PDA

View Full Version : Alt 19: River-Frickin'-City Ransom

Parish
04-20-2008, 08:56 AM
On Virtual Console tomorrow! Start playing today! GBA version acceptable.

River City Ransom
NES | Pure Awesomesauce | Technos | 1989

Phat
04-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Oh, we doin' this.

KCar
04-20-2008, 09:23 AM
In, in, so very very in.

I am going to make men barf for moneys.

nunix
04-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I dunno if this is actually happening or not.. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52285 is the only sourced article I could find, and it now has a retraction.

locit
04-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Oh hell yes.

SilentSnake
04-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Finally, something to make me not feel guilty for not playing Metal Gear Solid after I beat it!

Not having played this before, I'm curious to see what the fuss is all about. I can't wait to play it and find out.

Balrog
04-20-2008, 12:17 PM
I love this game so much it's retarded. I'm up for playthrough #1321.

Dadgum Roi
04-20-2008, 12:50 PM
I dunno if this is actually happening or not..

Blood pressure...rising.

Swordian
04-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Monday's games will be RCR and Phantasy Star III. There is someone on GAF who gets the PR on Friday or Saturday every week.

I've never played RCR, so I can't wait to download it after work tomorrow.

Eusis
04-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Monday's games will be RCR and Phantasy Star III. There is someone on GAF who gets the PR on Friday or Saturday every week.
I swore something other than PSIII was coming Monday. Then again I probably blocked out everything but River City Ransom.

Merus
04-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Look, at least one person here will be playing River City Ransom, so the rest of you can suck it up and get a NES or something. I can finally join in on a Fun Club. Don't take that away from me!

SilentSnake
04-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Look, at least one person here will be playing River City Ransom, so the rest of you can suck it up and get a NES or something. I can finally join in on a Fun Club. Don't take that away from me!

Well there also is the GBA one remember...At least that's MY plan B, though I might think twice if its too expensive. Anyone know what it would cost now?

Niku
04-20-2008, 05:51 PM
I remember the GBA version having a really ass-backwards and bizarre save system, but it made up for it by being brokenly customizable in both appearance (well, all within Kunio art standards anyway) and the fact that you could trick your guy out with various boss moves.

Like telekinesis.

... yeah, digging out my copy.

nunix
04-20-2008, 06:11 PM
If I remember right, RCR EX only has some kind of new game+ system; you couldn't save in the middle of a game, but some of your stats would carry over. It irritated me so much at the time of its release I didn't bother playing it for more than an hour or three (total; took it back, if I recall), but I'm in a more rogue-y mindset these days so maybe it'd actually be interesting.

The main feature was being able to tweak the physics and difficulty to a fair precision, having an AI-controlled ally, and being able to unlock and use a lot of the game's characters (and some cameos?) as your ally. Oh, and updated dialogue, some of which was kind of amusing. (BizARF!)

Of course, the big thing in RCR for me is two-player mode, which EX doesn't have. It's LIKE the original but it's definitely not a straight port. Different experience.

Ilchymis
04-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I've never played RCR, but I'm down to try it with everyone else.

When we startin'?

Niku
04-20-2008, 06:38 PM
So yeah. I just loaded up my old character stats on my GBA copy.

I can run across a screen in approximately a second or two, and when I kick, I teleport around like Nightcrawler. When I jump, I fly off the top of the screen. I can double jump, and I can start running in mid-air. I can pick up all items on the screen with my psychic powers and fling them into a villain. I am unto a god.

Tomm Guycot
04-20-2008, 06:39 PM
I think this is the most talk a FC game has gotten before the FC actually starts.

Octopus Prime
04-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Since it's the River City, I am not surprised.

I'm going to fire up my copy of the GBA version later. See just how strong I was when I left off. Or if I had started a new game in lieu of using my bodaciously awesome Alex/Ryan.

Gredlen
04-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Fun fact: You can beat up Tomm in RCR EX.

Balrog
04-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Personally, I prefer the NES version but I will have to give the EX version props for having an item that lets you edit your character. I've got an ugly little bald guy running around beating the BizARF out of people. I think I'll do a back to back playthrough of each one on this FC since you can beat the game in a day.

Fun Fact: I did a text/graphics hack of the NES rom about five years ago. It was awful.

