PDA

View Full Version : FC 19: Crisis Core | Pt. 2 - SOLDIER 1st Class

Parish
03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Yadda, yadda, late story and side quests here. Discuss your strategies for beating the super-ultra-hard optional boss... or don't, if you're sane.

pence
03-25-2008, 10:28 PM
So, Zack's in the black uniform now, but my mission completion reads a mere 6% ...! Oh, that's just the optional missions. Ok then! Somewhat spoilery stuff follows:

Since every post I've made has been cynical, let me clarify that I'm enjoying myself here but... chasing a fat, neckbearded scientist through the hallways beneath Sector 5 wasn't what I had in mind after my new promotion.

Offering Aeristhsthsth a date? It's weird to think that, sometime in the future, Zack gets that date with the flower girl. Only, he's Cloud, ya know?

Finally, I'd like to thank Parish and Retronauts for introducing the word 'leitmotif' into my everyday vocabulary. Aerith's can still put me in the mindset of my 13-year-old self. It is, admittedly, not hard to do.

Jakanden
03-26-2008, 03:42 AM
I have about 13% mission complete myself but I have done every side mission available save for one or two that are too hard right now.

The cut scene where Sephiroth, Genesis and Angeal are fighting atop the cannon is freaking awesome. I know Parish isn't a fan of Advent Children, but that scene is like something right out of it.

Right now I am in the Mako reactor and actually find myself enjoying the story. Zack is a hell of a lot more interesting than Cloud, that is for sure.

Parish
03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
I know Parish isn't a fan of Advent Children, but that scene is like something right out of it.
Which is why I was so relieved when it turned out to be a VR sim!

Gredlen
03-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, that scene is what I was referring to here (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=139546) as where I got to. Though now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I got farther than that. I'm not surprised at how over-the-top it is considering the people involved, but while I was watching it I couldn't help but think Shinra might not appreciate how they were treating company property.

Anyway, Aeris and Zack make a cute couple. Cloud/Aeris is totally inconceivable now. Really, though, I think Zack pretty much just makes everything better. He should be the main character of every Final Fantasy game from now on.

pence
03-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Anyway, Aeris and Zack make a cute couple.

"Normal is overrated."

I'm certain I've said that before, in the same context.

Perhaps the relationship between Zack and Aeris could be considered otaku wish-fulfillment, albiet slightly more tasteful otaku wish-fulfillment than FF7.

O..O~
03-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Gamefaqs confuses the hell out of me. According to a faq there, there ARE exp points they are just invisible. Leveling up isn't random, it automatically goes to 777 whenever you hit the xp for your next level.

Also, funny argument time! Which combat system has more depth, this or kingdom hearts? Disregarding materia fusion, just the pure basics of the combat.

Parish
03-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Experience points are called Soldier Points, which are really only different in that you can spend them to fuse Materia.

O..O~
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
According to the faq, sp points and exp points are different. Like those weird pokemon stats that are invisible. Leveling Up
===========
o Levelling up is NOT RANDOM.
o The game has an invisible EXP Counter, and enemies give EXP.
o EXP is not the same as SP.
o Stats are not random, but fixed. The chart below s definitive.
o When you have reached enough EXP, the DMW will spin to 777, Levelling you up.
o The chart below shows the EXP needed to Level Up for each Level.
o You can find enemy EXP Values in the Enemy Enceclopedia.
o An example: You need 10011 EXP to reach Level 15, and when you do, the DMW
automatically spins to 777 (in battle, or the next), Levelling you up.
o Early levels are the most important, as stats will start to stall at higher
Levels. They are raised much slower in the high Level range

pence
03-27-2008, 12:49 AM
On his dying breath, Angeal told me to protect my honor. Then, I was looking at half naked people, who proceeded to fight evil frogmen using beach umbrellas.

And it brought a smile to my face.

Does anyone else find Angeal's name a bit irritating? Those aren't the wings of a monster... those are the wings of a... an angel!

Jakanden
03-27-2008, 04:18 AM
I just got past the wallet scene in the slums and thought it was totally pointless and annoying. I kept asking when the hell it was gonna be over.

Does anyone else find Angeal's name a bit irritating? Those aren't the wings of a monster... those are the wings of a... an angel!

The dialog in that scene made me physically cringe.

Gredlen
03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Zack's new hairdo is lametastic.

