. :D

widdershins
04-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Yo yo.

Well, I just got thrown under the graveyard shift bus, so I figured I'd buy Crisis Core to pass the time and join in on the fun.

...turns out I brought my laptop charger instead of my PSP charger, though.

Still, I got a good hour and change out of it, and I have to admit, it's pretty rad so far. I managed to get to the two hulking ogre things at the end of the wutai level before my battery went.

We'll see how I fare tomorrow night.