Parish
04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
I think this is the most talk a FC game has gotten before the FC actually starts.
Except people are free to start any time, since it's not as though the game isn't readily available in myriad forms.

mopinks
04-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I accidentally left my copy of River City Ransom at my grandma's house and I've been forgetting to get it back for fifteen damn years. I hope it's doing okay!

I still remember getting the game from my parents as a Hanukkah gift, and having no idea what the hell it was. what a pleasant surprise! I don't think I ever actually beat it, but my friends and I had so much fun running around aimlessly and throwing guys into other guys that it really didn't make much difference.

man, I hope I have 500 Wii points lying around. :<

Merus
04-20-2008, 07:38 PM
What I want to know is, do I get to beat up Gideon?

ShakeWell
04-20-2008, 09:48 PM
So, which do you guys get first, Stone Hands or Dragon Feet?

Tomm Guycot
04-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Dragon Feet 4 lyf

Balrog
04-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Dragon Feet. Kicking > Punching. Also, you're more likely to be in a position to kick someone lower than you as opposed to punching someone who is above you. I think the enemies don't jump onto higher platforms in the NES version.

liquid
04-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Wait until FES.

Jakanden
04-21-2008, 03:19 AM

I always did Stone Hands myself and did it again this weekend's play through. I do like Dragon Feet though especially when combined with the Texas Boots, but I usually end up getting Stone Hands first.

I replayed this again on Saturday and this game is still amazingly fun. Even after all these years though, my favorite part of the game is still the double dragon theme when fighting the twins. I don't think that will ever get old.

I am curious as to what is your "go to" power up food? I never really figured out what food is best price vs value and since I never can remember what does what, I always end up getting different food on each play through. It would be nice to finally know what to get each time for once.

EDIT: On a related note; how do you all like the GBA version? I have heard mixed views so I never picked it up.

estragon
04-21-2008, 04:07 AM
This and a whole bunch of other games like it (sequels? prequels?) have been on Japanese VC for a while, and I didn't realize it had such a following.

I just started it, and I have to say it's pretty freaking fun in an 8-bit sort of way. The controls are better than a lot of the brawlers like this on the SNES, and the addition of stat grinding fulfills all of m OCD urges.

Good times.

Does anyone have advice about what the best way to eat to gain stats here? It seems like the first time I eat something I get good stat boosts but if I eat it again sometimes I don't get any. Is this part of the game or is it just happening like this randomly?

EDIT: Also, I think I jumped once or twice. How do I do this again?

Jakanden
04-21-2008, 04:21 AM
This and a whole bunch of other games like it (sequels? prequels?) have been on Japanese VC for a while, and I didn't realize it had such a following.

Yeah, It is one of those games that never sold well but has a huge cult following after the fact.

Does anyone have advice about what the best way to eat to gain stats here? It seems like the first time I eat something I get good stat boosts but if I eat it again sometimes I don't get any. Is this part of the game or is it just happening like this randomly?

I wish I knew the answer, but like I said above, even after all this time I still don't know exactly how the food works.

EDIT: Also, I think I jumped once or twice. How do I do this again?

Both A and B at the same time. You can also run by tapping in a direction twice and you can also attack while doing so.

mopinks
04-21-2008, 04:27 AM
I really wish they'd brought more of the Kunio-kun games to the US. :< Nekketsu Kakatou Densetsu (http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/kunio/kunio2.htm) in particular is really awesome. it's the next best thing to an NES version of Smash Bros!

Balrog
04-21-2008, 05:35 AM
I usually grind for money fighting Benny and Clyde and spend my money in that secret shop in the tunnel after the W.S.L. Warehouse. I know that the Isis Scroll is the best way to up your throwing power cheaply but throwing backfires a lot in two player so upgrade at your own risk.

ArugulaZ
04-21-2008, 05:41 AM
Yeah, the Kunio series is pretty sweet, aside from a few awkward experiments like that snack-stacking puzzle game and the Super NES game where Kunio and his friend find themselves in prison. For some reason, that one just didn't do anything for me... it felt rather stiff and sluggish, and the art bordered on fugly.

You know what really amazes me about the original River City Ransom on the NES? The brilliant writing. Previous NES games treated you to such wacky misspellings as "Well Come to Your Doom" and "I Feel Asleep," while RCR seems like it was lovingly written by native English speakers. It's not as tongue-in-cheek as most adventure games are NOW, but River City Ransom was a real pioneer back in its time. Game developers finally started to realize that dialog is IMPORTANT!