As is that stealth section. Brilliant idea making the button that opens treasure chests also make you do squats. I was sitting in front of a chest for 10-20 seconds, doing squats. When I finally got the damn thing open, I got spotted.
It doesn't help that the camera just isn't suited for that kind of gameplay. Fortunately, all you need to do to get through that part is wait for there to be no guards on the right, then just run all the way.

I'm amused at how much of a loser Cloud is, though. He's kind of likable when he isn't implanted with some other dude's memories and angsting it up.

Also: I found the Genesis fight way more difficult than the Angeal one. I mean, the first guy could simultaneously have Null Physical AND Null Magical Damage. Plus he had a pretty significant Regen.

pence
03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I was trying to discern just what happened to Zack. Did he grow a mullet? Did he comb his hair back? Or does he just look more serious now?

I mean, the first guy could simultaneously have Null Physical AND Null Magical Damage.

Somehow I managed to get behind him and cut him down so fast, null physical never became an issue. But the second guy has a really painful rear-facing lightning attack that kept killing me until I got wise and put up MBarrier.

Gredlen
03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah, that lightning attack is a killer, but he only seemed to use it really often when I got him down to a few thousand HP.

On the other hand, I actually did have a moment where Genesis had Null Physical and Null Magical Damage up along with Regen. So I was pretty much just running around for a while, doing nothing. I had a harder time getting behind him and hitting him, so it took a while. And that triple fireball attack he does is deadly. I got hit by one of them while (I'm pretty sure) I was blocking and it still took off about a third of my life.

Also, you should use Phoenix Downs (if you aren't already)! There's a lady in the entrance of the Shinra building that will let you use one for free, I think. I didn't know how they worked at first, but they cast Raise on you. Really useful.

pence
03-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Aha, so that's what that potion did! I noticed I had Raise, and had assumed it was a passive effect due to having two Phoenix Downs in my inventory. That's quite a useful item to be giving away for free in the lobby.

Edit: Ah yes, I can see it now, there would be a young girl tending the bar! Yes, yes, with a big bosom and long legs! Just a killer figure! Hurrr Hurrr!!! And underneath the bar is a secret room. An underground hideout! Now that's a perfect slums bar! It would make the perfect base for an anti-Shinra group!

Gredlen
03-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Ok, so I got to Junon and the part where you have to defend it totally confused me. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to defeat all the enemies while I ran to the other side or if I was supposed to just hunker down and wait for them to come to me. I went with the former, but it turns out it was the latter! The result was that some enemies spawned behind me and got through. Not cool.

Also, Cloud gets carsick. What a loser.

pence
03-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Cloud: (Not really spoilery dialog, but I might as well mark it): *points at buster sword* ya know, I've never seen you use that.

Was he paying attention during all of those random battles? Did a cutscene from a different game accidentally find its way into Crisis Core?

I kid, because I love.

alexb
03-28-2008, 02:59 PM
So guys, what's the symbolic importance of black, red, and white? Because those are the hair colors of Angeal, Genesis, and Sephiroth. Xenosaga did this too. Is there some layer of hackneyed meaning I'm missing?

Parish
03-28-2008, 03:30 PM
It's just anime's idea of characterization. Why define a character's personality with writing when you can just show what they're like through their hair color?

alexb
03-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Is that all? That's a little disappointing. I was hoping it was some kind of ancient Judeo-Christian cosmology thing, given both series' proclivities for swipe religious terms and imagery.

Guy
03-28-2008, 06:10 PM
It's just anime's idea of characterization. Why define a character's personality with writing when you can just show what they're like through their hair color?

Or blood type.

shivam
03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
actually, there's a lot of shinto and noh imagery associated with color. the sentai shows are full of such symbolism, and your hunch is correct--red, black and white are indeed very symbolic to the japanese.

i leave it to your google skills to determine more.

Gredlen
03-28-2008, 11:32 PM
the sentai shows are full of such symbolism, and your hunch is correct--red, black and white are indeed very symbolic to the japanese.

Sephiroth becomes the green ranger?!

pence
03-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Sephiroth becomes the green ranger?!

Hollander and Hojo become Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd?

Jakanden
03-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Ok, despite the fact I am not a fan of FFVII, I have to admit that I had that fanboy grin when I arrived in Nibelheim and saw the same scene from the original game play out.

Gredlen
03-30-2008, 01:32 AM
33% of the missions complete! It's a good number. Zack has the most unfortunate vacations ever known to man. Also: Very Hard missions? They're very hard.