ArugulaZ
04-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Personally, I prefer the NES version but I will have to give the EX version props for having an item that lets you edit your character. I've got an ugly little bald guy running around beating the BizARF out of people. I think I'll do a back to back playthrough of each one on this FC since you can beat the game in a day.

Fun Fact: I did a text/graphics hack of the NES rom about five years ago. It was awful.

Was it Wilford Brimley Battle? Or are my expectations too high?

Balrog
04-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Was it Wilford Brimley Battle? Or are my expectations too high?
Naw, it never saw the light of day and I lost the last copy when I did a clean install on my laptop. I could probably crank it out again in a week now that I know what I'm doing...

Jakanden
04-21-2008, 06:15 AM
I usually grind for money fighting Benny and Clyde and spend my money in that secret shop

Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever bought anything from the secret shop. I do also grind Benny and Clyde though as that is fast cash on both battles of them.

Octopus Prime
04-21-2008, 07:08 AM
It turns out I had deleted my orginal save from the GBA version, so I'm starting from scratch. I had forgotten how smooth the combat is in this game. I'm currently rockin' the Dragon Feet and am buying any piece of food I see. Also, magazines, because how else would I learn about Nuclear Spies?

While taking the free Smiles from Merv's was unforgivable (and not changing the clothes, to a lesser extent), giving us "Bizzarf" more then makes up for it.

Oh Homeboys, you're the best gang ever.

KCar
04-21-2008, 07:45 AM
I used to play this with a friend, but we'd get caught up in playing "high stakes baseball" - it's fun and easy: one player picks up a bat-equivalent (pipe, whatever) and the other player grabs something he can pitch (a stone, for instance). You line up across from each other, exchanging a fiery gaze that conceals great violence. Finally, whoever is pitching throws, and the batter must hit the "ball" or be hit. Add the fact that the batter can pitch his "bat" across the screen at the pitcher, you have a madcap game where anything goes! *slide-whistle*

Also - the one where they wind up in prison was kind of fugly, but I had a lot of fun with it. Beats the pants off of the Combatribes, though that's not necessarily saying anything.

reibeatall
04-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Guys, I don't "get" this game. I'm doing it wrong.

estragon
04-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Well, I didn't plan on going through this in one night, but every time I stopped I kept coming back an hour or so later . . . and then it was over. That was a short and sweet good time. It'll be fun to do it again with a friend some time.

Think of it like a really short RPG.

Balrog
04-21-2008, 08:31 AM

Try playing with someone else. Buy the powerups.

reibeatall
04-21-2008, 08:35 AM
I only have the Tomm version.

And no friends.

poetfox
04-21-2008, 08:58 AM
I was all "I'm going to get home from class and buy this off of Virtual Console and play it with my brother for the first time and it's going to be awesome!" But Nintendo hasn't updated the shop channel yet to let me buy it. I am annoyed.

WreckTheLaw
04-21-2008, 10:22 AM
That's how we do it in the RC.

I might be getting a few friends to sign up for the forums just for the funclub. Where they go from there, who knows. But one is a long term RCR fanboy who knows more about the series than I care to, so I figured he'd be a good addition to the talk.

Torgo
04-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I only have the Tomm version.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this might be your problem. I've been a huge fan of RCR since I was four or five years old, but I've tried playing EX a few times over the past couple years and I can't seem to sync with it. I realize part of my problem is that I'm trying to play it exactly like the original, but I can't help it. Any gangs above the Frat Boys beat the stuffing out of me, and the Generic Dudes give out so little change it's not even worthwhile.

I like EX, I just can't click with all the mechanical tweaks and additions. Tips anyone?

Oh, and Acro Circus. Smack him jumping in the air, then finish him off with a mid-air kick. Sweet.

Tomm Guycot
04-21-2008, 10:50 AM
While I sadly don't know for sure, I think the Merv's Burger smile was ADDED to the NES version - so it's not a case of removing it for EX, it's a case of not re-adding it.

And the uniforms weren't our call, but at the time the RCR community demanded it anyway, so it worked out for them.

Balrog
04-21-2008, 11:09 AM
I was playing last night and the smile is in the chicken restaurant as well. How could I forget?

WildVulture
04-21-2008, 11:26 AM
That's how we do it in the RC.

I might be getting a few friends to sign up for the forums just for the funclub. Where they go from there, who knows. But one is a long term RCR fanboy who knows more about the series than I care to, so I figured he'd be a good addition to the talk.

Sup.

WreckTheLaw sent me a heads up about these boards and this topic specifically. River City Ransom is one of my all time favorites, and I can't wait to get out of my office and get on it tonight. My brother's best friend had this game for the NES and we'd marathon it once a month at least. When the GBA version came out I thought "well, sometimes things don't age so well, so I shouldn't keep my expectations high."
I was wrong, it still rocked. I even liked the way they punched up the translations and allowed for character creations. "This is how we do it in the RC" is one of my favorite game lines ever.

Tonight, when I hear those first strains of the main theme, I know that River City will be clogged with BAAAAARFF and trash cans once again.
Can't. Wait.

I like EX, I just can't click with all the mechanical tweaks and additions. Tips anyone?

Ex definitely has tougher goons, but between the new books and smart sushi eating, you can stomp them out. In the beginning, note that Alex starts with Dragon Kick and Ryan starts with Mach Punch. Those moves are great, but depend on your punch or kick stat, so focus on raising it. In Grotto Mall, grab the Cali Roll to boost your punch, Crab to boost weapon skill (highly recommended!) and Salmon boosts kick. They also restore your health, so you should be doing most of your healing there. Also, scrape together whatever money you can and purchase grand slam as soon as possible. It lets you attack rapidly with a weapon, so if you're eating your Crab you can absolutely murder dudes.

alpha jammer
04-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Hey all. WreckTheLaw gave me a heads up about this thread.

The first time I played RCR was on the GBA, and it was definitely odd getting my head around the save, stat and item system.
There was a really helpful shrine up at RPGClassics (http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/nes/rcr/shop/shop1.shtml)that has a full item list and what stats get powered up when you eat them. It was super helpful for me b/c I didn't have all the knowledge that my buddy Wild Vulture had from playing it when he was younger.

The eccentricities of EX aside, this game is just a ton of fun. Getting rival gang leaders to join you and follow you around was a big surprise for me. I am looking forwards to playing the NES original after work today.

SilentSnake
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
I just got the game, fired it up and started playing. I picked up someone from off the ground and used him as a weapon. I fear this is the start of something great.

Mightyblue
04-21-2008, 12:15 PM
While I sadly don't know for sure, I think the Merv's Burger smile was ADDED to the NES version - so it's not a case of removing it for EX, it's a case of not re-adding it.Enh, it could be original to the JP version, since nerd trivia states that there are burger places in Japan where you can order a smile. Forget exactly where I learned that, but probably from some anime or comparing fast food experiences with the the Japanese exchange students on campus I think.

ShakeWell
04-21-2008, 12:16 PM
I usually grind for money fighting Benny and Clyde

Everyone grinds for money from Benny and Clyde, they're chumps with a lot of cash.

It's all about Grand Slam.

Also, does anyone else sometimes play with another person, then just power up one guy, get the password, then enter it for both guys and start over? It's a fun, quick and dirty way to rock through the game quicker with two players.

WildVulture
04-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Everyone grinds for money from Benny and Clyde, they're chumps with a lot of cash.

It's all about Grand Slam.

Also, does anyone else sometimes play with another person, then just power up one guy, get the password, then enter it for both guys and start over? It's a fun, quick and dirty way to rock through the game quicker with two players.

Don't forget to kill your partner for cash before you restart! I think that only worked on the NES though.
Getting your Rep up in EX can be tough. You lose massive amounts of rep for attacking anyone when they're talking or hitting someone when they're down. It's an invisible stat, which is even more of a pain, but you have to get it up to get more gang leaders to join up. Aside from beating on dudes, you get +1 rep for getting knocked down. So the quick and dirty way to raise up your rep is just to run into a wall a few dozen times. Not the most glorious way to bump your rep, but it works.

Hey @Jammer!

SilentSnake
04-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I kinda don't know when to grind and when to press on. Most of the time when I die, it kinda seems beatable, but I don't know whether I'm meant to wait or not. Also, do you lose money when you die? I can never tell. Oh and I wish I knew which store items gave me what without buying them then writing them down. I also have to say that I like the sound. The punching noises take me back to my childhood when I played Double Dragon II on my NES.

Aquadeo
04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Just toying around with it now for the first time ever. Wow, it's almost like what I think all 8-bit games are supposed to be like, except funnier.