I almost think I shouldn't have waited until basically the end of the game to do the vast majority of the missions. I'm doing missions from the save point in the church and it's making me feel kinda down. I'm dragging out the inevitable and I know I'm going to be sad when I finish the game.

pence
03-30-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm in the last dungeon now, stretching out the game by doing missions, since I blew through the story with 6% completion on the optional bits. I've been using Darkness materia to, er, AoE grind through the easier missions.

The missions featuring the 'hot treasure hunter' are well worth it, make sure you scour the levels for some awesomely dumb additions to the DMW.

estragon
03-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Is that all? That's a little disappointing. I was hoping it was some kind of ancient Judeo-Christian cosmology thing, given both series' proclivities for swipe religious terms and imagery.

Please do not take Judeo-Christian imagery in any Japanese game (or Evangelion, for that matter) seriously. It would be like looking for Shinto symbolism in episodes of the Ninja Turtles. Christian images are just window dressing from an exotic foreign mythology.

Gredlen
03-30-2008, 02:26 AM
The missions featuring the 'hot treasure hunter' are well worth it, make sure you scour the levels for some awesomely dumb additions to the DMW.

I found the Tonberry, were there any others?
Also, her second set of missions can go to hell. Getting hit for thousands of HP by multiple enemies is not cool.

I need HP Break. I've got an HP + ~500% materia and I really want to get more out of it.

Jakanden
03-30-2008, 04:56 AM
I found the Tonberry, were there any others?

Yeah, there are quite a few more of them.

Petie
03-30-2008, 05:54 AM
I've been playing a few of the side missions after each story mission, but apparently I've not been playing enough of them. I'm at 3% and I was just promoted. So, I'll start handling a lot more of the optional missions.

So far, I wouldn't say any battle has been hard, save for the "Rematch with Bahamut".

Jakanden
03-30-2008, 07:11 AM
I beat it this morning with 32% of the missions (including the one that gives item fusion and a number of DMW's). The only battle to give me some trouble was the Sephiroth fight at the Mako reactor, and that was mainly due to having the wrong materia equipped. Like Jeremy said in the 1up show, the final battle was a bit too easy because I had everything in break at max.

After playing through it, I have to say I really like Zack as a character more than almost any other main character in any of the Final Fantasies. He isn't really annoying in any way which is something that cannot be said about most FF characters.

Also, this is easily one of the best endings of any of the games in the series, main or spin-off. I especially liked how it ends with the opening scene of FFVII. Predictable, but still a nice touch.

Did any of you really spend a lot of time with Fusions? I made a few special ones like Wall with 50% MP and Curaga with 100% HP, but for the most part I didn't spend too much time with it as the game was fairly easy.

Question though, are the two guys who pick up Genesis at the end Yazoo and Loz?? It sounds like them and they say he will become their brother which means he becomes Kadaj.

Gredlen
03-30-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm working on materia fusion right now. Like I mentioned earlier, I have an HP Up+ materia with about +500% HP, so I really want to get HP Break.
I want to make a good MP+ materia now, though. The story missions aren't hard, but man. The side missions get really difficult.

pence
03-30-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm working on materia fusion right now. Like I mentioned earlier, I have an HP Up+ materia with about +500% HP, so I really want to get HP Break.
I want to make a good MP+ materia now, though. The story missions aren't hard, but man. The side missions get really difficult.

My Curaga has +220% HP on it, mua ha ha! I'm leaving +MP and +AP alone because GAME BREAKING ITEM-RELATED SPOILER: (the Genji Helmet buffs you with 0 MP and AP consumption. It also costs 1 million Gil, and I don't have it yet, so... )

Gredlen
03-30-2008, 06:33 PM
GAME BREAKING ITEM-RELATED SPOILER

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z317/Gredlen/Animated/Surprise.gif

I think I'm 1/10 of the way there...

pence
03-30-2008, 07:08 PM
A fun tip for your min-maxing, item-grinding pleasure: You can easily avoid combat in most missions by hugging the wall.

And, to paraphrase a truism from World of Warcraft, this game begins on the path to the optional boss. Once you start going up against enemies that do 7000 damage and just about every status ailment imaginable, you need to come prepared. As far as I can tell, Stun and Stop are the same debuff with different graphics, forcing me to use up another equipment slot to make sure I don't stand there taking damage. And fighting three mechs, one of whom is immune to magic damage, really sucks.

djSyndrome
04-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Apparently the order in which you fuse materia is as important as which materia you actually use.

pence
04-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure that the order of the materia matters, so much as the levels of the respective materia. I didn't waste time getting into the minutae of the fusion system, other than what items would give me what bonuses. Items are an excellent way to get stupidly powerful materia.