Also, I can't think of many other examples in gaming where the main character is actually nice to shopkeepers. He smiles, he looks appreciative when he's eating his waffles, he politely shakes his head if he doesn't want anything... and it's all done without slowing down the gameplay, to boot.

Sure, Alex and Ryan put on a tough face when they're on the streets. But deep down, they're having a grand old time.

nunix
04-21-2008, 04:28 PM
You lose half your money, I think, on being de-feated.

Eusis
04-21-2008, 04:47 PM
I died for the first time by running into a pole.

Ilchymis
04-21-2008, 05:50 PM
I died for the first time by running into a pole.

Seconded. I'm feeling a little lost playing this as well, but it sure is good fun. When you die, do you lose stats or anything big? Should I generally buy every food I can, since they're the way to "level up"?

I'm enBARFjoying it so far.

Phat
04-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Benny & Clyde just juggled me for like thirty seconds and then Benny threw me into the river.

Jakanden
04-21-2008, 06:15 PM
When you die, do you lose stats or anything big?.

Nah, you just return to town with half your money.

SilentSnake
04-21-2008, 06:20 PM
I should've said something before, but the little blurbs of words that appear when you defeat someone was a brilliant idea. Little details like this add to the immersion factor, even for an 8-bit game like this. I was also suprised at the wide variety of shops. I get food stores. That's pretty much a given for a game. But a shoe store? Toy store? CD store??? More than necessary, but that's why it works so well. Extra effort.

ShakeWell
04-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Benny & Clyde just juggled me for like thirty seconds and then Benny threw me into the river.

You got chumpatized, yo. Next time, bring a chain or a pipe.

Phat
04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
It's almost random, though. I'll be farming them for ten, twenty minutes and then they'll go fucking super saiyan and kick the shit out of me.

Eusis
04-21-2008, 07:44 PM
It's almost random, though. I'll be farming them for ten, twenty minutes and then they'll go fucking super saiyan and kick the shit out of me.
Or keep throwing you. Man, I wish I was thrown in a river, at least that's a funny way to die and not simply being thrown over and over until I finally die.

Aplsos
04-21-2008, 07:46 PM

ACRO CIRCUS. My biggest beef with EX was how it was changed from a fun, useful gimmick move into an unstoppable death roll.

On the other hand, the improved trashcans were great and I never got tired of hucking them.

ArugulaZ
04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
EX was just all-around broken. There wasn't really a smooth progression of difficulty... either the enemies wiped their feet and parts beyond on you, or they were helpless against your ultra-powerful special moves. I wish there had been some kind of middle ground. Once you've purchased the right attacks, the game was as good as over.

Patrick
04-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Since VC has a save state, I never have to use the code, right? Also, is there a way for a 2nd player to join in, or do I have to start over? I could deal with only playing this co-op, if that means that I don't have to write down that mess of letters.

I like the idea that all you lose from dying is half of your money. I could see myself powering up my character like crazy.

Ample Vigour
04-21-2008, 11:36 PM
EX was just all-around broken.

I've only ever played EX, and talk like this makes me wish I had the NES version to contrast the two. On my copy of EX, Alex runs through the air and teleport-attacks with the Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken; there was simply no challenge left in the game after I reached the 3/4s done mark.

Is the NES version really the superior of the two, full stop?

Ghost from Spelunker
04-21-2008, 11:56 PM

Stone Hands. Never Dragon Feet.
Dragon Feet deletes your Rebound Attack (run, jump, kick). It's mad fun to see how many times you can hop.

ArugulaZ
04-21-2008, 11:57 PM
The NES version is superior in a lot of ways. First, it's got two player action, which the Game Boy Advance version doesn't have (way to drop the ball there, Million). Secondly, the progression of difficulty is a bit smoother, although it still becomes much too easy once your characters are sufficiently powered up. Third, the amount of effort put into the localization is greatly appreciated. The shirt and pants the characters wear in River City Ransom work better in America than the baggy school uniforms in Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari.

Having said all that, the Game Boy Advance version does have its advantages. More moves are available to the player (although some feel awkward) and there's more detail to both the characters and their backgrounds. A larger number of onscreen characters means that battles are more chaotic. Finally, there's the character design mode which you unlock at the end of the game. I've never tried this, but it sounds like a good way to extend the game's replayability.

Finally, there's that River City Ransom conversion which nobody talks about... the one for the X68000 computer. It's supposed to have a larger, slightly less linear world, but I never played enough of it to confirm that. Probably the most disappointing thing about the game is that it isn't a significant improvement over the 8-bit original, with the same graphics and slightly enhanced sound effects. This is the computer that gave us Castlevania Chronicles... it could have done a whole lot better than this!

One more thing. There's a sequel to River City Ransom that takes place in ancient Japan... instead of parks, you travel through bamboo forests, and instead of garbage cans, you fight with rickshaws and other thematically relevant weapons. The topography of the stages is a little more interesting (I seem to recall hills and valleys) but past that it's 100% RCR. I don't recall the name of the game, though... could someone help me out with that?

mopinks
04-22-2008, 12:05 AM
One more thing. There's a sequel to River City Ransom that takes place in ancient Japan... instead of parks, you travel through bamboo forests, and instead of garbage cans, you fight with rickshaws and other thematically relevant weapons. The topography of the stages is a little more interesting (I seem to recall hills and valleys) but past that it's 100% RCR. I don't recall the name of the game, though... could someone help me out with that?

Kunio Kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou! (http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/kunio/kunio.htm)

I never did put much time into it, but it seemed pretty cool.

pence
04-22-2008, 01:26 AM
An initial survey of my roommates reveals that, out of five people, I am the only one who remembers playing RCR at all. My cousin rented it, and I played it co-operatively over at his house for... it couldn't have been more than 30 minutes. But the game made a huge impact on me at the age of 7 or 8, it was the first time I had seen RPG elements mashed somewhere they clearly did not belong. I had played Double Dragon, yes. I had played Dragon Warrior for sure. But this was something entirely bizarre, a sort of... Double Dragon Warrior.

Long story short, 500 Wii Points well spent. I have no idea where to go, or what to do, but it's still stupid, punch-y kick-y fun of the best sort.

Crested Penguin
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
I've never played this before, but my wife and I started a two player game last night. She was pretty skeptical of first, but once we had gone to a few malls, and especially after we had each gotten either Dragon Feet or Stone Hands, it became clear that this is the spiritual ancestor of the cooperative action-rpgs that we play together whenever one comes out. The silliness helps, too. And the ability to throw each other into the enemies.

I'm very interested in the weird physics of the game. Everything is made of rubber. If you jump into a wall, you bounce in the opposite direction, same with thrown/kicked items. I'm sure people have come up with weird ways to exploit this stuff.

Octopus Prime
04-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Riding on a thrown tire, ruthlessly battering every enemy who stumbles into your way is one of the true joys in life.

WildVulture
04-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Last night WrecktheLaw and I sat down and started cleaning up the city. We had a few co-op related mishaps (if you have high throw, you better be accurate) but made it all the way to River City High.
I hadn't played the NES version is a while, but we figured out which foods raised what, and we managed to pick up skill books relatively quickly. I want to farm more money so I can buy some Texas Boots or Excalibur, but we really, really don't need any of those.
Maybe I'll play through EX also. Gameplay balance aside, you can't tell me that busing out a Psycho Crusher isn't awesome.

Brickroad
04-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Guys today on my way to work there was this gang fight in a parking lot across from the bagel place, and this kid picked up this other kid who was holding a garbage can and beat several other kids with him. The kids totally said BARF and then turned into bouncing quarters. One kid screamed "Is this fun yet!?" and tried to run, but he got hit with a thrown rock and turned into a slightly larger bouncing quarter that was worth exactly $7.50.

RCR isn't just a video game, it's a documentary on gang warfare. I know, I was shocked too.

Dadgum Roi
04-22-2008, 10:46 AM
I played for a bit last night before passing out. I played single player, like I used to when it came out, because I had no friends who were into it. Single player is much harder than 2P sounds- the way that the screen doesn't scroll unless your character is practically on the edge of it really leaves you vulnerable to rush attacks from offscreen baddies. I did a bit of grinding and item experimentation before putting it down.

Balrog
04-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I like the RCR totem pole:

Trashcan
Alex
Trashcan
Ryan
Trashcan
Enemy

It's funny how the enemies just start running if you jump on top of their trashcan.

Brickroad
04-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Trashcan
Alex
Trashcan
Ryan
Trashcan
Enemy

Pics or it didn't happen.

No seriously, pics. This sounds effin' rad, yo.

SamuelMarston
04-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Holy crap this game is rad! It lets you eat waffles!