I finished the story today. I've given up on the optional boss until further notice, because I don't want to throw my PSP in frustration. I did 34% of the optional missions, have accessories that keep Barrier, MBarrier, and Critical active at all times, and over 20,000 HP. And it's still incredibly easy to die on the harder missions.

I didn't even see half of the final dungeon, I needed a key. I can't imagine what could be in there that is better than what I have.

Gredlen
04-01-2008, 09:26 PM
I did 34% of the optional missions, have accessories that keep Barrier, MBarrier, and Critical active at all times, and over 20,000 HP. And it's still incredibly easy to die on the harder missions.

Geez. How did you get those? I think I know how to get HP Break (Yuffie's second set of missions?), but I didn't know about the other stuff.

pence
04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Geez. How did you get those? I think I know how to get HP Break (SPOILER), but I didn't know about the other stuff.

Looking at a FAQ, I'm pretty certain the HP Break came from (The second set of missions in the Great Cavern of Wonders, that's 9th on the list of missions). You get there by (doing Yuffie's second set of missions, so you're half right :P). All the other cool stuff shows up there, as well.

Another good way to get cool items without smashing your head against the hardest missions in the game is (Precious Things, ESP Development Project and Contacts from P under Seeking Priceless Items).

Gredlen
04-02-2008, 02:31 AM
Weird. I got HP Break from ESP Development Project. I saw another source say you could get it from beating To Hell and Back. I guess the top-level stuff is randomly distributed among the harder missions?

Actually, I just checked and it just looks like multiple missions will give you the item.

Anyway, that was really tough. I really don't want to do those missions ever again. I probably wouldn't have even finished them the first time if I didn't think to use Graviga. Fighting regular enemies with ~50,000 HP is not fun. =(

pence
04-02-2008, 07:32 AM
I was telling a friend of mine that I finished Crisis Core, and got the dreaded 'one button combat' complaint. My defense was a boss I fought in one of the harder missions: a tank who spawns six tiny enemies that do nothing but repair. If you kill them, the tank spawns six more. My strategy was to leave one standing, and then try to avoid killing the last one while dodging the tank's attacks. Not killing an enemy is difficult to do: thundaga will fork into them, melee attacks will cleave into them, etc. If I accidentally killed the healer, I'd be set back as six more popped out and began outhealing my damage.

Unlike the missions, the story is dialed back to very easy combat, and if you skip the harder missions you're missing a lot of the fun you get from breaking Zack's stats. I was feeling a bit underwhelmed myself until I started finding some of the cooler bonuses like item fusion and extra equipment slots.

Yet, some of the bosses in the harder missions are so frustrating that I'd never want to go back to them. Really, all I wanted was the loot.

shivam
04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
woo. 3.5 hours in and i finally made first class. Fuck the bahamut mission, though.

Gredlen
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
woo. 3.5 hours in and i finally made first class. Fuck the bahamut mission, though.

Congratulations, SOLDIER First Class shivam! Welcome to the pence and Gredlen part of the Crisis Core Fun Club! We won't bite.

Well, maybe pence will when agitated. I think ermines do that.

djSyndrome
04-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Fuck the bahamut mission, though.

You want to finish that one as soon as you can, because the reward is worth it. Since you likely don't have access to an AP Up materia yet, go fight some battles until your current AP is at full Break, grab a few Somas, and then take on Bahamut.

Keep your distance, use a ranged spell (a Mastered Fire works well) and block everything he thwors at you. You'll eat through AP fairly quickly, but you'll take a smaller amount of damage than you will trying to roll around and get close.

Oddly enough, this exact strategy nearly got me killed on the Bahamut rematch.

pence
04-02-2008, 11:18 AM
One of us! One of us!

Ermines bite, but that's nothing compared to what Gredlen will do to you if you are a smoked cheese.

Welcome to six materia slots and materia fusion! Now go do some missions and get two extra accessory slots! Actually I'm not sure when those missions are unlocked.

shivam
04-02-2008, 11:45 AM
yeah, there are two bahamut missions. i beat hojo's, but got my ass kicked on the material one.

djSyndrome
04-02-2008, 12:12 PM
yeah, there are two bahamut missions. i beat hojo's, but got my ass kicked on the material one.

Barrier and MBarrier are your friends.

shivam
04-02-2008, 12:13 PM
yeah, i'm still on like super basic intro materia, so i guess i have a ways to go.

Reluctant Hero
04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
After a little under 5 hours (4:56) I just hit first class. And I've got 6% of the missions completed. I just found out that I can actually exit the Shinra building and do a little exploration of Midgard. So I think I'll do that before I head back to Lezard's office.

Too bad my battery si abuot to be dead. I'll have to wait until I get home tonight before I continue on.

Daydreamer
04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I was at 8 hours, and nearly 30% mission completion before I went first class. I think I over leveled some.

The game does start out rather button-mashy, but it definitely gets better. Once you start getting into the second and third tier side missions, or do missions above 'normal' difficulty, magic and strategy becomes important. And I like how the game seems to reward a well timed dodge or block with a higher-than-usual chance of DMW.

And it is SHINY.

Reluctant Hero
04-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Yes, Crisis Core has an excellent Risk/Reward balance. I can only that Kingdom Hearts PSP game, that will use the Crisis Core engine, will be this good.

By the way, GoW: Chains of Olympus pales in comparison to Crisis Core.

Reluctant Hero
04-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Wow... I'm playing through, in my opinion, what has been worst part of the game so far. Some punk kid stole of my money in the slums and I have talk to people multiple times to get it back. Come on Square... don't put me through this archaic, cliched, RPG crap. The story just ramped up and your making me waste my time with this?

Jakanden
04-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Wow... I'm playing through, in my opinion, what has been worst part of the game so far.

Yes, that part is horrible and has no redeeming qualities. I hated every second of that section.

pence
04-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Yes, that part is horrible and has no redeeming qualities. I hated every second of that section.

Nothing builds your relationship with a character like talking to every npc in an area twice, while that character is offscreen!

Jakanden
04-03-2008, 09:46 AM
By the way, GoW: Chains of Olympus pales in comparison to Crisis Core.

Having played through Chains of olympus 2 and a half times, I personally disagree with this, but that is just my opinion and it is biased by my unabashed love for God of War.

Nicholai
04-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I've been enjoying the game and am probably about 80% done with it, but I've recently learned that I missed some missions that I cannot get again. Argh. Guess that's what I get for not talking to everyone. Though, in my defense, I didn't know I wouldn't get a chance again and didn't know that Zack was about to head off to a mission when I went somewhere and at the time I didn't think I was missing anything.

While I know there is a New Game+, I just can't see myself replaying all these missions over again that I've already done (I've done over a hundred so far), so I guess any level of perfect percentage and all the items is out of my reach now (unless I was possessed to go through all these missions again in a New Game+).

Reluctant Hero
04-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Just curious Nicholai, which missions did you miss out on?

Kishi
04-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh, god, I really hope I haven't missed any. And if I have, does the game at least have a real New Game +, or is it a janky facsimile like in FFX-2, where you start over at Level 1 again? Do you really have to repeat missions you already completed in your last game? If so, I've got to wonder what the hell the point is.

locit
04-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Er, is anyone else not really getting into the materia system? I'm having a great time, but I don't seem to be enjoying the arcane rituals of materia fusion as much as Parish and others have.

Edit: or I could, you know, read the thread first like a civilized human being. I am not alone! Though I do look forward to more extreme side missions.

Gredlen
04-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Er, is anyone else not really getting into the materia system? I'm having a great time, but I don't seem to be enjoying the arcane rituals of materia fusion as much as Parish and others have.

Edit: or I could, you know, read the thread first like a civilized human being. I am not alone! Though I do look forward to more extreme side missions.

I think it's really a matter of how many of the missions you get into. Materia fusion is totally unnecessary (and relatively fruitless) until you start getting into the harder missions.

pence
04-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I think it's really a matter of how many of the missions you get into. Materia fusion is totally unnecessary (and relatively fruitless) until you start getting into the harder missions.

Seconded. You can get through the story by button mashing and never touching the materia fusion, what you put into it is what you get out. The goal of fusion is to twink Zack's stats to ridiculous levels that will get you through the harder missions. You don't even get the ability to add items to the materia fusion process until you play a certain mission.

You don't need 20,000 HP to beat the main game, but it isn't nearly enough for the optional boss.

Nicholai
04-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Just curious Nicholai, which missions did you miss out on?

There is a set of six missions only accessible in Midgar before you head out into Modeohiem (technically chapter six). You cannot get this missions once missed, or so I've read.