ArugulaZ
04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
And hug teddy bears!

But only while nobody's looking.

Balrog
04-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

No seriously, pics. This sounds effin' rad, yo.

http://www.freewebs.com/pandaga/RiverCityRansomTotemPole.png

I can't take credit for the idea. The original manual encouraged this and RCR Baseball...

Sanagi
04-22-2008, 03:58 PM
I've never played this before, but my wife and I started a two player game last night. She was pretty skeptical of first, but once we had gone to a few malls, and especially after we had each gotten either Dragon Feet or Stone Hands, it became clear that this is the spiritual ancestor of the cooperative action-rpgs that we play together whenever one comes out. The silliness helps, too. And the ability to throw each other into the enemies.
That's a good way to look at it. It's somewhere in between Double Dragon and Secret of Mana.

I'm very interested in the weird physics of the game. Everything is made of rubber. If you jump into a wall, you bounce in the opposite direction, same with thrown/kicked items. I'm sure people have come up with weird ways to exploit this stuff.
I saw an awesome tool-assisted run of the game that was all about exploiting trashcans.

You know what really amazes me about the original River City Ransom on the NES? The brilliant writing.
The gangsters all went back to school and got straight As. Now that's a happy ending!

Eusis
04-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Blasted through it last night. I did wind up consulting a faq though when I wanted to find out what food was best for boosting defense, and what I had to do to beat the game (I rushed past some bosses).

That Old Chestnut
04-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Well there also is the GBA one remember...At least that's MY plan B, though I might think twice if its too expensive. Anyone know what it would cost now?

I got my copy at a Gamestop for around $5.00 (that was sometime around the end of 2007). I may have to check the receipt, but I'm pretty sure it was around $5.00. Not a bad deal at all.

Ilchymis
04-23-2008, 01:42 AM
I got my copy at a Gamestop for around $5.00 (that was sometime around the end of 2007). I may have to check the receipt, but I'm pretty sure it was around $5.00. Not a bad deal at all.

That's almost two MervBurger's! I consider it a steal.

I enjoyed the few hours I put in last night, even though I was confused as absolute shit for the first half of it. I didn't get how you had to clear the screen before the bosses showed up, so I completely missed Benny & Clyde and just beat up a bunch of Homeboy chumps in order to up my food intake. Since I didn't know what was going on, I kind of approached it like a rogue-like and went as far as I could, died, and bought Chinese food with my surviving spare change. In retrospect this is probably one of the worst ways to play the game.

Either way, I finally "got it" and am enjoying it now. I think I just beat the crap out of someone named Thor or something in a gymnasium that I couldn't progress out of? I can't remember. I have both stone hands and dragon feet, but my inner child that grew up with Road Rash just loves beating foes senseless with chains. It's so damn effective and brutal!

Thanks for making me finally play this game, Talking Time. I just wish I had another super-deformed friend to play baseball with. :(

ArugulaZ
04-23-2008, 04:34 AM
Oh no, is this the end of this thread...?

Anyway, I was kind of wondering about the price of items in RCR. Were those costs tweaked in the GBA sequel to reflect twenty years of inflation? It's been ages since I've played that game, so I can't really say for sure.

Dadgum Roi
04-23-2008, 05:28 AM
I've probably got around an hour in and have finally picked up Dragon Feet. Awesome. I wonder if you could avoid having to buy them and Stone Hands if you had a Max or an Advantage(or other turbo-enabled controller)? Turbo was always a fickle mistress.

I haven't gotten very far, as I wasted a lot of money on food instead of concentrating on getting either SH or DF, but DF is good enough that things look to get a bit easier from here on out. At least I powered up my kick.

Is there any way to check your stats? Also, do they max out?

Balrog
04-23-2008, 05:49 AM
Guys, you may not know this but Grand Slam and a chain is the way.

ShakeWell
04-23-2008, 09:22 AM
I shame anyone who doesn't know that.

For sheer comedy, Grand Slam and a downed gang member is the way to go.

Torgo
04-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Ex definitely has tougher goons, but between the new books and smart sushi eating, you can stomp them out. In the beginning, note that Alex starts with Dragon Kick and Ryan starts with Mach Punch. Those moves are great, but depend on your punch or kick stat, so focus on raising it. In Grotto Mall, grab the Cali Roll to boost your punch, Crab to boost weapon skill (highly recommended!) and Salmon boosts kick. They also restore your health, so you should be doing most of your healing there. Also, scrape together whatever money you can and purchase grand slam as soon as possible. It lets you attack rapidly with a weapon, so if you're eating your Crab you can absolutely murder dudes.
The wonder of the sushi bar is now perfectly clear to me. Now that I'm getting my stats up and I can hold my own a little bit better, it's starting to fall into place. For now I've just been grinding in Sticksville and Sherman Park. Sooner then later here I'm going to starting beating the tar out of the bosses.

I think the Dragons might be my favorite new gang in EX. What they make up for in wussieness they lose in sheer incompetence.

Tomm Guycot
04-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Oh no, is this the end of this thread...?

Anyway, I was kind of wondering about the price of items in RCR. Were those costs tweaked in the GBA sequel to reflect twenty years of inflation? It's been ages since I've played that game, so I can't really say for sure.

Yen.

ArugulaZ
04-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Er... that doesn't answer my question. Please elaborate?

(if memory serves, 1 yen is roughly 1 penny in American currency. That's probably more accurate than it was in the 1990s due to the plunging value of the dollar)

That Old Chestnut
04-23-2008, 01:25 PM
I think Tomm's just saying that prices in the GBA version have precisely jack to do with the current strength of the U.S. dollar.

Japanese Game = Japanese Prices

All joking (?) aside, the only thing that's really gone up is the price of the special move books. Get ready to pay at least $100 if you want to learn any new moves. Even Acro Circus, which was around $30 in the original, costs around $300 in the GBA version. That's a lot of shakedowns right there.

Some of the food is actually a little cheaper than in the original, though.

That being said, in the GBA version, you can actually throw the garbage cans over the thugs' heads, and they'll just run around until they hit a wall.

I'll let that speak for itself.

Tomm Guycot
04-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Er... that doesn't answer my question. Please elaborate?

(if memory serves, 1 yen is roughly 1 penny in American currency. That's probably more accurate than it was in the 1990s due to the plunging value of the dollar)

NES version: punk drops $1.50

GBA version: punk drops 150 yen

Clear it up?

ArugulaZ
04-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Chestnut answered my question, actually. Thanks, though!

That Old Chestnut
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM
GBA version: punk drops 150 yen

Clear it up?

It would have if the thugs didn't still drop dollars and cents in the localized version. Unless there's a "dollars to yen" option I don't know about. Lord only knows you can adjust everything else in this version. Why not that?

Still though, it beats the hell out of looking up actual conversion rates.

By the way, for anybody who's beat the GBA version, how long did it take you to get sufficiently powered up enough to beat Slick? I've beaten everything else in the game but him, and he still (whited out for possible spoilers) pounds me into a puddle with his GODDAMN Telekinesis. >:(

More importantly, where do you learn Telekinesis, anyway? I want to go all Tetsuo on somebody's ass!

Oh well, at least Slick actually feels like a final boss this time around.
Oh my God, does he ever feel like a final boss.

That Old Chestnut
04-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Crap, I killed the thread, didn't I?

Sorry about that, thread. :(

Balrog
04-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Just to keep the discussion going...do you guys consider RCR to be the progenitor of GTA: San Andreas, No More Heroes, Crackdown and Godhand?

Dadgum Roi
04-25-2008, 10:44 AM
What's the deal with the bosses? I can't find a FAQ that clearly explains how you get them to appear. I've beaten Moose, Mojo, and I think another one so far(Turk?).

pence
04-25-2008, 11:59 AM
What's the deal with the bosses? I can't find a FAQ that clearly explains how you get them to appear. I've beaten Moose, Mojo, and I think another one so far(Turk?).

From my one playthrough, this is how I remember it:

Rocko -> Blade -> Thor -> Ivan
Benny and Clyde -> Benny and Clyde mk2

Ilchymis
04-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Don't let this thread die!

I wish I could play this game via the internet with someone else. I'm really blown away by how well this game was done, espeiclally considering it was made in 1988. Yowza!

KCar
04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
What is there to say other than this game is undiluted fun? It's like they supersaturated a solution with fun, and then added one last grain, causing crystallized fun to emerge from the beaker.

Or maybe fun leapt, fully formed, from the head of Awesome.

Or maybe fun developed a respiratory system and legs, and emerged from the sea of Rad-tastic.

Fun. Hell yeah.