The game does have a New Game+, but you must replay all the missions so I can't say that I'll be too tempted to do that. Guess I just get to miss those missions, which also doesn't give me much incentive to beat the hidden boss because the only real reason to beat her is if you're attempting to beat every mission and get the item you do when you beat all 300.

djSyndrome
04-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Just finished. 21 hours / 32% mission completion / Level 42. I didn't even find the item that allows you to equip four accessories. I don't like how many of the later sword techniques and Mug have huge delays built into them. I managed to work my Curaga up to +300% HP and spammed Hell Thundaga and Assault Twister+ throughout the last third of the main story and had zero problems.

What carries over in a New Game +?

Nicholai
04-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Just finished. 21 hours / 32% mission completion / Level 42. I didn't even find the item that allows you to equip four accessories. I don't like how many of the later sword techniques and Mug have huge delays built into them. I managed to work my Curaga up to +300% HP and spammed Hell Thundaga and Assault Twister+ throughout the last third of the main story and had zero problems.

What carries over in a New Game +?

Level, materia (non-DMW), DMW percentages, items, accessories, money, play time.

Gredlen
04-07-2008, 02:11 AM
I just finished the mission where you fight 1000 enemies. It took me an hour. Fortunately, I had 1UP Yours on hand to keep me from getting bored. The reward is pretty crappy.
I still haven't finished the game, but I'm pretty sure I'm at the last dungeon. At the moment, I have 53% mission completion and an awesome HP + 660% Curaga.

Lakupo
04-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Wow, people had trouble with the Bahamut missions? That was nothing for me, but I was level 24 at the time after doing a ton of missions.

I'm currently up to the scene with Angeal in the reactor. "What are you after." "World domination." "That's not even funny!" Oh, but it is HILARIOUS! I gotta say, so far the story is especially tragic because you really want it to all work out for them... Zack, Sephiroth... Genesis can choke on a copy of Loveless for all I care, but you can almost imagine a happy ending. :(

And wait, I could've gotten the Tonberry DMW WITHOUT fighting hordes of Tonberries? :(

Gredlen
04-07-2008, 11:10 PM
And wait, I could've gotten the Tonberry DMW WITHOUT fighting hordes of Tonberries? :(

I don't think you can. Why do you ask?
Also, I like how even Sephiroth is pretty likable up until Nibelheim.

Speaking of which, I really don't like how, at the end of the Nibelheim incident, Cloud is the one to beat Sephiroth. It really cheapens the whole thing for me, since I really wanted Zack to do it himself and show how much he's grown since the beginning.

Lakupo
04-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Hrm, I guess some posts earlier just made it seem like it could also be found in the "treasure hunter" spam missions. But it was ambiguous!

I'm totally going to take the rood-shaped beams in the back of the church as a Vagrant Story shout out. I don't remember what was there in the original or AC, though.

Gredlen
04-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Hrm, I guess some posts earlier just made it seem like it could also be found in the "treasure hunter" spam missions. But it was ambiguous!

Oh. Yeah, it's just fighting the Tonberry that appears in one of those missions that unlocks the mission line where you get the Tonberry DMW. For a second there, I thought you were talking about the materia that increases the odds of you getting certain DMW. I'm not sure if there are any for summons, though.

Rosencrantz
04-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Speaking of which, I really don't like how, at the end of the Nibelheim incident, spoiler stuff, kinda

Yeah, but that IS exactly how it happens in FFVII, once Cloud regains his true memories or whatever.

Gredlen
04-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Yeah, but that IS exactly how it happens in FFVII, once Cloud regains his true memories or whatever.

My memories of FF7 are pretty fuzzy, so I forgot how it actually happened (as depicted there). All I remember is the altered version, so I just figured whatever Cloud thought he did was actually Zack. I still don't like it because it's kind of inexplicable, but I guess I can't complain too much if that's the case.

djSyndrome
04-08-2008, 06:39 AM
I'm doing a second runthrough and going for 100% mission completion this time around. In trying to beat every mission as soon as it opens up, I'm finding that missions are a lot harder with only four materia slots and no access to fusion :\

Kishi
04-08-2008, 06:53 AM
I'm totally going to take the rood-shaped beams in the back of the church as a Vagrant Story shout out. I don't remember what was there in the original or AC, though.

The exact same beams.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/ffviichurchinteriorb.jpg

By the way, I hate how the church has been changed from a rustic, outwardly wooden structure to a towering, drab stone citadel. It doesn't even make sense in the context of the slums. I love your copious fan service, Crisis Core, so please don't pepper it with occasional failures in continuity!